/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread reached bump limit: Post your stupid questions here that don't deserve its own thread.

This is for questions that do not fit the other threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/M-2-NGFF-SSD-to-Mini-PCI-E-mSATA-Adapter-Card-Replacement-Converter-Wholesale-/311426925853?hash=item48827dc51d:g:XywAAOSwUV9WpyJR
hackmd.io/
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
pcpartpicker.com/list/C4X6XH
freewordtemplates.net/download/Credit_Card_Use_Log.doc
superuser.com/a/645654
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there an adapter for this SSD?
mz-ntd1280/000

I need it to become an mSATA so that I can connect it to my Maximus Gene V mPCIe combo thing.

I'm so confused by all these specifications and shit. I found this:
ebay.com/itm/M-2-NGFF-SSD-to-Mini-PCI-E-mSATA-Adapter-Card-Replacement-Converter-Wholesale-/311426925853?hash=item48827dc51d:g:XywAAOSwUV9WpyJR

But when I read this part:
>About Mini PCIe SSD interface standard:

I become dizzy and want to puke.

I'm trying to get a helicopter I won on a fair years ago to work.
I'm using an arduino nano with an L293D for the rear engine and an L298 for the 2 main engines. Remote control will be added later.

However, I'm unable to get it to lift itself of the ground.
What could be the cause of this?

Some info:
When measured, a single main engine puls 1.18 amps which slowly decreases over time, and 2 running at the same time is about an amp. The L298 is able to supply up to 2 amps, so that shouldn't be the problem.
I'm unable to find any datasheets about the engines or the helicopter itself though, so I'm not even sure how much current or voltage the engine needs.

Could the battery be the cause? Or are my typical breadboard wires too thin?
Something else I'm totally missing?

Some weird shit happens on my keyboard depending on it's orientation. When it's cable isn't placed under the keyboard and is far away from the system unit it would sometimes input the key twice when you press the key only once like outputting "oo" instead of "o". And when it is placed on a non-flat surface, the keys will most of the times not work. If it is put on a non-flat surface long enough, weirder shit happens, like it would try to shut down my pc, or open up the last program that has been recently opened. At first, I thought this is a problem with the keyboard hardware but then when I tried to plug it on my laptop, it would work perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever, so it can't be the keyboard. Now I have no clue what is causing this to happen.

Changing the Repeat delay and rate, and the Filter keys don't work, by the way.

seagate barcuda or toshiba hdd?

How to back up a few folders properly to a 16GB USB stick while using Linux? From what I understand the files will corrode over time if I move them back and forth from the USB to my main storage and I may start losing my data? Just copying seems to be especially dangerous when copying from the USB to a clean OS install, replacing my previous files with potentially corrupted ones.

Looking for the simplest possible solution. A program to do the job is okay, but I haven't heard of one. I'm using Pcmanfm. The ideal solution would be something like a glorified copy/paste with md5 checking to ensure the correct data is being delivered/retrieved.

I'm replacing the glass on an iPad Mini. Are the kits from iFixit worth the price? The iFixit kits are like $80 + overpriced shipping ($15) = $95. Amazon has kits for $30 and free shipping.

I'm going to buy a new laptop with a ssd.
How do I know the OS will be in the ssd and not in the hdd?

Does Honeyview have a slideshow mode? Are there any frameless image viewers that have slideshow mode/

Just done a fresh install of Debian Testing, however when I attempt to remove libreoffice with 'apt-get remove --purge libreoffice' I am greeted with pic related and libreoffice is still installed, where am i going wrong?

I have 4 hard drives in my computer.
Operating system, software, Steam and all my gaems are on a single one. The other three drives are asleep (used for backup only). Yet every time I boot Steam it automatically boots up the remaining three drives even though there are NO games on those. What's going on here?

wut

MVW-DVD5-FU5W78J8OTFBQN

>where am i going wrong?
Install using a net-install and try not to select libreoffice when you select the software you wish to have.

There are two TP-LINK TL-WR1043 routers. One is the old white one (V1), and a newer black one (V2).

They worked fine separately, used the old one at home, and the newer one in another city. Now I don't need both of them, so I decided to factory reset the V2 and I set up to use that at home. I configured it by entering the router IP address in a browser through a PC connected from LAN3 port (other PCs are connected to LAN1-2).

Everything seemed to working fine, but when I'm shutting down the PC what is connected into the LAN3 slot, the WLAN stops working.

Any hint on this? Or should I put back the old one and file the newer one to the X-Files? :(

I use JPEGView on Windows and I'm pretty sure that has a slideshow mode.

Thank you for the response, I will do the net install now

Does it make a difference in noise level between an internal HDD with an enclosure or an external HDD? I would use it with a raspberry pi 3 for a NAS and it would be like 3 meters away from my bed. Will there still be noise with these options?

