Other urls found in this thread:

yannesposito.com/Scratch/en/blog/Learn-Vim-Progressively/
lighttable.com/
hnng.moe/f/Ett
youtube.com/channel/UC3I28YcV4JgVDGCYALM_pHg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bad, you're better off with VS Code

Definition of bloat, 300MB for showing simple text file

It's good. Has good plugins, and is free in both regards.

I think it's a very n[1 MB post limit reached, post truncated]

dog shit

Alright, well thanks for your opinions. And I know most of you are probably linux autists, but how do you think this compares to notepadd++ for windows?

It's a nice beginner text editor. When you're spending more than 1,5 hour a day on editing text though, it's definitely worth the investment to learn vim or emacs. I'm a big fan of vim, and yannesposito.com/Scratch/en/blog/Learn-Vim-Progressively/ is a good method to learn it. It will slow you down enormously in the first few days, but then you'll slowly get up to speed and train that muscle memory. Also, whatever you do, DON'T touch the mouse and arrow keys. How tempting it can be, it will slow you down in the long run.

wish it was good but this meme of writing everything in javascript is a literal cancer on the software community

np++ is good

It's better. Has better plugins. Looks better from stock. Is better overall.

I've been using np++ for months, but I can't figure out a way to give the entire UI a dark theme. I can get the actual text editor portion dark, but not the actual UI at the top, and it is honestly annoyed me enough to search for another editor.

how about not being so edgy?

Agreed...mostly

NP++ IS faster though

between those two i could pick atom. np++ is faster but has worse support overall.

How about not projecting your neuroses onto me? I can't stand staring at dark code on a blaring white background for hours on end every day, and a dark background with a bright white UI is so ugly.

Yeah, but not really by enough to justify using it.

I think it's much better than notepad, but it's lot heavier, it like lite IDE

>Hint: j looks like a down arrow.
And so does L. What kind of autist wrote this?

Use sublime instead desu, atom struggles to load files over 1mb

this. it's also better than np++

Bloated shit
If you want a bloated electron text editor give VSCode a try. It's much better in my opinion, especially if you're a Gofag.

Better extensibility, better settings, and no telemetry

Yes, the entire thing isn't written in C, but that's almost a strength. A huge number of developers know how to work in web technologies, making it extremely easy to develop for and extend, not to mention, web technologies are getting faster by the day due to the development they are getting on the engine side.

They fixed that

thx

I just use vim mode in Atom. Still get my interface, themes, mouse support, and plugins, but I also get all Vim commands.

see second response

>I don't want it, so you're wrong for asking for it

See first reply, but also, why do you say it's better?

All of the bloat of an IDE with none of the features to justify it.

>See first reply, but also, why do you say it's better?
Well, it doesn't take 30 seconds to launch for a start.
Also you can disable telemetry or compile it without it if you're paranoid.

B L O A T
L
O
A
T

just use emacs?

Oh, I don't use it. I prefer sublime text.
Atom is next, and I haven't used visual code much. NP++ is fine, the others just seen a little better is all

What the point when you use ST on Windows, and vim on BSD ?

>cant open large files
>direct connection to the botnet

yeah, naah

I don't know what you're talking about, I have over 30 plugins in Atom, but this is a fresh install (not a first run, I started it first to take care of first run tasks) of VSCode.

bad but good

I started using Sublime Text too since I had enough money for it. I like it more desu

Tips appreciated user

worst out there

Can you show me more webms of you doing things please? I'd like audio too. Start a youtube channel.

The ui color comes from your windows visual style. Get a dark theme that makes windows explorer dark as well and the whole ui will be dark.

sit tight friend, I've got a little something coming for you

I mostly do javascript and web related front-end code.
I tried Atom twice (in 2014 and one year later) both times for a month. Last month I tried VSCode. In 2014 I also tried Adobe Brackets in mid 2014.
Those three editors are based on the same components (Node script wrapped on Webkit with Electron toolchain). Even with a high-end machine, you won't have a decent experience on a JS based editor.
Notepad++ on Windows or Sublime Text on whatever other OS use your CPU and memory more efficiently.

