Software Engineer
No College Degree
No Certifications
No Debt
Poor Worthless Parents

What have you guys been doing? Why aren't you making 6-figs yet?

If you make more than 120k tell me what you do and what you think was the most important for your success.

Pic related. My direct deposit every 2 weeks (after taxes and medical and shit).

Other urls found in this thread:

cordova.apache.org/plugins/?q=file
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What kind of software do you have in your portfolio and how well equipped is your resume?

It's kinda hard to get your foot in the industry when everyone autofilters you for not having a DEGREE and 5 years experience for an ENTRY LEVEL job.

Software Engineer
No college degree
No certs
No debt
Making $2500 before taxes each two weeks
Rich as fuck parents

I'm a little behind, but getting there. I've spent the last 6 years high or withdrawing from opiate use, no regrets.

System Analyst
College Degree
No Certifications
No Debt
Wealthy laid back parents

It's not like I like being a NEET, I just don't have the drive to do anything

I did some odd jobs for 8 months on freelancer.com before it was completely lost to india. Worked minimal wage for a web shop on craigslist. Worked nights and weekends for 2 years and had enough experience to talk mad shit in an interview. I've never worked anywhere that didn't has some outrageous requirements. Developers don't write those anyway, secretaries copy-paste them from the internet.

Congrats brothers.

I get around 160k in total compensation per year. I just started this month, straight out of college. All these people saying college is a meme are memeing you.

>36
>systems engineer aka "devops", I automate shit
>Work for one of those big enterprise software companies
>I'll clear $130k this year
>Two years ago I only made $65k
>I live in the Midwest where it's cheap as fuck and mostly work remote.

>>I'll clear $130k this year
>>Two years ago I only made $65k
Same company or did you have to hop to get that raise?

Sorry I didn't answer the questions. Most important to my success, continually learning new stuff and being aware of the gaps in the market. In other words, I figured out what skills companies were struggling to find and willing to pay top dollar for.

Just like agile methodologies, apply the practice of continuous improvement to yourself. Always be improving. Refine your resume, your skills, your interview techniques, your personality.

Above all else you need experience. Get a job, work your ass off and learn all you can to become the person you need to be for the next job you want.

I had to hop. You always have to hop. I kept trying to get my employer to pay me market rates, they wouldn't do it and led me along for years. Luckily I developed a lot of clout in this company over the years and was really able to innovate and bring myself into the top of the talent pool. To them I was just another cog, though, and no way were going to give me any kind of big raise.

Information Security (Started 2013)
Bachelors in IT (grad 2015)
No Certs (take Security+ exam in August)
~30k debt (7k student loans, 20k car, 3k credit card)
One mother quickly burning away a ~1mil insurance policy from dead father (probably 300k-ish worth of assets remaining). she doesn't work

I'm making 52k a year.
Looking for a new job now. Preliminary research indicates I can probably land a 70-80k gig.
Looking at cheaper metro areas.

Can I ask you how you guys have coped with the loss of your father? Is your mother bad with money or was $1 million just not enough?

I was recently diagnosed with an incurable cancer and I have a stay at home mom wife and a 4 year old. I have maybe 15 years left if I'm pretty lucky and they'll be left with about $1 million when I'm gone.

I agree with this. Never stop learning. If you enjoy what you do that shouldn't be a problem. And that first step to the next level is the hardest. If you have no professional experience you should be taking any company that will hire you for any amount. That entry on your resume will be the ticket to the first 40-60k position if you're not already there.

Same here man. You think if you work hard enough for one company they'l let you share the profits you create. But unless you have shares in the company they probably won't bring you in. Use your current position to train yourself and jump to the next higher paying position.

So you went from $65k to $130k in one go? That's pretty impressive; guessing you didn't reveal your previous salary. How long did you hang around the other company and learn before you left?

No degree
Graduated from a tech bootcamp, but I've been programming since 13
No debt
my parents aren't rich, we grew up poor and that is the most important part of my success thus far.

