/wut?/ Windows Update Thread

That's right ladies and Sup Forumsents! It's the Windows Update Thread! Here to answer all your windows transition questions so the rest of Sup Forums doesn't have to!

Windows 10 free “upgrades” are not getting extended. Once again, you DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP 10 on your computer to keep the LICENSE. If you upgrade once the license never expires. If you are not sure if you want to upgrade, then get the damn license and go back to windows 7 or 8. You people post every 2 days asking if you should switch and this is your fucking answer.

Other questions answered:

>How do I get a free W10 license for the future but keep using 7/8 now?
>How do I stop the Windows 10 update from happening?
>How do I install W10 if it keeps messing up when I try?
>Can I go back to 7/8 if I’ve upgraded?
>How do I downgrade if my computer came with W10?
>How do I get Windows 7 to update after a clean install?
>How would I reinstall W10 in the future?
>Should I switch to Linux?

Full Expanded Post: pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Official Windows Install discs:
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

>Do you like windows 10?

No. Fuck the store. Fuck the layout. Fuck the botnet. Also fuck micrsoft for shoving it down our throats all year like they believe only cortana's shiny blue ass could save our souls from eternal torment in the fiery pits of hell.

>So why would I ever want it?

As the last separate version of windows, more and more programs will begin to require it or its (goddamn) app store, including games that require DX12 and the Xbone crossovers. Infection rates tend to be a lot lower in newer OSes, and that’s even before Windows 7 stops receiving security updates in 2020 (like that shit that went down with XP a while back), so you might want to keep your options open.

Other urls found in this thread:

majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cebFWOlx848&feature=youtu.be&t=468
lmgtfy.com/?q=windows 10 + last version + youre a retard
thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/
:[email protected]/dangerale/share.php?uh=ZGFuZ2VyYWxl&s=ODi0OTOWQzpuj1r64aPhrYW6g3oWk546
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-update-isnt-working/
howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>So how do I get a license without upgrading?

You upgrade. But then you just undo it. That’s the loophole: you don't have to KEEP W10 on your computer. If you install it once, say for 5 minutes, the microsoft servers note your PC’s hardware as eligible for Windows 10 going forward, so you have a permanent "Digital Entitlement" on that computer, even if you go back to your old windows immediately.

There's 4 ways to do this…

1) The easiest method is to just upgrade to W10, then downgrade using the “Go Back” button in settings (available for 30 days).

2) If you’re specifically worried about windows messing up the install, you can make a system backup image instead with Macrium Reflect or similar, do the upgrade, then use a recovery disk to restore the image.

3) Or upgrade then clean install your old OS

4) Install W10 to a blank drive or partition then activate with your 7/8 key. Or backup/restore like option #2. Good choice for linux users who have a 7/8 key they want upgraded.

If you choose #2, make a recovery disk & a backup of your system drive. Otherwise there’s no prep, just accept the W10 upgrade. You could also download the W10 install disk if you’re having trouble with windows updater. Just click "Download tool now" to make a DVD or USB, then run it within windows. Skip downloading updates. Once W10 is installed, make sure it’s activated itself online by clicking Start> Settings> Update & Security> Activation. Make sure it says “Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

With W10 activated it’s time to restore your old OS. For option #1 use the 30 day "Go Back" setting in W10 to recover your old copy of windows (stored in C:\Windows.old). To find it, click Start> Settings> Update & Security> Recovery, then hit the “Get started” button under Go back to Windows 7(or 8.1). For options 2-4 either restore your backup or reinstall your old OS. Mission accomplished.

Frequently Asked Questions:

>Digital Entitlement? What is this BS? Where's my damn key?

"KEYS? Where we're going we don't need KEYS." Most copies of W10 don’t have keys at all. A "digital entitlement" means Windows 10 is paired to your PC automatically by a digital fingerprint of its hardware. So whenever you reinstall W10 after that, even if it’s a clean install, windows will reactivate itself online by validating that fingerprint automatically.

You should probably keep a copy of the key you got with your ORIGINAL windows 7/8.1 install (usually stuck to your system case anyway), because major hardware changes can sometimes disrupt the automatic activation. In that case you would call the microsoft activation hotline and explain the situation to them. They usually correct things pretty easily, and the old key can often help with the process, which hasn't changed much since Windows 7. You might also need the old key if you decide to reinstall your original windows later on and you don't have any backups or recovery media with it pre-activated.

>If I upgrade do I lose my windows 7/8.1 license?

No, you can go back and forth as much as you want, as long as you have your old installer and key (or a backup/recovery). You're not officially allowed to have both versions of windows installed at the same time, like a dual boot or VM. The downgrade rights last until 2020 for windows 7 and 2023 for windows 8, when official support ends for the OSes.