Has anyone been using Light Table?
It compiles Javascript but it's clojure-based.
lighttable.com/

I used it back when it was just a wee bab and it kind of sucked. The concept was really cool but it was buggy as all hell. If they made it any better, I'd say give it a shot.

Maybe if you split it up?

I use sublime 3 with a handful of plugins related to my workflow

Jost use it, op. I have it installed with awesome mode. I also rigged the keys up to where it makes the fallout 3 terminal hacking sounds, it's a beautiful sound t b h. If you like it, keep it, if not, use something else.

u fokin wot m8?

Making plugins for N++ is a nightmare and there are almost no useful plugins.

Find me a good brace/bracket autocompleter for N++.

hnng.moe/f/Ett

>I did
More please.

i use vscode sublime and npp daily.

Vscode is really good for JS development, its come with node debugger out of box.

Sublime is just a lightweight ide, i use it for php.

Npp is not good of editing at all, it has only code coloring, (yeah it is suggest you words based on file, but there are no 1 files project in reality)
I use if for note to myself, checking xmls output etc... Only advantage i syou don`t need to save files to keep them.

I'm in bed hunched over my lappy talking with my retainer in; gimme like an hour to get myself in video-recording shape and I'll show you my webdev workflow or how to use Valgrind or something

Sounds great, thanks!

fuck off you creepy weirdo

Eat dicks and you fuck off

can't knock me for giving the people (person) what they want yo

Consider taming your monitor's luminance if that's your problem. Are you also unable to stand staring at dark text on blaring white paper sheets?

If you want a Linux equivalent of Notepad++, get Geany.

2 fucking slow

I prefer sublime because it's what I used first

Is slow as hell.
Just use Sublime Text.

>paying for a text editor
>using a closed source text editor

>He still reads black on white books instead of white on black

You don't need to pay.

So what?

nice voice

Whatever

Should I just make a thread?

sure.

make a youtube channel and do weird quriky linux stuff that isnt really covered by other channels.
maybe specific stuff or solutions to problems you have encountered.

Yeah don't see why not

Dunno, personally I'd like if he just browsed around and did what ever he normally does. Personally I'd rather watch an user just fuck around with his calendar than anything on TV

it's shit
use emacs

>Yes, the entire thing isn't written in C, but that's almost a strength. A huge number of developers know how to work in web technologies, making it extremely easy to develop for and extend, not to mention, web technologies are getting faster by the day due to the development they are getting on the engine side.
The cost for that advantage is enormous and shouldn't be ignored.

And I have incredible doubt that it'll ever approach the speed and efficiency of editors like Sublime, TextMate, and vim, which is important because computing power is for most intents and purposes at a standstill right now.

I use it at work. It's one of the few editors that has plugins for interfacing with the platform that I'm working with.

Both of those are painful to watch launching compared to Sublime Text 3.

sublime text kiddies please go

I don't like it. I would only consider using it for very limited use cases.

I don't care what editor I use as long as I can get muh vim keybindings.

People complained about emacs being bloated (Eighty Megabytes And Constantly Swapping).
Well, this is way beyond that. Web technologies should stay in web. Fuck off with those things on desktop.

Funny thing about that... I'm running on a laptop with a non-removable hard drive. Last time I tried to install to the soldered in flash memory, I fried the drive within two months and had to fight with the warranty guys. Basically, I run everything from a Sandisk UltraFit with 45 mb/s bus speed. Even xterm launches slow as shit and there's not much I can do about it; Sublime wouldn't be much faster.

read into asm.js and similar technologies. The web is the fastest growing share of all executed code, the powers that be are going to shovel cash into making it fast.

Was this that bloated editor based on chromium ?

