RX 480 vs. Nvidia 1060

Which one would be the better option? I'll be gaming on a 1080p 60Hz moniter so I don't care about performance in 1440p. From benchmarks I've seen, the 1060 wins, but it is also more expensive. Since I'm paying for a completely new pc, I want to get the better dollar per frames performance, and the one that will last me longer until I have to upgrade. I don't need to run everything at the highest settings, just enough to make it run smoothly and without frame rate drops. I'm playing with a few friends on pc, but most of my gaming will be done on ps4 with the majority of my friends. Which would be the better option?

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/
newegg.com/VGA/EventSaleStore/ID-1170
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the cheapest one you can possibly find. preferably after market

They're about the same really. Buying something more expensive because it wins by 3 or 4 frames is pretty retarded, honestly. Besides, DX11 will be dead by 2018.

Get a 380 or a 960 and save 100$ then

Which of the two is better for rendering?

OP here, isn't the 480 supposed to have better DX12 support?

There is only about a £10 difference between a 480 8gb and 1060 but the 1060 is faster. If you're not a poorfag and can afford the extra tenner then I'd say the 1060 but if you're ultra poorfag then get the 480 4gb.

Supposed.

Considering the 20°C difference, power usage of 100W difference, 25dB diff also, by choosing AMD you choose to pay with comfort and electricity bills.

Driver support is also worse.

And from what I'm seeing, you can buy 1060 cheaper than 480.

1060 is much faster at 1080p and rivals a stock 980ti once OCed.

This is nothing shocking. I have a 980 non ti and I have it overclocked to just over 1500 mhz which is just above 980 ti stock equivalent performance. Considering the 1060 is about on par with the 980 it's to be expected.

>tfw 480 overclocks to just under stock 980 performance
>tfw 1060 overclocks to under 980 ti stock performance

Nvidia have a real winner with this one.

If i build for 5 years which one is better

Anything over 4 years AMD wins every single time. Compare some old cards AMD vs Nvidia at launch and now.

You should never keep a gpu for that long. If you care about your gaming experience you should try and upgrade every 3 years or so. The 1060 and 480 will become obsolete garbage in 2 years time once the 580 and 1160 come out and games become naturally more demanding.

yeah and in 4 years my graphics card will be in the scrapheap.
The fans will probably fail or become unbearably loud and not user serviceable.
Actually pretending these shitty things last is what is laughable

480 is better in dx12/vulcan and costs slightly less. It has crossfire capability.

1060 is better in dx11 and uses less power.

It comes down to availability and preference over present vs future. Rx 480 IMO is a safer bet with superior dx12 support and since it can be paired later with another 480. Also it looks to be a hard launch vs NVIDIA's "hardly" launch (FE is NVIDIA pulling a fast one over gamers).

Whatever you choose, wait for aibs to arrive!

>safer bet
>99.99% of games are DX 11 and will be for the forseeable future

Please stop pajeet, it's over

Where I'm at right now, OP. I want to upgrade from my 7950 because it's starting to show its age pretty good. Thinking of the 1060 because 480's prices are retarded right now, but not quite sure. Most benches they seem to be trading blows pretty well at 1080p, so I don't really think it matters much which one more so which is available.

who the fuck wants to play oldass dx11 games from 2009-2016 in 2017+?

Sup Forums can shit on the rx480 all they want but the fact remains the card is future proof and in the right games with the right api's they pull ahead.

it really is the new 7970

gpu tech hasnt really changed since 2013

I'll probably get the latest 1060 then. Thanks.

Cheaper one + better CPU

>Which one would be the better option?
the gigabyte one. Literally the best of both worlds.

Crossfire doesn't do shit. Most games on DX12 don't even support it, meaning you'll get lower FPS with two cards than with one sometimes.

1060 at $249 is the best value GPU you can possibly get

AMD cards last a lot longer, though. I expect rx 480 (8 gb) to stay relevant for 4 years in 1080p and CF supported for considerably more. Expect 15-20% improvement over time vs present due to improving driver support.

1060 will age like milk in sun and will be crippled within a year after 1160 launches. No SLI means dead end.

>the one that will last me longer until I have to upgrade
This alone would indicate the 480 is the better choice for you. 1-2 years from now, DX12 and Vulkan will be more widely used in new games, so the 480 will offer better long term performance, and AMD have better driver optimisation as time progresses.

However, if the majority of the games you play are DX11 or OpenGL, then go with the 1060.

>not pictured 4gb RX 480
But thats pointless anyway because
>2016
>4GB VRAM
I'm sure the flashing 4gb models to 8gb has already been corrected and will only have been present in the first batch of models with the old firmware that caused PCIe overdrraw.

All next gen console games will be built for dx12/vulcan. The future will shortly arrive and there is no stopping it

a Unicorn also is the best horse you could get.
Guess what a Unicorn and a 249$ 1060 have in common?

>AMD cards lost a lot longer
But your mobo won't because it's killed by all the non PCI-E compliant overcurrenting, and the fan on it won't because it's stressed to breaking point and it's not user serviceable. Eat shit pajeet.

