STARTING PROGRAMMING

22, never programmed before, should I start with python or dive right in to C?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#wiki_how_do_i_get_started_with_programming
ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
c.learncodethehardway.org/book/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

BUMP, I only say these two options because they're on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. I know that python is way easier but I'm worried it may give me bad habits

I dived right into C++ and it worked for me. I'd recommend learning it from a book or some courses. Never learn C++ from the internet.

If you want to pick up programming as a hobby, go with Python.

If you're serious about it, start with C. It will give you understanding of how computers work, as well as programming discipline you'll benefit from your entire career. The fact that you've never programmed before is actually a good thing as you'll have no expectations or habits to unlearn.

I want to get serious about it, even though I'm starting really late I want to get good. Do you have any recommendations for C books? Btw I'm currently on Windows 10 and know that I'm going to need an IDE not sure where to go with that easy, I'd like to use an OS like Linux but there's so many different options I don't know what to choose.

Sorry for all these questions, literally started using Sup Forums a few days ago and was introduced to a new universe.

You're too old, don't bother.

Not sure if you're joking because I'm actually worried about that...

reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#wiki_how_do_i_get_started_with_programming

Wow, thank you for this! Much appreciated!

Tutorials over at cplusplus.com are pretty good, not really up to date with c++11 though

Good luck bruh, my personal advice would be to learn based off a project you want to do, rather than just "learn programming" or "learn computer science"

Trust me, you are never too old.

I had tried to teach myself programming a few times, a java course when i was in college, tried learning c++ a couple times on my own. I never got too far or fully grasped the concepts until i did the free opencourseware mit course (6.00 i believe) which is their intro programming course, using python. It's a cool class, and that got my over the hump of understanding basic concepts. once you "get it" enough, it's really easy to learn other languages, I highly reccommend it.

And you're not too old, that shit is fucking stupid.

me again. the link to the opencourseware site is here
ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
I wish I would have just gone to MIT instead of staying home at my local university when i was younger. the free classes they offer are really cool though and can help you a lot if you put in the time. the internet has a lot of helpful guides and videos and soforth, but for me a structure class with relevant projects/lectures with proper difficulty curves is a big help.

K&R or "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, creator of C, has been the ultimate C book since 1978 and I would still recommend it as your first learning resource.

You might also wanna check c.learncodethehardway.org/book/. Personally, I'm not a fan of the guy's teaching style but you'll find some tips on how to set up your environment there. And no, you don't need an IDE. At this point all you need is a text editor and a compiler.

Also, programming is not playing the violin; you're never too old to learn this shit.

Thanks I'll definitely try tackle projects head on!

On the inside I knew this but everyone has negative thoughts just brought them out, thank you for the kind words

Thanks for the great resources, MIT seems really cool... too bad I live in Australia though

Thanks so much for the suggestions and encouragement!

good luck, i hope you do well. I thought it was cool being able to watch MIT lectures online for free. Also, lots of people say that a text editor and compiler are best for beginners. I don't necessarily disagree, but visual studio is awesome, and widely used in the industry, and can really help you understand some things, even though it can be a bit overwhelming (like all ide's- the first time i opened eclipse and tried to set it up was like - uhhhhhhh...???) Especially when you move from writing small simple little command line test programs for learning, to trying to write small simple windows gui programs for learning, which is pretty fun.

Just use the tools that you like and help you learn the best, then try others, all are good, but at times people can be fedora tier with their shouts of, this good, this bad, the only way, noob this blah blah blah. pro-tip: most those people have never been paid to create anything.

>It will give you understanding of how computers work
This meme will never die

I started with Python and a book. Since then I hate that stupid dynamically type shit.

Never really learned Python, Switched to C++ and started making progress with help of a real programmer.

So basically start with C or C++ and learn mainly with a teacher, a real programmer, a good book or in a course. Use the web as another tool and not as your main source of learning.

Use Geany of codeblocks for C and C++

>hates python
>but never really learned it

Python.

Small and clear syntax of ANSI C will require the necessary rigor from you to learn good programming practices which will make you a better programmer in general, independently from the programming language itself.

Python allows for writing prototypes of your ideas very fast, it's interpreted so you can check out your ideas right away before you even write that line in the script file.

I'd say go with C and learn Python next, but if you want to write useful software very fast, then maybe Python is a good idea.

I have chosen C and took a book from libary.
Wrote some little program for Linux and everything went well, but now I am lazy to learn more.
That's only one problem for me now.

Stop being lazy.

He's obviously joking

Thank you. I got the motivation ...