Hey Sup Forums did a storm ever fry your electronics?

Hey Sup Forums did a storm ever fry your electronics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hpigjnKl7nI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No because all of my valuable electronics are plugged into a surge protector.

Nah one of these little shits destroyed a motherboard once though
Never buy cheap (

I like you

Have one of those too for my tv & pc, was wondering if people cam tell me some of their stories

CHINK'D

This. Its easier and cheaper to get a $15 surge protector from walmart then it is to replace all your shit.

>storm going on outside
>in house dry and comfy
>power goes out
>read book
>power goes on
>get on computer again

Yeah. Had a bitchin' XPS m170, which was hot shit at the time.

Hurricane Ike came through houston and a power surge must have just royally fucked it. I was trying to play a game during the storm, and power kept fluctuating and eventually went out (for over a week).

First and last gaming laptop.

The network port of a motherboard refused to work after a storm. The modem and switch were OK though, and the rest of the mobo worked. A new PCI card was enough.

A client of mine does loss adjustment. We have seen plenty of fried transformers, antennæ and surge protectors.

ya i left my iPhone 6 next to a large piece of sheet metal at the top of a tree once and it got zapped by a lightning bolt

moral of the story: iphones are for fags

Let me tell you a story of a storm where a powerfull magnetic force from a lightning (probably stronger than an EMP) fried up all the security from museum I work at and a lot of other places. In my house the magnetic shock turned off all my electronics for 2 secs.

>inb4 man loss-adjustment
claims adjustment for bloody colonial rebels

I tied my brand new iPhone 6s+ that my wife's boyfriend bought for me as a gift (it was their aniversery but the had to give me a gift to consolidate me). I tied the phone to a kite during a lightning storm and it got struck! wtf i hate lightning now

wait uhh, what do magnetic forces and lightning have to do with each other

That's fucked

Yes. A lightning stroke the power grid near my house, it fried the things plugged in a socket. Two computers, a router and a CRT monitor.

"Objects struck bylightningexperience heat andmagnetic forcesof great magnitude."

I'm asking why magnetic shit happens

Does this help you in any manner?

Imagine the lightning strike is a wire

Currents exert a change in the magnetic field and vice-versa; that's how transformers work. If suddenly a strong current with a tremendous intensity flows from the firmaments to the ground, a short-lived but strong force, as if those near a lodestone, springs to life.

TLDR: this

The Bible doesn't say anything about this tho...

>2girlslaughingwiththeirhandsincloseproximitytotheirrespectivemouths.gif(1)(1).jpeg

No because I don't live in the 3rd world.

This isn't church, this is science

A router + modem died. Nothing more. They where plugged in directly to the wall socket, no surge protector.

Needed to get rid of that D-LINK DIR 655 anyways. Any torrent would just kill it.

God created science.

For fucks sake

Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion or do we have to put you in time out?

youtube.com/watch?v=hpigjnKl7nI

Never happened. The worst thing has been my computer rebooting because sometimes during lightning storms the power would go out for a second or two before coming back. This was maybe 10 years ago so it seems nowadays they have better protection in place.

>they
>not using your own protection
Such an oversight is only understandable, but not even then acceptable, if you have underground cabling.

A power surge wiped my Super Smash Brothers save off the cart after I had unlocked everything. I'm still mad.

That looks beautiful. Also saw it test while watching Grandma's boy. Nice, then Dell went another route and released a more dull generation of XPS laptops(one I currently own).

Fried my family's VCR when I was a kid. Otherwise no.

unlikely, the battery would act as a buffer.

Live in florida for the last 15 years.
Never lost a thing until recently.
Large storm hit a few weeks ago.
Power flicked on and off a few times. My xbox 360 wireless adapter i have plugged into my computer got fried.
2spoopy4me just heard a loud thundercrack

Arguably better protection than a surge protector would just be a simple lightning rod to shunt the high current to ground.

Story time fags so gather around and stop licking dust off the floor.

>be user from shitty third world country
>here the electricity/telephone/internet cables are not underground (pic related)
>big storm approaching
>decide not to risk it so I pulled the PC's plug out of the socket
>huge storm ensues, lasts all night
>next day plug my PC back
>press the power button
>nothing
>check if it is plugged and press again
>fuck you, still nothing
>see that modem is not turning on either
>must be a fuse
>nope, the fuse is not blown
>try charging my phone in the same socket and it works

During the night lighting hit the internet cable that was going from the pole to my home and because of that my modem, motherboard and GPU got fried. Fun times.

You're retarded for not unplugging your modem too, that was common knowledge at the time.

no, but school nearby was hit by huge ball lightning. Part of roof was just ripped off and rest of it burned down, some walls cracked/misaligned and all of the electronics inside building fried.

Actually it was unplugged, but who the fuck would pull out the internet cable from it?

