Who's still on Windows 7?

Who's still on Windows 7?
Currently nothing convinces me to upgrade to Windows 10. I've tried it a few times but I kept going back to Windows 7.

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/%D0%9F%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8B-%D0%B8-%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D1%83%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B5-%D0%9E%D0%A1/Flex-10-downgrade-%D0%BD%D0%B0-windows-7/m-p/1807941#M140&sandbox=1
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/department-of-defense-standardizes-on-windows-10-certifies-surfaces/
forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2016/03/21/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-intel-skylake-support-cuts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install gentoo

nice meme lol xD

Something Happened.
And now I'm on windows fucking 8

How do you faggots feel to be using an inferior operating system?

me

And it's not even because of the botnet, W10 has no new features and the UI is a straight downgrade even from the already outdated 7 Aero.

me, Windows 7 works fine for me.

Yep.

Same here. 7 is just too perfect, probably the best Windows version ever created. "Upgrading" to an inferior version just because they give it for free would be pretty stupid.

why do people keep making these threads?

you're starting to be this board's vegans.

I'm only on windows 8 because my laptop doesn't support windows 7 ;_;

>my laptop doesn't support windows 7
what

8 is just vista with a new UI. In fact, there hasn't been anything new and major since vista, just improvements here and there. 8 and 8.1 can be called vista SP5 and 6, 10 you can just call it vista SP7.

7 reporting in. No reason to upgrade.

After I install windows 7 I just get a blue screen. It shows an error code but I googled it and couldn't find anything.

This. No reason to downgrade at all.

There is objectively no reason to "upgrade" to Windows 10.

>performance is the same or worse
>a few small features which you can get with 3rd party tools anyway
>ads, bloatware, spyware
>drivers that download and install on their own

Fuck Windows 10, seriously. At best it works just like Windows 7 at the end, but you need to spend two hours removing all kinds of garbage from it.

>
>After I install windows 7 I just get a blue screen. It shows an error code but I googled it and couldn't find anything.

What laptop is it? Can you boot into a live CD or live USB of Linux? It is very weird that you can't install Windows 7.

Installing windows 7 is supposed to be easy.

There's this russian forum that says at the bottom "We get answers to your request. It confirmed the fact that your computer does not support the installation of Windows 7 operating system."

translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/%D0%9F%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8B-%D0%B8-%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D1%83%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B5-%D0%9E%D0%A1/Flex-10-downgrade-%D0%BD%D0%B0-windows-7/m-p/1807941#M140&sandbox=1

I just want the classic theme

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10. I can install linux, I'm dual booting with ubuntu right now

I'm still on 7. Want to get linux though.

just upgrade to windows 10. If you don't like it you can go back to Win7 and next windows version will be free for you.

Yup me too, tried 10, brought nothing to the table, hated the UI and menu and it was acting up with my dev stack.
Back to 7, does all I need, everything is super compatible.

This is what you're missing:
- Security updates
- DirectX 12
- Full support/compatibility with current and future programs (Windows 7 will inevitably become deprecated)

Don't forget the botnet :^)

>W7 still gets support
>Playing games past 16
>Not an issue while w7 is still supported

> - Security updates
still got those until 2019

>- DirectX 12
kek video games, what am i a fucking kid?

>- Full support/compatibility with current and future programs (Windows 7 will inevitably become deprecated)
muh """""universal""""" apps, like I'm ever gonna want to use Windows Phone crap on my desktop

>This is what you're missing:
>- Security updates

Windows XP is still being supported

7 is trash
Vista is better and faster, and so is 8.

>- Security updates
False.
>- DirectX 12
I don't play any DX12 games, and most people don't.
>- Full support/compatibility with current and future programs (Windows 7 will inevitably become deprecated)
Yes, I'm sure developers are going to drop the most used Windows version (W7 marketshare continues to grow in the latest two months, by the way).

2/10 for the effort ;)

Already built-in to ALL versions of Windows.

When you use any proprietary software, you're sacrificing your security and privacy to the owner/holder of the proprietary license. Any version of Windows is probably full of back doors and "botnet"

W7Ultimate here also. I'm used to it and it does everything I want it to, I see no reason to switch.

I was mostly playing devil's advocate and attempting to think of all the best Windows 10 "features". I hadn't seen this image before my original reply, so I just assumed W7 wasn't getting updates/support.

Looks like Windows 7 is best until 2020.

>Windows 10
>end of mainstream support in 2020
Lol, que?

