Hey Sup Forums sorry to bother you guys for a such a stupid little thing...

Hey Sup Forums sorry to bother you guys for a such a stupid little thing, bit I just installed Ubuntu and I'm having this issue.

Tried downloading Chrome, and after trying to install I get that little question mark on the dock.
It's frozen there.

If any of you know a solution I would appreciate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
howopensource.com/2011/10/install-google-chrome-in-ubuntu-11-10-11-04-10-10-10-04/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/55537140
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You installed a Linux system. There is your problem.

is this the new desktop thread

Doesn't it have some kinda package manager? Why did you go to the chrome website?

>chrome
WHY? You're on Linux goddammit. Use Opera, or at least Chromium.

Use the package manager to install chrome

Should be sudo apt-get install chrome, assuming ubuntu is still using apt

>Opera
>installing a chinese botnet

Hey OP, you're going to have to install it using terminal or use gdebi as your package manager.

But I'll show how to install it using terminal. First you should copy these lines of text and paste them into the terminal. Type in your password if prompted.

wget dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

sudo apt-get install libxss1 libgconf2-4 libappindicator1 libindicator7

sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

And there you go, just look for chrome and you should be able to launch it no problem.

Good luck OP

- open terminal and go to the package location
- type:
sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

If apt complains about dependencies, just type:
sudo apt-get install -f

After that, chrome will be installed.

Says unable to locate packet..

Use opera instead you autist

Try Chromium instead

chrome is fucking garbage anyway

Did nothing man, I did every step and Chrome still doesn't show up anywhere.
And that question mark is still there.

No, I really don't fucking care about the botnet. Nothing wrong with Chrome. It's my browser of choice so piss off cunts.

Restart and try again. My guess is it's asking for your password in a window somewhere.

I only said try Chromium because it will actually be in the repos if Chrome isn't

Chromium is literally chrome so I don't know why you're all uppity about it

Could you see if you can install gdebi using the current software manager?

Once installed, try to install the chrome file you downloaded using gdebi. It should prompt you.

better than american botnet

If the steps worked then chrome is installed. Search for it.

Restart the terminal, not the entire system

Someone suggested Chromium. That's not "botnet free Chrome." It's just a more convenient option for you because all you have to do is open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

And life is good.

>noobuntu
install arch retard

Not because of the botnet retard. Google doesn't have a fucking repo. Use chromium.

I've used Chrome on Ubuntu no problem for years.

Just installed it.

Firefox has both screen tearing and no support for Netflix and I heard Chromium has it's fair share of problems.

Chrome on the other hand just werks.

Ok I understand, but I still have that question mark on dock.

Ok now, go to the chrome.deb file you downloaded if you did that is. And right click it and then open it using gdebi.

This is why I want Chrome, it has never ever wronged me. My favorite browser hands down.

>and I heard Chromium has it's fair share of problems.
Yet you are the only fair share of problem in this entire thread.

Stop being the problem. Do it, one goddamn line in the terminal, and actually try Chromium. See for yourself whether you hit any "fair share of problems." Don't make things harder on yourself by literally refusing to see for your own eyes whether vague rumors are true.

It's an operating system, not the Shi'ite ritual of self-flagellation with blades and chains.

In my personal experience opera works better than Chrome on Linux

Something is going wrong.

So right click it and get rid of it. Fuck the question mark. Then start chromium-browser from the terminal and pin that to the dock once it's open.

You already have it installed dude

How so?

The only difference between chrome and chromium is the license m8

I'm not OP, but I'll try it

No I don't nigga. And that god damn installing symbol is still there.

Welp, I'm at a loss. You could try to reinstall the package using gdebi or try Chromium or Opera like everyone else suggested.

Man fuck Linux, what a pain in the ass.

Open your terminal and enter the following:

dpkg -l | grep "chrom"

The response will be everything installed which has "chrom" in the name.

If you see any installed packages which look like they might be Google Chrome (like "google-chrome" or "chrome-browser" or something like that), run that command name in the terminal and see if Chrome opens.

restart the fucking machine

Runs better on limited hardware, built in adblock and vpn works decent too.

On Linux the best options are chromium or opera, or midori if you're on an old atom.

If op would stop being a guttershiet and actually do what people suggest then maybe he'd have a lot less problems on Linux

It's a pain in the ass because you are going out of your way to do shit wrong

I usually don't have any issues with stuff like this. Not sure what the problem could be.

Ubuntu isn't the problem here.

Got it up and running but I still have the issue with the installing symbol.

I am fucking doing what people are telling me dipshit. I literally did everything.

sudo apt-get purge unity
sudo apt-get autoremove
shutdown -r 0

There, no more symbol.

Doing this will break your system

Thanks

Haha clever little fucker, thanks for letting me know.

Nah system will be fine. He can always install unity again anyway.

In fact I bet uninstalling and reinstalling Unity will fix this issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Fuck off, reboot your pc if
is an issue you dicknugget.