Idiot

Well, why wouldn't electricity try going through all of the paths that are available to it?
I remember we used to unplug every fucking thing connected to the phone or power lines (we took this very seriously after we got the living room's TV set and VCR fried once).

yeah
about 15 years ago, when I had a PowerMac G4 733 MHz (a beast) and it was still dial-up internet connection and I was still using my internal modem, a lightning hit the telephone line.
The computer was rip'd. The modem module literally exploded.

>storm
>a lighting bolt strikes near the street
>nothing happens, my devices are ok
>dad yells the tv got fucked, so as our modem and other shit downstairs

got lucky albeit no internet for a week

yes, i lost a modem a few years ago.

Yep, cable modem and computer power supply. Rest of pc was fine though

Yes. Had things plugged into smaller UPSs (

just once, an USB phone charger desu smbaka

yeah, a winmodem. good riddance.

>If I'd had it next to my face I might have been electrocuted.

You wouldn't have. Your body is a high impedance path, especially to DC, your phone was grounded through the cord which is a low impedance path. Almost all current would have been shunted through the phone cable to ground and you probably would have only taken a few micro-amps of current, not even close to fatal. The sparking likely came from voltage sensitive devices like MOSFETs blowing up when their gate voltage was exceeded.

>Yes. Had things plugged into smaller UPSs (

Those don't help if lightning directly strikes your house

asdf

[spoiler]asdf[/spoiler]

[spoiler] this better work [/spoiler]

Lost a HDD and a cable box once.

I have a lightning rod, a surge protector rated to 60K joules on my breaker, and my UPS has a surge protector built in that is rated to 5K joules.
I have not and I'm not really worried about it.

Had a storm cycle the power at my house and kill my shity asrock board (i5 2500k was fine) but i guess thats what i get for buying asrock

Had a client with a distribution depot just out of the city. His offices were below a ridge on top of which was his 2-way radio tower.
Then he took down the tower and the tallest thing on the ridge was the incoming electricity pole-route.
Shazam! With no 2-way tower to protect it the pole-route took the hit(s).
Every EMI filter in the place was destroyed. Took us days to get his minicomputer and all its terminals and printers back to working state.

Our company puts up video cameras and shit.

Anyway, one of our camera poles at a trainyard got struck by lightning and everything got fucked, all the cameras and wireless radios (each $1000+ a pop) got roasted even though they were on surge protectors (guess they don't cover tens of thousands of watts of surge, only hundreds)

Anyway the warranties on the devices don't cover electrical damage. Fun times.

Working at a computer repair shop, a guy brought in a Dell laptop with a fried daughter board due to a recent lightning strike on his house. We get parts straight from Dell, but they wouldn't replace his board even though it was under the good warranty. Going back and forth with them, they eventually labeled it an "act of God" and would go no further.

More recently, big lightning strike took out my dad's graphics card and one HDMI port on our TV. They were both surge protected, but the cable running between then went all the way around the room and induced a spike from the proximity of the lightning.

Friend had me over to check out her pc after a storm came through because it wouldn't turn on. Checked things out and upon opening it found the LAN port had been Fucking cooked. I'm talking scorched earth mother fucker.

i hate That's fucked now!

Like a month after I built my first computer a huge thunderstorm came by, the computer was fine because surge protector, but in one thunder my ethernet cable fried one of my ports.

I blame it on the cable being plus 30 meters long and long chunks of it being exposed to the elements.

>they eventually labeled it an "act of God" and would go no further.
Look up the "Fusion" clause in your home insurance policy (contents).
Lightning etc is covered.

I Have everything plugged in through a surge protector/power strips so No I haven't had anything fryed

my friend's ps2 blew when a lightning struck somewhere nearby my house. the laser burned a game disc and the whole thing never put out any video signal again (surprisingly, sound still came out).

sold it on ebay for almost full price (it was shortly after release of the ps2)

If lightning strikes my house my tech will probably be the last thing i will care about. Because i will be dead.

It would probably hit the water tower a couple blocks away though instead of my shit.

How would lightning striking your house kill you? Half the time people don't even die when directly struck.

EVERYONE who understands that cables run on ELECTRICITY?!

Fucking Sup Forums

All you had to do was replace the disk drive...

Closest I've had was a blackout corrupting my San Andreas save file. Was pretty pissed about it as I had just 100% the game.

you sure would buddy :^)

Surge Protectors only work if all your outlets are grounded though especially the room where you placed your surge protector

Well, you are dealing with a few seconds of heat on the level of the surface of the Sun.

>not having at least a line-interactive UPS

it's like you just want all your electronics to get fucked up.

Yes, via the LAN of all things. It also nearly struck me too.

Do you have surge protectors on your network comments senpai?

I remember that thing being the tits when it came out.

components*

No

Surge protectors and I unintentionally follow all the safety precautions for storms anyway i.e. I don't go outside and I don't go near windows

a huge thunder strike killed the power in our street, a few days later my GPU failed catastrophically.

its probably just coincidence, but still.

Yeah our house was struck by lightning a few years ago. My room was in the attic and it grilled my psu and my sound setup. It almost hit me, too, it was a bright flash about a meter away from me. Nothing happened though, and insurance covered it all