Bash on windows

>bash on windows
This is a gamechanger, isn't it? Perhaps Microsoft one day will provide full POSIX support.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsystem_for_UNIX-based_Applications
linux.com/learn/howdy-ubuntu-windows-intro-canonicals-dustin-kirkland
gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Non_002dGNU-Standards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Windows NT used to have full POSIX support.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsystem_for_UNIX-based_Applications

Not enough people used it to continue development.

>Perhaps Microsoft one day will provide full POSIX support.
That day was in 1994 senpai

It is. It's still in beta but I managed to upgrade to Xenial and now I'm compiling a full Win32 project on it.
Probably the best feature Microsoft have ever added to its system.

the Canonical guy still can't believe it

linux.com/learn/howdy-ubuntu-windows-intro-canonicals-dustin-kirkland

>Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

If you accept this, you deserve totalitarianism.

Friendly reminder we're going to see Windows 10 shills in full force, desperately trying to convince us superior W7/8.1 users to downgrade to 10.

Reminder that you can get a full POSIX environment *today* on any Windows OS using Cygwin.

Microsoft knows what's best for the user, also I don't see how adding support for open-sores software is a bad thing?

Its not taking anything away from linux

Memes literally older than your mom's husband

>Look at these faggots calling bash to everything!

more people using free software more probable is bugs will be found and fixed, more developers will start contributing and proprietary alternatives will die
for gnu/linux users is a sweet deal and microsoft is doing all the hard work for us and paving its way to irrelevance
thank you microsoft!

>Reminder that you can get a full POSIX environment *today* on any Windows OS using Cygwin.
That emulated shit is no replacement.

Haha u cucks been saying that '92

that's like saying "you can get full macOS on Windows *today* using a virtual machine"
kys

Nice. Finally I won't have to use Linux anymore. The command line was the only thing keeping me there.

no, UNIX shell is fucking garbage

the fact that they chose the worst UNIX-like shell kind of says something about their goal here

not
>make something good
more like
>attract idiots that switched to linux to be edgy back to windows

Except it's not emulated. Do your homework first, kid. Cygwin uses native Windows system calls and Win32 executables. Meanwhile, Windows 10 Linux uses ELF executables and a layer that translates Linux syscalls into Windows syscalls.

So yes, it's W10 Linux the one that's emulated ;)

nah it's mapping lunix to native API the same way it maps win32/64 API to native. "Native" API is a unpublished internal kernel API not Win32.

>linux is cancer
>we now support cancer, please use our shitty spyware OS!
we are doing well pajeet, don't worry

>unix shells sucks
>bash is the worst
but still is the most used shell in the world, it really makes you think, uh?
get your shit together microshills, you're throwing spaghetti all around
just admit the unix toolchain is infinitely better than the windows one and microsoft is losing developers and desperate about it

The Linux subsystem is basically the UNIX subsystem on steroids.

lol someone's GNU/salty

>Microsoft one day will provide full POSIX support.
Holy shit, what a meme

It's not "Bash on Windows", it's the Windows Linux Subsystem running Ubuntu with bash as the (expected) default shell and because no other shell functions properly (though that may have changed by now, who knows).

>but still is the most used shell in the world
Probably because it's the default shell included with GNU/Linux distributions and you are never given a choice during OS install to install something else.

You know, that reminds me of something else done by another company. Can't quite put my finger on it.

>Microsoft knows what's best for the user
t. Cuck

>not knowing that bash is the default on macOS too
>implying changing the default shell is difficult
>comparing a good piece of software with IE unironically
in the loo please

>given option during install
If you can't figure out how to install a different shell, do the world a favor and kill yourself.

1994 called, they say you're still underage.

most people don't know different shells exist.

why would they try to install a new one?

Exactly, so why give them an option that'd just confuse them?

The entire argument behind mac.

>>implying changing the default shell is difficult
>>If you can't figure out how to install a different shell
>Completely missing the point
You aren't given an option to change your shell when installing the OS and a newbie to GNU/Linux won't even know that different shells exist.

So the comparison to IE is apropos.

Microsoft can see the writing on the wall. They know Windows 10 is shit, so they used unpopular and forceful tactics to get market share, consequences be damned; they had to stop the bleeding temporarily. Android has taken root in the mobile space, and game developers are rebelling and moving to Vulkan (DX12 is really the only feature Win10 has that is worth shit). So their new strategy is simply to make Windows compatible with Linux. Simple, yet effective. My hat is off to them for actually deciding to go through with it. I wouldn't be surprised if someday 20 years from now Windows was just a proprietary Linux DE.

