Windows XP Gaming Rig

Hello Sup Forums, after a wave of nostalgia I started trying to install some of my favorite childhood games. However, because I am running windows 10 very few of them will work, even with compatibility settings applied. My question is, would it be possible to build a decent windows xp gaming pc for around $350? Although the games would demand much less performance, many of the modern video cards and components won't work with xp. Any ideas on a workaround?

>tldr; Make a XP gaming rig for less than $350

google "best video cards of 2009" into google

buy it on ebay for $20
buy a used computer for $50

don't spend over $100, retard.

Use virtual machines. Configure them good for your needs.

buy a used government workstation. Probs still has xp installed

Monitoring this thread cause I have a similar idea.

Amd apus still have drivers for Xp. Can get a 7300 cpu and a a88 board pretty cheap. Internal video card is enough

I like this idea. Could I buy a thrift store PC to scavenge a power supply?

You could, but even new case and psu combo would be 50 bux. 4gb ram 25 bux and 128gb ssd 50 bux

Don't really have any info to add but I'll bump your thread OP, I'm interested myself.

So the internal card may be enough to run red alert 2, diablo, fallout 1 etc, but it would be nice if it could run games like C&C Generals and Dawn of War with buttery framerates. Do you think the internal card will be enough?

I can get 8 gb ram for just $10 more, reading above^ do you think it would be worth the price difference? I'll be running xp professional x64

Install Gentoo. Install virtual machine. Install Windows XP.

I can only think of thinking of running it in a virtual machine on your dedktop and allocating extra ram to it

>xp professional x64
Not that great for older games, better to go with 32bit.

yeah that's what I was thinking too. I know some of the really old ones won't run on anything other than 32 bit (nuclear strike, etc) but I was just worried that the performance limitation of less ram might be a problem when maximizing performance for the newer titles

Anything that you will want to run under XP should run just fine on 4gb.

I know this is an option, but I kind of like the vanity of having a pc dedicated to this. It's like a time machine console. Plus it's going to be a permanent thing, so at any point I want to go back and play those titles I can (which I do in cycles). If I just ran a virtual machine updating computers would really be replacing two computers instead of one. Essentially, I want to make a computer equivalent to what an N64 or a PS1 represent to consoles.

get an old laptop and install win xp, something like a HP Compaq 615 should be enough for most games. if you need more graphics power buy something with a gpu.

Colleges and business often sell their old workstations, buy one and then by an old gpu. 350 is way overboard pal.

just use Windows 7

but these probably won't have HDMI ports and the image quality won't be as good on my modern monitors. It's hard to describe, but on higher resolution monitors even crappy graphics look crisp in a nice way.

Maybe $350 is too much, but that's just the limit. Basically I want to build the best computer I can for the job, and if I stay far under budget that's great

>but these probably won't have HDMI ports
Just about anything made the last 8-10 years should have a HDMI port.
Also most mid-high end workstations will have at least one PCI-E slot even if it is just a low profile slot.

kill yourself

So much edge, stranger.

HP 355 G2
Lenovo B50-80

are both within your budget and have Quad Core 2GHz CPU, dedicated GPU with HDMI, 4GB RAM

>fallout 1

Just use Fallout Fixt

Intel has graphics driver for Windows XP. Just buy an i3 and 4/8 gigs of ram and use the integrated graphics. They're already way ahead of an 8800GT.

install linux and WINE

Can't tell about the price but i'm pretty sure that it won't go over $350, just get a cheap 775/1366 board as P45/X48/X58 boards have XP drivers.
For GPU the Nvidia 700 series still have XP drivers, not sure about performance but hardware-wise that would be the best you could get in green, AMD also have XP drivers for R9 Fury/300 and lower, but again not sure about performance or stability.

By the time W7 appeared, the cards in market were Series 400 in Nvidia and HD5000 in Ati, but with Series 200 (gtx 260c216, 275, 285) and HD 4000 (4830, 4870, 4890) were also good as they were DX 10/10.1 already (and you only need up to 9.0c).

I bought a Dell Precision M6300.

> C2D T7300
> 4GB RAM
> XP or XP64
> FX3600M
> 17" 1920x1200 LCD
> Optional dock
Works well for FarCry and C&C Zero Hour. I think I'm $200 - $250 into it, including the 250GB SSD that it has.

wine is still buggy and underdeveloped

>buy CRT monitor
>Nvidia 9800GT
>Core 2 Duo or whatever
>4 GB RAM

Cheap as fuck, I'm sure you can find the shit for less than $100 if you look hard enough

Use a VM.

This must be an early version of the game, I'm sure apocalypse tanks didn't look that bad

VM won't work for old games for XP, in the same pickle myself. I have an ftp server with about 50 games from Windows 95 to XP. You'll need either a partition for XP or an old rig with old parts (which is what I did). VMs don't support the games like you'd think, directx just won't werk

VMWare has DirectX 2d and 3d acceleration support specifically for Windows XP. You probably just don't know what you are doing.

Did Windows nuke compatability mode in 10? I laugh at people in the medical world who keep an old XP machine when they can just use a 7 in compatability mode I see it all too often

Has compatibility mode ever worked?

Dude it's XP just throw together any old wank

Actually an APU build would work fairly well here.

Hey OP, I have an old Vostro 200 and I am willing to do the same thing that you are.
I have an extra desk in my room where I keep my snake tank that I would like to make a little XP setup out of with a dope snake tank.

Don't buy new parts. Go old. Get a C2D machine with 4GB of RAM or some shit. Any GPU is good, something like a 9600 GT maybe.

You can do gpu passthrough and get flawless function. Just need an older video card (i.e. gtx 9800).