/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

Threadly reminder to ignore and report the autistic SD spammer.

News:
Sony Xperia XA Ultra review
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa_ultra-review-1465.php

Curved screen Galaxy Note7 caught on video, flat version photographed
gsmarena.com/curved_screen_galaxy_note7_shot_on_video_flat_version_photographed-news-19512.php

Famous leaker: there will be only two iPhone 7 models, regular and Pro
gsmarena.com/rumor_there_will_be_only_two_iphone_7_models_regular_and_pro-news-19510.php

New Honor-branded device spotted on TENAA, sports a mammoth 6.6-inch display
gsmarena.com/new_honorbranded_device_spotted_on_tenaa_alleged_to_be_note_8-news-19507.php

BlackBerry to discuss new devices sometime next week
gsmarena.com/blackberry_to_discuss_new_devices_sometime_next_week-news-19501.php

Alcatel Idol 4 exclusively lands at Cricket on August 5 with VR headset
gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_4_exclusively_lands_at_cricket_on_august_5_with_vr_headset-news-19496.php

Corning's Gorilla Glass 5 will protect future flagship phones against drops from up to 1.6 meters
phonearena.com/news/Cornings-Gorilla-Glass-5-will-protect-future-flagship-phones-against-drops-from-up-to-1.6-meters_id83373

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4/how-to/psa-7-19-2016-amazon-prime-g4-eligible-t3422447
youtube.com/watch?v=r2izz_8iqXA
aliexpress.com/store/product/RN3P311331_32602840179.html
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_308825.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4017YK3Bu0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's no secret that the HTC 10 isn't selling well, and T-mobile just pulled it from their stores. Does this mean that the low demand for the 10 at its current pricepoint would mean a further price drop in the near future? It's $600 on htc right now but I want to know if I could realistically get it even cheaper than that if I wait.

God I fucking hope so, I'd easily pay $450 for it.

>HTC makes shit phones but good dacs
why dont they just get into the audio market

I'm tempted to hold out, but maybe the current $600 is the best we'll get, and that's only till the 31st.

The audio market is niche af and for a lot of people its better to spend $600 on a good phone with a great DAC rather than a $600 on an external DAC/AMP or DAP, especially since at that price point on audio you're $400 past the point of diminishing returns. Basically, they'd sell even less product than they do now.

PSA: As of 7/19/2016, the Amazon Prime G4 is NOT eligible for bootloader unlock.

forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4/how-to/psa-7-19-2016-amazon-prime-g4-eligible-t3422447

Moto caught on. Fun's over.

Need a phone for pokemon go, reading, great bright screen for outside use, t mobile lte bands,

So I just broke my moto x play while trying to repair it, yes I know I fucked. Which new phone has the same screen size and has pretty good performance?

Opinions on the Blu R1 HD? $60 is mighty tempting but it appears nobody can achieve root on it

Great for what it is, but dont expect anything other than what it comes with.

Currently have a Nexus 5 from 2013. Should I get a 6P for cheap once the 6P(2016) drops, or should I jump to whatever the 6P(2016) will be?

welp sending mine back and getting a 6p, fuck it

I'd go with the newer, as it will last you longer.

So I broke my Note 5 a while back, and when I finally did my insurance claim yesterday they replaced it with an S7 for some reason. Not sure how I should feel about this.

I guess I need to get cracking on setting this thing up, too. I forgot how shitty the stock Samsung interface was.

>cracking
>shitty stock Samsung interface

Why can't they just be friendly and let people unlock their shit and tweak them? Fuck. I have an iPhone but if I could get an unlocked S7 I'd switch immediately.

You hit the lottery. Great phone. It doesn't take long to customize it anyway.

>Why can't they just be friendly and let people unlock their shit and tweak them?
Because you won't buy the S8. And S9. And so on and so forth if you can officially flash other ROMs.

So basically, Korean Jews.

Is anti virus just a meme or do you actually need it?

True. Isn't the Colean S7 unlocked or something though?

Only the American S7s are locked, IIRC.

Running an aftermarket launcher is no big deal on Samsung stuff, I just need to download one, pick a theme, customize, etc. When I said "get cracking" I meant it in the typical sense of "get to work," not actually jailbreaking the phone or whatever.

I know, I'm just faffing on you. I know there's options but you still have the stupid touchwiz shit under it, which is saddening.

why isn't more ui comparison videos like this
youtube.com/watch?v=r2izz_8iqXA

Okay dudes and dudettes, I think I'm ready to get on the poverty phone train - I'm going to replace my ailing S5 with a RN3P. Has it been sold much lower than $250 CAD ($190 USD) in the past?

My Nexus 5 won't boot into Android (it only gets to the four 'dots' and reboots) so I want to flash stock onto it.
Which version of 6.0.1 do I download?

It might go lower when the RN4 comes out at the end of the month.

What do you mean shit phones

>that strange feel when you are one of the only persons that bought an HTC 10

So what the census for the sony X?

