802.11 APs

I need a new, stronger Wifi AP. My trusty WRT54G just can’t pierce the 2.4ghz interference from the neighbors in my new apartment and it’s time to retire it.

Looks like the Ubiquiti AP AC LR is my best option so far.

I really prefer option of external antennas and high/adjustable wattage, which I would lose with this. I know some companies make 802.11ac “bullet” type APs, but by nature, they are SISO only. It also looks like Ubiquiti lacks whitelist based mac filtering too.

What do you suggest? Building an AP out of PC (as with a router) is not power and cos effective imho.

Also WiFi general…

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Or stop being a little bitch and run cat7 like a real man.

work the 5ghz band?
Also Ubiquiti is great. LR is great but signals need to be balanced for it to work properly.

i don't think broadcasting the wifi will miraculously fix it.

As a telecommunications guy, I'd recommend cabling if you can.

>Netgear Nighthawk R7000
I don't need a router, I already have a cisco rackmount stuff for routers/switches. I need an AP only.
>Or stop being a little bitch and run cat7 like a real man.
I can put gigabit anywhere, but I want roaming capability with laptops and phones.

I have cabling where I can, but I need WiFi too. Idk about 5ghz, but 2.4 is absolutly trashed.

I need a new AP for 1. 5ghz and 2. more power.

Go with AP Ubiquiti or Engenius. Homebrew AP is not worth the trouble.

>Engenius
These are $800-$1000 haha

if you already have ethernet run than have two+ APs on either side of the house so they connect to the more powerful network.

If you want automatic handoff you'd better be ready to pay through the ass to get it.

Roaming was the incorrect term.

I have to have Wifi for phones and tablets. Everyone is going to tell me to use wired. I already am for every device that is practically capable.

I'm the same guy that told you to go wired, but I also ran ethernet to select places in my home so I could put routers on the different locations. And that's what I think you ought to do.

And regardless, if you want a powerful AP the Nighthawk will fill your needs.

u wot m8?

My bad. I was looking at the top ones I guess.

The AP AC LR is meant for enterprise locations where there are many of them controlled from a central point. That's where the MAC lists etc are implemented.

I use both these and the ubiquiti's and the ubiquities are waaaay beter. the engenious central management blows hard compared to unifi. plus the engeniuos have shitty vlan/multissid support.

Yea, I noticed that most people were just telling people to use RADIUS.

If I was NEET and had time I would run a Windows domain in the house for kicks.

Engenius is cancer run Ubnt for christ's sake

are you serious? a windows domain takes all of half an hour to set up.
i should know, i do it for a living.

I do too. I don't feel like building a server at home with all the other stuff I have to do. I have a backlog of projects.

if you are in IT and you don't already have some sort of home lab set up you are doing it wrong.

I had a WRT54GL flashed with Tomato and bought a TP-Link WR841N. My signal improved and the speed doubled.

Been in IT for 15 years. I used to have like 8 servers in the house. Now I have a single 2u server in the garage and that's it. When you get older you just want shit to work, especially when you have a family and only have a few hours of free time per week.

Anyway op just get the ubiquity ones

how dumb are you? why would you consider building a computer to use as an AP?

just buy a fucking ubqt

Just get a uap ac lite with an edge router x and use the passive poe. Anything more for an apartment is severely overkill and a total waste of cash

I do. It was all Linux and Cisco and crapton of random VMs for security work. I've been too busy moving across the state and working to make progress.

I have rackmounts server I never turn on. Got too busy with work/school, never touched them again.

The problem isn't square footage. I have a ton of interference.