Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YbAhn7iKLPc
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469204414043.webm
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469215149182.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=CHSwsgvjsjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's one massive nuke.

>OMG it has hydrogen, it's a nuke!

But why do they use cows to hold down the lines?

These tiny as fuck sons of bitches right here. It always amazes me how we have been able to now cram 256GB of storage in one of these. Not only that but they now have the same write/read speeds of HDDs, have longer lifespans than HDDs, and even outperform them in some tasks.

surgical automation is fascinating

fun fact: during WW1 the germans were denied helium supplies for their war zeppelins, which they proceeded to fill with hydrogen and use anyway.

Even after the invention of incendiary rounds near the middle of the war, it was sometimes difficult to ignite the gas inside these zeppelins due to low oxygenation and damp outer coatings.

The reason the hindenburg went up in flames due to static discharge was actually probably due to the flammable paint which covered its envelope starting the fire until enough oxygen had infiltrated the hydrogen to make it flammable too.

Nobody ever seems to thinks about aluminum foil as tech, but it is.

But then again I have never seen Sup Forums actually define technology either.

Also bullet holes in the bottom of the craft did little as the gas didn't fall out, thus many ground based guns could not even hurt them enough to halt their heavy bombing attacks.

Let just admit it, airships were badass war machines. Which if updated could still hold a tactical niche in modern warfare.

I want both, don't care.

What is that device on the left?

Machine tools, especially really big ones. CNC or manual.

>Let just admit it, airships were badass war machines. Which if updated could still hold a tactical niche in modern warfare.

There's a potential niche, but it's not anywhere near the enemy. They only worked in WWI because it was really hard to hit them with shells large enough to do serious damage, especially since aiming was visual and the airships attacked at night. With proximity fuses and radar gunlaying, though, even WWII-era AAA would knock them out of the sky in seconds, and missiles would shred them before they got anywhere close to the target area.

>tfw you will never work at Bell Labs

>Sup Forums actually define technology either.
it's whatever Sup Forums would use

humanity is amazing

I use a big Mazak CNC machine at work

Not until you learn to resize your images.

They're using the zeppelin to hold the cows up. This saves them valuable energy, allowing them to grow larger in less time. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THIS WAS OBVIOUS.

>R101
youtu.be/YbAhn7iKLPc

The R101 was British. Not a Zeppelin.

nations were competing with their space programs. Britain used cows. USSR did bears. Canada tried Moose and failed, resulting in a high death toll

I heard that was (and likely still is) the most maneuverable manned fighter at supersonic speeds, due to its relatively tiny wings.

And I think you had to land at like 200mph (most fighters land at 120 or so)

I grew up on Apple before they were cool. I started on a 6502, then went to 68K, then PowerPC, and fucking dropped them once they went x86

PowerPC turned me on to RISC. I also have a boner for SPARC, and currently have naughty thoughts for ARM

The US just used Americans.

here you are op you huge fgt

Actually it was so maneuvrable that you had to be careful with every single movement. It was a hell of a aircraft to pilot, a single wrong maneuver and you'd be dead

you. are. weird.

(I had a PowerMac too.)

I may be wrong but I believe it's a CT scan machine

If you're keen on the R-101 you must have read "Sliderule".

>you will never go on a luxurious airship ride

I also wonder about the potential for freight airships; they can go faster than freight trains and would be fairly easy to automate as far as aircraft are concerned.

PPC 4 life nigga

Such comfy interiors

how much do you think a modern blimp would cost? i would like to tour the world in one.

>giant complex
>millions of wires running along the cealing
>electromechanical machines routing thousands of things at the same time

i would've loved to be in one of those rooms when they were operating.
Now the same stuff is done with 2 fiber cables and a small box that occasionally blinks.

Military radios.

>mixing flat and philips screws
That doesn't seem very clever.

Shazam is a weird technology. So useful but never spoken of. It's on everyone's phones but hardly anyone uses it.

A big part of what I want to do as a computer scientist is better the synergy between man and the prosthetic limb while minimizing cost. Probably in the wrong field.

If a ship is replaced piece by piece as the parts need replacing until every single part is replaced, is it the same ship? What if you took all of the old parts and reconstructed the old ship?

Is the colorizer the fetish?

I just want into neural networks so bad but idk what to use one for.

What's interesting, is while CPUs are hitting the physical limit, we could still get 10-100x denser memory. Good news if you want cheap data, bad if you think about how the government will record every fucking thing you ever do for eternity. Good news is they won't have cpu power to process it unless photonics shits a golden baby.

AMD being dead is my fetish. I'm soon reaching my orgasm.

I'm a BTB operator, and I share this fetish, working with big ass CNC machines all day makes up for it being 110 degrees inside

I don't know If I want to work at a place where the security guard is a giant cheese puff

Pic related super hard and anything similar

Literal sorcery.

