What are your thoughts on the C.H.I.P. by Next Thing Co?

What are your thoughts on the C.H.I.P. by Next Thing Co?

getchip.com/

>Built in Wi-Fi
>Built in Bluetooth
>Faster than Pi Zero
>Able to use single cell battery directly connected to the board
>Optional casing to shitpost on the go

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ZTE-Speed-Black-Boost-Mobile/dp/B00RLUQGHS
youtube.com/watch?v=4cDHf_GIXTU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Checked

Might be huge

have one, seems alright

A $30 android phone has better specs than this piece of shit. Why the fuck would anyone buy it? lmao

amazon.com/ZTE-Speed-Black-Boost-Mobile/dp/B00RLUQGHS

ZTE Speed specs:
4 A53 CPU cores @ 1.2 GHz + Adreno 306 GPU
1GB RAM/ 8GB internal + microsd slot
540p 4.5" screen
2,000 mAh battery
built in wifi + bluetooth + wifi direct
5MP camera with flash
LTE + enhanced LTE

It's a western knockoff of a rpi.

Well the phone doesn't have any general purpose IOs.

>ttps://getchip.com/
This thing is 9 dollars and runs linux.

Why the fuck would you need those, you have a fucking touchscreen literally right there in front of you.

The potato chip doesn't even have a touchscreen does it?

The CHIP is fine, got one running headless for a few weeks now.

The PocketChip is awful, a toy designed purely for starbucks hipster cred.

It doesn't even include a charger ROFL

>Not having a micro-usb cable

I wouldn't pay $50 USD for that shitheap even if had specs twice as good.

are you seriously confusing gpios with the keyboard?

fuck off to Sup Forums

it costs 9 bucks

Needs to be x86

>480x272
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sup Forums is failing

see

that's a shield, it's like saying a computer costs 300 bucks because that's the price of the monitor.

How much are they paying you to shill this turd?

Are you retarded?

>slower
>hard to obtain
>no wifi
>no bluetooth

no, are you?

I bought one of this in february
It still had to arrive
I have lost hope
It's scam?

Thank you panjeet, 5 ruples have been deposite into your account.

What does your order page say?

I didn't bought it personally. one of my friends did.

>I bought one of this in february
>I didn't bought it personally
Pick one.

oh, come on. it turns out he misspelled the mail

>ayy lmao

How do I get this into Canada?

Where does it ship from?
How much does shipping to Canada cost?
How long will it take.

Website is fairly uninformative and I'm to lazy to go through the order process to see if It will ship here.

>C.H.I.P. will touch many hands before it gets to yours. Our factory in Shenzhen to our shipper in Hong Kong through customs in your country to your national mail carrier to regional shipping centers to final last mile delivery.
Just do the order process. It was like 6$ to get it to Europe.

proof

>480x272
The Sony PSP was a great mobile console.

fuck me that's a nice little box

can't really play any emulators until video drivers are released for it. GBA stutters too much.

That thing alone is worth the 9$

I love these things but i'm too stupid to even wrap around the basic idea on this subject

The only thing in comparison i can do is install windows and various fucking components to gaymen pc

it's pissing me off

The display is way too small

The CHIP itself is a good little device, fairly capable for the cost, nice and easy to use and customise, low power use, completely self contained, the requirement of a powered USB hub is the only downside but it isn't an oversight, it's simply a reality of the low-power design.

The PocketCHIP however is the total opposite.
It is worthless by most measures, designed from the ground up to be seen, not used. Save your money.
Initial testing recieved feedback that the screen needs to be LOWER RES because it didn't look retro enough. That's really all you need to fucking know about the product. Also, despite the fact that they advertise being able to simply pop the CHIP out of the pocket chassis that isn't the case, CHIP only works with the pocket chassis on a custom ROM, which does not then work WITHOUT the chip, so in order to swap from regular CHIP use to portable PocketCHIP use or visa versa you need to flash the fucking ROM, every single goddamn time. PocketCHIP also closes off the GPIO access BUT I GUESS YOU DIDN'T BUY IT FOR THAT DID YOU you hipster twats.

Get a basic 9$ chip, no fucking shields or addons, run that fucker headless. Anything else is doing it wrong.

>which does not then work WITHOUT the chip
should read
>which does not then work WITHOUT the chassis

My bad.

>5$
no stock anywhere anymore
it was an obvious cash drop to get attention to their shit.

It's shit.

>PocketCHIP also closes off the GPIO access
err what?
it does expose the gpios just not the lcd pins for obvious reasons

It cripples them in software, you can't do the same with the pocketchip GPIO as you can with the regular CHIP.

The pocket ROM really is awful, they should have spent more time making the fucking thing do more than play their own proprietary video game language.

This stuff is used for hobby computing, like making strobing LEDs for your fishtank or something equally useless. That's why is having an aneurysm about not understanding why you'd want GPIO headers: that's where you plug your wire leads in from your LEDs.

These little ARM boards are the breadboards of yesteryear.

What happened to being honest upfront instead of this dumbed down forever scrolling site that every sketchy kickstarter campaign uses.

M8, I have openoffice, chrome, IRC client, media streamer and a mail server running on mine, these are fully fledged embedded systems which just happen to be easily modifiable. They aren't designed to be an arduino competitor.

muh modern minimalist web 3.0 design (that somehow still manages to gobble RAM like a whore)

Read who I was replying to.

Afterwards, you should be able to understand my point. And yes, these are simply evolved Arduinos, just like an Arduino is an evolution of breadboards. It all falls under hobby computing.

>Works with ANY display

My television only has RF input, CHIP doesn't have an RF modulator shield.
This claim is false.

This isn't out yet? Their kick starter ended years ago

I'd argue that it's just another PC form factor at this stage, not a hobby computer.
It works out of the box, all set up and ready to go, uses entirely standard software libraries. It's no different to say a VIA EPIA board, just smaller, and those certainly aren't hobbyist.

Hobbyist is still firmly with the arduino/compatibles and things like PIC or the Digispark/etc.

Well, I don't really want to argue semantics with you here. If you want to say hobbyist computing is evolving to where it has nearly merged with general Linux computing, sure, I'll go along with that.

youtube.com/watch?v=4cDHf_GIXTU

kek

Yeah sorry man, you're right, I don't know why I got such a stick up my ass over that.

No problemo, anonbro. It is an exciting time for low-power computing for sure, however we want to classify it.

That's the dumbest shit ever.
All are different tools with different purposes.
The only real connection I see here is that they're good for prototyping.

You're basically saying steak is an evolution of bananas because they're good for eating.

Wasn't this thing supposed to ship late last year?

So then where do I buy it for $9 without the shield?

You're correct, it was a dumbed down explanation of hobbyist computing. Again, read who I was replying to.

Which makes it even worse to say completely wrong things because he doesn't know any better.

>supports those wireless standards that everything supports because everyone demands it
>faster than the slowest thing you can get
>runs off a single cell, like everything else
>can be encased with a case

It wasn't wrong. This is a hobbyist computer. It's very capable and if you know your linux you can make it do a lot of general computing tasks but it's still meant for hobbyists.

Which wasn't the point I was arguing against.

I didn't see any argument.

bought one just a few weeks ago, arrived like 4 days ago
it's retardedly hard to get a hold of one though (god help you if you want two of the things)
it's in stock at pi hut now

it's a nifty piece of kit
had most of the shit I'd need to get it vaguely useful already, swapped out the SD I used on a Pi 2 and jammed it in there, immediately started working headless (once I plugged in a wifi adapter I had)
it looks retarded with all the shit plugged into it though
at least the hdmi adapter doesn't need to always be in there