My mother is borderline bipolar. The money was plenty, but I think she spent a lot as a coping mechanism as well. Bottom line, if they aren't good with money, better to set up money over time than lump sum.

As far as me coping, I did okay. I was I think about 20 when he passed. I regret that I was kind of distant from him. My younger brother was about 10, and he took it hard. He's pretty fragile emotionally these days and mother isn't helping much being out of the house almost 24/7 with her motorcycle riders.

Electrical Contractor (own business)
Apprenticeship
Contractors License
No Debt
Self-funded retired parents

Earn between $4k and $15k per week depending on how hard I want to work. Some weeks I'll just do a switchboard upgrade (around $3k for ~4hours work) and that will be it for the week.

Also, currently a fullstack web dev.
My background is mainly C++, so I'm working on an iOS project in my spare time... Wish me luck bois

>31
>System Engineer
>Liberal arts degree
>No certs
>No debt
>Retired parents
>90K

Excellent work/life balance so unless I found a gig well into the 120s I'm not giving up what I've got.

Like others have echoed never stop doing, learning, and plan on making mistakes. Also, work on the people skills--there are a million autists and introverts in tech. Extroversion in tech opens tons of doors.

Can you share some insights of success? When did you start your own business and what were you doing before then?

Have you considered using cordova instead? If you're handy with javascript it pays really well. And with it and cordova you can make apps that build to all platforms. For most apps you can't see any difference in performance.

>26 yr old
>C, PLSQL dev in finance
>22 K
> not pajeet.

lol so jelly of all of you.

What country?

Im worth 3billion check my portfolio

I stared my apprenticeship when I was 17 and was finished by 21. I worked as an electrician for other electrical companies until I was 29, and decided I was sick of making others rich. The average electrician here (in Australia) earns around $31/hr, but the company they work for will easily charge over $100/hr.

Basically last 5 years I've been working for myself. The first year was tough, as I was a relative unknown and didn't pick up a whole lot of work. I started out cheap charging $60/hr +parts(+30%), and made sure I went the extra mile when doing jobs so that I got referrals. Word of mouth and reputation is what helped me get to this point, where I now get to choose what work I want to do and how much I charge. The second year I worked 7 days a week, weekend work tends to impress clients, as weekends are seen as days off. Being known as a hard worker who does right by the customer is the most important thing.

The last two years I just do whatever I want. If I don't want to do the work I tell them I have a massive backlog of jobs and won't be able to do it until Christmas. If they're happy to wait, that's fine, but normally they'll go with someone else.

>PLSQL
>22K
I'm sorry, user.

NEET
MSc CS
rich parents tho, so no debt

>sandbagging

Be careful of that, duder. Friend of mine was in a similar position and he ran out of work because his reputation became unavailable-the-guy.

It sounds thrilling to be able to develop for all platforms in one language / ecosystem, but the thought of doing javascript on my own time kills me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those elitist assholes who assumes that anything JS related is for the 'web developers', but after 9 hours of looking at a codebase full of 2010 spaghetti jquery... I need some convincing to write my mobile apps in html and js.
But I'm doing some research on the framework now, thanks bro. I'm really liking the underlying MVC structure in swift but I will def be giving this a thought

>ITT everyone making above average income

>no job
>html, css, js noob

Software Engineer
Bachelor Degree
No Certs
10k Student Loan Debt
Middle Class Parents
100k/yr.

I took this job less than a year ago. Went from 67k to 100k, moved to a nicer state.

I'm happy.

The soft skills are what people really need to focus on. You can be a shit-tier developer but lead the team because you are good at communicating with the laymen. That's how I got where I am.

> 28
> Software Developer
> No Degree
> No Certs
> 100k

It's a legit meritocracy baby. Welcome to tech.

One more thing.. I'm assuming the html / js / css gets transpiled to the respective language for each platform?
If so, this seems more like a way to transition a web app to a mobile environment without too much hassle

Soft skills won't get you anywhere at any company that actually gives a crap about employee quality. People make 200k right out of college these days, 100k at 28 is nothing.