When I leave my PC left idle i get a BSOD error saying memory management and the computer restarts. I was thinking my parts are not compatible?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz

ASUS TUF Motherboard ATX DDR4 2667 LGA 1151 SABERTOOTH Z170 S

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 80+ GOLD, 650W Continuous Power, Fully Modular

I removed one stick of RAM and no BSOD yet. So is it the RAM and PSU?
What 16gb RAM is compatible?
Also how to place RAM? I had the two sticks in black slots. One aprt from eachother. Thanks for replies. I will stay here long

This is how i have the one stick placed

it still has a frame though lad

I'm buying an ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING motherboard and a 2x4gb DDR4 kit with the part number HX426C15FBK2/8

I'm worried about compatibility, since it's not listed on the support page on the Asus website, on the other hand they list the exact same RAM module, but as 4/16, which is two kits of 2x4.

No reason not to work, right?

Image Eye

It has a 1px black frame though, no idea why they wouldn't just leave it frameless

this is me careful bro. dont want you to go through what im going through

Are you talking about the window decorations (titlebar)? Apparently the program WinExplorer can remove the titlebar for any given window. And then you could use something like AltDrag to move and resize borderless windows.

is there a vim/emacs version of Sup Forums?

For you it says it supports 16 gb of that ram, but 4x4, but also 32 bg, 4x8.

I don't get it, it should work.

Is there a FOSS text editor like iAWriter.What I like about iAWriter is that it has wide margins around the text and it can show a live preview of markdown files.
Or is there any editor capable of live markdown previews?
I've tried but failed to make notepad++ behave like it.

don't link other threads, people who have a filter for one of these will automatically have this one filtered too because of that

visual studio code has markdown preview

That is too big for simple note taking. I was thinking of something a little more minimal.

hackmd.io/

Not really a text editor, but it's on Github so you can clone the repo and run it yourself

where can I get a full version of win8.1. pro
>inb4 amazon or ebay

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

This. Pic related explains itself. Is there any way to make the root partition bigger? In another thread they told me to change the storage location for my video application, but is as simple as grabbing the media player and moving it to the SD or I'm missing something?

And sorry for the spanish too

no.

what video application are you using? it shouldn't save to the internal storage and I'm sure there is a setting in there to change it.

If it's the media player for playing the videos, I'm using Samsung's default. If it's another thing, tell me how to find it, very newbie in this situation

Well, I didn't manage to navigate to this. There was only win10 option.
>really makes me think...

the media player is recording videos? what

it's on the same page, just click download and run the tool, it'll let you choose a version and lets you create an iso file.

The problem started early today when I tried to send a video on whatsapp. The "insufficient storage" message popped up and I saw the root size. All my videos and photos are saving to the SD. My problem is with the root folder

so what's taking up all the space?

I mean several days ago when I was browsing there site. Then I was wading through ebay and amazon offers from shady providers. Problem is local retail stores only offer oem versions which is a nuisance.

I dunno. I was thinking that the folder was small, or something like that

What is the point surge protectors? i plug my computer to the wall for 5 years and i have never had a dead component. i mean high end psu is enough right?
unless its a ups.

Can someone help with this?

you can't be helped.
find out what's taking up the space and delete it.

>asrock mobo with Max cpu power draw at 95w
>fx 4100
>r7 260x
>ssd
Would it be worth it to buy an fx 6300 and a 1060 or used 970? I've also considered a used 2500k and used motherboard. With ~$400, what would be the best upgrade?

I can't delete since I'm not rooted, and I want to keep my warranty, so I guess I will have to call the technical service

Is NoScript standalone add-on? Or do some add-ons use it as well?

noscript is awful, don't use it.
use umatrix instead, it's domain/whitelist handling is far superior and makes sense.

Right now I'm using HTTPS,Ublock and Self destructing cookies. Would you think It's enough and should I really need Umatrix?

none of them disables javascript, if that's what you want, then yes.

Figured out finally!

The PC was plugged in to the same surge protector strip as the router. I tried with a table lamp to the same strip, even if that was on, the WLAN was fine, when everything else was off expect the router, WLAN gone nuts.

Changed the power strip, and now the newer router works fine regardless of other stuff powered on. Probably the TL-WR1043 V2 is more sensitive to the AC power. And the surge protector extension is an older one with aging mechanism (although around 3 years old, I assumed it was fine)

Thanks for helping out!

Building a pc in a micro atx case. Thinking about getting pic related but still a bit unsure. Ill be using the pc for moderate gaming and just general use. Any other good recommendations?

get the cheapest
if you use 4 dimm slots go get the cheapest that have 4 dimm slots
if you use only 2 sata slots go get the cheapest that have 2 sata slots

These are my current computer specs. If I buy a GTX1080 now, could I just stick it in and everything will work, or would I need to replace some components first?

What should I use now that kickass is gone? anything but TPB please

Thinking of switching to Windows 8 just for kicks, but I do a shit-ton of torrenting. Then again, I do it on my Xubuntu partition anyway, and I don't use the Windows partition for much but some steam games.

