Hahahahha wow I fucking fell for the GNU plus Linux meme

hahahahha wow I fucking fell for the GNU plus Linux meme
nothing even works and I've already spent hours trying to sift through answers to get a few simple programs to run what the hell is this shit Sup Forums

Remind me why i wiped Windows 7 for this trash?

install gentoo

Because you're a tool that can't think for yourself.

Happened the same shit to me. Fuck Linux spent one fucking week trying to fix wifi drivers and wine problems. Also no games. Windows 10 works out of the box. I don't care if it is a botnet at least it doesn't drives me crazy.

Kinda short for a pasta. You need to try harder.

If you're a manchild gamer, linux isn't for you. What the fuck were you expecting? Did you honestly think programs designed to run flawlessly on Windows would run flawlessly on another operating system? That's just not what Linux is for. Stick to Windows, kids. Keep using your computer as an overpriced gaming console.

An "overpriced gaming console" that can play tons of Windows games, and emulate Wii U games, PS3 games, all old school consoles...

While Linux has Tux RAcer XXXXXD

>he wants Linux to accommodate his manchild hobby

>ITT: kids try to run Windows programs in Linux and expect them to just work

Christ. Why don't you just put a ps4 disk in an Xbox while you're at it?

someone clearly isn't ready for the freedoms

>installing linux on a laptop before googling possible conflicts / issues with drivers
>gaming on a laptop

you're a moron

>overpriced gaming console
>that's what Sup Forumstards think

>he thinks Linux was designed to play Windows games

But I don't

>overpriced gaming console
>most used operation system with every imaginable production based softwares

Meanwhile 99% of linux users are neckbeard who feel special because the have linux and the other 1% use it because they have to and hate it

>inb4 some autistic comeback
Marketshare :^}

You were supposed to install Mint (Cinnamon). Of course nothing is going to work if you fall for the memes and install stupid shit like that.

GNU isnt for games, games is for Windows, get Windows if you want games. Get GNU if you arent a manchild who wasts his time playing games and gets actual work done, I do all my job related stuff on GNU and have been more productive than ever and have been promoted many times, with Windows I would play CS:GO XDXDXD

Yew tarded oar whut?

>implying you're not being a manchild right now

The poster specifically mentioned playing games as some massive bonus

Sup Forums is filled with nitwits that buy the latest and greatest GPUs only to play poorly ported console games

OP is ur name Paul? Kappa Kappa

hahahaha GNU/Linux is not for computer illiterate casuals. Go install winpoo 10 and get cucked by parjeets

Don't misunderstand, I didn't say Windows was the overpriced gaming console.

If gaming is your primary concern, then your PC is just an overpriced gaming console. You should have just bought a ps4 and done your shitposting on your old laptop.

>Marketshare
As an argument, that's bunk, when just about every computer a normie can buy from a physical store comes pre installed with Windows. Of course the market will be dominated by Microsoft when they've already made deals with every manufacturer to have Windows installed on the computers before consumers are even able to purchase them.

>Sup Forums is filled with nitwits that buy the latest and greatest GPUs only to play poorly ported console games

Well to be fair, look at something like Skyrim vanilla, compared to the modded graphics.

Windows is there to make you feel normal, Linux is there to make you feel special, Apple is there to empty your pockets.

Windows is there for normies, Linux is there for tech hobbyists, and Mac is there for normies with money AND tech hobbyists with money that appreciate Mac as the true heir of UNIX

>Implying big majority of PC owners which are casual wouldn't pick windows even if they had to make a choice.

itt: low energy banter

Implying that people qouldnt switch to loonix if they wanted it

You know why win is preinstalled because people want windows

>Implying they wouldn't pick Windows due to years of thinking it and Mac were the only options thanks to Microsoft's deals with computer manufacturers

If there were less of that going on, you'd probably have had more manufacturers installing Linux operating systems instead over the years, which would have led to more normies using it, thus creating the demand for a Linux OS that actually just werks for normies.

Healthy competition would have been better, but when the market is dominated by two giants like it is now, innovation can't flourish, which is why Macs still ship with obsolete hardware and Windows still needs to restart every time you update, install a program, change a setting, etc.

>Xubunu

>nothing even works and I've already spent hours trying to sift through answers to get a few simple programs to run
What doesn't work? What programs were you trying to run?

ITT: bait, people replying to bait, and people arguing over bait

dual boot and learn nigga

also if you cannot figure out xubuntu. well. dunno.

I enjoy linux but i wouldn't try to run window software r play game son it

GNU/linux for university
windows for games
ez gg no re

And has Photoshop, Sony Vegas, Lightroom, Microsoft Office and a shitton of professional software. Linux is great for servers, that is all about it. Windows 10 is beautiful, works out of the box and let my do my work in peace. On Linux I used to tweak things all the time because the software is shit, very low productivity. Linux users prefer privacy instead of productivity. Games are a bonus.