I want to buy it but

1. on verzion
2. have to send it to fucking sunshine to get it unlocked, and pay 33 dollarydoos
3. isnt even any roms for it
4. its $600

Nova+goodlock and your'e good.

>Has it been sold much lower than $250 CAD ($190 USD) in the past?
?? It's selling for $170 right now.

aliexpress.com/store/product/RN3P311331_32602840179.html

>phone just got back from the repair
>power button fixed like their ass
>it's hard as fuck to press and FUCK IT
>opened the phone
>not the original button and it looks longer then the right one
>whatever this phone, just cut the tip of the internal switch of the new button
>assembly everything
>button is working like new again
Welp.

Am I stupid for wanting to sell my iPhone 6 and buy a Moto G4?

I have a jailbroken 6s and bought a G4. It's still in the box though.

Thinking about selling the 6s for top dollar while we're at the height of no jailbreak mania. I need more control though and think I'll probably get a 6p or something.

The last one

On paper it looks like the G4 pro is actually better than the iPhone 6 (not S)

Anyone else got a Zerolemon battery?

Do any Chinese phones work in america on lte bands?? Want t mobile but don't care if I switch?

Some work on tmo and att, none on verizon and sprint.

i've been thinking about getting a oneplus 3, but the recent battery issues and future updates are making me a bit worried

what's the best alternative under $400? or should i just go for it? i mainly need a good camera for rad vacation pics, a fingerprint reader would be great too

6p or oneplus 3

Anyone have an HTC 10? What are your experiences?

That's 179 for a colour I don't want and 185 for the grey.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Redmeme note 3 pro for about $170, is that a good choice for an AT&T user in burgerland? If not, is there anything better in the $150-180 price range?

nexus 6p vs galaxy s7

which do i want

and if the s7, do i want the s7 or edge?

challenge: pick a color

Wait, do American carriers really brand the phones?

just verizon

anyway, got a favorite?

Yes, and some of their choices were worse than this. Who remembered Verizon putting its logo on the Galaxy Note 2's home button?

My nexus 6 is too big, nexus 6p is about the same size. I haven't used your options, but I'd blindly vote s7.

I'm getting an SE and i wanna know if any other users have a 3rd party keyboard like Swype or Swyftkey. I mostly use my 4inch android one handed with the swiping keyboard and i'd like to know the iPhone SE users experience on this

>good camera
I've heard the OP3's camera is middling at best, so you may want to look elsewhere if that's important to you. Fingerprint reader's good from what I've seen, though.

I've got an OP3 on the way, I personally don't care about the camera as long as pictures don't look like a 200X webcam JPEG, and I've had wakelock issues on other phones before that were fixed with a ROM change, so it doesn't bother me.

Yes, although most of them choose to put the logo on the back or something these days, shit like pic related is purely Verizon.

>switching from T-mobile to Verizon
>T-mobile will send us free phones in the mail
>without authorization, someone ports our phone numbers from Verizon over to T-mobile before T-mobile phones arrive
>middle of work week, our vzw phones are deactivated, T-mobile has our numbers, we have no way to use either T-Mobile or Verizon

so who fucked up and how do i get maximum reimbursement for this

S7 for sure! Nexus 6P is getting kind of old and they're about to replace it at the end of the year. S7 is a very good phone.Possibly the best you can get at the moment.

Lawyer up

Also xth reminder for Asus Zenfone 3 is the best fucking phone this world has ever fucking seen

>I've heard the OP3's camera is middling at best, so you may want to look elsewhere if that's important to you.

it seems to be the best for the price by a decent bit, i'd go for the 6p but that's another $100 above the op3 which i'm already struggling to drop the cash on.

Played with the S7 the other day and was a little overwhelmed with all of the features that it had. Though it was a bit of a whirlwind I thought the camera was AMAZING.

The 6p seems kind of large, but it's incredibly flexible as far as rom support goes and will have that support for MUCH longer than the lifetime of the S7. So it's kinda hard to pick.

It seems my OP3 has come out unscathed from a lot of the bugs/glitches that appear.
I would guess that its probably first and near first adopters phones that have these issues from the look of things, but I dont know at this point
I love mine, its the fastest phone Ive used and you cant go wrong with the 6gb of ram (Yes they fixed the aggressive ram management in the recent update)

>I've heard the OP3's camera is middling at best

Unless you're overly pedantic, the camera is more than capable.

>anyway, got a favorite?
I would choose the S7 Edge in either black or silver, with maybe a preference for silver (only seen black in person, though).

>pic related
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph that's disgusting.

Just got my Nexus 6p.
I love it but I'm already noticing its horrendous battery life.

Is there anything I can buy to increase the battery's lifespan; like a battery pack accessory or something? I know you can disable GPS and a whole bunch of other things in the phone to increase battery life but I don't want to do that.

sHOULDVE WAITED A MONTH FOR THE NEW NEXUS LINE

>Unless you're overly pedantic
Can't say I'm surprised by that statement given that so many people with a camera, even a smartphone one, think they're a photographer these days.

One of many reasons I refuse to do business with Verizon.

