Home Server Thread

Home server Thread

Post home servers, setups, questions, etc.

I've just bought my own house and will need to setup a low power home server.

What are my options?

>1 poster

Oh the shame of it.

Yeah, I want to know what people have and what I could get, big deal?

If you make a thread about a general topic, you don't put your own questions in the OP user. You ask them in a second post.

>being this new

Raspberry Pi is a good option for most home users.

network attached storage

HP Micro server

old pic - its different now but haven't photographed it - yuyuko is replaces with 2 x N36L Microserver

can I ask why you would need this, why bother with such a huge rack mount for 1 32gb ssd (one of them)

what is the benefit of like 5 blades of stuff in a full rack in a house, I honestly don't know

I have tons of computers and computer shit but have no idea what i would do with this

Where can I get a beige server tower for cheap?

2 x E5-2670
64GB DDR3 RAM
12 x 1TB in RAID0
GTX 950

Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise.
pfSense in a VM for home intranet and firewalling.
Cygwin sshd for tunneling.

Seems stupidly powerful for a home server. What do you need all that power for?

>not using FreeBSD + ZFS

>, why bother with such a huge rack mount for 1 32gb ssd (one of them)

neither of them are like that - there is(was) HDDs in there as well.

3u is also the smallest that will take a standard ATX psu easily.

It was only $600. Add a $150 graphics card and it still costs less than a typical gaming PC even with the added benefits of RAID and ECC RAM.

>12 x 1TB in RAID0
Are you striping your data across 12 drives? Doing that is pretty much asking for downtime.

It's been running for 3 years like that already. I also make biweekly backups to tape.

"ORION":
Dell PowerEdge 2970
2x 2.2GHz AMD Opteron 2354 Quad Cores
14GB of DDR2 RAM
2x 160GB Western Digital Caviar Blue Boot Drives (RAID 1)
2x 400GB Seagate Cheetah 10k RPM SAS drives for Storage (RAID 1)
Dell vFlash enabled (16.5MB for ROMS)
8GB of Flash for Recovery ISO
DRAC 5 controller

Does:
DNLA via Windows Media Player and Plex
Organizes and adds meta data to my music
Virtual Machine Host for family and friends
Occasional large file packer (RAR5's)

My rating 7/10
Needs more RAM (and a less odd ball kind too)
Runs toasty
Noisy as fuck (Sounds like a jet sometimes)
Likes to be an asshole during reboots sometimes

but what do you do with it

I use NAS for movies, what do you need 20 cat 5 cables running out of your home server for

got one of the mini-itx fractal design cases with a psu for a few bucks off local craigslist, bought a cheap low power intel atom board and put some extra ram and hard drives I had laying around in there

serves as a file sharing/media/torrent server, also running zoneminder

a server with 64gb of ecc ram and a 12x RAID is $600?

where can i buy this and what is it called

Well I guess it's reliable enough for home use with quality drives, but you won't be able to access the data from the server if one drive breaks. And I assumed that you are doing backups, not backing up with that setup would be absolute madness. I just thought about the risk for downtime.

>what is a network

But as its always on, your electricity bill must be high. Why do you have a graphics card in a server?

why 12 in raid what are you pulling that needs that much speed to sacrifice so many tbs of storage?

guy i am asking you what you do with it

is the answer "nothing i just wanted to make a crazy home network and use half a mile of cat 5"

I got it from my dad's workplace since they were replacing their servers. The $600 went toward the drives since they obviously removed the old ones.

Because I'm too poor to build a separate gaming PC. Right now the entire setup is using 176 watts, and that's including a 17" CRT monitor.

I get speeds that rival SSDs with the drives set up like that. Like I said before I make backups so I'm not particularly worried about drive failure. If one does fail I might look into RAID 10.