Installed win10 on my parents laptop and it made it pretty slow.. Considering installing linux or something.

Then it becomes just Windows, a subscription based service. Allegedly.

I hope you are getting your "updates" with just regedit hack. Because it is proven to do nothing on normal versions of XP.

p sure they said it'd be the last version in the past, im just as confused as you are

They'll extend it probably. Windows 7 still has 50% marketshare and windows 10, 15%. And this is the final month of the free upgrade. So windows 7 will still have significant marketshare in 2020, most likely.

You also refuse to play sports past the age of 16?

Something happened with Windows 10 update on my desktop. It was stuck in a loop of trying to install an update, then rolling back changes.
Tried literally everything in every guide to no avail. Now after trying to roll back changes yet again it can't even boot.

On every computer I've installed 10 it has sooner or later fucked itself, either in a small or a big way.
Before it became completely unusable the start menu started taking 1-2 seconds to open for no reason.
What the fuck is wrong with Microsoft?

Only update to 10 to get the key then restore your backup of 7.
10 can't be trusted as your main OS yet. Even 8.1 is rock solid in comparison.

>average 10 user

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/department-of-defense-standardizes-on-windows-10-certifies-surfaces/

Oh boy...

SOMETHING HAPPENED

This was pretty common with W7 and especially W8 (not W8.1). You just had to hard reset it during "update" and it rolled back just fine.

I'm still on Windows 7. I'm lazy and I don't want to mess shit up so why bother with something that works well.
And I used XP until 2010 I guess.

Tried that didn't werk. Deleted cache, used DISM.exe

Aside from the performance increase, right? 8.1 and 10 give me way better performance over 7.

Doubtful. You can't buy Windows 7 anymore so when most people buy a new computer, they'll be stuck with 10 most likely.

REASONS I'M NOT ON 10
>botnet
>ui looks like a diarrhoea dump of colors
AND THE WORST REASON
>कुछ हुआ

lol. The start menu takes sometimes 2 seconds to open. The new UI feels much less responsive than 7.

The difference is pretty big and new PCs aren't selling well (thanks to smartphones and tablets, and lack of incentives to buy new computers like the single core => dual core transition that happened in the 2000s, people keep their current computers longer than before), so I doubt W7 will drop significantly in the next years.

Intel doesn't support Win7 as of Skylake.
You can't install Win7 on an intel PC without injecting the setup with a shitload of drivers.

Opens right away for me... maybe you have a shit PC?

i said video games, not sports.

Guys, is 8.1 a botnet? Is it safe to update to 8.1?

I was until a week or so ago

Win10 isn't that bad, maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase though.

Also you can still buy Windows 7. And some manufacturers offer you the option of having W7 preinstalled in certain models, like Lenovo.

False.
forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2016/03/21/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-intel-skylake-support-cuts

>i-i-it works on my machine!

Win7 is fine. The only reason to upgrade to Win10 is for DX12, but luckily, Vulkan works fine on Win7.

I considered temporarily upgrading to 10 just to have the license and then going back to 7, but I'm upgrading my build in November so it would be pointless. Luckily I still have an unused Win7 key.

If you're on an actively updated version of win7, you're already in the botnet mate.

>False.
It's true. I couldn't install it on my skylake until I downloaded a Russian repack which somehow uses the windows 10 setup to install win7.

You actually installed a Russian warez OS. I have no idea how to respond to this.

I bet you didn't even boot the install media in UEFI mode.

I didn't update since late 2014. Fuckin microsoft botched 2 updates in a row and they's wouldn't let windows boot stuck in the infinite "updating windows" loop.

After that I disabled the update center alltogether. I use double firewall - one hardware and one software, so far I'm safe.

>I have no idea how to respond to this.

The key is to chose the language of the setup (not of the win install, only the setup language) - Russian. The malware only installs if you use English for installation. The setup is pretty self-explanatory so you won't even need to understand anything.

Then yes, upgrading to 8.1 will include you in the botnet since 7-10 all have telemetry with the latest updates.

>Using Windows update post SP1
Just do a clean sp1 install + firewall and you're safe.

What I'm asking is, will I be safe if I disable the botnet in windows 8.1 with firewalls, or does it find a way, like in win10?

Indeed it does work on my PC, and many others. Like I said, the problem sounds like it's on your side. Get over it and stop being such a loser.

And why exactly are video games any different than kicking a ball around like a child? Both are games, and since games seems to be childish to you (which they dont, you just hand pick video games as the childish one for some reason) most sports must as well.

