Why do even shitty two bay NASes with sub-cellphone hardware specs cost so much money...

Why do even shitty two bay NASes with sub-cellphone hardware specs cost so much money? Is there a better/cheap alternative?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-DS380B/dp/B00IAELTAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468999590&sr=8-4&keywords=freenas
amazon.com/dp/B00TB8XMR0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00G4JZ2T0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WJ71G8EZPVDM3SB1EE1X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have one of those. It's decent. The software is impressive, but a bit over-engineered imo, and I wonder how many people really use it to its full potential.

Yeah. Find a PC in a trash can. Put a couple of hard drives in it. Install FreeNAS. Boom.

Still not worth $200, though.

Unfortunately, I doubt people around me are stupid enough to throw electronic into the garbage.

Because smart people just buy used PCs/laptops/servers on ebay and make them into NASs

SILVER
I
L
V
E
R

STONE
T
O
N
E

amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-DS380B/dp/B00IAELTAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468999590&sr=8-4&keywords=freenas

They use way less power than a normal pc and the software is a big plus.

Yes or no?

amazon.com/dp/B00TB8XMR0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00G4JZ2T0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WJ71G8EZPVDM3SB1EE1X

>The software is impressive
open source software better than that shit exists, doesn't justify the cost

>Integrated 1.6 GHz Marvell ARMADA 388 dual-core processor and 2 GB DDR3 memory
>over $323
nigger, just buy a fucking quadcore atom board that has DC-in, add 8GB of ram and a laptop power supply and you're better off, probably for half the fucking price

Better question, why the fuck are RAID cards so damn expensive?

'cause they're meant for enterprise and those idiots always pay whatever it costs

>Unfortunately, I doubt people around me are stupid enough to throw electronic into the garbage.

Where the fuck do you live, then?
Trash nights in most suburbs around here, someone's always tossing out an old P4 or C2D rig with minimal if any issues.

i live in eastern europe and for less than $60 you can get a sff case (dell, lenovo, hp) with a core2duo e8400 with 4gigs of ram and a 160gb hdd

>Trash nights in most suburbs around here, someone's always tossing out an old P4 or C2D rig with minimal if any issues.
I have a friend who indulges in what he calls "road shopping". I doubt he's actually bought any major hardware for years.

Tune in next week when we'll be making our own superior 200-bay freenas server out of cereal boxes and some hardware our sponsors sent in... all for $0!

60W@idle

What is stopping you from setting up a cheap PC, getting a case with loads of drive bays, simultaneously making it your file server, HTPC, and seedbox?
This is exactly what I have using my old Phenom II 555 BE(unlocked to 4 cores), 4gb ram, HD7770.

hp microservers can be nice for this

n36l/n40l can be had pretty cheap these days

Raspberry pi. One of the few things it's actually good/decent at

Because it has so many SATA and Gbit ports?

HP Microserver with XPenology?

External enclosure and so many alternatives. You'll not only save on hardware costs but probably spend $7-8 in electricity for full up time of it.

not really, buy the time youve got what you need, you'd end up costing more than a 2nd hand n36l and still have no real gigabit.

Actually very really and lets be honest here if you're not some poorfag you may as well buy a mainframe or have a company you work for buy one

ok, price it up - how much for pi, enough external enclosures to handle 4x3.5" drives, and whatever magic you use to get gigabit networking from the pi's usb controller.

n36l can be had for around $70 maybe and runs at 18W idle, maybe 50W full load w/4drives.

>n36l can be had for around $70
where?

ebay? i picked up one of mine for 40GBP, that ball park $70 - hand on heart I don't know the us market.

>ballpark $70
It's $52, get with the times.