Currently have a small file server. Running Windows 7 professional.
>Pentium G3460
>2x2GB ddr3-1600mhz
>asrock h97 mitx
>fractal node 304
>2x4TB Toshiba drives. 4TB usable. (Movies)
>single Seagate 2TB.(music)

Thinking of picking up 2 more 4TB drives. They're only like $120 a peice. I use this thing as my file server. I rip and encode a lot of DVDs and blurays myself and stream them across the network to various devices. Works great thus far. For my uses, is ECC even something I should consider? That and a super micro C226 chipset board to support it of course. Or is ECC really only good for enterprise?

Lastly, anyone here using a raspberry pi at all? I have a model B version 2 sitting around. While I know the internet speed is limited because it runs through the USB bus, would it be good for small transfers? Kinda looking to tinker and want to make a low power dedicated backup for my Android devices to connect to via SMB. Would be uploading maybe a few MB worth of pictures every few days.

you can buy more than 1tb of ssds for less than $600

But then I'd be worried about write endurance like I do with my laptop. The SSD I have in that has only been in service for 4 years and it's already at 82% of its rated write endurance.

>buy shitty 120gb intel ssd
>be autistic so reinstall os every month
>constantly downloading torrents to it
>still higher than 95% life remaining
it's nothing to worry about anymore, user.
ssds fail predictably anyway, you know when to replace it unlike a hard drive.

>20 cat 5 cables running out of your home server for

2 ports at my brothers room, 2 ports in my mothers room, 2 ports in my other brothers room, 2 ports in the hall, 4 ports in my room, 6 ports in the living room - they all come into the patch panel form the rest of the house.

16 of those for into the switch one goes modem, then to router then router goes into switch, 7 in total from the servers, so 23 ports used on the switch

So where can I get 12 1TB SSDs for a reasonable price? Last time I checked a 1TB SSD was at least $200.

Did your house come with ethernet ports on the walls or did you have to install them yourself?

>2 ports at my brothers room, 2 ports in my mothers room, 2 ports in my other brothers room, 2 ports in the hall, 4 ports in my room, 6 ports in the living room - they all come into the patch panel form the rest of the house.

tfw i have my own apartment and the cable modem is right next to my desk and i use wifi for both my computer and TV to hit the NAS on the modem when i could run cables with no trouble

feels ok

>NAS on the modem

on the wifi router i mean

naw, I installed and wired it all myself years ago

That's what I thought. I've never seen a house with prewired ethernet ports.

>For my uses, is ECC even something I should consider?
If you care about uptime you'd use ECC. If you're okay with restarting your system every now and then it's probably unnecessary.

>2000+16
>still using wires

kill yourself fat neckbeard pedo scum

>2000+16
>still using data transfer methods susceptible to interference and leakage

>leakage

this really sounds like a totally different person

shameless samefagging is ok tho

You have no options. If you have your own house you have no excuse.

Buy a proper rack and fill it up with all the good stuff:

1) modem
2) router
3) switch
4) general purpose server (build it yourself)
5) file server (build it yourself)
6) UPS

Stick to modular devices. If you get a all-in-one device you're gonna regret it.

Just curious, is it possible to have a mail server without having a static IP?

yes but dont

OK, I have 2 people that live with me, we have NAS in the living room with many tbs of movies and shit, we all get on wifi in our rooms for shitposting

literally what would we do with a rack server and all that stuff, what benefit would we receive

and why do you need a general purpose server AND a file server in a home, are you hosting your own email or something, i don't get it

genuinely curious

how

Extensibility. The general purpose server and file server should be split in case you require additional hard drives. It's easier to just buy a new unit and add it to the rack.

but we never have had an extensiblity problem

intel e8400
2,5gb ddr2
500gb hdd
ubuntu server

this is running under my bed.

Those specs and then

>Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise

What a waste. Also 64GB is enough is a meme.

hello theo

Then what OS should I be running?

>homeserver is up for a long time
>tfw blackout

Glad I'm not the only PA-RISC user here.

