ZEN FX Processors in Late Q4 2016

wccftech.com/amd-zen-q4-2016-limited-q1-2017-full-shipment/

It's the last hope after all the disappointment...bulldozer, fury, polaris

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UXT6I2--cJ4
realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go amd go you can do it fucking poo Lords

Is this a whole new socket? I want an amd mitx build and am3 doesn't go on mitx for some reason

Haswell-E for half the price here we come
Amada for good luck

>not posting the original logo

It doesn't go on mITX because it has a discrete northbridge. You can't fit all that shit on mITX without making some serious sacrifices. Zen will have a new socket.

Zen will be using socket AM4, it'll be a new chipset and it'll be shared between both the APUs and the dedicated CPUs. Can't say anything for certain at this point but it's almost guaranteed that there'll be mITX boards.

Polaris wasn't a disappointment. They promised the previous gen's high-end gaming and recent VR at a 200$ price point. They delivered it. The fact that nVidia has a comparable offer doesn't take away that Polaris wasn't by any means a disappointment.

dandy, thanks gang

AMD please don't fuck it up...

Zen will be an even bigger disappointment than Polaris

AM4 boards don't have a chipset.

Phenom II was awesome right, maybe it'll be another phenom II kind of thing

Bulldozers was shit.

Fury is a gem and shows its power now in DX12 and Vulkan.

Polaris made Nvidia shit their pants, forcing them to do 2 paper launches. It's still an EXTREMELY good choice, and I'll upgrade to it from my GTX580 giving me almost twice the performance for 250 euros. (I'll be picking the Nitro+ which shits at any version of the 1060).

When you spend 500-600 dollars/euros on a card, you don't spend it to keep it for 6 months. It's prolly a card that will remain in your system for 2-4 years. The fury X demolished both the 980 Ti and Titan in DX12 and Vulkan and shows that it was a far better choice for futureproofing,(unless you are one of those retards that don't believe in futureproofing). Also power draw is a fucking joke. If you have the money to spend for such expensive GPUs an additional 50 euros annually in your electric bill won't matter. I'm not a fanboy. I frankly don't give a shit about either company. But currently I see that AMD offers me better choices in the GPU department for the money. The 1080 costs 950 euros here. That's around 1100 dollars. I can easily get a used Fury X for around 350-400 and get 15% less performance with better futureproofing.

They won't have a northbridge but they'll have something vaguely resembling a northbridge as well as a few other necessities. It'll still be a chipset, we're not quite to the point where a mobo is just a break out board.

AMD claims an IPC improvement of 40%.
If they follow their usual behavior this means IPC performance decreases in reality by 4% and over all performance gain is achieved by extreme power draw and high stock clocks with per core performance still being on the level of a stone.

I think the nbridge is on the CPU itself now

>unless you are one of those retards that don't believe in futureproofing
But future proofing is generally speaking retarded. There will always be some new something preventing your system from keeping pace with the new ones to the point where you might as well buy mid range and stay happy with that for ~3 years.
>an additional 50 euros annually in your electric bill won't matter
Are you running furmark 24/7 while powering your card with a diesel generator?

This tbhfam, Zen is another bullshit 'module' design its IPC is gonna be lolz

Yes, you're absolutely right and I'm an idiot for typing
>something vaguely resembling a northbridge
I meant to say southbridge. Apologies user.

Intel boards have southbridge too so nothing's unusual there. Well, it's not really called a southbridge when there is no northbridge.

Intel calls it the PCH. God knows what AMD will come up with. HyperTransportHub maybe. HTH

Northbridge and Southbridge are on die.

Socket AM4 has a supplementary chipset code named Promontory that will differ based on the segment a board is targeting. Premium boards with the most expensive chipset will have added SATA, USB, dedicated NVMe, and other I/O.

Totally independent cores.
Shitpost elsewhere.

AM4 boards don't have to have a chipset. Southbridge is on-chip - secondary Southbridge (Promontory) is optional.

Test board Myrtle is mITX.

Here he is, the AMD shill pretending to be smart!

I can already foresee Zen being equal or slightly above current competing Intel chips. Like with the 480 and nvidia answering with the 1060, Intel will have their finger hovering over the big button to push out a product soon after that will do better but not by much.