The problem is that they built this thing on some new kernel stuff like microservices and etc which have no Win32 subsystem interoperability, which means any application you build in the Linux subsystem can't interact with Windows applications, making it useless outside of toy projects.

Their older Subsystem for POSIX was actually better because had that been improved to have better POSIX compatibility, all you would have to do is tinker and recompile your Unix applications to have it work on it and it could talk to native Windows applications too.

>hey, windows is posix now, you can use all your posix-compatible applications on windows!
>microsoft develops extension to, say, nginx, so you can run .NET webapps with it
>this extension, initially, can be used on all OSes, and a lot of software is developed around it
>MS says that "due to big differences between architectures between systems, maintaining a cross-platform extension is inviable, and now said extension can only be used on the Windows POSIX subsystem"
>effectively cross-platform software become windows-only software

not an amazing example, but it could happen

GNU uses MS tactics (embrace, extend, extinguish). Bash contains many "handy" extensions (read: syntax sugar) that are incompatible with other shells, and linux retard culture encoruages bash scripts to be written with a /bin/sh header because "lol, it's GNU plus linux". Only debian doesn't use Bloated And Slow Hell as sh, everyone else does (which is largely why shellshock was a big deal instead of a neat trick. that, and dns scripts using bash instead of a real language).

Just use a different shell, right? Well, if you're going to keep bash installed as /bin/sh, go right ahead.

It's the same with glibc+gcc. They break the standard, morons use it because they think it's how you program for linux, and then you GNU/Need GNU/garbage.

GNU is cancer. That was always stallman's intent. A cancerous brand that forces everything out, as long as it forces out something proprietary, anything proprietary, at any cost (ie: software that's not shit).

>They break the standard
citation

Shit outside the standard is breaking the standard. It defeats the point of a standard.

>I don't know what I'm talking about
just say so

Poo in loo

>I don't know what the GNU C extensions are
>I don't know what a bashism is
>please write a fucking essay for me, i can't use google

>I'm dumb as bricks
we can tell

>Ubuntu bashing in...
>3...
>2...
>1...

>I have no argument against GNU's harmful design practices
>so i'm just going to say your argument is invalid because you wouldn't spoonfeed me
>-you

Don't you have a BSD thread to bash good operating systems in?

>homework

fuck off nerd

>literally retarded
everyone knows already

Apple did it first guys

and did it wrong. Hombrew just sucks

>His favorite group of political radicals was outed as being militant programmers
>He's resorting to teenage girl tier insults like "other people dislike you"

We, we, we, everyone, they, people. Who cares? I'm a man, baby. Trying to convince me of a made up social status problem isn't going to be very effective in making me feel or think anything but "wow, this faggot is fucking retarded". Testosterone means your worth comes from within, so slightly more effective language would be "YOU ARE" not "OTHER PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE". When insulting a man, state it as a fact, not a collection of opinions. Otherwise, you're going to get poked fun at for being a pathetic little bitch.

This is bullying 101.

Anyways, I'm really sorry that your favorite group of commie autists is a hive of moronic scumbags who would rather have a communist empire with shit everything than a capitalist utopia with quality products. Really sorry.

Homebrew is rubyshit for people who are too dumb to use pkgsrc

They do this with make, too. Fucking assholes.

The end result is
>BSD and other UNIX users wonder why trivial linux junk is sometimes difficult to port
>GNU feels proud of themselves because they're contributing to the slow demise of OSes that have little to do with GNU

I can't tell if you think that's a positive or a negative, but unportable software is objectively junk.

You can already run .NET on Linux with .NET Core, so who cares.

I agree.

Windows will someday be a Linux Distro.
It will be less than 20 years.

Actually, it will probably be a BSD.

SOrry about the slip-up.

