software raid drains system

the one built in already in mobo

I prefer SCSI

Linux md

Why?

youtu.be/nLXJQNuZ1JI?t=1466

Raid is a meme.

Completely depends on the requirement.

Software RAID is usually faster in all SSD systems but Hardware RAID with Caching often works better with HDD's.

IBM 1015

The best ones cost thousands. You're better off using software RAID or just using whatever card fits your budget. I use a cheap PCIe x4 card and it's fine just for a JBOD setup. Regardless, always have backups outside of that PC.

Depends on hardware.
Some are shitty cards that use driver to run aka fake raid.
Some have dedicated CPU with onboard RAM, this is the "real" raid card.

IBM 1015, Dell H200/H310. Flash them to IT mode with guides.

>pci raid controller
>raid 0 on a bus with a max transfer speed on 133MBps
>lel iz slow
Gee I wonder why?

Most affordable "hardware" raid controllers are actually fake raid. They act as hardware raid to get windows to install but then use the cpu.
Software raid allows tuning and is more powerful than hardware by virtue of using a more powerful processor. Not to mention software raid works regardless of the controller used and works across controllers.

If you build with a celeron.

Holy shit, why would you raid0 modern disks on pci!?

In it mode. They don't have the capacity to perform striping on their own. (Raid0 3 SAS 10k drives: 100mb/s; do the same in software: 300mb/s)

Even the shittiest haswell celeron you can buy, hell even shit atoms, are overkill for dealing with disks. Hell, I still run a 10TB ZFS array on a atom supermicro board and it is more than enough to saturate the 2gbps network.
The cheapest shit with sata ports you can get and a software solution is more than good enough.

You can find often rebranded LSI or Adaptec raid controllers in storage systems from Dell, HP and Supermicro. There is also Areca but they are rarely used in high end devices.
Bullshit, new high end raid controllers from LSI or Adaptec costs here like 400-600€.
I disagree: EMC uses "cheap" dual core cpus for some of theis sans.