Debian + xfce VS Xubuntu

Debian + xfce VS Xubuntu.

Is there any difference?

Debian is the guy who raises the chickens. Ubuntu is the supermarket which sells the eggs in its own branded packaging.

Same eggs either way. It's just that the latter take a little longer to get to you and come in a prettier/more convenient wrapper.

Yes, Debian gives you Freedom. Canonical fucks your ass.

>Food analogy

But Canonical has nothing to do with xubuntu.

Sorry my bad. I'll try again.

Debian is the manufacturer of the car. Ubuntu is the dealership which sells the eggs in its own branded showroom. Same car either way. It's just that the latter takes a little longer to get to you and comes in a prettier/more convenient presentation.

Debian is a fucking dinosaur.
Just by a car...

if you haven't installed either yet go with xubuntu. It supports non free drivers better than debian does and it's visually appealing.

What's a car dealership doing selling eggs?

This isn't some commie shithole, user. The government doesn't set up improvised breadlines to feed the starving masses with black bread and fucked up eggs.

With Debian you get outdated packages

Just use Xubuntu

Look, we can't be having the chickens sell directly to the people. Consumers don't understand eggs that well. They need an unbiased third party to explain to them all of the standard and optional features of the eggs. Egg dealerships have people persons. Chickens aren't even persons at all.

Define outdated without buzzwords.

good post

i give it 10/10 keks

incompatibilities and errors when running software due to lack of support, required dependencies not being available, etc

Running what software?

They have a far slower release cycle for packages into their repo than pretty much any other distro

I have a a6-6400k amd processor and I would like to know if it would run well on xubuntu, the amd site says it has support for ubuntu and I assume I can install these drivers on xubuntu.

Xubuntu comes with better/more drivers and you don't have to add repositories to find more software.

hundreds of packages

>slower release cycles
What does it matter?

You can always use Testing for newer packages (or backports), and Unstable for more of a "rolling-release"

It matters to some people

I've heard both are pretty slow cycles as well but I could be wrong

So, xubuntu is the answer.

>What's a car dealership doing selling eggs?
Who said it was a car dealership?

PPA's maybe?

PPA works in one of them

Both good IMO.Maybe Xubuntu for better all around quick setup and evniroment.but they can both and are sort of same. I prefer ubuntu community and support more though.

xubuntu-minimal also exists. an ISO without the added software packages etc. I guess it's just xubuntu-core

Is it possible to get ubuntu mini or debian neitnstall to work with wifi? can you add firmware to folder

They're mostly the same, but on Debian you'll have to spend some time fixing your font rendering and some other small tweaks, and PPAs don't work very well in Debian compared to Ubuntu.

I'm now going to open an egg dealership.

COMPILE SHIT YOURSELF IF YOU CARE

Why is so god damn hard to find a debian installation iso? Their fucking website is awful.

Leled at this
>most underrated post in this thread.

Wrong, debian is for cucks because it's a SJW OS.

Repositories in Unstable/Sid are updated every 6 hours. There are usually a few updates every time. As long as you are not stupid and use common sense, this thing is super stable. I've never had any real issues.

Testing will pull packages one at a time once they have been bugfree for 10 days I believe. For example, if GCC has a bug found that fails to link the math library let's say...Unstable will allow you to install the package still, but testing will not pull that package into its repo, saving you time and effort of downgrading and whatnot. However say the package somehow gets into testing, you have to wait at least 10 days for a fix. Pros and cons.

I suggest not updating packages in either carelessly. Install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges (I believe these are the package names). When you upgrade, they will search for bugs and changes every time. If bugs exist, they list them and their severity. It'll ask you again if you want to continue. You press y and she goes. You press n and it stops.

Tldr: Unstable isn't unstable at all as long as you aren't stupid. Its probably more stable than *buntu is.

Fun fact, LTS Ubuntu releases get all of their packages from testing's repo. Non-LTS releases use unstable's repo.

>not "they're"

is this the new desktop thread

>getting eggs at your dealership
>2016

>analogies
lol Americans

Why everyone keep saying debian is SJW? What am I missing from that OS? What's the issue with that shit?

Debian developers are VERY left wing extremist.

Just read any of their discussions amongst themselves.

eurocucks leave

Yes. XFCE is the desktop environment used for both. Both Debian and Ubuntu are the operating systems underneath which are based on GNU. I believe Ubuntu is based on Debian. If you don't mind a very small amount of Amazon botnet and you're just jerking off and browsing Sup Forums, Ubuntu is the way to go. If you want to get serious work done while having your privacy respected, use Debian.

It's been years but if I remember correctly Ubuntu is a little more 'out the box' and 'plug n' play' than Debian. As in Ubuntu offers default proprietary drivers and bunch of shit that you might not even want. Kind of sucks because even Debian comes with a bunch of shit that you might not even want and probably don't need. If I went back to Debian it would just be too tedious slimming it down.

Amazon search is only in Unity.

You can get a DE-less version of Debian which is about ~400mb, or even a bare-bones network-installation version which is like ~280mb?

Kek

because of the read-only nature of an ISO, no. you need a separate usb with the firmware you want, or you can physically connect to your router and get that package after installation.

This is somewhat recent in the history of Debian

My current Debian unstable with Cinnamon installation is pretty much the best goddamn setup I've ever tried.