What's your favorite DE and why?

What's your favorite DE and why?

I like MATE.
>easy to use
>easy to configure
>lightweight

Also anyone else wishing they'd build gnome 3 for android so we can use it on tablets?

Flashback

XFCE. I don't have to worry about shit breaking and my Arch install doesn't pull hundreds of megabytes of updates every week for it (like kde). Ultimate just werks. Integrates very well with lightdm and lightlocker. Modular.

KDE

>Customisation to a great extent
>Complete, full featured DE ecosystem for desktop usage
>Better file picker/uploader
>Dolphin
>KDEConnect

I love MATE too, but I've been trying out lxqt too lately and it's much better than lxde, I actually like it as much as MATE, it's also very lightweight

KDE.
>best multimonitor support
>file picker has thumbnails

I just started using Cinnamon, and I think it might have to be my new favorite...

I want to love KDE. I really do. I used to. But every theme reminds me of Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Currently using MATE. Would anyone recommend giving KDE a try? How much more ram intensive is it compared to MATE? I mean granted, I have 32GB of ram, so it's not a huge deal. But I don't want an OS that idles with 6GB ram usage like Windows 10 is prone to doing whenever I need to boot into that partition.

I like MATE too, but still use gnome 3, kde, cinnamon, and others

I can recommend KDE, yes. It's not as RAM intensive as people make it out to be, my install uses about 600 MB on a fresh boot. Likewise, my CPU does a whole lot of not very much, sitting at 1% load while idling.
That said, KDE does need GPU acceleration to run well at all, but a somewhat modern Intel integrated GPU is plenty enough for this.

here btw.

I'm on a 980ti. Would that run right? As in not lagging, or hitching? Mate is good thus far don't get me wrong, but that plasma desktop always looked so awesome.

Well, it runs beautifully on my laptop with Intel HD 3000. No lagging, hitching, tearing, or anything of the sort here.
Given how much more powerful your 980 Ti is, I'd say you're good.

Mate runs fine on my d2550 and igpu, pretty sure kde isn't so bloated that it won't run smooth on some outdated junker like gt210, yet alone 980 ti

CWm, by openbsd.

>Mate runs fine on my d2550 and igpu, pretty sure kde isn't so bloated that it won't run smooth on some outdated junker like gt210, yet alone 980 ti

Yea I know my card has the power, just didn't know if drivers for said card would come into play. I.e. would the driver properly allow gpu acceleration.

I'll give it a go on my spare desktop tonight. Spare is only running 4GB ddr3 and and AMD Sempron 3850. So if it runs great there, I'll put it on my 6700k/980ti setup

How about gnome 3 on a touch screen netbook? That sounds amazing

Xmonad, without a fucking doubt. Best computing experience possible (once you get it configured, that is!). I wince when I can't tile.

Awesome WM, because I can fully tap into my autism

How is it autistic? No, seriously: I ask because I switched to it a few weeks ago and like it.

I confess, I don't use the tiling feature.

Fvwm

Trinity

Because i have a mental illness
(i run Xfce on my main machine though)

>forgot pic

The one that comes with Windows 10

ayyy

Absolute lightest DE for Ubuntu that looks pretty and not outdated?

lxqt? Mate? Xfce?

>inb4 jwm

Tried out and I'm still too noob to use anything so basic comfortably.

How easy is it to configure openbox?
If I start off with Ubuntu mate, can I remove mate after setting up my own desktop?

I don't care much about ricing features either.

I just like the look of xfce, though I don't use it.

>how easy is it to configure
sudo nano /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml
to edit what appears in the menu; reading XML is piss easy

sudo nano ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
to edit finer details like keyboard shortcuts, or just apt-get obconf for a simpler GUI settings control

>can I remove mate
Of course. You'll get to select between openbox and mate at login while they're both installed, and if you remove either it just disappears from the options and makes the other default

Cinnamon is the best.
It's basically perfection. All the eye-candy of GNOME without the retarded design ideas.
IMO:
1. Cinnamon
2. XFCE
3. KDE
4. Mate
5. GNOME
6. Unity

KDE because it's objectively the better, and because I'm actually on a computer and not a tablet.

What makes KDE better than mate? Or lxqt

You can manage more thing without having to edit a .conf file.
Mate is cool but don't have widget, activity...
And Kwin>Compiz.

1. XFCE
2. LXDE
3. Standalone Openbox

Also you can install a theme new theme without open your browser and download a tar archive.

You can change between widget styles

is this the new desktop thread
my favorite DE is openbox btw

XFCE here, hasn't let me down before

cool pic
can u post the wallpaper please

Really been enjoying Cinnamon since version 2.6. Before that I found it a little lacking. Now it's my go-to on anything that doesn't need "lightweight" which these days, is pretty much none of my machines in active use.