>W10 won’t install. Something always goes wrong. How do I make it work?

Try running the install disk (above) instead.

>How do clean reinstalls work in windows 10?

All you need is that free install disk from microsoft’s site. No keys, no HP/Dell recovery partitions taking up disk space. Just run and done. No activation required (if asked for a key hit skip and it will activate automatically over the internet).

>How do I downgrade to windows 7/8.1 if my computer came with 10?

Windows 7/8.1 are available as free downgrades IF you have W10 PRO, otherwise you’re supposed to buy a copy. You’d also need to check that your core hardware has drivers for that version of windows. It's a bit complicated but here's instructions:

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

>I'm staying on windows 7/8. How do I make the update notifications go away?

The easiest way is to use GWX Control Panel:
majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

If you would rather block the update manually through windows instead, you can download and install update 3065987 on Windows 7, or 3065988 on Windows 8. Then save-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

-to a text document on your desktop named DisableOSUpgrade.reg and run it as administrator.

>I’ve reinstalled Windows 7 recently and I can’t get it to update.

When microsoft put out a new Window 7 update client, they fucked over any copy of 7 that doesn’t have it yet, including clean installs. To fix this, manually download and install updates 3102810 and 3138612 to get the ball rolling:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

>Should I just start using Linux instead?

Maybe! There’s a lot to learn at first, but it can be a very rewarding experience. Linux has a knack for running very smoothly until some weird problem comes up, then it’s off to the forums. Luckily you don’t have to dive in all at once. Try running Ubuntu in Virtualbox, and if you’re still interested you can step it up to a dual boot. Backing up with Macrium Reflect is a good way to minimize risk. And after installing linux, I recommend the PPA ‘Timeshift’ as an equivalent to Windows Restore, for undoing small mistakes. Good luck!

install gentoo

You don't even get paid to type all this, do you rakesh?

Hell no. You think microsoft goes around paying people to go back to 7?

the licensing is restrictive for the Windows OS. I use GNU because the licensing is much better on GNU than Windows, plus have fun with your ads and botnet.

>plus have fun with your ads and botnet.
youtube.com/watch?v=cebFWOlx848&feature=youtu.be&t=468

Did they fix the botnet yet?

Yup it's working better than ever!

>ads and botnet are illusion
>Yup, the botnet is fixed

Can I upgrade to windows 10 with a pirated windows 7?

Can I downgrade to a pirated windows 7 once I install windows 10?

They've made programs to tone it down. I honestly don't know how anyone expects the average person to install a new OS and learn to run linux when it's not optimized to be automatic on the level windows or mac is. I mean most people don't know shit, and unless we can get it to the point where there's a distro at least as straightforward as android, it's just a matter of time before there is no user friendly OS without 'botnet' built in. Desktop software producers just took a while to realize they could get away with the same shit mobile does. And you can't say "herp derp, use windows 7 forever!" Because eventually that will be like trying to use windows 95 for everything

you can upgrade, but there is chance that windows wont be activated. (you can use only default settings, no personalization)

A lot of people claim that win7 activated with the most recent version of daz loader will upgrade successfully. I don't know if the license would stick if you reinstalled later, or which other activators would work. If you're going back to 7 just pirate it the way you did the first time, it won't interfere.

>I don't know if the license would stick if you reinstalled later.

It does.

My GF laptop that had w7 activated with KMS upgraded to w10 just fine.

>M$ paying people to shill Win7

Not a smart one, are you Burch?

Mine did.
Windows 10 Pro is a bag of dicks though. Enterprise N is where it's at.

What's the difference?

Just use the fucking Education version.
It's da best.(Even though W10 is shit, it might be necessary for some app development etc.)

For starters, you can actually turn off the telemetry. N has no windows media player, and it being the Enterprise version means that it gives a lot more control over settings.
Plus a fresh install is like 10gb.

thanks for this great post it answered all of my questions and now im ready to upgrade to the best operator system of all time

Windows 11 will be better. Just wait like smart men, like me.

>he doesnt know that windows 10 is the final windows version

How can you get the enterprise edition without being approved though? Even Ultimate upgrades to Pro.

Ok, the first time I laughed today. Good job user.

lmgtfy.com/?q=windows 10 + last version + youre a retard

Meh. If I happened to have an Enterprise license I might use it, but it's not like it matters very much. Plenty of free tools give you more telemetry control than enterprise does. And win10 installs are pretty small in general.

>youre
>no relevant hits
Okay.

im upgrading all my pc's to win 10 pro

win10 will have built it ubuntu so there's no reason to use linux anymore

Uh, the free offer ended, didn't it?

Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer.