>ran out of work
That's incredibly difficult with the Australian economy the way it is and with the severe shortage of electricians nationwide. But I'm not stressing too hard if that happens. I've just recently bought my 11th investment property and about to renovate it (adding another 2 bedrooms and a bathroom). They pay for themselves (mortgage, insurance, and rates), and at the end of the week they still give me around $1.2k play money.

Stay away from jQuery. I don't know how it became so popular but real js developers (yah there are real ones) cringe when they hear it.

Look at Typescript. I've been using it for personal projects and my companies apps. It's ES2015 with real types. Backed/Supported by both Google and Microsoft and all new frameworks use it. It could be the turning point for you.

(Also take a look at Ionic 2. It packages a handy suite of tools and gives you a starting place for cordova apps with Angular2 and Typescript included)

argie.

It's not that bad, actually like C and PLSQL. I'm polishing my webev skills to hopefully do some freelancing. We'll see.

Systems engineer.

Getting really deep into GNU/Linux, knowing how the hotdogs are made, and being so socially retarded that I had no choice but to continue with my hobby rather than get distracted by normals.

>Anti jq
>search for Typescript
>Microsoft comes up

I'll need a real good explanation here.

I'm 24 and this is my last year of college. I'm a Software Dev. major and I'm wondering how the southeast is for programming jobs. Are the really good jobs not located in the SE? My biggest fear is that I'm not gonna get hired because of my lack of diversities in programming languages and I don't interview well. Also black if that matters.

Just don't wanna disappoint family by spending 7 years in college and not having a job to show for it at the end. Big fear of mine.

Are there any advantages to this when compared to developing native mobile apps?

Are there any firmware developers here? If yes:

1) do you like your job/would you recommend it?
2) how did you get into the industry?
3) what qualifications and skills should someone who just graduated college have to get an entry level position?

If you had to spend 7 years for college you're already a lost cause.

You might as well apply for neetbux right now.

Im at just 80k total compensation, one year out of school
Not sure its worth chasing salary desu, if i can get that in the midwest i dont imagine ill be better off in the bay area or some shit

He might have started late, or switched majors a lot, or did the whole thing as a part time student.

It is not. Cordova (also check out Electron) creates a self contained http server and wraps your application in a browser (Webkit). So you are writing a web app essentially.

What it does add is a easily extensible layer between javascript and native code. So you can download native plugins to tap into things like the accelerometer or the phones camera easily.

cordova.apache.org/plugins/?q=file

Again. It's not as fast as native. But 1) With the right plugins it has the features of native 2) Most apps don't need native performance

See above. Advantages: One language that can be used for web/mobile/desktop (see Electron). Disadvantages: Doesn't have native performance- but like I said, you probably don't need it

Depending on how far South East you meant, Atlanta, Raleigh. Durham and Charlotte are good places for Tech.

That was a reality check I wasn't prepared for. So are my chances of finding a decent job (60-65k) completely shot? Because of my overstay of college?

Haha man I know. But trust me. As much as Microshit fucks up, they did a REALLY good job with Typescript

> On my Mac
> Don't turn this into an anti Mac thread

So basically 3 companies in the world. Soft skills are stronk

If you want to live an extravagant lifestyle you will have less money left over in the Bay Area than the Midwest. If you life a frugal lifestyle, the Bay will be better. Consider the Seattle and Austin areas. The salaries there are almost as high as the Bay and the housing is cheaper, and there is no state income tax.

Bump

Hey I'm black too bro, it really doesn't matter in tech as long as you make the right connections. I've had some racist co-workers, but the thing people value most is intelligence and work ethic. Just work your ass off and be good, get that paycheck.
I'd look for meetups in your area before you even get out of college. Get a github up asap and start an interesting project!