>inb4 lrn2compress

It's a radar, antenna, t-rex cage?

Russian "duga" OTH radar, has been scrapped few years back :^(

Moar sexy OC

what the fuck is wrong with you?
why did you turn a normal picture into a 640*480 thumbnail?

This

That's a bit harsh, user. I did upload both versions. I resized it because some people don't like loading 2.5MB images that they might not even like over a data capped mobile network. I'd have ignored it if it were 800KB or a megabyte but 2.5MB seems like a bit too much. You can still get the general idea from the VGA downsized picture and the thumbnail resolutions are actually much smaller.

Soon

Yeah, I could have compressed it better. You are correct but I never claimed I did my best and used JPEG compression to it's best. I did it on a phone.
>inb4 static webm

>tfw the company you work for has an oompa loompa as a guard

Seconded

Thirded

Literally why I'm going into computer science

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469204414043.webm

>you will never dorifto a tank
Why even

What is that cute little thing?
I think I want one, but tech spec first as I can't just add everything to my must have list.

pic for you

The technology design in the 70-90s.

Looks like a futuristic cath lab to me. So probably xray

The name and tech specs are in the video.
It's the Uran-9 unmanned AFV.
It's got a 7.62mm machine gun, 30mm autocannon, Igla SAMs and Ataka ATGMs.

Unmanned?

Don't care about any real tactical advantage, I need a driver seat. It is dead to me.

Apple really ruined technology design

Now everything is a rectangle with a screen

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1469215149182.webm

>blimp with 4 helicopters for lift/propulsion
I never knew such a thing existed but now it seems weird if no one had tried.

It's all fun and games until this happens:
youtube.com/watch?v=CHSwsgvjsjc

Helium actually wasn't available in meaningful quantities until after WWI, and before WWII was only really used by the Americans, who decided to use it in all their airships after the Roma and R38 airship disasters, both of which used hydrogen. The Germans wanted to use helium for the Hindenburg, after the R101 disaster (that's the airship depicted in the OP), however the Americans refused to sell it to them, fearing they were going to use it for military purposes (keeping in mind this was around the time Hitler came to power and was starting rearmament, which everyone was still kind of paranoid about due to memories of WWI - even in the 20s, before Hitler came to power, the Americans needed to get permission from the former Allied Powers to use the airship Los Angeles in a wargame exercise with THEIR OWN naval fleet, simply because the airship was built in Germany). Zeppelins were difficult to bring down since they had a thick outer skin which bullets might fail to penetrate at long ranges, and even closer they might cause the bullet to tumble and thus fail to penetrate the inner gasbags that actually contained the hydrogen. And those gasbags were maintained at a high standard of purity (meaning no oxygen), so it was difficult to start a fire even if an incendiary bullet made it in there. Additionally, since the hydrogen was not under pressure, holes in the gas cells anywhere but the top (which was difficult to achieve since zeppelins could usually outclimb airplanes of the time) would not cause a major loss of buoyancy. What the British eventually settled on was using a mixture of explosive and incendiary bullets, fired continuously at the same spot, in order to tear open the gas cells, let the hydrogen mix with oxygen, and THEN set it alight.

>The reason the hindenburg went up in flames due to static discharge was actually probably due to the flammable paint which covered its envelope starting the fire until enough oxygen had infiltrated the hydrogen to make it flammable too.
As I understand it, the flammable paint theory is mostly discredited, while technically flammable it burns too slowly to account for any major damage in the timeframe we're talking about. It's possible that a spark or static discharge started a fire on the flammable paint, but there had to be a hydrogen leak in the first place for it to result in disaster. It's suspected that a sharp turn prior to the landing attempt caused one of the internal bracing cables to snap and slash open one of the gas bags just ahead of the tail, resulting in a hydrogen leak that was then ignited by static discharge conveyed by water on the mooring cables.

Rigid airships in general are often called zeppelins.

portable pc like oqo

Alternative architectures in general just fascinate me, PowerPC and MIPS being my favourites. I've got an SGI O2 in a closet along with a bunch more PowerPC and 68k Macs too

It never ceases to amaze me how Sup Forums overestimates government competence.
Fear the private contractors, governments (any gov, I'm not even in the US) are generic paid dudes who want to do as little work as possible.

You would've hated trying to fix it.

microsds have lower lifespans than HDDs

private contractors are synonymous with government

Now if only we could power these things using the body, instead of relying on an external power source

Airships still could be useful in Anti-Submarine warfare. The USN used them during WWII to hunt german U-boats, and they worked pretty well. Though Subs carry missiles now so maybe not so much.

Another possibility is as drone carrier capable of housing and maintaining drones, or a guided missile carrier which can loiter near enemy lines to provide support, but not near enough where they can easily be targeted by the enemy

kek

You should be studying biomedical engineering instead.