;^)
Fair enough. I do use OSU and Antibeacon on the side too.

Thanks Scott Addams.

Upgrading is free until July 29, 2016.

Anyone else having this problem with W10 updates? Everytime I set my WIFI network to unmetered, windows update starts using up bandwidth like crazy, even when there's literally no updates for it to download. I have to manually download the updates through the catalog.

That's probably from Windows Update Sharing. W10 uses a peer-to-peer network for updates, which means you are updating other peoples computers too. You can disable it by going to settings> Update & Security> Advanced Options> Choose how updates are delivered> Updates from more than one place. If you set it to 'PCs on local network' then your computers will just share their updates locally and save you internet bandwidth. Or just turn it off.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker helps you find a lot of those little settings without having to thumb through every corner of windows-

thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10

Yeah I did that, turned it off. No effect.

If I make a email and sign up for the free upgrade could I use it on a future PC build?

is an upgrade to 10 and revert back going to be "clean" or is it bloated as fuck? is a clean install a must-do?

Reminder to sage and report this thread.

I've been told that if I upgrade from a transferable (retail) Windows 7 license, the Windows 10 license is also transferable. But actually transferring it looks like a total fucking pain in the dick.

groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

>W7 product key doesn't work
>need to call support every time

Lame.

The only way that would really work is if you had an old PC that you'd already upgraded to 10 before the cutoff that you were willing to transfer the license away from, and even then it would be a long shot. You would basically call up the activation hotline and tell them you were installing a new motherboard in an old PC. In that case having an account paired to the old license would probably help, but it would still be a longshot.

Also, the internet is full of people saying it's not transferable at all.

Everything from your old OS is stored in a folder called windows old for 30 days after you upgrade. Nothing in that folder should be changed, in fact any changes to files or settings you make while in 10 will be lost when you revert. However sometimes things can go wrong so if your concerned then making a backup with macrium reflect is a great idea and actually doesn't take very long most of the time.

Daily reminder that Windows 10 LTSB (Enterprise) is the best version of Windows without all the extra apps/store bullshit and allows you to defer future updates.

No, that's explained in the pastebin above. You can transfer the windows 7 license, not the 10. The copy of 10 is an oem license, but if you uninstall 10 you can still transfer your 7 retail to another computer.

In that case, it's really shitty that so many people were told the transfer rights would be retained. Pic related. I wonder how many people upgraded to Windows 10 because they thought this was true.

And how do I get it for free?

Remember, november 1st is when you can no longer buy preinstalled windows 7 or 8.1 from OEMs, it will be windows 10 only from then on out.

Fuck off Micro$hill, we don't want your subscription botnet garbage.

You do retain the transfer rights. To the retail copy of 7 that you bought. You just don't get an additional retail copy of 10 thrown in. The free upgrade thing was always considered more of a free bonus than a right. You still have what you paid for, and if you decide you're willing to go back to 7, you can still move your retail 7 to another computer at any point. At least that's how they're arguing it now. They said a lot of ambiguous things back in the beginning before they had their PR together.

BIT-DOT-LY/2ahYYNd

>2ahYYNd
invalid

Cant be bothered teebeeaych

>see picture

August 28th is going to be an important day. If you upgraded on July 28th you would have till the 28th of august to downgrade or you're stuck with windows 10. Once the 29th of august comes, you're stuck with windows 10 if you didn't revert the upgrade.

Can I install W10 on a separate HDD as a fresh install, get the license activated and just keep booting to W7?

I'm not dumb, user. The biy dot ly link return a 301 moved

Lol..? Just keep 7. It's simple as that.

Try this-
> :[email protected]/dangerale/share.php?uh=ZGFuZ2VyYWxl&s=ODi0OTOWQzpuj1r64aPhrYW6g3oWk546

FUD. I'll give forbes this, if you want the worst case scenario, they're your guys. And sometimes that's helpful. But what they're talking about there is a business pricing option for enterprise users that doesn't have jack shit to do with private copies, and they've already confirmed that existing windows users will not be charged any ongoing fees for windows.

Actually you're thinking of January 14, 2020. Windows downgrade rights are confirmed until at least then

op posted instructions on how to upgrade, not instructions for staying on win7
the win10 "bashing" is really fucking minor

Oh okay, I think you'll just have to do a fresh install if you want windows 7 again past the 29th.

Strange link, but that's just the iso, it will need activation. And it seems it'll cost $ per month.

Probably need some activation?

Yeah that's option #4. Technically you're not supposed to have a dualboot with a single license, but you're unlikely to run into any problems. Just clean install windows 10 using it’s install disk, then activate it by entering your windows 7 key at the prompt.

It's already activated.