>I feel like the thing that impressed people the most during interviews was the fact that I built cool shit, and cared about said shit

You gon' make it

Lol exactly I was part time for a few years cause my mom was sick and I needed to pay bills to keep a roof over our heads. It was shitty, but I did it for my family.

Wonderful! I live about 30 mins away from Atlanta and I went to a tour at the Atlanta Tech Village which was pretty cool with free beer.

ignore the autist. you're starting late, but once you get that first job on your resume your foot is in the door. it's up to you to decide what you want to do. best thing to do is set a goal and work for it

I'm EE not CS
not sure if there's that much lucrative hardware stuff in those areas...

Check out jobs in the NW. Being black is immediate interview tier. If you're female and black you're already hired.

My nigga. I have a github already with some pretty cool stuff up there (space invaders clone, Tic Tac Toe, ROT-13 algorithm, etc.) I would post it but I'm highly defensive about putting my personal work on Sup Forums. Thanks for the kind words man.

>23 yo
>Web dev in php
>9.5k
>IT high-school tier degree

Just started though, I have hopes I can reach 20k before I hit 30 without a collegue degree, in a 3rd world country obviously, in the US I would be earning 25k at least probably.

First and foremost i'm white. So I don't know what kind of advantage that has given me (but lets face it- probably). But as I white person I agree with this. Black or white, you have to work hard. If you enjoy it, then you know you made the right decision. Don't think you've failed if you're not making 60k right away if it's not available. Be ok with spending the first 1-2 years getting your foot in the door for any job at any pay available. That resume slot is worth A LOT.

>24
>making ~39k a year in a non Sup Forums field
>field requires degree but progress is slow due to being run entirely by boomers
>not well paid

>tfw you will probably never make more than 120k a year

I just want to own property in a city...But that seems like too steep a dream these days.

Yeah, one of my strengths is Socket I/O so I was hoping to get with T-Mobile in Bellvue, WA as a network engineer. I'd love to live in an area where it rains all the time, much better than satans ballsack hot GA.

Engineering school
Bleed my parents with ~$400 for living expences and school, monthly
No debt
No other income

If I plan on building something with a simple interface, shouldn't I be more worried about how I handle getting information from the back-end to the client, and load balancing across servers?

Why would you want to own property in a city? Cities are shit tier. I would understand temporarily renting for a job, but owning long term is not ideal.

Friend of mine works there and really enjoys it. Really nice area, too. The summers in Seattle are beautiful but the rest of the year can be gloomy. If you like alcohol you're coming to the right place. Also legal pot.

Slave to warehouse job
No college
No certs
No debt
Poor as fuck parents
I get paid weekly and right now make anywhere from $730-$1000 after taxes deducted weekly. To hit the higher end range I have to work 50+ hours which aint worth it in my opinion.

How do I make more moneys, Sup Forums. I want to go back to school but it seems like I'd rack up a huge ass debt and if I were even able to find a job in my field, my salary increase would only be around a $10k increase.

Trust me my man, I've busted my ass for the last 4 years and my GPA shows that. I truly enjoy programming simply because it's like it's own art form (minus programming conventions). I'm currently working on connect four with networking for my summer project and I would be totally happy with 60k for my first job. I was raised on a salary of 31k a year. (Dad died and mom is immigrant.)

Real estate prices are beginning to skyrocket in my city. It's a sound investment, and I like living in the city. If I can own a house in my city I can probably sell it for like 50x the price when I'm real old. My grandpa bought like 3 houses in the CA bay area in the 70s for pennies, and now all of those properties are worth millions. He's been renting them out the entire time too. He's well off even though he never went to college, and has been a tradesman all his life.

Stop giving him false hope. He's probably a Trump supporter

>29
>uni dropout (2nd year of engineering... [no, not CE, just engineering. I had to decide later which career to take])
>no certs
>20k debt (that I won't pay)
>poor worthless parents

>NEET, after a grave illness

what in the fucking hell do I have to do to get a fucking job? I made a website and a library that I published in github. I was called to some 5 job interviews after sending some 100 CVs (10 of those were sent to a single website that lists programming jobs, all of the interviews were from that site), and no one hired me. I feel VERY demotivated...

should I kill myself? should I try doing my own shit by myself, and telling myself to just keep going? FML.