But in this case the issue is op

>all this shit to install fucking chrome
year of the linux desktop

The issue is probably chrome itself

Everything else installs perfectly fine

ITT
>OP Has An issue installing Chrome
>op refuses to use any other browser
>op bitches about Linux instead of following anyone's advice
>op refuses to reboot
>op decides to quit Linux
>someone screenshots this for reddit

nice! haven't seen a desktop thread in a while

One post had the brief necessary instructions to install Chrome. The other 50 something are trying to install intelligence into OP.

>chrome

>sudo-apt install chromium-browser

run that in a terminal.

Seriously? sudo apt-get install libxss1 libgconf2-4 libappindicator1 libindicator7
Is it this?

I use Ubuntu mate and it's literally this simple.

>sudo apt-get install Midori

Those are sometimes necessary especially if you just fresh installed linux.

But typing in

>sudo apt-get install chrome-stable

Would have worked just fine

I use Ubuntu Unity and it's really this simple:

Fucking doubt it now

That's necessary because the dependencies--the additional pieces of code which Chrome needs for its functions--are not packaged together with Chrome. Those can be installed manually first via apt-get, and then the Chrome .deb package can be installed via dpkg.

There's also a way to get apt-get to work dependencies after the fact:
That was the "one post."

There's also yet another way to do this, which is to add the Google Chrome repository ("PPA") for which there are instructions online. Then you can just tell apt-get to install google-chrome-stable and it'll go fetch it itself.

Is the a chance that you are medically retarded?

Needs the repository.

howopensource.com/2011/10/install-google-chrome-in-ubuntu-11-10-11-04-10-10-10-04/

I've snorted to much coke, and smoked to much crack.

I got it to work. I'm just curious about another thing. I put install alongside Windows but it didn't make it's own partition.

The simplest way is to update the system to allow the system to sync with the repos and then download the chrome .deb, double click and install.
In some ways it's similar when you lack some .NET framework bullshit and you have to install it prior to the desired software.
Of course mentally damaged people like OP will have inmense trouble learning something new.

Show me what

df -h

says when you run it in terminal. This is a good terminal command for you to learn anyway.

Messed around and managed to bring it out but I don't know which of the two it is.

You have 16GB of RAM, right? I guess that because I see a 16GB partition. Ubuntu will automatically try to create a swap partition for you which is the same size as your RAM.

16 = swap
34 = ubuntu
NTFS stuff = windows, obviously

Try doing the df -h thing in Ubuntu so you can see how that displays this same information.

Yes I have 16GB of RAM. I really don't understand the other 30. I want one single partition and not those two.

A word of advice when dealing with previously unknown software.
READING DOESN'T HURT.

?

>ubuntu

u dun goofed

how can you be this fucking tech illiterate, is everyonefrom the Facebook generation like you?

that's not how linux works, you need multiple partitions for shit to work

it splits your drive into partitions for personal data, boot data, and swap space, along with other shit.

Swap isn't "space for you." It has a specific function for a Linux system. You should go look up what swap partitions are all about in order to understand why Linux made one for you.

The "other 30" is your space. It's where Linux lives and where it expects you to save files and stuff.

The remainder is what was left for Windows.

Nigga I have never messed with Linux, first time ever! Cut me a break, we learn something everyday.

Oh shit I get ya, thanks for having patience man, I appreciate your help. I understand now.
30GB should be good for me since it won't really need to hold much shit.
All I really need is Chrome, and Skype.

What are some things that are worth getting?

He's not THAT tech illiterate. At least he understands what drives and partitions are. He just doesn't understand why Ubuntu carved out the space that it did.

The Facebook generation is generally worse than him. They wouldn't understand the idea of operating systems sharing a disk at all.

>couldn't even install one of the most popular web browsers
>managing to fuck up installing with the gui
Yes he is.

>What are some things that are worth getting?
A girlfriend...

I'm pretty good with Windows, and general technology, but sadly I have not ever used Linux so I don't know much.

Nigga let's throw you in a situation that you have never been in and let's see how you do, cut it faggot.

I know people (not old people) who would never understand what a partition is or know what a torrent is. OP is doing fine.

GET THE FUCK OFF Sup Forums RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

Sadly I already have one :(

jus b urself dood

There's more than enough already on your system to play with and learn about. Don't worry about the rice shit for now.

You mean like when I first installed Linux? Then did 5 minutes research on what good apps to install, then installed them through cli because it's easy as fuck?

My first distro was Fedora 22, I've been told Ubuntu is easier than Fedora, so how'd you manage to fuck that up?

>sudo apt-get install chromium

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/55537140

Anons helped me with a guide for future reference.
Gonna rice soon.

All I had was this issue with Chrome not wanting to install.

let's cut OP some slack, he's fresh off the windows boat and is used to GUI installers and handholding

the fact that he's even trying is great, he shows more initiative to escape the botnet than most people

you'd be pissed off too if you asked for help and just got memes

>couldn't even install chrome
>wants to rice his desktop

Op isn't even old enough to post here

This. Thanks.

Haha whatever you say nigga.