Last night I cleaned out my computer of dust and found my CPU fan was covered in a fuck load of it. Take the fan off...

Last night I cleaned out my computer of dust and found my CPU fan was covered in a fuck load of it. Take the fan off, remove the dust and put in back on the CPU.

Now my computer is running slow as balls and I go to check the temperature and my CPU is at 60-70 degrees celsius. Could I have not secured it properly?

Have you replaced the thermal paste? It may be necessary when you take the cooler off.

If you loosened the cooler you may have severed the connection between the CPU and the cooler with thermal paste, If it's old paste it's useless when shuffled around like that.

Remove the cooler, clean both the coolers contact surface and the CPU heat spreader of all old paste, apply new paste

dust is a good insulator you dummy

Yep, that's probably the problem. Thanks guys, going out to buy more.

CPU temperature dropped down back to the 40 range after I took it out and reinstalled it again.

Not sure if it wasn't secure enough or what. Gonna pick up some paste just in case.

>more
Please read a guide how much paste you need. No, you don't need the whole tube.

He probably lost it after years of not using

I wasn't the one who built my PC, I didn't have the paste. I've seen enough Sup Forums memes to know not to put a giant ass glob on the thing.

Paste probably needed to heat up and cool down again to reseal, also the cooler may not have been tight enough first time. Good work OP.

Makes sure you do it the right way OP. This should help you out.

I did exacly the same like 3 years ago and I didn't care until last week that I decided to overclock, lucky me I remembered that this shit hits 99c on simple load and now I have a hyper t2 and thermal paste on the way, I don't know why I thought 65 idle and 99 on load was ok but whatever.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

this is my fetish

Man I'm using an Intel stock cooler thats clean and I'm getting temps up to 80 and you got 80 with no fucking thermal paste?

>Sent from my iPhone.

OP here, should I just dip the motherboard in like a vat of this stuff? Shouldn't that cool down the entire computer?

Intel CPUs are generally meant to run at anything up to 100C. You're insane if you think Intel is going to give you a cooler that's much better than the bare minimum required to run the CPU at stock parameters.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

>Take the fan off, remove the dust and put it back on the CPU.

Well no shit it's slow, why would you put dust on the CPU? That's not where dust comes from anyway.

Why is he putting toothpaste on that motherboard?