Openbox masterrace

Why aren't you using openbox? (if you use blackbox or fluxbox why haven't you switched?)

Only reason I can guess people on Sup Forums shill xfce is because they are from osx/windows and don't understand what windowmanagers actually do.

protip - run xfce4-panel if you can't live without a start menu.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>floating window managers

>Why aren't you using openbox?
Because tiling window manager are vastly superior (though they do have a fairly steep learning curve 'till you're productive - I'll admit as much).

bspwm, i3, xmonad, dwm, etc. - pick your poison, it matters little.

tiling window managers are superior for some tasks. (most of which can be solved running tmux) floating are much better for times you need to see the edge of the window but not much more (focus follows mouse, C-p, enter, seeing the edge showing something happening that needs your attention - like dmesg flooding when something is breaking)

In a browser, you can't always cut off a piece of the window without it thinking you want to scale everything. Annoying for many video streaming stuff where half the window is garbage and shrinking the window size cause the video player to get smaller to make room for all the garbage.

Last time I used a tiling WM (xmonad) the main issue I ran into was doing floating for some things (and a lot of stuff really doesn't do so well with tiling - mostly shit applications like gimp, kicad, etc)

I would love a option to have tiling on one or two virtual workspace, or on only one monitor.

I have some keybindings to snap windows to the corners, resize windows and when I really need a grid I use tmux. (90% of the time I want tiling is for xterms)

But yeah, I respect the tiling folks yall are okay with me.

Because I use Fvwm and Window Maker, can't decide which to stick with

Because jwm is better.

It's not.

Like not in any way what so ever.

agreed, jwm is the best wm

I use awesome WM

Also is this the new desktop thread?

XFCE + Openbox with handles. Fuck tiling shit.

I love Openbox. As for OSX and Win users, I passed my OB/Deb netbook on to my sister and she took to it in seconds. "Right click on the desktop is your start menu." Granted I had pre-configured the menu to use familiar wording, but it wasn't long before she came to ask me how to change it. Learning that also took her no time.

> xml config files
Disgusting.

~/.config/openbox/rc.xml?
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml?
/xml/xml/openboxml/wtf.xml?

Better than fluxbox configs where a extra space makes it stop workin

>.xml config file

dropped

What GTK theme is that on sublime?

KDE is very nice at the moment.

>(if you use blackbox or fluxbox why haven't you switched?)

Because Fluxbox is superior. Openbox just sounds like you are talking about a whore's pussy.

>GTK theme
>sublime

Lol, but it's Afterglow with Brogrammer systax.

It does the exact same things as Openbox, only it uses less memory and comes with a built-in task bar.

DE's are too bloated.

And by systax I mean syntax...

I run LXDE and LXDE uses openbox, does that count?

because it doesn't support Wayland and it uses shitty XLib as it's dependency

why aren't you using i3 or bspwm?

It also comes with lots of bugs and no hope of them ever being fixed because all the devs left for openbox.

Windows is the best DE and its window manager is perfectly adequate.

Last time I tried this, it didn't play well with my dual 1440p monitors. Does anybody else use the same res and with multiple displays, and does it work now?

>Wayland

topkek

Afaik multi-monitor setups are doing better now with 5.7.

Nice, I will give it a try when I get bored of using my current setup. Although I will probably use this for another few years because I get so much done with openbox.

Wayland uses much less CPU than shitty X, it doesn't have 300+ applications included with the fucking display server and it has more capabilities, Wayland is the future of display on GNU.
Wayland can work with OpenGL with zooming in and rendering 3D on the desktop with 3D compositors.
youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs

>It also comes with lots of bugs
Never had any crippling bugs.
>and no hope of them ever being fixed because all the devs left for openbox.
What 'devs'? It's pretty much just a singly guy's project (with latest commit being yesterday), and the code is simple and clean enough you can fix or tweak anything you want yourself.

openbox is CUTE

>it doesn't have 300+ applications included with the fucking display server

?

You mean on Linux?

why not the one true window manager?

It was the best in the simple gdi days, now with dwm and DirectX shit it's bloated garbage,

X11 is bloated as fucking shit, it includes shitloads of programs just to get it to work. Whereas Wayland runs off of 3 programs, XWayland (it's X implementation) Wayland and Weston the testing grounds for Wayland.
Yeah but the OS is GNU, not Linux.