>all next gen console games
When's the next gen happening o wizard of the future?
All they've announced is prototypes.

wait for decent AIB 480s or 1060s

Don't fall for that meme.

No it is. Just stop spreading this fud.

Nvidia might gimp the card later on though

AMD cards fail a lot more. They don't last in the least bit. Pic related.

AMD just gimps their cards and they get slower over time, while Nvidia keeps increasing the speed of their cards.

Graph has an special edit for the 1060 at fictitional MSRP topping the list
the Rx 480 only at currently listed prices, no entry for its also fictional MSRP.

it's like you can't see the shilling

>meme
>independently tested and verified results from major testing and hardware review sites

No

Oh really?

Look at all these unicorns.

Post source, not just a made up graph so people can review it them self.

>fictional MSRP

Hahahaha good one

See

whatever bro. he would need to upgrade 2-3 years from now anyway, since rx 480 isn't even a top tier card at release.

>fictional

No, it won't. Neither card is powerful enough to last more than 2 years. We're talking about mainstream cards here, not high end. Even the 960 and 380 are slowly becoming outdated and struggling to run games on high/ultra and they've only been out for a year now. By next year the 960 and 380 will be shit tier cards.

2018 but game support will be much earlier.

>made up graph

It's directly from here pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/

AMD cards fail at a much higher rate.

Basically AMD cards are cheap garbage.

You took a SS with fictional prices for cards you can't put in your cart and actually order.

I still don't see your point

nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/

People keep saying this yet can't provide evidence proving it. Hell, I've seen more evidence proving it isn't real. 1060 is also faster and marginally more expensive. It's the obvious choice for me.

>but game support will be much earlier
>Playstation is the dominant console
>Sony in charge of changing APIs
No,
Also in 2018 the cards will literally be hot noisy trash with cheaper, faster replacements.
Never ever buy hardware for the future.
Buy it for what you need here and now.

>fictional prices

Bro, it's directly from the newegg website

Right here: newegg.com/VGA/EventSaleStore/ID-1170

Plenty of $249 1060s

>pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/
> Matt Bach "Mod" Terrance Earle • a year ago
>We've received a lot of comments from people concerned that the issue isn't really from AMD, but rather from Asus. We've been trying out a mix of XFX and Visiontek cards since this article was published and I thought I would post some numbers (you just happened to be the latest comment with this concern when I pulled these numbers). Right now, the total failure rate by brand for AMD Radeon R7/R9 cards is:
>Asus - 22.86%
>Visiontek - 25%
>XFX - 12.9%

So they tested ASUS cards exclusively but then telling people that ASUS got higher failure rate than other cards in comment section instead of in the said article.

Thank you for playing.

Notice how the AMD cards are still failing at a much higher rate.

AMD is basically just bargain bin cheap garbage.

I really dont understand how people are so excited for cards which match 970 and 980 performance in 2016. Sure they are a bit cheaper but its nothing to really be excited for.

The 490 and 1080 are going into new territory in terms of performance. They are something worth arguing over.

>meanwhile at amazon 8GB 480X reference cards are going for $350

Please stop with this MRSP nonsense. Retailer jewing is not the fault of the manufacturer. They don't get any extra money from hoarders hoarding cards and selling them at markups.
They also don't set those prices so all you're doing is slinging mud when new electronics of any kind are always hoarded/marked up since the beginning of time.

>he is unironically trying to defend high failure failure rates of his beloved amd

This is next level shilling.

Look again at all the ones going for $249

Here: newegg.com/VGA/EventSaleStore/ID-1170

How will they damage control this

They can't. AMD is literally finished.

>are still failing at a much higher rate.

Against what? there is no other source to compare it.
He exclusively tested the R7/R9 cards and pull up numbers on it without any other Nvidia compassion to said in that same percentage.

Why he even not renamed the article to "ASUS card failure rate test" when it only exclusively tested on said cards?
Why not bring up the XFX test in said article?
Did they afraid to talk bad on their sponsor?

I was complaining at both sides.
I just pointed out the shilling faux pas from TPU's perf/dollar graph. My comments stated that both MSRP's are nothing but fiction atm.

They were at least decent enough to have a separate entry for the 1060's MSPR.

Uhh he basically tested the whole AMD product line from 2008

All of them failed at a much higher rate than Nvidia.

>IT'S NOT REAL REEEE
Please kys

Not even Sup Forums recommended an ASUS card for both Nvidia or AMD in this board.
Why would the writer try to hide that information?

And that's what you want? In the 90s we had quite a few more companies working on GPUs and they actually inovated, now you want a fucking monopoly? By nvidia, out of all the options? Damn.

Are you retarded? The 1060 is literally selling for $249 right now:

newegg.com/VGA/EventSaleStore/ID-1170

>AMD fanboy has left the room

Some cards are being sold at inflated prices because of demand (and Nvidia seems to dribble out cards really slowly compared to AMD for whatever reason). I'm still really impressed that they're actually going for around $250, considering the Founder's Edition is still supposed to be $299 last I heard. I don't know who's going to pay $50 MORE for the reference model but there you go.

He mention in the article that he only tested one brand for the whole product line.
Then said that other cards got lower failure rate but never put it in the article, that's a very questionable moved.

