Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums,
I'm a tech illiterate macfag and today I will install Gentoo with very minimal knowledge of what it is or how I do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=3IRf5ggGFWk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>PowerPC
What the fuck are you doing?

I haven't gotten very far, I've just downloaded the iso and just now it looks like it's done burning to the usb drive. As far as I know this might be my first problem. I haven't read anything specifically, but from what little I have read I feel like using a USB drive to install Gentoo isn't possible on PowerPC systems even though I don't see why it wouldn't. We'll see how it goes.
Also, I don't want any help, I want to mess this up on my own.

Installing on a PowerMac G5

It says something about multiple partitions so I don't know I guess I'll make 3-4 partitions except I don't really know how to do that. I tried using Disk Utility, but it looks like it's making dmgs which is not what I want I think
I'll fuck around some and if I don't find anything out I'll google it I guess

Do Linux From Scratch first, it'll make a Linux out of you.

This is a troll right?

No, but I just realised that this will take a very long time so I'll start with installing something easier first.
What do you mean by "from scratch"? Is Ubuntu alright? (It better be because I'm in the midst of installing it)

yes. Use Ubuntu. Install another DE once you're done tho, Unity a shit.

linuxfromscratch.org/

Start with ubuntu, install i3. Get used to a unix environment. Install debian. Get comfy. Install arch, learn to use it properly.

Then install gentoo

At least I've already learned something from this, which is why I set out to do something like this in the first place. (I learned how to use diskutil to burn an iso to a usb drive in OS X)

>entirely from source code
am I being memed?

OP please deliver. Today might be a good day for Sup Forums.

Sounds like a terrible idea but go for it if you want it that much.

Ok so the thing is that what I originally tried to do was correct, but for some reason most of it is greyed out for me and I'm not sure why. Once I find out I can continue. Sorry for Norwegian text.
It says that the selected disk contains the startup volume and can't be partitioned, I don't see why not.

I'm wondering if diskutil can come in handy here as well

I found out that I can't partition I'm booting from, which is probably obvious I don't know.
I don't have an OS X install disk or any hard drives lying around (I think). Maybe I could take a hard drive from one of my MacBook Pros and put in in the second hard drive slot in the Power Mac, partition it and then copy the PPC version of OS X to that partition and then boot from that partition and partition the original drive and then move the PPC version of OS X back to that drive. Will that work? I don't know, maybe.

>Will that work?
Yes.
Designate the new drive as a TimeMachine disk, use TimeMachine to make a backup and you'll be able to restore your system etc.

Alright I'm delaying the partitioning for now, I'm gonna try booting from a USB drive. Turns out I was right and Power Macs can't easily boot from USB. I have to use something called OpenFirmware which I managed to get into easily, but the keyboard input is messed up and I don't know how to type a backslash. I guess I'll just try random keys until I find out.

Uh I'm kind of worried that I don't have any way to type a backslash into this

Well I figured out how to type the commands, but now I get this. Fuck.

Oh there we go.
I was about to continue, but then the PC froze and the fans started going at max speed. This has happened 2 times before, I hoped it was just something with OS X. Maybe it's something wrong with the RAM. Anyways, I'll try again, it doesn't happen that often.

Well it loaded the kernel and some other stuff, then sent me to a white screen where it said something about having identified my display and then shortly after it sent me to an entirely black screen where it remained stuck until I turned it off. Trying again now.

Lubuntu is a good choice to start

tried doing what it said about video=ofonly this time, let's see how it goes

nope, stuck on a black screen again

You're on a weird liveusb setup right?
Try burning a DVD. Maybe will fit in a CD

>You're on a weird liveusb setup right?
I think so...
>Try burning a DVD. Maybe will fit in a CD
Why?

Maybe it was because I entered "live" I just now noticed that you can enter "live-powerpc64" so I tried that

that's just what I would do.
usb booting doesn't work in some older systems. but CD/DVD always work

or google more shit

Well I mean I did get it to load off the USB. Do you mean that it can just kind of get cut off in the middle of the process?

A lot of thing could be going wrong with that liveusb. Just burn a DVD like this faggot: youtube.com/watch?v=3IRf5ggGFWk

Well I don't have a DVD I can burn unless it's possible to overwrite some old movie DVD or something

I was begging to thought that since you where still arguing about it instead of just burning a DVD. But there was also the possibility of you just being an idiot like most mac fags.

you could also try lubuntu in a virtual machine until you buy a clean DVD tomorrow or whatever