IS DDR4 a meme?

if you think ddr4 is a meme wait till ddr5 comes out

It's as much of a meme as DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 were. They're all memes.

I just use an abacus for my computing needs, tbqh.

ddr4 is able to pull out faster speeds then ddr3, however the latency is significantly higher, 3 was the equilibrium for low latency and fast speeds.

ddr4 should be the last ddr we get and we move to something that has less latency, but there may be a stop gap ddr5, or even potentially they call the new ram ddr5 even if its not ddr just for the sake of keeping the naming scheme.

It just an evolutionary development of DDR.

It just allows RAM manufacturers to create faster chips with less voltage which means they can throw in denser chips = larger DIMM = more memory.

DDR4 will make 128GiB or more memory affordable and commonplace.

>is X a meme
Just fucking kill yourself. Do us all a favor and end your worthless life.

Anyone who asks if something is a meme should be automatically be fucking permabanned. It doesn't fucking mean anything you fucking shit.

It really isn't.
In 2009 I bought 1333MHz DDR3 memory with a 9T CAS.
That's a CAS latency of 13.5ns.

In 2016 I bought 2133MHz DDR4 memory at 14T CAS.
That's a CAS latency of 13.1ns.

As you can see not only is the latency not significantly higher it has in fact improved. I'm not comparing low end DDR3 to high end DDR4 either. 14T at 2133 is bog standard. You can get worse, but that's more or less the typical.

>however the latency is significantly higher

You're a tech-illiterate retard, user. RAM latency is a factor of both timings and clock speed. A stick of 3200MHz DDR4 at CL18 has the same latency as 1600MHz DDR3 at CL9, yet also much higher bandwidth. There are literally no downsides to DDR4. It's better than DDR3 in every way.

>a meme?
What does that mean? Denotatively speaking, pretty much all technology is memetic:

meme
/mēm/
noun
an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.

just like ddr2 and ddr3 were a meme, yes ddr4 is a meme.

stick with sdr sdram for best results.

Ddr4 is wat makes skylake any good, the processor is pretty unremarkable, all they did was make something compatible with the new bells and whistles and then shove the same old processor tech, really no improvements of any worth over last gen in strictly the processor

Depends on the monitor resolution and on how large it is

My graphics card has had DDR5 for a while now

> The year 9000-7*5*2*5*2*5*2+4*2*3/2+4*.5*2
> Not using analog computers
Wew lad

It is GDDR5 you dipshit

HBM2 or 3.
Either that or it'll be that Xpoint 3d memory.

I'm waiting for a RAMBUS comeback.

HBM would be crazy good for custom solutions if the latency was reduced. Hmm it would be hilarious to have a all-in-one cpu + igpu + mobo + (HBM) ram setup for things like laptops as you would be able to have shitloads of fast ram really close to the cpu which would help reduce down overall size of the motherboard itself, potentially allowing for smaller form factors or (more likely) more internal space for better cooling, bigger batteries, multiple drives etc etc.

lel

:^)

Now? Yeah but probably not next year when zen/Kaby lake

/thread

This post should be sticky

Doesn't excuse the fact that 1333MHz CAS 9 has little gaming performance penalty compared to higher-speed DDR3
while 2133MHz DDR4 is significantly slower than 2800/3200

>falling for bait

Copy pasta-ing this. kek

thisthisthis

So what you're saying is, doesn't matter what DDR3 stick you get, it'll perform worse than the lowest tier DDR4, yet you can upgrade your DDR4 and get even better performance?

Yeah, good argument bro.

>ddr4 stick is cheaper than ddr3
>ddr4 mobo are cheaper than ddr3 mobo
poorfags get out of my Sup Forums

FUCKING THREAD!

What? It's not like 2133 MHz DDR4 has gaming performance penalty any more than 1333MHz DDR3. Most of the time if RAM affects gaming performance, it's due to lack of RAM.

All tech companies compete about selling the dankest memes these days.

Our storage mediums is smaller than they were a decade ago.
Our phones are over twice the size than they were when they were good.
Video quality is mediocre thanks to everything has to be streaming and americans cannot get fast internet and australians have data caps.

Memory is faster now, but the transfer protocols is bad, so I think they are they are good enough, but definitely room for improvements.

Considering how it's safe from rowhammer if you're using g.skill ram, yes. Worth the investment.

Is there a reason software can't take advantage of VRAM and use it as general system ram?

The new Titan X launches with 12GB. in most situation you will have 10GB + spare.

Sorry for this retarded post btw.

You can use it as a sort of vramdisk, iirc.

Higher DDR4 frequency offers noticeable gains in min performance.

Going from 2133-4000 gives +1-5 min frames per frequency jump, the current cost/performance sweet spot being 3200

Can confirm, running quad channel 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz

Can confirm, running dual channel 2x8GiB DDR4 3200MHz

>he fell for meme isn't meme

Nice samefag, newfag
is x a meme is here to stay

who fucking cares, you buy the RAM that your motherboard supports