Gnome.
>minimalism without the material design shit
>hot corner
>low resource use
> sexy top bar

>minimalism
>GNOME
kek

>hot corner
Common DE feature #23

>low resource use
>GNOME
more kek

>sexy top bar
Common DE feature #44

> Complete, full featured DE
> euphemism for bloat

>easy to configure

It actually is

t. KDE user

if you think MATE is easy to configure you haven't used Cinnamon.

Try having a vertical panel in cinnamon

But it is.

>Millionaires are poor because there are billionaires

that physically hurt

Join the KDE master race if you are using intel/Nvidya

I like using ldxe because my laptop is complete and utter shit

what ails you child

Mate and XFCE to the same reasons.

To be honest, fedora is nice :)

I love CDE for nostalgic purposes, but XFCE is probably my favorite overall. It has a pretty shitty settings manager, but other than that, it's extremely versatile while not being bloated and a general clusterfuck like GNOME or KDE. Pic related is XFCE.

What's your favourite DE and why?
>Fedora

Autism

used to be a Gnome 2/MATE man all the way

but I switched to XFCE years back, looked back once, and then went back to XFCE again
they're pretty damned similar, it's just little things I got used to

>MATE
does it ship with zeitgeist?
If not I'll give it a try.

Zeitgeist

Never heard of it

Probably depends on your Linux distribution.
Heard zeitgeist only on Ubuntu.

it's kinda tightly integrated into ubuntu unity. Logs everything you do on your machine (which files accessed, chats, etc.) and makes that available between apps.
Trying to remove it wrecks your desktop. Nautilus gets deinstalled. You can't access the dashboard anymore. Some people experience problems with login or even startup of their systems.
If I wanted a botnet I'd stayed with windows.

Xfce. It just werks™

KDE used to be one of the best years ago before they added a bunch of maymay features.

2010 laptop. everything works perfectly.

>Literally nothing wrong with fedora
prove me wrong

>DE
>Fedora

Do I have to say it?

>2010 laptop
That's an odd name for a DE, and it's a Windows 7 lookalike? Why would anybody want that?

Oh fuck that sounds pretty shitty.

Can I search for it in my packages? I'm using lubuntu

Xmonad is bloated haskel shit.

You need to install hundreds if megabytes of libraries for a fucking tiling wn.

Window Maker

Spectrwm is da best

LXDE

try ps -ef | grep zeit
if anything shows up it's running

Bunch of idiots who love bloatware.

KDE is 100% bloat, I'd rather run windows or OS X.

Development environments are shit.
Use a window manager, interact directly with X, cut down on the shit, get to know Lua and your system.

Use a fucking window manager. TWM is more impressive than any of this garbage.

just installed Ubuntu KDE 16.04 over MATE that I had before. Seems a bit heavier on RAM than MATE was but a lot more "fleshed out". Way more options. Really love the plasma look.

7/10 guaranteed reply bait.

Report and move along

ty.

And if I use Fedora I won't have this at all?

enjoy unity. Cuck.

I don't know.
I think it's more a gnome and unity thing.

RIP

don't say it, let him toil in stupidity

I've used pantheon, KDE, mate and unity and gnome 3 so far. I like unity best with mate a close second. Window management in mate is nicer, but configuring your system and customising it is much comfier on mate.

>unity
>best
kill yourself before your CPU dies

Mate (Gnome 2 back then) was the first DE ever and after years of distro hopping it's the best for me.

awesomeWM>anyWM>TWM>xfce>kde>gnome>anyDE

Agreed. Mate is the easiest to use for me, but unity isn't bad either.

XFCE. Perfect balance between eyecandy, usability, and efficiency.

>unity isn't bad
I guess Sup Forums devolves into morons after 2am pacific

usability is code for inability to configure

Looks like it, because we get your kind posting here.

Not DE but I quite like Openbox + tint2 combo. Not too difficult to setup and once you've set it up, it's a delight to use. I'm partly using it in order to conserve my system resources, since I have an old piece of shit computer. On Windows I can't even watch 1080p x264 videos, damn.

>constantly spending 20-50% cpu usage on a DE.
>i'm the moron
good night.

can anyone who runs MATE run the following in their terminal and tell us the output?

ps -ef | grep zeit

dat GUI lifestyle

>bloat

euphemism for I have no idea of what I'm talking about but I hate it anyway because with this DE I can't pretend I'm a hackerzlz in desktop threads anymore and I'm going to repeat a meme for 10 years while watching anime for children.

Which CPU and which version of Unity? Have you given feedback after noticing?

You must be fucking kidding me
KDE with Nvidia is absolute tearing garbage shit

Just use OSX mavericks or lion instead of wasting your time to copy it

>mfw d2550
>mfw 6-8% cpu usage on unity
>mfw 1-3% on mate
>mfw you're a lying cunt

the window manager itself isn't autistic. It's actually really nice because it's fully customizable. The autism depends on how you rice it.

my favourtie de is openbox because it is the most functional and easy to use oob de that there is