You can cheat your uptime by having your UPS software hibernate the server when a blackout occurs.

I'll get round to tidying the cables at some point, but at least i have good server protection, especially that big guy.

>Testing area for stuff before I push it to production
>Transmission
>Media Server
>DNS Server (Pi-Hole)
>DHCP Server
>PokemonGo-Map

Probably some other crap I've forgot about.

P4
8Gb ram
1x 5200rpm 500Gb
onboard Gb nic
12 gauge speaker wire
CentOS 6

here it is from the other angle

air cooling

What uses for home server? Atm I'm running ts3 server, nextcloud and minecraft server.

the HD is only held up by finishing nails which i would like to upgrade to screws at some point but it seems fine for now so im going to leave it.

SSH tunnel
Media streaming

> all sorts of hardware
> guys what should i do with it

nice one Sup Forums

Plex, centralised backups for all my devices and machines. I'm still new to Ubuntu server but im getting the hang of it. Managed to setup a SSH tunnel which comes in real fucking handy.

My phone provider gives me free data roamig in certain countries but they recently started throttling streaming sites, jewtube and even accessing my own plex server was limited to 10kb/s. With SSH tunnel from my phone I always got at least 1mb/s.

One of the benefits of a home server that I could see would be the option of a smaller chassis for your main rig, maybe? Less of a focus on drive bays, and more on form factor.

Oh my, that looks so comfy

plex
ftp
automatic torrenting for muh shows
idk what else to do with this thing

lackrack
200mb wan, gigabit lan
24TB, 64gb ddr2, dual amd quads

Plex, RDP, IIS

Hear me out -- Socket AM1 is a great low power server platform.

I have an Athlon 5350 and an AM1b-ITX, which performs like a Core 2 Duo. Board and CPU cost about $75 total.

Works fine for Plex transcoding, I have it on a Debian server. Certain AM1 boards will take 19V DC in so you can ditch the power supply.

>tfw your only server right now is your router
my HP server is sitting powered off at my parents, needs new drives and somewhere better to be stored

centos minimal, I built it this past screen from some spare parts I had lying around and ~$200 worth of other stuff got from microcenter
dual core pentium 4GB RAM, 60GB ssd, 3x 1GB NICs

right now it does my internal routing, dhcp, dns, it has an externally available website for file downloads. I use it for some small development stuff, mainly for an express js website and some Go stuff I'm playing with

probably one of my best investments desu, it boots up in

calm down with the caps m8

So i recently upgraded this shitty prebuilt from 2012 into something that can actually run things well.
Now my question is, With a left over PSU, Left over Motherboard (Current in picture, Will upgrade soon) and a budget CPU, HDD/SSD, and some ram, Could i potentially make a tiny computer just for running a server?
IE: Terraria

What services are you looking to provide?

Also, WHY THE FUCK DOES AMD NOT SELL PCIE 3.0 MOTHERBOARD. I SWEAR TO GOT THERES ONLY 1 IN THE UNIVERSE GOING FOR $180

muh rack

I did that here you could probably pickup a budget 2/4 core AMD cpu, a drive and 4+GB RAM for

Just installed this a couple days ago. It runs an imageboard, but imagemagick is a faggot.
System: Host: linux-fa79 Kernel: 4.1.27-24-default x86_64 (64 bit) Console: tty 0 Distro: openSUSE Leap 42.1
Machine: Mobo: Microsoft model: Virtual Machine v: 7.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: 090006 date: 04/28/2016
CPU: Single core Intel Core i5-4690K (-UP-) cache: 6144 KB speed: 3499 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Microsoft Hyper-V virtual VGA
Display Server: N/A driver: N/A tty size: 154x87 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Network: Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives: HDD Total Size: 10.7GB (36.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Virtual_Disk size: 10.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 8.6G used: 2.3G (28%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: /tmp size: 8.6G used: 2.3G (28%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: /home size: 8.6G used: 2.3G (28%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
ID-4: swap-1 size: 1.55GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 111 Uptime: 3 days 23:22 Memory: 520.2/1645.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 3
Client: Shell (fish) inxi: 2.3.0

>12 x 1TB in RAID0
reduce that to 10TB storage and you could have had a safer RAID Z2 setup.

