So I've always OC'ed all of my CPUs (p4, e6600 and i5 750) without issues...

So I've always OC'ed all of my CPUs (p4, e6600 and i5 750) without issues, and today I want to get myself a new PC so I'm looking at Skylake.

So what the fuck even happened in the last years? From what I gather, you can't overclock CPUs unless you buy the unlocked version, called "K"?

So what? I can't get a i5 6400 and overclock it to be just as good as a i7 6700K like we used to? If it's just the multiplier that's locked surely I can still increase vcore and base frequency, no?

Am I looking at this wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/asrock-gets-around-non-k-skylake-overclocking-limits-again/
gamersnexus.net/guides/2099-intel-chipset-comparison-z170-h170-h110
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you can still do that yes. unlocked multiplier is more stable

Think of it this way.

You can run through a pit of fire. You can.
Just that K will give you some fire resistant shoes.

You have to get an AMD CPU if you want to OC.

i need dis

You can overclock bclk but it will give you only 100 extra mhz. Or you could find one of the few motherboards which can unlock cpu multiplier. But you will need to flash some outdated/modded bios and your cpu will lose thermal monitoring, power saving features and avx. Loss of avx will severely cripple cpu perfomance.

there is no reason for getting a unlocked i5

aw shit it's really that bad?
i5 6600K is the best way forward then? that's a bummer, 6400 is not even 200€

Buy a Xeon E5 1230 v5 (also skylake,equals i7)
And Asrock E3V5 Fatality Gaming/OC-board
it is the only board that can overclock skylake xeons and has a separate bclock generator -> microcode updates do not destroy its overclocking capabilities like in the Z170-chipset boards that have that skylake bclock-oc bios.

1230 v5 xeon is also cheaper than 6700k

pcgamer.com/asrock-gets-around-non-k-skylake-overclocking-limits-again/

Asrock is not only one doing this.
Have fun.

and i have to add that e3 1220 v5 is the i5 comparable model,about 200 euros,the 1230 is around 270 from mindfactory

Times changed, old man, wtf is vcore even lmao
Get with the times and buy a hektik SkyLake K for enhanced gaming

Xeons do not work in z-170 motherboards,and the microcode updates to windows will destroy the bclock overclocking of non k processors

that Asrock is the only board that has a C232 chipset and can overclock xeons

Sounds pretty interesting, I'll read up on that, thanks. The Z170 chipset seems a little bit janky to me already, I was looking at boards with 2xM.2 slots for futureproofing and I could not get a spec sheet telling me clearly how many lanes they have anywhere, but rather people whining on forums that the chipset can't handle that stuff, more reading to do on that.

no m.2 on that asrock sadly

You can overclock the 6400. It's a pain in the ass however because you have to get the right mobo and the right bios. There might also be some windows updates that will disable your overclock so you'll have to avoid those.

Modern intel are shit for this and other reasons.

Wait for Zen.

Yeah that was my plan... but fuck now that I made my mind up about getting a new pc it's so hard to wait.

Like a fucking kid I swear. I haven't bought anything yet so there's hope.

It's not just the shitty overclocking, though, it's the lack of multiple full M.2 support in the chipset, lack of USB3.1, etc.

Honestly just get an i5-2500k and a SATA SSD and enjoy that until zen

Any overclock potential that chip might have, is thrown out of the window thanks to TIM'd IHS (something not present on those chips you mentioned, well except for netburst ones, some of them have TIM'd IHS too).

That's interesting, I was wondering the same thing. Do they have 2 * 4 dedicated lanes each or is it like 4 dedicated for the both of them so you drop down to 2 + 2 when you have 2 devices in, like SLI and XFire with memecards.

I tried looking at one MSI board and got literal cancer from their website, had to go to bed.

I'm buying for the next 6-10 years desu, I'm trying to get the cream of the current crop so I'd rather wait some more than buy "old" tech.
Technically my i5 750 works just fine, I'm getting a new pc for pleasure.

I have an fx-8350 and it doesn't over clock for shit. I can get a stable 4.2ghz but anything after that is stable for an hour at the most. Of all the CPUs I've overclocked, AMD fx series is the worst.

Then wait for the platform from a company that isn't shit and that will come with all of the modern features already in the chipset.

avx is useless for most applications.

>fx series
This makes me doubt you know anything on the subject.

> I can get a stable 4.2ghz but anything after that is stable for an hour at the most
And upping vcore doesnt help? Or stabilizing it with LLC?

AVX is intrisics like SSE and all that stuff right? You can "disable" that somehow? I had no idea, thought it was hardwired in the cpu itself.

>wait
>for a company that isnt shit
pic related is OP taking your advice

there is no reason to even want to overclock modern intel processors, they are already perfect

btw OP im running my i5 6400 at 4.4ghzand my benchmark results are on par with an i5 6600K. it was unstable at 4.5ghz due to the 2400mhz ram so I lowered the bclk to 163 and it's been rock stable ever since. zero problems

What's the point when it won't even match stock intel performance?

Do not wait for Zen:
>It wont have soldered heatspreader
It will have 'south bridge' on the cpu, which will mean two things:
>POST times will be horribly long, just like on AM1
>Mobo manufacturers will save every penny on the boards and so there wont be any with decent VRM
>If the engineering sample leaks are real, it wont clock high
>Sandy Bridge level IPC or higher is not fact yet either, and if its worse, its literal gargabe

gamersnexus.net/guides/2099-intel-chipset-comparison-z170-h170-h110

I want to hope. We need Intel to eat a dick every now and then.

>it won't have soldered heatspreader
What, like in 1995?

>we need Intel to eat a dick every now and then
edgy 12 year old detected.

op please all you need is an old/modified bios and you can oc non k chips.

AMD hasn't delivered in years. They are years behind intel/nvidia.

I did a safe oc of my 6600k multiplier to 4.3 without voltage increase

I should fiddle with my bclk now that you say that

No, that's how the market works. Monopolies (not the board game) are not healthy to the end consumer (that's us).

it's just intel being (((((intel)))))

But they did deliver in the past. Perhaps you're too young to remember?

For now intel, or wait for zen...
Intel will be cheaper by then, and amd will probably be about 2/3 the price of an Intel card.