>25
>sysadmin
>Bachelors in IT
>Sec+, A+, TS/SCIF
>45k

Fucking kill me already, jesus christ.

>23
>B.S. CS Degree
>Graduated in 2014
>Been a depressed NEET ever since
>Barely study or expand my portfolio since graduating, was a shit programmer during college as well
>Probably can't even do fizz buzz anymore
>$30k debt and never had a real job
>Apply to about 2-4 programming jobs every 3 months, get an interview and drop tons of spaghetti because I know I'm a fraud, never get any calls back, get discouraged, continue the cycle.
>Want to move to a big city but have no skills or money
>Parents are upper middle, supporting my NEET lifestyle letting me do whatever I want

Kill me.

I'm going to an annual STEM conference in 10 days. I have interviews scheduled for 7-8 roles and I only applied to 2 of them. The lowest offer would some (cheap and depopulated) city east of the Mississippi at $110,000. I wouldn't take it since I hate driving and don't want to live in a single-family detached neighborhood. Botnet Silicon Valley companies have flown me to California because friends said I might be a fit.

I'd type more but this will 404 and if I'm going to make the effort then something like Pastebin would be better so I can bookmark it. I didn't take a university math or science course until I was 23 and working on Wall Street. Send a few questions to my fake address:

greg.k.brian {at} gmail

I'm black and I will vote for donald cuz' I want to see america burned by it's own bigotry

will be pretty funny desu

Not if it's stopping you from writing the app. If your goal is to write the app, you can always refactor when you get more traffic.

What you're talking about is the architecture of the project. And just a wild guess but if you're more interested in the architecture of things than writing the app itself then you might want to focus on that. Find a partner who will write the app. Decide an an http restful api you agree on and split the work between yourselves. You focus on the server, they focus on the client.

>I get paid weekly and right now make anywhere from $730-$1000 after taxes deducted weekly. To hit the higher end range I have to work 50+ hours which aint worth it in my opinion.

How is that bad again?

Who InfoSec here?

Also, post tech job resources

Dice.com
/r/netsec hiring thread (worth looking for other positions too)

How did you do in the actual interviews?

>go get yelled at for being black

Follow this steps:

1. Make some dumb "innovative" shitty game, you can even use GameMaker, but make it well, not a buggy piece of shit.

2. Publish it in greenlight or some bullshit of the sort

3. Sell 20k copies for $10 dollars each, thats 200k

4. Repeat process until you made at least a million

Success, you are a millionaire with very little effort.

well, I suppose it wasn't too bad... except for one that actually tested my knowledge in python/backend dev. I failed that HARD, because:
-I was kinda nervous, and
- I don't know shit about webdev... something I discovered because of that test
the other job offers required no experience.

It's not. I'm never broke anymore and I can afford to live alone and support myself, which is nice. But I'd like to progress and make more money doing something I actually like doing.

Is it true that you're guaranteed a job if you walk in wearing a dress and a rainbow bracelet?

If you're applying to GitHub, yes.

>Being concerned by the insults hurled by shrieking virgins and NEETs

How did people like Mark Zuckerberg make such a grand fortune as such a young age?

What separates him from us, Sup Forums?

ivy league rich kid attended harvard
he would have been set for life regardless if facebook succeeded or not

he had an idea for something people wanted and followed through with the work to make it real.

got hired out of secondary due to some significant github projects and national team for math olympiad

just turned 20 y/o making ca$h with ba$h

>he had an idea

No, he stole his idea like a true kike.

75k/yr
Because I haven't asked a raise yet. I'll easy be six figures by 30 so I really don't care

ayyyeee
my nigga

zuck a chill dude low key, strong work ethic

>Software Engineer
>No College Degree
How?