>no games

OP here, I've returned after a few hours of messing around with things. Is it noobish to use Synaptic to install everything? Using the terminal is still a bit confusing to me.

Every PC game worth playing works flawlessly on WINE
And Linux has Dolphin, PCSX2 and the best version of Retroarch.
Fuck off.

>PS3 games
Are implying that windows has some kind of PS3 emulator?
Pajeet detected folks

Four minutes ago, this user was probably drunk and trying to impress a disinterested date that only went out with him because there was an online rumor on Facebook that he had a small penis.

To impress his hussy, this faggot then decided to blast our beloved homeland with his shit drivel for poon.

Well no poon for you!

Unless you have a specific reason (work, server, developement, etc) to use linux, are a hobbyist and like tinkering with shit, or you only browse email and play minecraft while knowing your hardware works with linux, you don't really have a reason to install and use linux, user. A lot of people push it as a meme or joke, but your average person or somebody who wants to play vidya or something doesn't really need linux.

dont understand when people are like "adurrrr linux aint work ahuh oh gee golly gosh"
How is it even possible to fuck up that bad? Download, install, done. Literally how do people have issues?

With Debian you have to go into the command line and type "sudo aptitude install iwlwifi" to get wifi to work on some laptops.

This kind of deep, advanced configuration is what keeps the average user from being able to use a hobbyist OS like linux.

Not OP, but I've been seeing more hardware regressions in more mainstream linux distros with hardware that worked just fine like a year ago with no tinkering (wifi chipsets dropping connections and causing kernel panics, soundcard issues in alsa that had no problems a year ago, misc issues with both open source and proprietary GPU drivers). All of these started cropping up in like the last year and occur on Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, and several other mainstream distros, and the issues all seem to be rare enough that even if I find somebody else with the issue in bug trackers, etc, nobody has picked up the issue or tried to fix it.

I don't care enough to fix this shit which is why I dropped linux on a few of my machines. I'd rather just not worry about it.

You average user shouldn't have to use any terminal or hardline connections to use their computer's internet in this day and age.

Fucking.

LAPTOPS. That's why. There's hundreds of thousands of models and every one has something different going on.

(especially Asus)

Which is exactly why Ubuntu exists with its software center, and provides this stuff out of the box.

I actually do think that Debian, while my personal choice on my laptop, isn't a good fit for most users.

I don't think Debian is a good choice for a desktop. It's a great choice for a server but running it as a Desktop is work at this point with Ubuntu's PPA system being a thing, SUSE having their own user package repository and Arch's AUR.

Debian feels like forced hard-mode for no reason other than "That's just how it is.".

>Debian feels like forced hard-mode for no reason other than "That's just how it is.".

On stable, yeah, you have to compile from source to get pretty much anything recent.

But the repos are still very far-reaching, with debs being a very commonly distributed standard, and testing has newer packages than stable at a very reasonable stability.

>While Linux has Tux RAcer XXXXXD
Wine works quite well for Windows games and applications. As for emulators: they're built on QEMU, the biggest emulator project which also happens to be open-source. If you have the programming expertise you can build an emulator of nearly any processor using it.

There's nothing special about laptops that would make Linux not work. Only issue I've ever had with mine is the shitty Intel wireless drivers, which I fixed by replacing it with an Atheros (15 bucks for literally 6x the performance is pretty good if you ask me).

I use debian at work and only had to compile vim from source for some specific additional features.
Everything else has worked out of the box.

dpkg -i (tab).deb then
apt-get install -f

I typically use apt for everything.

What are you trying to do? I have time

are you literally retarded or just pretending?

>Actually falling for it

GNU/Linux has:
>Morrowind
>Baldur's Gate
>Icewind Dale
>Planescape Torment
>Dwarf Fortress
>Mount and Blade: Warband
>2000+ more games on Steam
>Every emulatable game under the sun

Really? Because I knew exactly dickfuck about *nix systems like two months ago and was too cheap to pay for a new install of windows and have been maining Kubuntu since then.

Everything works just fine, with the minor exception of Steam but that's on my older than fuck GPU, not the OS.

>the entire internet summarized

Nice.

is this thenew desktop thread

I was talking about old games like fallout 1/2 wolfenstein... Faggot. Leave.

Get GNU if you are a manchild who likes to rice his OS with anime shit

linux is absolute garbage for anything adobe

no thanks

No need to do that with windows

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

last time i checked, rpcs3 was making decent progress.

poor you.

are you seriously that retarded?

Fucking this.

the thread should've ended right here

A guy here on Sup Forums almost persuaded me to install Xubuntu and ditch Windows forever. I even burnt Xubuntu on my USB flash drive. Thanks God I didn't listen to him and installed Windows 10 once again. I couldn't be happier.

But CAD, and photo editing is shit on Linux.

>computer-illiterate children
Just stay on your botnet telescreens and never leave Sup Forums.

So you're an automation engineer and also a graphic designer?

EagleCAD exists and the latest Adobe Creative Suite works in WINE