Are the fm2/fm2+ socket type proccesors worth it in a budget gaming build? Also general AMD thread

Are the fm2/fm2+ socket type proccesors worth it in a budget gaming build? Also general AMD thread

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1588994/disabling-igpu-usage-induced-cpu-throttling-geapm-steamroller-apus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fm2? more like FML lol

Definitely. The A8-7600 is enough to play vydia in low 1080p settings and still get playable frame rates. Onboard CPU is pretty nice too, shits on most i3 processors.

The Kaveri/Godavari chips are decent enough if you can find them for the right price.
Though you've got to fix a couple outstanding issues when first putting the system together.

The problem is, there isnt a single FM2+ mobo which wont lower clocks when stressing the top Kaveri APU's.
Also there is RAID problems with the only somewhat usable mobo - Asus A88X-PRO - so dont even think about this platform.

If you want to buy AMD setup now, its still Saberkitty R2.0 (or the new Aura) and FX-8350.

Also, all the 28nm FM2 chips have TIM'd IHS.

>The problem is, there isnt a single FM2+ mobo which wont lower clocks when stressing the top Kaveri APU's.

This is GeAPM( a hold over from the chips being fabbed primarily as mobile parts) and you can turn it off with this:
overclock.net/t/1588994/disabling-igpu-usage-induced-cpu-throttling-geapm-steamroller-apus

The other issue is the chips defaulting to an abnormally high vcore, and all you need to do to fix that is go into BIOS and set it back to 1.25v, or lower if you want to play around with settings.

There is no issue with TIM, and the Godavari chips have a soldered IHS.

The moar you know

>In short: It is not a big deal, but I decided to make it available in case it bothers someone.

Heh.

>There is no issue with TIM
Of course there is, when compared to soldered heatspreader, the heat transfer is crap.

> Godavari chips have a soldered IHS
Not in my 7870K.

>and all you need to do to fix that is go into BIOS and set it back to 1.25v, or lower if you want to play around with settings.
Even with LLC, load vcore at 1.18-1.25 (not varying, tested with 0.01 jumps) 7870k - for example- throttles.
And yes, i'm aware of Stilt's fixed uefi's, this throttling does happen even with geapm disabled.

But you're right, it seems there is indeed Godavari chips with soldered heatspreader as well, but my unit sure isn't!

860k or 845 when paired to an RX 480 or RX470 or maybe 1060? Might do some overclocking.

Only if you literally cant spend more than $300. The a8 7600 with 2400mhz Ram is pretty capible

NO.

NEVER cheap out when it comes to CPU in a "budget" build. Why? simple: it's usually the most expensive item and prolly be upgraded in the last place. So you put a good one inmediately, one that will last.

Get a fat FX cpu, no matter the generation, or a 2nd/3rd gen i5 that are dirt cheap these days.

Then you add a good, cheap GPU, like the Radeon HD 67xx/77xx series. You can also consider the Geforce 750ti.

t. A10-5800k owner. It overheats like crazy, sucks a small town's energy needs and a shitty 2011 i5 gets better performance.

The Athlon 845 has no competition aside from dual cores which aren't good for gaming.

CPUs don't even matter all that much for gaming as long as you have 4 threads

>the threads meme

Wait for Zen

This is true.
If you buy a good CPU, and fastest possible for it RAM you always can upgrade to an ssd , better GPU , more ram, etc without switching motherboards or cpus. Also if you realize that gayming is a meme in the process , you still have a good PC that can last years.

I'm using an athlon 845 right now, and it's great. Same perf as an old phenom II x4, with a fraction of the wattage. I'm just using it while I wait for Zen, so upgrade path is irrelevant.

>wait for phenom II
>wait for FX
>wait for bulldozer
>wait for Vishera bulldozer
>wait for Zen

There is no point in waiting, except the lower prices. AMD will always produce shit

>AMD processor
Get an i7-k. Not even shitposting, it's a well-known fact that AMD processors are hot fucking garbage entirely.

I'd get whatever i5 K series you can afford. They're way better and more efficient than any AMD chip out there.

It's 4 times cheaper.
An FX-8350 is 139,90 in Europe or you can get if for 60 slightly used. And you can overclock it to 4.6ghz with no effort and in OC it tears the i7 4770 a new asshole.

I don't understand why people buy intel at all if you can build an AMD gaming rig for under 500 euros.

Try running GTAV on a dual core, it's unplayable because of the stuttering

>I don't understand why people buy intel at all
Because they're better than amd processors at practically everything you could ever use a cpu for. Maybe years back in the 80's-90's you could argue about the performance matchups but nowadays it's a moot point to even try and defend the athlon or fx or anything of their other current offerings. By all means please go ahead and drop the money on an amd-based machine, just expect to have to put together a second computer using intel if you actually want to do something other than go on Sup Forums or play non-modern video games.

What are you using a CPU for that an overclocked 8350 can't do?
AMD rigs run the same games better than intel/nvidia ones and for less money.
On the other had intel/nvidia rigs can't earn you money with mining, while the AMD rigs can.

Unless you are an underage gaymur with daddy's credit card you don't need intel.

because at that price you can get an i3 and its massively better than a fx core.

over clocked the fc 8350 is 30% slower in multi thread and 50% slower single vs an i5. the i7 obliterates it.

wait for zen or get an i5

The FX CPUs are light years ahead of the Intel CPUs.

>over clocked the fc 8350 is 30% slower in multi thread and 50% slower single vs an i5. the i7 obliterates it.

In your dreams, son.

fuck off amdrone this is a board for real gamers, not shills. just get a 1060 they're dirt cheap lmao. or are you too much of a poorfag for one? lmao