Should I be fine upgrading the Windoze partition to Win8? Using a Thinkpad T61.

I just started using a s5. Update to android 6 and factory reset. I have mobile data turned off in the phone settings, and in both app settings for "google" and "google app store" I have set it to only use wifi. Yet a while after linking a google account and starting to download shit from the google app store, I noticed that it had used up all my daily mobile data. How do I make sure it can't do it again? What have I missed?

Are there any halfway decent Android tabs around at the moment?

I was using the original Nexus 7 for years then switched to an iPad mini when I stopped being a poorfag. Now pretty disillusioned with the iPad and want to switch back.

Should I even bother with Android? A Surface, for example, would probably suit my needs as well as an Android tablet would, I'd just have to deal with laptop-tier battery life.

best aftermarket 1070?

also graphics card general when?

Where's that general that shows you how to avoid google on your smartphone?

How do I filter (You) shitposting?

How to get Software Center in KDE Neon working. In other words - how to install shitz via ppa? By default everything there is broken.

pcpartpicker.com/list/C4X6XH

How is my build?

What the fuck is going on? It's like this across the entirety of my first monitor.

Had to take a picture because it looks completely normal in screenshots

Shit, wrong image

Update: Trying to open something as administrator brought up that confirmation overlay and that fixed it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vaporwave

Is trying to get into neural networks with an AMD GPU and OpenCL a stupid idea?

There is a huge lack of OpenCL libraries in this field as far as I've heard.

Is it safe to assume that most any software that works on Windows 8.1/10 would function on a Windows phone? For example, could I install the Windows build of Dolphin to a phone and have it work flawlessly?

no, absolutely not.
normal windows binaries are not compatible with windows phone.

Shit, that's dissapointing

Best laptops for someone with no interest in gaming?
Are Macbook Pros worth it?

Macbook pros are not worth it.

What do you plan on doing with this laptop? Why are you getting it?

Is 60°C - 65°C running mprime a good CPU temperature?

School and pleasure basically. I've never had a laptop before but now that I have a good source of income I want to invest in a nice one. The main things about the macbook that appealed to me were the retina display and trackpad gestures but they seem way too expense for the specs.

Python question
how do I use skimage.measure.regionprops? I tried using skimage.measure.label to split an image into labeled regions, then pass that to regionprops but all I'm getting is a fuck ton of lines like this and not a nice list of all the properties

Does this file contain malware? freewordtemplates.net/download/Credit_Card_Use_Log.doc

How do you check it?

Which is the best Sup Forums browser for android?

(You) can't

What if you want to make iOS apps

stupid question here, why are there so many generals?

Hopefully someone here can help me. I've got a Crucial MX200 512GB SSD and I had a power outage a couple nights ago. After the power outage, the SSD no longer appears in BIOS. I've got it hooked up to my laptop now via an external hard drive adapter and it doesn't show in the bios or windows explorer but it shows up in device manager and disk management. Disk management shows it as inactive and won't let me partition the drive though.

I've tried the power-cycling method Crucial suggests numerous times, as well as updating the firmware on the drive (it also shows up in Crucial's software and lets me upgrade firmware on it) and clean erasing it.

Anyone have any other things I should try or will I just have to RMA this thing? Not concerned about data loss but I'd like to get this working. Pic related is what it shows in Crucial's software.

To keep queries and discussion of a related subject (keyboards, GNU/Linux, headphones, etc) in one thread so the board doesn't get filled up with stupid questions. Unfortunately, summerfags don't believe in generals.

>Crucial
Thats your problem.
Its dead jim.

Is there a usb microphone that isnt a huge desktop eyesore?
Maybe a clip on?

Is there a good email app like k9 but with a material theme? Its just so damn ugly

gmail

I just full restored my PC for Windows 7, only to find that it's already using 2gb of ram, even with nothing running. I turned off 'load startup items' in msconfig, rebooted my pc, and nothing changed.

Is this normal?

superuser.com/a/645654

you actually want RAM to be used though, that's what it's for.

I know, but I'm not sure it was using 2gb just to run windows and avp though. To expand on my question, he's a screen cap.

I have a Samsung 40H6400 tv and I connected it to the internet through my router but I don't want to connect it to my PC.

How do I view streamed tv/sports stuff like in sopcast on it?

Also I had Superfetch off already.

CACHING

I'm dumb as hell. I fucking got a computer with windows 10 and I really fucking hate how it resets settings very frequently and there's still shit support for some of my old peripherals. I'd like to go back to windows 7 but I can't as there are some work programs that "require" windows 8.1.

I need to buy a windows 8.1 license for as cheeply as possible with out getting ripped off.

Like I said earlier. I can't quite tell what's reputable out of the cheap options.

Play Asia has it for 20 bucks but that seem like a complete scam even though I've bought shit off them before. Is this legit?