Is there any guide to de-bloat/clean Windows 10 from all the useless services and botnets that Sup Forums said?

Yes, any installation guide for a GNU distro should do.

i'm having really hard time to install windows 7 updates
what to do?

/thread

>he doesn't know Windows 10 is the last time they're going to be version-ing software

don't you mean linux distro

they just stop giving out new version numbers

Whatever, if MS feels like it the can ALWAYS say the market doesn't want it we need to make a new version.
Last version doesn't mean shit.

I intend to switch to Windows 10 on a computer currently running W7 (I only use this one for gaymen and use another computer running linux for everything else, so botnet isn't quite as big a deal in this case).
Will I have to do anything to prepare before I move over, particularly about my drivers (e.g. uninstall GPU drivers and download W10 ones before I switch), or will everything just werk if I move over without doing anything?
I did try searching this first, of course, but I couldn't find anything related to my question.

There are extensive guides, but some of the settings are pretty hard to do manually. There are several tools that will do a much better job though. Ultimate windows tweaker 4 covers a shitton of settings. W10Privacy and O&O ShutUp10 both work without installation.

Is it a fresh install? Have you managed to install any updates so far?

This thread is retarded and OP is a fag. Don't bother with Windows 10. If you are ever in the unfortunate situation to need it, just use Microsoft Toolkit to activate it.

>more and more programs will begin to require it or its (goddamn) app store
Nothing is going to require the Windows Store.

>including games that require DX12
Welcome you Vulkan you Microsoft shill.

Win10 will deinstall incompatible drivers and TRY to download new, Win10 drivers for your hardware automatically.
It can however install outdated ones, so you want to run the update, leave it for a bit and then come back and recheck everything.

about 4
in 4 days
more than 170 pending (recommended)

Damn, how would I know there's no trojan in there?

It's usually pretty automatic. The upgrade tool takes all of that into account before it offers the upgrade. If you want you can do a system backup just to be on the safe side, but most people don't. When you're done you should probably check your GPU has the latest drivers, and if you want double check your device manager to make sure everything has been recognized.

If I want to upgrade to W10, is there any guides around that shows me how to clean install it?

It supposed to be automatic but in my case the ethernet network drivers didn't work, so no internet connection.
-> download network drivers before you upgrade

When is the Anniversary update coming?

Is MS still going to allow us to tie our MS account to the Windows license so we don't have to worry about fucking around with it after a motherboard swap?

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Click "Download Tool Now"

It will make a USB/DVD for 10 and you can clean install it from there.

is there any way to disable vsync in windowed mode games

Do you think Win10 will boost the casual use of Linux in normies? I'm the "computer guy" among my friends so I'm always formatting their drives and reistalling Win7, but maybe in the future Win10 will be harder or impossible to pirate, and at least where I live people don't even consider paying for an OS as something anyone would ever do. I'd gladly start installing Ubuntu on their systems or some other user friendly distro.

But how?

That will download the 10 iso right? Then I just put it on a USB and plug it in then there will be an option for clean install?

Check your game settings. Or your graphics card settings.

>maybe in the future Win10 will be harder or impossible to pirate
Believe me if that were ever the case, these crafty pirates will find a way. They always do.

It will burn the .iso to the USB and you need to boot from the USB and follow the installer. If you open it in 7, it will want you to upgrade and put all the 7 files in windows.old for recovery if needed.

1. Go to microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
scroll down and click on Download Tool.

2. Start "tool" which will download the ISO image of W10. Select correct W10 version (based on what W7/8 version you have)

3. Once ISO is downloaded burn to DVD. The DVD is a bootable W10 installer.

4. Make sure you have space on a HD for a W10 partition (unless you are bold and plan to overwrite your existing Win partition)

5. Boot from installer DVD. It will ask for your W7/8 license key in the process and install a clean install of W10

>>maybe in the future Win10 will be harder or impossible to pirate
>Believe me if that were ever the case, these crafty pirates will find a way. They always do.

That was for

Alright, make sure you have installed updates:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
and
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

If those aren't enough you might have your update system corrupted and you would want to try the windows update repair tool. Lastly, you could try installing the "convience rollup" that has years worth of updates combined into something like a service pack

digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-update-isnt-working/

howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

It's a Generation release. I'm currently running it on my computer and my laptop. You can search for the release on the Pirate Bay or elsewhere. Just search up LTSB. It comes with the standard US/UK language ISO which is what that is.

After it finishes installing, it activates with a post-install KMS activation script.

Thing about that is the partitions, I have no clue about them.

All I know is that I have a 1TB HDD with 254GB space.

I have only one drive in my system (C:), nothing else, so I'm not sure what I should be doing when it comes to partitioning anything.

Wsus offline