Yes, that's why Windows 7 usage keeps growing even when Windows 10 is offered as an intrusive free upgrade. That's why MS had to admit they're far away from their estimated no. of upgrades goal. Because it's my PC fault.

Keep your shitty tablet OS for yourself, kid. Not everyone likes shit.

Me too. The only win machine is a hp pavilion d6 in the household, only used for torrenting/file sharing, after support ends for win7 it's going in the trash.

Sure am.

>o-o-on mine it doesn't so it's shit!

Yes, exactly.

After upgrading to 10 and using it for a bit I did a clean reinstallation of 7 and dual boot Ubuntu which I use as my main OS now.

Windows 10 is complete dogshit for everything but playing games. I'm using 7 for anything that requires windows from here on out.

this is correct.

You don't want to have Cortana, Telemetry, a fucking keylogger, Xbox and a ton of other shitty apps like mail and weather forced down your throat for no reason.

Windows isn't secure, it's not worth using period. End of discussion.

really why NOT use windows 98?

what are you, some fucking casual who needs graphics for your web browsing? there's nothing useful that can be done on a computer that can't be done on an 18 year old computer

I bought oem Windows 7 Pro on Amazon a few months back for $44 then upgraded and activated 10. Then I reinstalled 7 which I'll now have for three and a half more years at least while I'll use LInux to do better stuff.

I'm on Windows 9, personally

Don't forget to install Blackbird to remove telemetry and shieeet from win7.

av will probably freak out but just disable it during autopsy.

or you know, don't install every piece of shit update you find lying around and maybe hide the ones that mention windows 10 or telemetry points.

I never upgraded my computer to it from Vista, I tried 10 Consumer Preview, and then switched to Arch.

7 didn't change enough things to make me switch, and Vista looked better in my opinion.

7 (aka NT 6.1) also started the stupid tradition to bump system versions up, which I don't like.

Windows 7+ Ubuntu for my neural network hobbyist needs.

Nice fallacy, retard. Try arguing the point next time, loser.

Who's still on Windows XP?
Currently nothing convinces me to upgrade to Windows 7. I've tried it a few times but I kept going back to Windows XP.

Me.

No way will I ever upgrade to 10. Everything works perfectly, no reason to upgrade at all.

When you use FOSS software you assume someone else has vetted the code, which they always do, just like truecrypt... oh fuck, no one checked that.

Being scared of proprietary software is dumb, since you give your ISP access to what you're doing.

Show your desktop.

I miss XP

Is this legit? locked skylake OC'd running XP

Windows 8.1 really is so comfy. It's got the slight modernism of 10 (task manager, ribbons, etc) yet the classic feel of 7.

>tfw it actually has a decent, mostly consistent UI to top it all off

on Hyper-V, yes

Just installed 10 on both desktop and laptop. Fuck this, I'm going back to 7. People actually defend this mess? GOD.

EVERY SECURITY UPDATE IS 100$ CRITICAL THIS IS AN UNDENIABLE FACT.

DON'T QUESTION THIS AGAIN. WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

Don't forget the emoticon. It makes error messages much less scary and totally speaks to us, the young people, in our language.

this

now they have your hardware id attached to your account. Soon you will receive a personal message asking you why would go back to a previous version.

Jokes on them. I DIDN'T USE THEIR ACCOUNT.

>doesn't know about [email protected]
if Windows 10 has been in your PC they already know about you.

I don't like the direction Windows is going so I'll be on 7 for as long as I can. Microsoft want the Apple audience where everything has a child safety lock on it and is completely retard proof. Once I'm forced to upgrade it'll be Linux distro for everyday and Windows for things I can't do on Linux.

You don't have to install those updates dumbfuck.

>When you use FOSS software you assume someone else has vetted the code
No, I don't. When I use FOSS, I know that anyone can vet the code.

With non-FOSS, no one can vet the code or be assured that they aren't using some form of malware/spyware.

>just like truecrypt
I don't know what you're referring to, but AFAIK it still works fine, and there are FOSS forks/derivatives of it being actively maintained.

>Being scared of proprietary software is dumb, since you give your ISP access to what you're doing.
This is like saying "Anyone can break a lock, so you mind as well not use locks. Just leave your doors unlocked at all times."

I have 7 on my desktop and I'm not taking up Microsoft's generous offer. Also, my next desktop will be built for a Linux-based system.