>If they follow their usual behavior this means IPC performance decreases in reality
I'm trying to follow your logic here but you're not making it easy. An increase in IPC is an increase in IPC. That's completely independent of clock rates. As for power consumption, rumours have consistently pointed towards a TDP of 95 watts, which means it probably won't be too power hungry.
>Zen is another bullshit 'module' design
You very clearly have not been paying attention.
Exactly why I said "vaguely resembling", AMD has referred to it as a Fusion Controller Hub on some of their APU boards but they dropped their "fusion" branding so god only knows what they'll call them now.
>Socket AM4 has a supplementary chipset code named Promontory
Again, vaguely resembling a southbridge. A rose by any other name and all that.

That delusion lmao. Fury is a gem ayyy.

youtube.com/watch?v=UXT6I2--cJ4

If true, the OC'ed AIB 480's beat out the best OC'ed AIB 1060's in most DX11 titles, and all DX12/Vulkan titles..

Very impressive

>get called out for lying and shitposting
>keep shitposting

Look at the little 14 year old Sup Forumstard So cute.

Performance per clock will land somewhere around Ivy Bridge and Haswell, might excel in certain metrics, but wont compete on the FPU front.
I don't think they'll have much OC headroom though. Probably a nominal clock around 3ghz, maybe a few highly clocked boost states to help out in more serial workloads. Might be interesting if they could clock each core complex independently. Gate one entirely off and push clocks higher on one to make use of the chip's full TDP on 4 cores.

8 core Summit Ridge will probably fair well against Haswell-E, might under cut the mid range Broadwell-E on price and total value.

lol AMD is shit drop dead pls

Can't wait until it comes out and surprise surprise it's major piece of shit with serious constraints here and there and then the fanboys and shills start backpedalling on the hype and the promises trying to rewrite history and pretend nobody was hyping the thing at all.

They did this exact same shit with bulldozer, vishera, the 300 series that wasn't supposed to be just rebrands, the shitty fury lineup including the shitastic "overclocker's dream" and now poolaris that is just mid tier crap whereas the enthusiast market is 100% dominated by nvidia.

This is why after falling for the bulldozer meme I never cared for any of these shitty AMD promises again. It's ALWAYS the same bullshit and they never deliver on anything.

100% fake AMD is incompetent
Only ashill would believe that

>AMD

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Tell me what features I'm not enjoying with my 2500K at 4.5Ghrz, 8 Gigs of ram and GTX580.

Because for the whatever gaming I do, and pc requirments I have.. I'm TOTALLY satisfied. I'm not one of those mongoloids who begs to play AAA games on EXTREME at 4K with hairworks or whatever and DEMAND 60FPS.

Can I reach high end ranks in any of the 4 games that I'll list you with my PC?

>Hearthstone
>LoL
>WoW
>CS:GO
>Dota
>Any emulated old school Znes or Playstation 1 game

Can I render a video or a movie in a satisfying enough time? Does my PC responds instantly on everything and boots in 10-15 seconds? Is the experience smooth overall?

The answer to everything is yes. A big fucking YES. And I can say this now even after 4 years of using this PC. So tell me exactly WHY should I upgrade, and WHY should I spend fucking 950 euros for a double in my performance just on some visual clarity in 1440p which I don't even use. What are the so called features which I miss currently from a pc using a 1070 and a i7 6700K with 16Gigs of DDR4.

30 years company and it has never won against INtel or Nvidia and it will never ever win because AMD is a huge shit

>1420 Mhz RX 480 beats 2100 MHz GeForce 1060 in Witcher 3
>LEL

Everybody knows amd doesn't have enough megahertz to deal with Nvidia

AMD used to dominate Intel... Just saying. Think Pentium 4/Athlon 64 era.

Because Intel let them :)
Intel could have at any time beat them into the ground

It's competitor is Kaby Lake which is Skylake +3% at best.

cant wait for zen to flop and were still using quad cores for mainstream and dual cores for entry level for another 10 years thanks papa intel

Summit Ridge is not a mainstream desktop chip. Kaby Lake is not its competitor.

Yeah sure retard.

He's not wrong.

AMD did good.
Nvidia just happened to have an ace (and ridiculous marketing cred) up their sleeve.

piledriver was awesome fag

>disappointment
what?