>read into asm.js and similar technologies. The web is the fastest growing share of all executed code, the powers that be are going to shovel cash into making it fast.
But why not just write a native program at that point? Then you can take advantage of native UI toolkits that make web tech look like a plaything and shave a ton of weight off your application since you don't need to bundle a UI library or beat HTML into acting like a UI.

Webassembly doesn't change the fact that HTML, CSS, and JS make a shit combo for UI development. You'll be writing C++ or Rust or Swift or something instead paired with a non-HTML UI library, at which point you're not really doing web development any more and the web engine wrapper becomes dead weight.

>A hackable text editor
So a hacker can easily hack into my computer and steal my code? Why the hell is this marketed as a feature?

Native UI tooklits are really nice, but then you essentially need a new port of the application for every new platform. Web has the advantage of more portability than we have seen thus far. And I do agree that HTML/CSS/JS aren't ideal for UI, but the portability is worth for a lot of developers. It will never replace applications for CAD/Modeling/anything else beefy but text isn't too hard to edit and the overhead of a rendering engine isn't all that bad.

javascript is getting insanely fast.
all thanks to googles v8 engine which started a new engine race.
in some cases node has been clocked faster than cpp.
not to mention javascript has gone a long way since the days of old.
es6 has a lot of great features and gets better support all the time.
i suspect in another two yours we dont have to transpile to es5 anymore.
you dont even have to with chakra and v8 as of now.
so for example chrome and edge can run es6 as can node.
the real issue on the web technology side is HTTP.
it was not designed to work as we are using it now and it shows.
the entire web currently is designed to work around the http protocol and bypass its flaws.

hackable is marketing buzzword for you can change every piece of the code of your browser to extend, add or override functionality.

Microsoft did way better with VSCode, using Github's own tech (the atom shell) and their own Monaco web text editor. Atom is a huge pile of monothreaded shit.

>monothreaded

Extensions are load on the same thread. Thats why they add startup time and why if ONE of them hangs, the whole clusterfucked editor HANGS.

If you're smart, the entire functional part of your software is written in something portable and only the surface layers are rewritten for different systems. This provides the best possible user experience and is reasonable to maintain.

This typically meant writing your core in C or C++, but these days FAR more approachable, more modern, and nearly as performant options like Rust and Swift are showing up which should make cross-platform native development a cinch. I can't speak for Rust but Swift at least isn't much harder to learn than JS is and in some ways is EASIER to learn since its compiler tells you exactly where you fucked up and often shows you the fix instead of subjecting you to the voodoo that is JS debugging.

rust is literally the lovechild of c++ and javascript.
take one look at the language features and syntax and youre right at home.
its super easy to learn and has a built in package manager named cargo.

There's several toolkits that support all platforms, while keeping a native look. See Qt for example.
That said, has it right. In any good real-world desktop application, the "functionality" is split from the "interface". This makes it easy to make different interfaces if need be.

B..but Swift doesn't run on Windows, user.

Fuck, my thread got pruned. What the hell. I'll repost but anyone actually interested should probably just sub the YouTube channel I plan on uploading to.

youtube.com/channel/UC3I28YcV4JgVDGCYALM_pHg

bookmarked your channel since i dont use any google stuff.

It does with Cygwin.

Sublime Text is shit compared to NPP. It takes up to 30 seconds just to search for a string in a 300KLOC file. It's the definition of slow and bloated.

It has all of the features I ever wanted.

Pic related

It looks really nice and plugins are always good thing...
But... I'm using VIM... It's ireplacable once I've learned it xD

I tried getting neovim set up recently but sadly the vim and neovim syntax coloration, autocomplete, and linting plugins for my language either suck, are grossly outdated, or just don't exist.

It'd be peachy if I did web dev or plain old C or CPP or something but I mostly write Objective-C since that's my job.

>async
>having anything to do with multithreading
Looks like you have some documentation to read, junior.

>hnng.moe/f/Ett
better than any asmr i ever watched. It is hypnotising. Would subscribe to your youtube channel