Help me out here Sup Forums what's the benefit of using an SSD?

Help me out here Sup Forums what's the benefit of using an SSD?

It's faster.
More shock resistent.
Smaller and weigh less.

Speed
That's it. Do you need that speed? Yes? Buy one. No? Just get whatever you want. I have 3 WD blues, 2 of which are 4 years old and both show no signs of failing, so I bought the same one as my 3rd.
You can delete this thread now.

gamer cred

swag

good boy points

not dieing of terminal rectal fissuring

hairloss

rats pooping inside your attic

the ability to make good mac n cheese whenever you desire

nice

lower power consumption makes them more suitable for laptops than hard drives

Lifespan is measured in writes, you get a more durable, quiet, and smaller storage medium.

MLC NAND: ~3000 write cycles before failure
V-NAND: ~6000 write cycles before failure

512 GB MLC NAND SSD: ~1.5PB of writes or ~8 years at 512GB/day
512GB V-NAND SSD: ~3PB of writes or ~16 years at 512GB/day

Obviously you won't be writing that much data everyday so your SSD will last like 10X longer.

As long as you get a name-brand SSD instead of chinkshit it will have a very durable controller and advanced global wear leveling.

Everything is faster running off an SSD.

If you've never had one before, get it now.

I wish I would've gotten mine earlier.

Holy shit it was worth it. Probably the best purchase of my life by far.

See As a side note, going from HDD to SSD for my boot disk is the only tangible upgrade I have ever made to a machine. More ram only helps if you are maxing out what you have, and then it isn't faster, you just don't get hangups.

SSD (OS) + HDD (Files) masterrace.

What's it like using an SSD compared to a HDD?

it's fast as fuck
can reboot in 5 seconds, can install apps almost instantly, etc.

also holy shit it works great with Plex to load libraries and stuff

>faster random reads
>quiet
>uses less power

Driving a car vs crawling backwards towards the same destination.

They look cooler.

No noise.

>>>>

Faster load times. That's about it. Your actual performance will not improve.

the power draw is nothing to mention. you are talking a couple watts and certain 'pro' models use just as much as a spinning drive. ive got an ssd in my laptops and both of them didnt see any improvement in battery life. a desktop is already pulling hundreds of watts so a few here and there isnt going to make a difference

How can I copy my OS and important files minus Steam games, and etc.

Call geeksquad

No

>2016
>still no SSD
How do you fucks live?

>How can I copy my OS and important files minus Steam games, and etc.
don't copy your OS, do a fresh install, or you'll regret it. SSDs are sensitive to alignment and mirroring your OS wholesale will fuck it up and slow things down.

For everything else, use an external HDD and drag and drop.

Quick, what's the best built laptop with an SSD and 8GB of RAM in the market for under $750?

Double the read and write speed
Also quiet and small

Used Thinkpad T520, buy the SSD and RAM yourself.

Ive been told an SSD wears of a lot quicker than HDD and gradually become slower. Is that true or just a meme Sup Forums?

Thanks.

>SSDs are sensitive to alignment and mirroring your OS wholesale will fuck it up and slow things down.
lol you have no idea what you're talking about.

>Double the read and write speed
Please stop believing the viral marketing lies and skewed, nonrepresentative benchmarks.

You get maybe 20% increase at best with reads and a tiny write advantage.

That for a HUGE disparity of drive sizes for the same amount of money and a much larger failure rate, even though that failure rate is non-destructive for the most part during the first couple of years (you lose your data completely but the drive is still functional and completely usable and might work fine afterwards). Meanwhile I have 20+ year old HDDs that work just as well as they did day fucking one and not a single failure out of dozens of drives from 5 to 20+ years old.

SSDs are not worth it.

>poorfag who can't afford an SSD

>the power draw is nothing to mention. you are talking a couple watts and certain 'pro' models use just as much as a spinning drive. ive got an ssd in my laptops and both of them didnt see any improvement in battery life. a desktop is already pulling hundreds of watts so a few here and there isnt going to make a difference

secondhand dell latitude

>You get maybe 20% increase at best with reads and a tiny write advantage.
Post your HDD benchmark then.

If you are using a somewhat modern laptop the advantage is noise. When I use my laptop for browsing and stuff fan does not work, but every 10 seconds I hear the sound of the hard drive spooling and I hate it. There is also inherent advantage of resistance to falling, but that's not a big deal since a lot of HDDs are protected against it as well.

If you are using it to access large data, SSD is unbelievably better. For example I run circuit sims in servers, and output files sometimes end up 10 G or larger. The difference SSD makes when opening these is huge. I don't have to wait a day for the tool to plot a graph at least.

It's not about the sequential speed, it's about the read/write latency.

faster access to all the nude pictures and videos of your mum m8

SSD is a better upgrade than just about anything.

>no ratatatata noise from HD
>starts up in seconds
>starts up everything else in seconds

Best meme to ever fall for

Supposedly when they die they just flat out die and are gone forever with not much previous signs. Not looking forward to it happening.

it can give some old hardware a boost, that delays upgrading for some time.
price for ssd < price for new pc.

your pc will boot faster
your games and applications will load faster.
thumbnails will be generated faster when you're browsing folders
.....faster
less noise
lower power consumption
your system drive will not be IO bottleneck when you are copying files from-to it.
basically, you have no reason to upgrade.

>>still no SSD
>How do you fucks live?

In a van down by the river.

Pretty much bullshit with newer SSDs.

This is true though. It was always possible for HDDs to die without warning though, so it is not like this is a new issue to SSDs, just that SSDs don't have as many soft failures as HDDs do.

Op here, regarding the failure-rate and data loss, how reliable is it when compared to your market standard HDDs like Western digital or Seagate etc..?

Decent brands are way more reliable and fail "gracefully" unless the controller dies. That means it just becomes read-only.

Literally the dumbest thing I've read will week.

IOPS = GOAT

is 120gb enogh for a ssd? i have a secodary 500gb hdd in my laptop and i want a ssd to play some fallout

Make a several gigs worth of scene in maya and access it from a hdd.
My ssd already loaded it before you finished reading this post, you gaymer tard