Guys, I'm lost. I'm a complete mess and I feel like I'm going nowhere with my CS major

Guys, I'm lost. I'm a complete mess and I feel like I'm going nowhere with my CS major.

>21
>going for associate's in CS/software engineering at community college
>about 4 classes from finishing
>on summer break, feel lazy as shit, working part time at grocery store to pay bills
>doing absolutely nothing with my tech knowledge at home, not motivated to work on anything, no imagination, don't practice code because I don't want to dedicate to any one language when I'm not sure what I even want to do with degree

I've been meaning to make some mods with Blender but I'm too unmotivated. did I fall for a meme degree? I don't even like coding that much. It's fun the classroom but doing it in my free time is agonizing. I don't like looking up solutions for every line of code that I get stuck on. Maybe I'll give 3D modeling another shot. If I start doing all the Sup Forums shit like gentoo, gnu/linux, personal computing stuff, will I become a tech wizard without the need to code anything?

Fuck off huh is nothing I do good enough for you?
Cs/ce is fine. Math PhD is a meme and I don't have the capacity for it.

21 and still going for an associates? How is it taking you so long assuming you went to cc straight outta highschool?

I was homeschooled until 16, then went to CC for a few years to kinda "catch up" on the classes I didn't really focus on in homeschool, and general classes needed for every degree. I've only been taking CS classes for 2~ years, 1 or 2 a semester. It's been going slow for financial reasons

>did I fall for a meme degree?
No user, you are the meme

this is why i lol @ people that go to uni

90% of you are useless

Just did a B.S. in C.S.
Can confirm that it is useless for the people who don't explore new technologies or practice general programming problems in their own time.

I had no problem with dynamic programming or bare bones ADT problems, but I often panic when I see a real programming problem on topcoder and the like.

However, I think Linux is addictive and system administration has been my hobby for the last 3 years. So I'm seeking a devOps or SysAdmin position so that emphasis on my code is minimal.

tl;dr
IDK

I'm 21 too and just starting my degree for CS. I was in college when I was 20 but I ended up in the hospital for a while. Didn't even get to finish my first semester as a freshman. Just like OP, I was homeschooled as well. Now I'm transferring to community college for an associates. Big difference for me was that, despite being a no job NEET for so long, I practiced 3D art constantly and for the last two years I've been programming for fun.

The time I was in college it kinda sucked cause all the time I used to dedicate to programming on my own projects I was instead doing homework and studying. I don't blame ya OP for lacking motivation if you're tuckered out from school/work. Since you got some free time I'd really consider what it is you wanna do though. You can still do tech stuff even if it's not your passion. And having a degree in hand is good.

Get a trade

I'm sorry ;_;

this is why I'm afraid. I don't want to be the retarded graduate intern. I just want to be knowledgeable in my field.

this helps me. I think I realize I like to "tinker" with software/programs and operating systems, more than I like creating my own stuff from scratch. I want to fix problems, not create more and get frustrated

how do you like 3D art compared to coding? It sounds like you're me just with a different mindset

become a Sup Forumslazier

I don't understand why anybody would fall for the computer science meme. It's such an oversaturated field these days. Every faggot and his mom are doing it.

Tbh you probably are gonna go nowhere. There aren't enough jobs, and the ones that are around will be given to Poo-Loos, to boost diversity statistics, and because Poo-Loos will work for less.

Buy a Arduino and start automating your house.

I've thought about it. raspberry pi's and arduinos seem neat, but I'm not sure what I'd do with them. again, I don't have creativity when it comes to things I can actually make. I'd probably turn one into a wi-fi extender or something

Hey OP, there's nothing wrong with liking to tinker. It sounds like your problem is not knowing how to debug an error without Google. This is one thing that linux teaches you well (over lots of time, after lots of googling). But you also need to write lots of shitty code. After enough debugging with gdb/valgrind you learn not to make errors that cant be fixed in two seconds. Just keep struggling. It does get easier.

You probably need teachers that know how to teach and don't just tell you exactly what to do. This is the struggle of community college. I hope you keep trying to get into it.

Should have tried coding to see if it was for you before you got in. Typical "I like games so I'm going to love cs" dropout.

But user, I fucking hate all the video game business stands for, and 95% of silicon valley.

3D was pretty cool and, truth be told, I haven't really given up on it despite switching my priorities to programming. I ended up doing an online internship with a game company and I applied as both a programmer and an artist. After viewing my portfolio of previous games and artwork they said my stuff was too stylized but I seemed to know my way around a game engine pretty well. I decided to let the outcome of that situation determine what I end up doing. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to do anything with them but it still helped me figure out what I want to do. Something else to take from that situation is that, whether you're an artist or programmer, you'll still end up specializing in something for a career. Maybe you do architecture, cartoons, animate, etc... Same as we have game programming, network stuff, etc...

I myself am really interested in graphics programming and I'm developing a game engine with DirectX. My skills with 3D are definitely helping me out here. It also feels more rewarding to me having my assets put to use instead of just in a pretty picture. The cool thing about 3D and programming is that they go hand in hand. If you know Python you can even make custom addons for blender.

You're better off than me, user. Similar situation except I wasn't motivated enough to finish community college and I don't have a job.

I started my associates at 23 and finished this year at 26. It usually takes 2 years to do but it took me 2.5 years because I was working. After highschool I traveled around the country for a few years doing odd jobs like working at county fairs and picking fruit among other things. I ended up working in ND for a while selling Ford pickups and when the boom crashed I moved to Florida where I work as a real estate agent mainly to people from latin america (learned spainish from agricultural work) and some people I met in ND who are moving down.

Life if weird, I use so much of the odd things I learned from my nomad period in my current job and even though I don't have my bachelors I'm doing better than a lot of people who went to college straight out of HS. I have a wife, car, kid and house paid for in full. Everyone should go to college but not everyone should go straight out of highschool, some people need to take time to decompress and find their place in the world. I start my bachelors in August and should earn it by the time I'm 28.

Good on you user, seems like you've got a good grip on life.

I dont know how it is in the US, but here in germany universities usually have positions for small scale part time jobs for stuff like implementing and testing some new algorithms or working on open source projects, so if you have something like this its a pretty good way to get some experience while not having to sacrifice your grades.