Sup Forums, how can a guy teach his parents internet security/safety?

Sup Forums, how can a guy teach his parents internet security/safety?

I am removing a virus off their PC for the millionth time but I don't know how to go about imposing rules on them without seeming like a dick. thing is, I am legitimately beginning to worry about their shit, they haven't changed email provider or password ever, I am afraid something might happen to them

pic related, I booted into safe mode and opened the image in paint its the typical encryption ransomware virus. looks like they run a few shell scripts to force chrome open to display only that image.

what do I do Sup Forums? have any of you dealt with this problem?

I installed uBlock on my mom's pc.

Setup a firewall and just block everything accept Facebook. Pretty much only thing old people do online... And maybe the emails

Umatrix, ublock, tell them not to download stuff.

Thanks, it looks like they'll be switching to firefox then

Does preventing sending referrers to websites besides the one you clicked on cause problems for general browsing?

Also, I want to know too how do you actually sit down with them and show them how to use it. Most of us are young adults and college aged here right? I don't want to be insolent-seeming yet I can't live with myself because I have been ignoring blatant poor computer usage for years and am afraid what will happen when I leave

>install xubuntu on moms computer
>never had to deal with virus and strange behaviours ever again

feels good man

Install adblock, noscript, popup blocker. Put them on a guest account with only some privileges enabled so they have to put in a password to be able to install/write/uninstall files/programs.

If they do general browsing, it will be tedious AS fuck to put in the allow statements. Beat thing is follow the advice on a block and such ever going into their Web browser settings and putting to highest security. Mid 30s here sorry man

that is the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you user

and thank you to the rest of you too

Just put Ubuntu on that shit

>Sup Forums, how can a guy teach his parents internet security/safety?

You can't. Do what everyone else did 4 years ago and just get them iPads.

I only give them Android or Chrome OS devices.

If something goes horribly wrong you factory reset and sign them back into Google.

Install Linux on their computers if all they do is emails and shit.

simply tell them to never execute a file

make them freetards and teach them how to install and use Gentoo, then get them to post desktop pics on desktop threads XD

>execute a file

If all they do is very basic computing then just put linux on their computers, it doesn't have any viruses.

Install Chrome OS

Install NoScript and UBlock brower add-ons.
Then white-list the websites they typically use so they won't complain that stuff doesn't work.

You need to do this for every browser or hide the other browsers (deleting the icon is sufficient ;-)

assuming they know what a "file" is

>this
tech illiterate parents cannot be trusted.

Installing a Linux distro is best thing you can do.prevent virus.make your self admin,and ssh to check and maintain their laptop when needed without touching it

this is what i do as well. i converted all our computers my parrents use to xubuntu and i just ssh in to fix things or mostly just install software. best move i have ever made. dealing with windows bullshit was annoying.