Fuck amd64, I want to run Linux on a desktop arm64 already

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.softiron.co.uk/product/overdrive-1000/
lenovator.com/product/103.html
shop.softiron.co.uk/product/overdrive-3000/
github.com/96boards/96BoardEECase
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

so, do it?

Unless I am doing something wrong, there are no ARM64 consumer cpus, none show up on pcpartpicker at least.
That's what I meant, I want to be able to build my own machine from parts and use an arm64 cpu.

The LeMaker Cello would be up your alley, if they ever release it.

It is still too soon. Don't worry, ARM will win on the longrun.

i'm sure 2017 will be the year of the linux desktop too =)

>=)
You have to go back.

>power consumption per instruction is actually worse than x86 when scaled
Have fun with that

Fuck arm64, I want to run Linux on a desktop risc-v already

this t b h

Why would any manufacturer want to release a SoC that isn't soldered to the mobo?
Buy rpi3, you'll waste less money to realize that these things are useless.

>worrying about scaling on a desktop
wut
why
thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Who cares? When they do come out they're going to use a ton of proprietary blobs that you can't boot without like current higher end ARM SBCs.

>scaling from mobile to desktop
The cavium does less while consuming more power than a comparable x86. Same for the amd a1100.

/bread

Just don't be a faggot and buy a compute stick then, at least it has less shitty linux driver suport than most ARM stuff out there.

For reference the a1270 has a 32w tdp and barely beats the atom c2750. The xeon d series crushes both.

Why ARM? Go POWER, MIPS, SPARC, etc.

b-b-b-but muh x86 PC gaymes!!!

Tegra X1 has a TDP of 15W and it rapes atoms.

Fuck ARM and fuck OP.

I wish Oracle wasn't a bunch of jews and would push SPARC back into the desktop again, Blade 2500s and Ultra 45s aren't getting any younger.

Go to 96boards and order one faggot
I asked for a reference A72 board from ARM (Juno) but they didn't wanna give me, they only sell in bulk to companies l0l

AMD Opteron A1100
4x Cortex-A57 cores

$600

shop.softiron.co.uk/product/overdrive-1000/

$299
lenovator.com/product/103.html

SoftIron will guarantee your board will work in 24/7 operations like an actual server.

Lenovator's is a prototyping board (no guarantees whatsoever other than it boots and you can do stuff on it sometimes).

>guarantee your board will work
>AMD

???

ARM CPU don't have to be in SoCs.

>POWER, MIPS, SPARC, etc.
HAHAHAHA
Those are all dead on the desktop. MIPS hasn't been done since early 2000s SGI, SPARC since about the same time, and POWER has that vaporware thing, the TALOS.

those all have new processors and boards but they're either too expensive or abysmal performance (creator CI20 kit for example) I guess it's really ARM vs x86 now

Does it have an HDMI port or a PCIe slot?

Ci20's a pretty great board

>HDMI
No

>PCIe slot
You have to pay more.
You can put a GPU on it though.

shop.softiron.co.uk/product/overdrive-3000/

this

Please show me, I'd love to be wrong.

What's with people using this ARM meme on a desktop?

Do you enjoy eating shit from your own 2 hands?

Are you so poor that you can't afford a ~$100 AM1 desktop build?

What's with people using this x86 meme on the desktop?

>arm
>desktop
eh?

d e s u

I might get the LeMaker Cello once there is an affordable case. The only case right now is 3D printed:
github.com/96boards/96BoardEECase

I got quotes from a few 3D printing services and it's about $100-$150...

Against mobile class atoms, sure. The c2750 is server class. It's comparable to a cheap i3.

Oracle just released a new 32-core SPARC chip a few months ago

The atom c2750 runs at 12w less than the highest model for comparable performance.

>arm vs x86
Only in the low end market.
Arm manufacturers keep pushing for arm servers but it'll never happen. Arm consistently performs worse at the same power consumption.

I don't know, maybe because it lets you use premium x86 software that does more than launch angry birds in a 2D vydia? Just a guess though.

sparc is a whole load of shit these days

>Arm consistently performs worse at the same power consumption.
That's an understatement.

pic related: has the multi-core performance of a stock i7-5960X and a TDP of just 65W.

Enjoy mandatory $10,000/yr Oracle hardware support contract on top of $20,000 you paid upfront for hardware.

Ok great. Where can I buy it and what motherboard supports it?

Nice pentz AKA quints