Why would they do that? why hide the information?

AMD has been lying and fucking up for years now. Let that shitty company burn to the ground and let companies that actually make good products like Nvidia survive.

Never said that, it completely agreed it must be real.

But why even bother test one brand and hide the information he got from other brand in mere comment section.

have you even clicked your own link?
sold out, auto-notify, back order. ALL of the cards under that event ID 1170 url.

there's not a single you can put in your cart right now and have it delivered.

And just so you don't accuse me of shilling:
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

Same situation. Exactly the same situation.

Honestly, you could probably just close your eyes and pick one (after 480 customs come out, all 1060s are OOS anyway right now). There's so many factors involved in graphics card purchasing now, because prices in different regions vary by so much. Some places the 1060 is more expensive by 100 euros, in others it's the other way around. Performances for both cards are pretty comparable, and DX12 performances will vary wildly from vendor specific code. Just compare something like DOOM with OpenGPU functions to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Both cards are mediocre at 1440p and unplayable at 4K, but mostly neck to neck. The sole pure disadvantage of the 480 is a power consumption, but only of about 30-40W. It's not make or break. Honestly, if you're only doing 1080p60 I suggest waiting for a less expensive card like a custom 470 or 1050Ti or what not.

Of course, it's been sold out since this morning.

You could actually buy one when it first came out at like 6am, but all the new cards are sold out.

Hopefully they will get some stock again in a few days.

>why even bother?
so that pajeets like you can get BTFO

Are you retarded?
The RX480 4gb are selling for 199 right now.
Sauce: AMD's press slides.

and only there.

the situation is the same user.

>sole pure disadvantage
>forget to mention PCI-E current overdraw
>forget to mention 99.99% of games are in DX 11 and will be for the forseeable future with this generation of consoles
Shit in toilet pajeet

This. I wouldn't mind if amd sell off ati to ibm or samsung but fuck amd for releasing shit products year after year. They need to die already. This goes for both cpu and gpu.

Pls don insult my hindism legacy my dear memefriend.

rx480 is more future proof, since it fully supports async. When the time comes you just buy another one and get twice the performance.

Except not even close. The 1060 is literally selling for $249 at this very moment on New Egg.

My HD 6950 is doing fine to this day. I even 2015 titles at mid settings in full hd.

>When the time comes you just buy another one and get twice the performance.

Ebin b8

just stop. please.

you won. I just got my new 1060 there. right now. Thank you based user.

That's how mantle is supposed to work. And it will.

AMD is kept alive as a phony "competitor" that's too incompetent to actually compete with anyone. If AMD were ever allowed to actually collapse then Intel or Nvidia could get threatened under monopoly laws, so it's in their best interest to keep the corpse propped up and lifelike for now. Meanwhile Intel CPUs utterly dominate the market and all their main "competitor" can do is year after year stammer "J-just wait until [Next Year] guys, it'll be way better than [Current Year]! New technology is right around the corner! We haven't turned a profit for the last ten years, but this time we're really on to something!!!"

Deep down, even the most diehard AMDrone knows this. But they'll never admit it.

>2015 titles

I very much doubt you can run the likes of witcher 3 or similar on your card at medium settings and get 60 fps at 1080p. Not even a 960/380 can run that game at medium settings at 60 fps.

I don't know which of the 80 threads about is is the right one, so I'll ask here: which of these is more silent? It's the only thing I care, really, since I'll be on a 1080@60 and the most demanding game I played in five years was Overwatch.

Didn't try, but I ran battlefront and bloodborne no problem.
I'm still struggling through witcher 2 because I lost my saves and I want it to be perfect when I play the 3rd.

Pleb.

Or you could just use a lower resolution monitor and run it at 30fps.

>1gb

That's where it gets tough. At least mine is 2gb, which is enough for mid quality textures.

>Bloodborne

Are you okay, user?

fuck off, i have 7850 and i'm pissed with 30fps games, that's why i ordered gtx 1060 to play on at 60fps even if i'd have to lower details a bit, ultra usually looks the same as high/vhigh but drops fps by 15-30%

1060 is way more silent

>and run it at 30fps.

disgusting.

That's quite a sad state of affairs. Ironically it's actually the AMD fans that are keeping Intel and Nvidia in power.

Don't worry too much about future proofing, OP. Both are great cards for the price. RX 480 is higher fps/dollar. Especially if you're doing g most of your games on ps4, just get whichever you can find cheaper.

I'm personally going with the RX 480 because it is cheaper and will last me a good while for 1080p gaming. The 1060 is a better card but you pay more. For me, it's not worth the slight extra money.

I have a 7750, I'll probably get a new computer in January. I had a GTS450 before and didn't have any problems with either of my GPUs.

Which one should I get?

There is nothing else to play anyway. Here's what I'm playing currently.

I don't even know If the rx480 is even worth buying. The games are shit. The only thing that made me think is the witcher 3 and the refubrished skyrim.

>battlefront

This game runs on a variety of hardware which is not unexpected due to it being a huge scale fps. Bf4 also ran well on toasters after they fixed up the launch issues.

>bloodborne

This is a ps4 game..