No, the OS is Linux. Quit being a contrarian you piece of shit.

you are literally retarded, I bet you call Android Linux, that is your logic. I'm not being an autistic freetard by saying GAHNOO/LEENKEKZ I'm just saying the actual system, not the kernel, the kernel doesn't need to even be said unless explicitly talking about it, I don't call Windows the word "NT" or Android "Linux" stay mad faggot

>X11 is bloated as fucking shit, it includes shitloads of programs just to get it to work

you mean it's written with the unix philosophy? Who would have thought?

X11 isn't perfect and does need to be replaced but most people have work to do and need a stable display server with more than 3 window managers.

I call Android Android for the same reason I call Linux Linux, that's what it's been known as and still is known as.

>if you use blackbox or fluxbox why haven't you switched?

Because fluxbox has a panel.

The kernel is called linux, which is what most people consider to be the most important thing.

The rest is just applications. You can build a full linux system without using a single piece of GNU.

You don't even need GCC.

xml fucking sucks, no way im using this shit

cwm is really good though

Wayland?

bloat

well then you would be wrong. The operating system believe it or not is in fact GNU. Just like the OS is Android, the OS is iOS, the OS is Mac OS X, the OS is Windows.
so by that logic I should call every system by the kernel, ok Windows is NT only and Mac OS X is Darwin only.

why no dx12/vulkan frontends for linux

>well then you would be wrong
Nope.
>The operating system believe it or not is in fact GNU
But that's wrong.
>so by that logic I should call every system by the kernel, ok Windows is NT only and Mac OS X is Darwin only.
You can't use Windows and OS X as examples, they're complete systems as opposed to Linux systems which are just collections of pieced together programs from developers who have nothing to do with each other. Windows is Windows, OS X is OS X, Linux is a collection of applications bundled with a Linux kernel.

>DX12
because it's closed source and Microsoft made it only run on Windows 10.

>Why aren't you using openbox?
I prefer fluxbox due to minimalism and speed

I like your top part OP. forgot what ya call it. havent used it in ages.

which tile scrip ya use? I used to use twilys. but now i wouldn't bother due to minimizing etc

Also. you guys know you can even tile with windows right? you don't need more than 4 applications on 1 workspace desu.

xfce4 cinnamon. bother have tiling

>so by that logic I should call every system by the kernel, ok Windows is NT only and Mac OS X is Darwin only.

Or you could like not be autistic and just call it what everyone else does and not what Richard "i'm jealous of Linus" Stallman tells you to call it?

Despite what the FSF thinks, most software (both in sheer numbers and in daily use/usefulness ) is not GNU.

All the core utilities have been ported to BSD, and now that clang/llvm is mature and pulling all the new talent away from GCC it's only a matter of time before that piece of garbage is ditched and kernel dev moves to llvm/clang.

openbox is as fast if not faster than flux. It has less bloat since it doesn't package anything - not even a task bar.

fluxbox is a fine wm, but it's old and has issues.

I guess, only tested them out for a bit. I use i3 now.

A lot of tiling WMs support floating as well man.

>"shouldn't we call GCC the Linux compiler?"
no because it isn't made for Linux it is made to compile everyday shit you dumb fuck sandnigger liberal.

clang/llvm is probably more sanely designed than GCC too since stallman intentionally crippled it because "muh non-free plugins"

GCC is great, I use it and it never gives me problems.

sure, it's usable

but some day the code will just start rotting

that can be said about every software project

because i want my desktop to be usable

Code is already rotting. The code is so complicated only a few grey beards actually understand all of it.

GCC works fine, but sadly if attitudes towards useful new features don't change it will slowly disappear and we will be stuck with only one decent compiler (which sucks for everyone because competition is good)

Everyone doing research on compiler optimization is using LLVM and not GCC because the codebase is so horrible and the community is pretty terrible (exporting the AST is kinda important to these people)

It's a shame we can't get innovation while Stallman maintains veto rights.

yeah i forgot to mention that it IS already rotting, too

that's what happens when you intentionally program software so no one understands it

>that's what happens when you intentionally program software so no one understands it

Which is ironic considering the major benefit of a opensource compiler is you can verify there isn't anything malicious in it.

Because I'm using spectrwm atm... Though desu looking at it, configuring bspwm seems very similar to spectrwm, and maybe more flexible.