Kek'd legitimately

but what's in the cores? im half expecting "40% more ipc" to be made up in needless fucking integer units and it won't even be better for single threaded tasks than an i3-2100

also is that a 4-way shared cache? l2 or just the l3? WHATS IN THE CORES? WHY IS IT A SECRET WHAT KIND OF DISAPPOINTMENT ARE YOU HIDING AMD REEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's micro atx, dingus.

This

>>get called out for lying and shitposting
>>keep shitposting
>Look at the little 14 year old Sup Forumstard So cute.
I'm the user you replied to in both posts mentioned in I'd like to point out that I'm not and I'd like to reinforce my previous statement. Promontory is southbridge-esque enough to fit the definition of a chipset as I've understood it.

by end of 2017 rx480 going to be 20% faster than 1060/980 due to amd performance upgrades and nvidias intentional downgrades.

the secret AMD is hiding is that zen cores can only be disabled in groups of 4 and they clock like shit compared to bulldozer and skylake.

zen A0 4 cores = 3.8ghz overclock on a golden chip at most. you won't break 4ghz or 5ghz OC.

That's L3 cache. I don't really like the look of that die, it looks like two 4 core processors on 1 package.

>I don't know about linux kernel patches
Pay attention, no one is hiding anything, and the Zen core architecture is detailed in full at HotChips next month.

Its a 10 wide arch, 4 wide general int core. It doesn't use the FlexFPU from the Bulldozer family. Each core has a private L2, and they share an L3.
The L3 appears to have a beefier version of Jaguar's L2 unit that maintains coherency.

Summit Ridge is enthusiast class. They're competing against intel's i7E line.
They are not mainstream desktop parts.

Stay in Sup Forums with the other children if you want to behave like one.

>14nm
>still hotter and draw more power
>low OC even the AIB

ZEN ES - 2.8/3.2(turbo) @ 95W

>WHATS IN THE CORES? WHY IS IT A SECRET WHAT KIND OF DISAPPOINTMENT ARE YOU HIDING AMD
Have you been living under a rock? There have been block diagrams floating around for months now. If you haven't been paying attention, why are you posting?

>maybe it'll be another phenom II kind of thing
>60%-70% lower floating point performance than intel offerings of the day like the i5-750/i7-920

please god no

>I'm trying to follow your logic here but you're not making it easy
It is pretty easy.
AMD has claimed such shit befor and never delivered.
Instead the IPC performance even decreased in some known cases and an overall performance gain to a prior generation was only achieved by high clocks and power draw.
>An increase in IPC is an increase in IPC. That's completely independent of clock rates
As said before claim and reallity regarding IPC are really different things for AMD.
And I am fairly sure this was easy enough to understand the first time.
>As for power consumption, rumours have consistently pointed towards a TDP of 95 watts, which means it probably won't be too power hungry.
That is why they have TBA written on it.
Also note that TDP=/=power consumption.
For comparision last gen i7s with a TDP of 90-95W resulted in an actual power draw of roughly 120W on full hard load.
The FX-8350 with its TDP of 125W is known to achive a up to 200W on full load, the monster and abomination that is the FX-9590 withs its 220W TDP achieved a real world power draw of 400W on full load in tests.
TDP=/=actual power draw
TPD=thermal power design

This is why many board manufacturers removed official 8 core and 125W TDP support from many of their mainboards unless a big top blow fan is used that supports the board.
AMD chips are known to put a typical board under a lot of stress if they are on load.
It is also a very common problem that I see in my part time work.
People buying the AMD chips because of muh 4GHz-5GHz and 8 core and go on to cheapskate on the motherboard and often just want the cheapest one that has like four phases and no heatsink.
Best is when they also want like the cheapest PSU.

You should at least have a basic understanding of ICs before you try to critique architecture.

It is two core complexes, yes, but their physical proximity or lack thereof is not indicative of anything. You are looking at the logic on the front end of line. All signaling and power delivery is done through the back end of line. They are physically connected to one another no matter where they are on the front end.

Polaris 10 is intentionally clocked significantly out of the architecture's sweetspot for reasons obvious to everyone with an IQ over 90.