>proprietary
>software that's not shit
pick one, cuck

photoshop

wouldn't surprise me that they have moved their entire development across to linux, this year
they have ceased to develop win 10
where the hell is it going?

their software base is a mess .. it's 2016 & nobody knows what their desktop looks like

their browser is a mess .. they are latching onto viability like a drowning man with flotsam. Linux is the only OS that floats viably on the web

they abandoned "midori" last year - after 15 years ~ they understand that they cannot develop their own microkernel

i prefer GNU make. I like the added features. bash is shit except for very specific usecases (not because of GNU, but because sh is ancient and flawed and it fucking shows).
GNU is not Unix. It aspires to be more than that, and sometimes it even manages.
And don't give me that portability shit, I would never argue against relying on implementation specific features where you obviously can't.
Most things I do on a machine stay on that machine or belong to my machines only. People need to start making a cleaner distinction between an end user and a content provider level, because that is what separates a valid point from a cat -v level of autism.

yes fuck anyone who doesn't use linux, right

did you even read my post
okay let me put it in a simple binary tree for you

>is the thing you work on relevant to anything but you?
--No-> use GNU tools if you prefer (e.g. GNU Make)
>-Yes-> does it make sense outside a full GNU/Linux system?
--No-> use GNU tools
>-Yes-> are you intending on publishing it for others to use?
--No-> use whatever makes sense.
--Yes-> for fuck's sake just use mk aka the most basic standard you can find.

I should not need to explain this, as a reasonable person you should already know that

>use GNU tools if you prefer
>if you prefer
>prefer
see that's where you're wrong, if i have to install gmake on BSD to compile software, something is wrong, isn't it?

In that case someone fucked up big time and did not follow the binary tree above. As a dev of any kind one should have some basic common decency to not make unnecessary assumptions about a user's setup, but you can't sincerely blame that on GNU.

>sincerely blame that on GNU.
i can, look at this link:
they intentionally violate standards and encourage people to do it.

user, if you look closely that too is included in my binary tree above.
>>does it make sense outside a full GNU/Linux system?
they are talking about GNU coding standards, that is the standard for writing GNU code for the GNU system. It's self-contained by design.

and yet everyone writes by these "standards"

GNU software and people do not encourage sane ways to write software

>and yet everyone writes by these "standards"
if that is the case people are doing it wrong unless they really intend on writing GNU software, which of course is nice, but not always what you really want. People applying incorrect standards is nothing new though, and definitely not restricted to GNU. Personally I would of course discourage using the GNU standard outside of it's intended realm. Obviously the same is true the other way around you see, within a GNU (and GNU only) project it makes little to no sense abiding to any other standard for the sake of it.

>Microsoft knows what's best for the user,
this statement is laughably, demonstrably untrue.

is exactly right. Microsoft aren't stupid.

I'm just glad they're taking ubuntu with them and not something important like Red Hat. Ubuntu diverged from being a good linux years ago, and I really don't care if they fuck up their unity DE to make things easier on the microsoft side.

>implying Red Hat is good Linux

it's fundamentally not the same. Cygwin isn't virtualised. Cygwin is a compat layer, and everything needs to be built natively.

From what I understand of microsoft's efforts here, they're actually implementing that compatibility in the kernel, so no layers, just running linux binaries natively.

RHEL (+ Oracle), and SLESset the gold standard for Linux in any environment that isn't your shitty chinkpad. but go ahead, tell me how arch or some other shit is so much better.

Anything that doesn't use systemd is better than Poettering Linux.

Also, this is Sup Forums. Gentoo is the gold standard around these parts.

As said before, Windows already had POSIX support, also cygwin has existed for decades. This is literally non-news.

Bash on windows isn't going to make windows free software, nor will it make window snot a spyware OS, nor will it fix the horrible cultural problems MS has.

>Powershell hyped
>see, it can pipe object unlike others
>cmd are obsolete !!!
>better than bash !!!
And we all know nobody use powershell interactively.

>bash on windows
>look, can run linux program natively
>linux is dead !!!
It can't even run an exe...

Ubuntu 14.04 running entirely inside Windows 10. What a time to be alive.

>Also, this is Sup Forums. Gentoo is the gold standard around these parts

I doubt 90% of the people on this shitty board could actually install gentoo without following the guide word for word.

I hate systemd too, but I'm not retarded enough to believe that means RHEL is disqualified as best linux.

powershell syntax are a mess and unintuitive

I've been using the Insider Preview builds on my work PC and it's damn nice. I get to have Outlook and I get to have RSAT and I get my roaming profile and all that things about Windows that don't blow donkey dick, but bash is there for when I need the flexibility. I work in Windows and use Windows programs, but I also have a bash console open at all times.

It's the only thing MS have done in the last five years that wasn't a terrible decision.

t. Guy who has never scripted anything in powershell ever