Tfw you do a fresh install of your o/s after years and finally get all the programs and settings setup just right

>tfw you do a fresh install of your o/s after years and finally get all the programs and settings setup just right

>tfw choco install
>tfw choco upgrade all

>tfw within a month it's shit again

>do a fresh install
>spend ~4 hours reinstalling and configuring everything
>one program you need magically won't work no matter what you do

nigga what the fuck are you doing? you probably have a ton of processes on startup like 95% of retards on windows who think it's slow. month is nothing

tfw wrote script to reinstall everything so it requires like no effort

I don't use windows, but nice try

>he needs to reinstall his OS just to get it to work properly, yet he thinks his OS isn't inherently broken

it's even more embarrassing to clog up Linux in a month

>not reinstalling your o/s every few year

unless you have autism level o/s maintenance it's worth doing

Back when I was in early highschool I used to reformat windows every 2 months or so. Thinking about it now it was pretty fucking stupid but I liked re-configuring it because highschool sucked and I needed to kill time.

I did the same.

I still do it mainly because I mess around with various linux distros for a month or so and then install windows when I want to binge play games.

This post is fucking embarrasing

how so? i can bet 98% of users out there are better off reformatting every few years. The other 2% are the autists.

It's only hard to do this if you use a retarded, fragile, timesink of an OS like any linux distro.

>after years

I literally do it every 1.5 months cause slightly OCD.

i've only ever felt a need to do this with windows. with os x and linux random shit just doesn't cruft up the operating system as readily (or they handle it a lot better than windows).

i remember growing up with windows and thinking of reinstalling fresh as like taking a shower with a deep scrub though. now, looking back, it just seems bonkers that i would feel the need to do that in the first place.

Those numbers are way off retard. This isn't the Windows XP days when you had to install 100 regcleaners and shit to keep that thing usable for more than a year.

I tried upgrading my ubuntu from 14.04 to 15 and then 16.04. Something went wrong halfway through and my filesystem was became mounted as read-only, fsck just kept getting parsing errors. I just gave up and installed it from a disk last night. Feels good man.

just use ansible

Yeah, fuck off. I see the same problems all the fucking time on normal user machines. Maybe just a bonzibuddy or two less. People are still fucking stupid as shit and have 100 applications on startup and adobe updater etc.

>do a fresh install when upgrading
>spend like a day setting everything up
>everything is so comfy and clean
>1 month later
>go to install that one program you use occasionally and forgot about when you first set everything up
>it's not compatible

You are stupid.

just play games instead retard

>slightly OCD.
OCD is a mefical condition for sick people, you are not sick, you are just a idiot.

How is reinstalling not an absolute pain in the ass? It'd take like a day just to setup my visual studio/python environments just the way I like it. I'd have like a thousand programs that would need to be configured. Don't even get me started on all the windows bloat/telemetry shit I'd have to block and reconfigure.

nobody has time for that shit.

This was me.

Takes 20 minutes. Including installing all software and configuring. Any one who has issues with this either has the skills of a 5th grader, uses an overcomplicated operating system, or has specialty concerns (like major server software, or specialty industrial equipment). No exceptions for a reinstall.

I do mine every couple of months, at most.

This is why I keep a collection of installers and configuration files on a server. Reinstall Windows, run installers (rebooting 50 trillion times to prevent conflicts... I've had problems with that in the past...), copy configs, set the few settings that I can't back up, done. Takes less than an hour.

just dd the partitions housing the fresh install into an .img file and store it on a seperate drive

write the .img directly to a drive when you want to start anew