Like what they all seem to be 3g only no lte?

but I'm impatient and I don't think I can afford a brand new phone. Nexus 6p isn't that expensive.

Repost from last spg:

I can't decide between the Z5C and the new XA. Current phone is Z3C

Z5c pros:
>smaller (manlet hands)
>larger battery
>better rear camera
>Snap 810
>Fingerprint
>Better audio
>Waterproof

Cons:
>Need to import + get 3rd party warranty
>One band missing from T-mo HSPA+ (1700MHz iirc?)

XA pros:
>Newer
>Better front camera
>Edge-to-edge screen
>American warranty
>Full T-mo support

Cons:
>Helio P10
>Larger
>No flagship stuff (fingerprint, ""hires"" audio, probably other stuff)
>No custom ROMs yet

yep, some support lte though - note 3 pro etc

I wanted a xiomi note pro 3 but can't find a global one online at all.

Whats a good phone in the $150-180 price range? I live in the U.S and use AT&T, I hear the Redmi note 3 pro is the way to go, but is there anything out there that can top it?

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_308825.html

I found this one but it does not support the correct bands however on will it work it says a global variant is out.

who /mediatek/ here

leanding towards the Leagoo Z5 LTE with android 6.0

any thoughts?

and how can i buy it directly from leagoo?

I would preffer a mi max if they have that in global?

No.

Is now a good time to buy a chinkfone? Or should I wait for the next SoC to come out.
Don't need anything fancy, just relatively smooth performance, 5-6" readable screen, and a decent (at least 1 day heavy use) battery life.
Will there be new models

Time to replace my Lumia 1020 now that Windows Phone is dead

Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Wanted features: great camera (OIS preferred but not necessary)
Android
Clean UI/skin (I liked the Live Tiles on Windows Phone, and I want to avoid a boring grid interface or a bloated manufacturer skin)
Budget: 350 CAD (about 268 USD right now). Open to buying good-condition used phones.
Size: less than 5.5 inch display

Thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=4017YK3Bu0U

If you can bump to 400, you can get the Moto G4 Plus. There's not a lot in that price bracket in Canada.

Moto G4, only because of the bands compatibility.

any help on deciding on a new phone?

I'm on T-Mobile and living in America. looking to spend $450 or under.

will mainly be using it for stuff like YouTube, shit posting/lurking on clover, browsing and light games.

would also like to have multi window and a nice camera/video coming from a moto x 1st gen

was thinking between a oneplus 3, s6 edge or Nexus 6p. any other suggestions that have what I'm looking for and work with T-Mobile would be nice to know about.

Stock rooted galaxy S3 makes an unlock noise at random times.
Is there a setting for this hidden somewhere?
Been pissing me off for ages

Z5c of course. Why are you even considering a phone that's much worse than your current one, and terrible overall? Come on

There's always going to be something new. Smartphones have stopped major improvements for a few years now. Just find something you like at a price you can afford and buy it.

Where do you keep up with the news for these OPs?

Am I the only one who owns their iPhone 6s and enjoys it? The simple functionality. iPhones were never meant to be the Most versatile mobile phone/device. They were invented for elegance and luxury. I do not own one for functionality outside of the basic apps, or calling. You buy an iPhone because you have money to waste on a child friendly, Luxury device.

Don't reply, just filter

Where did you get so retarded?

Samsung makes luxury devices that are superior in every way.

that may be true, but the iPhone is KNOWN to be a luxury brand, Samsung is a practicality and Function brand.

Do you encrypt your phone? Do you think it is worth the performance hit?

>implying this isn't what Sup Forums believes.

Pajeet has hacked your phone, user, and he's looking at your web history.

From the average user's perspective, there's nothing wrong with iPhones. They're perfectly adequate devices for the needs of 99% of people out there, and you get the bonus of having the best app and accessory support in the business.

Sup Forums is the 1%, though, the enthusiasts who like messing around with their gadgets, and to some degree just having something unique and different. I'm sure people will disagree with me, but IMO iPhones are fine and having one is fine, it's just not Sup Forums.

Nexus 6p, the only phone to get support for years to come.

Depends what you have on your phone and how suspicious you are.

Yes

The womb I suppose? Doesn't really help me with my question though.

>child friendly

Are you a child?

So my contract is up. I have an iphone 4s, thing is pretty much pristine but I need a new plan. Going through Telus in Canada, I can get a very good contract out of loyalty there. What's actually a decent phone though?

I'm not really looking for specs, only thing I really care about is battery life. I phone 6 and the Galaxy S5 are fucking huge IMO so I want to avoid that, the iphone 6s is decent enough in terms of size, both phone and screen but I will have to pay more for it. I'm not brand loyal or interested in leading edge specs. Just looking for something decent on battery, I really only like iphone for the simplicity of the UI (I'm not a fucking moron but I prefer it aesthetically to the Samsung UI). What's a good phone for someone like me who doesn't give much of a shit about the tech I carry in my pocket?

>he has an iphone
>he has a contract
get a iphone se you're literally too dumb for anything else

You're probably too stupid to use a real phone, just get another iPhone.