Whatever hepls you sleep at night

How much cores?

>tfw i bought the 9590 literally as a collectible so that i can proudly say i own an unopened unused version of the hottest most power-hungry out of the box x86 cpu that has ever and most likely will ever be produced by either amd or intel

i bet this thing will be worth a fortune in 20 or 30 years for that fact alone

So 8 half cores again? LEL AMD DOA

kek

Who would believe that shit? 95W and 8 cores? LOL, even intel needs 140W and they're 10 years ahead of AMD

Half cores ala Bulldozer confirmed

>AMD has claimed such shit befor and never delivered.
Please, show me where they have made such claims. They claimed that the FX series would perform well in multithreaded workloads, which it did.
>Also note that TDP=/=power consumption.
You have absolutely no reading comprehension. From my post;
>rumours have consistently pointed towards a TDP of 95 watts, which means it probably won't be too power hungry.
Lets break that down
>Rumours
I specifically mentioned that they're rumours, no need to go off on your pointless tangent.
>TDP of 95 watts, which means it probably won't be too power hungry.
Since that sentence isn't clear enough for you, I'll make explicit what was just implicit; the use of the word "probably" here very clearly indicates that I am NOT implying that TDP is power consumption and you are a mucous eating oaf for thinking it I am.
>The rest of your post
Nothing other than the rantings of a feral idiot.

Might be a good investment.
Doubt anyone will ever redo this garbage.

Best part was that they originaly intended to sell this in the price range of the big Sandy/Ivy/Haswell-E consumer/semiprosumer chips.
Even better was that there actually existed idiots that bought the chips at those prices.

Zen cores are smaller than intel's latest Core I arch, and they don't have anywhere near the die area dedicated to FPU logic.

Zen absolutely will not compute with intel on FPU performance.

I have 12 cores at 105W. That's on the 22nm node. You can probably get 8 cores at pretty good clock rate with 95W on a 14nm FinFET.

How is that any different from what I said you stupid shill?

They aren't CMT "half cores" you shitposting child.

>Zen absolutely will not compute with intel on FPU performance.
>because of how much die area is dedicated to it

MAYBE THE ARCHITECTURE IS JUST THAT EFFICIENT

Why are you so mad at being wrong shill?

Compete with what? 512bit AVX?

Theres no way to get around larger data paths.
The Zen FPU has two 128bit data paths, intel uses significantly larger native 256bit.

Any vector workload, anything else that heavily uses FPU logic, like X265 encoding where Skylake is 80% faster than Excavator per clock.

Yeah i remember the initial pricing it was IMMENSELY high, one of the greediest things since the latest broadwell-e line from intel, because they were literally giving people nothing more for that money than an oc'd 8350. I don't know why people defend AMD morally after shit like this.

I wouldn't call the 1060 an "ace" - it's comparable to the 480 in dx11, but struggles in vulkan/dx12, and it can't SLI, whereas the 480 gets significant benefits from CF in vulkan/dx12.

And on top of that the 480 4GB is also $40 cheaper than the 1060 3GB.

That's not AMD being BTFO or countered by some "ace up nvidia's sleeve"; not even remotely.
The only thing nvidia has going for them is the marketing/lugenpresse/shills.

AMD's card is not only futureproofed by both vulkan/dx12 support and better CF support that the 1060 can't match, but it's also the cheaper option, AND if AMD's past driver updates are anything to go by, will increase in performance over the next year or two until it's 5-10% ahead of the 1060 even in dx11 games.

And nvidia is going to really be hurting if AMD price drops the 8GB 480 to $200 at some point in the near future - which is very likely, considering the 4GB version is literally just an 8GB model with 4GB disabled by the bios. At that point it's a $200 8GB 480 vs a $250 3GB 1060 - that's even assuming nvidia's able to ramp up production to end the supply issues with the 1060 so it's actually selling at $250 instead of the $300+ it currently is.

Nvidia's literally up shit creek if, two months from now, it's AMD's $200 vs Nvidia's $300+ for +5% performance in dx11 and -20% performance in vulkan/dx12; without any SLI options on top of that.

The only people buying the 1060 right now are those who can't see through the nvidia shilling, and/or haven't done their research.

muh modules do

>The Zen FPU has two 128bit data paths, intel uses significantly larger native 256bit.
How long have they done this? Is it every chip since x generation or only higher end ones?