Absolutely Newfag here

So I am going to rent a house in a shithole country next year. Thinking of setting up own proxy server over there.

Basically I want to use that server as proxy (like p2p or something like that) and I want the traffic to be encrypted as well.
Can someone help me in this regard? I know I sound stupid

Rent a cheap vps install shadowsocks.

so /hsg/
at what number of computers should one be thinking about getting a rack

make sure TRIM is enabled and you're fine as long as you're not writing like terrabytes a week.

> root@server

Is your password "password?"

remember to consider noise level and power draw when choosing hardware, gee

These are arguably the most important points for the average user

As soon as putting them all next to each other on the floor becomes inconvenient logistically.

if you need a rack you probably need a data center

I just bought a Dell Optiplex 780 for $90.
Core 2 Duo (2.3Ghz), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 160GB hard drive.

After I get a bigger hard drive, I'll set it up as a network drive for backups, a small web server to serve a few ASP.NET applications on my LAN, and a Git server.

I learned this from my desktop.
>tfw 5 internals, 2 externals, and max noise from CPU fans
I'm used to it now.

I'm interested in setting up a file server and maybe in the future using it as a media server. Is this something that can be handled by the same system or would I need 2 separate systems to deal with it?

Is there anything wrong with using consumer-grade hardware for the file server? I have an old computer I never got around to selling and I think it would work fine for my needs, but I'm not sure. Would I need a dedicated RAID card for it, or do most motherboards generally support it well enough for server use? I'm thinking either Raid1 or Raid0, not 100%

I'm pretty new to this concept. My main plan is to do it sometime in the future, the hard drive I have in my computer for mass storage is 3/4 full and makes some weird noises every now and again that I don't like.

>Is this something that can be handled by the same system or would I need 2 separate systems to deal with it?
Yes, they can easily be handled by the same system.

>Is there anything wrong with using consumer-grade hardware for the file server?
Nothing whatsoever. The high-end purpose-built server hardware is basically just the same thing as consumer computer hardware, except that they spend a premium on reliability, as well as extended abilities to mess with the hardware while you're not physically there. Both of these are entirely optional, and consumer gear is commonly used for server purposes. Google famously used to run most of its servers on consumer gear, because just replacing cheap machines when they break was cheaper than paying through the nose for high-reliability hardware.

>I have an old computer I never got around to selling and I think it would work fine for my needs, but I'm not sure.
That's fine, but do buy yourself a new harddisk for it if you care at all about your data. If your old box has a slow SATA controller or a slow network card, this may have noticeable performance consequences; but not huge ones.

>Would I need a dedicated RAID card for it, or do most motherboards generally support it well enough for server use?
Most recent motherboards support it. But you don't even need to use that -- operating systems can do RAID entirely in software nowadays, which is more reliable than hardware RAID, and not noticeably slower on post-2005 hardware.

>I'm thinking either Raid1 or Raid0, not 100%
That's a strange position to be in, as they serve entirely different purposes. Sounds like you want to use RAID because it sounds neat without actually caring about what it will (and will not) give you.

Literally the only people that needed to post in this thread.

An AWS instance.

>home
>server

so poorfag general?

>1996+20
>Using a transfer medium that isn't point to point

It's like you want the NSA to connect to your network...

You don't want to do this unless you hate yourself.

But if you do...

The simplest way is a DNS entry for the MX record. Usually you can do 25 (often closed) or 587. A better way is a smarthost. I use EOP, but there are others, and you don't really want EOP if you're not using Exchange.

Not that user, but...

Server 2012 R2 Datacenter if you have a Technet or MSDN key, because AVMA.