Its been that way for quite a while. FPU throughput has always been intel's strong suit going back a decade now. They've made considerably large cores, with an utterly massive portion of total core logic dedicated just to FPU logic.

realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/4/

People literally return 3 AMD GPUs for every Nvidia GPU, and Nvidia has 4 times the marketshare.
Think about that a little.

>Please, show me where they have made such claims. They claimed that the FX series would perform well in multithreaded workloads, which it did.
Maybe look into the archive, there was I believe more than one thread the last few days that talked about AMD having done this.

>You have absolutely no reading comprehension. From my post;
Since you complain about reading comprehension, let us take a look back to this
>over all performance gain is achieved by extreme power draw

It was you that went from power draw to TDP and also said this
>rumours have consistently pointed towards a TDP of 95 watts, which means it probably won't be too power hungry

The one that made direct correlations of TDP to power draw was you and you alone and that is fucking wrong and thus I have to doubt your reading comprehension.
Hell sure we could leave it at that if you just used the correlation and said rumors, but you especially had to say consistently.

You can try to down play your shit with ranting on about using probably, but you tried to imply a correlation here.

>Nothing other than the rantings of a feral idiot.
Also the fact that you simply discredit known facts does not make your case look better.

Probability of shill 40%
Probability of AMDfanboy 55%
Probability of simply being retarded while still having the mental capabilities to write on Sup Forums 5%

Probability of ranting angrily 100%

There's no 3gb m8 (not yet at least). There's a bunch of 6gb aftermarket cooler options for $250 on newegg

And i'm assuing rx480 AIB cards will be around 199-230 for 4gb, and 239-269 for 8gb, which would make the nvidia cards very competitively priced.

Like the sapphire nitro, its good looking as fuck and has a backplate, I really doubt that it will be priced at 239 like the reference cards were

Why isn't AMD taking steps to improve floating point performance? Seems to be the most important metric these days. Is it the insanely lower RND budget they have that just makes it too hard?

Price drops won't happen until after the AIB's get in on the launch price gravy train.

They'll get a month or two and then AMD will cut prices in order to gain marketshare vs nvidia.

>struggles in vulkan

kek

>dx12

show me a few non AMD-optimised games where it struggles

>1060 3GB

doesn't exist

>AND if AMD's past driver updates are anything to go by, will increase in performance over the next year or two

This is a myth you stupid AMDrone. AMD GPUs have got faster because CPUs have got faster, lessening the performance penalty AMD's high overhead has. If you want to enjoy this "increased performance", then have 400 dollars ready to support Shintel every few years,

>show me a few non AMD-optimised games where it struggles

show me a non rise of the tomb raider title where it doesn't

Shall I buy an i5 now or wait for the Zen?

I'm about to give up on AMD completely after the shitty 480 I had high expectations for.

>it's 3% worse
OH WOW STOP THE FUCKING PRESS, BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY
Thanks for proving my point, retard.

Every Far Cry since Far Cry 3 has run better on AMD.

If you think the 480 was somehow a bad launch, or a bad card, you're either drinking the nvidia koolaid or completely uninformed.

Larger datapaths will suck down an ungodly amount of power, and require a whole host of IP specifically for them to keep them under control. Intel's latest chips actually have two separate clock states depending on what size vectors they're processing. Simply flipping them on to crunch larger numbers consumes a stupid amount of power that eats away at TDP. Thats why they stowed the latest AVX for consumer chips.

Everything comes down to cost, and if you're a company like AMD who has a finite budget, you spend it where it'll do the most good. They simply can't afford to try and meet intel in every metric.

keep in mind there's 2 entirely different teams working on gpu's and cpu's that are thousands of miles apart.

but anyway i regret buying my 4790k because it seems the age of quad core mainstream may be ending very soon, it definitely isn't going to be the modern future-proof equivalent of the 2500k i was hoping it would be if Zen ends up not sucking balls, we've at least got news that 6 cores will be the new standard in 2018 due to coffee lake, but that may be made even sooner if Zen kicks ass and it might be more than 6...

What's your current cpu? If it's just total garbage crap you may as well upgrade.