Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/07/22/technology/the-long-final-goodbye-of-the-vcr.html
templeos.org/Wb/Doc/Demands.html
viaembeddedstore.com/systems/arm-systems.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

web forums

;_;

I never owned one myself..

I did. It was awesome. Totally gone, though.

I still have one somewhere. It was awesome. Recorded shitloads of concerts from a mixing board with it.

>It was awesome
please tell me about it. I was too poor for that shit when it was still a thing.

nytimes.com/2016/07/22/technology/the-long-final-goodbye-of-the-vcr.html

[F]

I'll sell you one for $500

Laptops really are dying out, Tablets and phones are more portable and there really is no point in owning what is really nothing more than an under powered desktop computer.

You are full of shit.

t. Software engineering student

It was actually incredible, it just didn't have a really long run because mp3 started to appear

those minidiscs look high tech aesthetic as fuck.

they look JUSt like the 80's and 90's told me the future would look.

I CAN FIX IT

/Thread

to me the most important feature was the recording quality and the compactness. I had mine in 2000, as I said I taped gigs with it. Afterwards you connected it to your PC and transferred the audio realtime, without loss of quality.

I had to google for my model, was exactly this. Got it from 'murrica. Fuck, this brings up memories...

>had to be said

I always wanted one but I was a poor kid back then.

WOULD FAP TO THAT

that thing looks fantastic.

I wanted to post that Tux logo but then remembered that it never was alive in the first place.

flash.jpg

Full CD fits on a disk. Digital recording with optical cable from CD player. Automatic track division. Record from MIC or other analog audio source. Name tracks. Edit tracks. All on a portable player.

I recorded a lot from FM radio. A 6 second buffer made sure you got the whole thing when you hit the record button after recognising the song you wanted to get.

At school I stuffed my pockets full with disk s. Shit was cash.

Still lots of industrial applications.

Any examples? I think it's too unreliable to be safely used in industrial applications unless it's a very old and specifically refined application for compatilibity's sake.

absolutely.

Also, when I got mine, audio CD protection was all the rage, copying CDs were very difficult. Now you connected this to your audio player's RCA outputs and bam.

literally who? how can it be dead when it was never alive?

>student

CNC equipment. That stuff is hugely expensive and smaller businesses will do anything to expand the life of those machines.

not yet.

Now that's some sexy tech

Whoever actually thinks this has absolutely no knowledge about technology and should kill themselves.

for the masses, a laptop is too big and not worth the potential for the extra performance.

don't need a laptop for browsing the web, watching videos and shit like that.

There are small laptops too, you know.

for what reason?

why do you think IBM gave all it's employees an ipad?

thats not dead technology, thats iterative tech, just a new version is out.

Same reason my company did: tax-deductible Christmas present.

If all you do is consume, then I agree with you.

If you produce anything or doing anything beyond normie-tier insta browsing then you are flat out wrong.

>If you produce anything or doing anything beyond normie-tier insta browsing then you are flat out wrong.
meaning: for the MAJORITY of people: Laptop has no use

oqo
please someone make a modern version

And for the majority of people who browse this board you are wrong.

Majority of people have jobs.
I don't know anyone who doesn't own a laptop.

windows 7

>people who browse this board
who cares? in general, laptops are dead. it's not like the Sup Forums crowd has enough say on the market.

To be fair it was never really alive

I honestly don't know anyone who prefers a tablet or mobile device all the time, I hang out with mostly 9-5ers between 20 and 40.

Most of the kids I know still prefer to use their laptop at home, and most old people I know prefer tactile keys to a touchscreen.

I really don't know where this tablet majority is coming from that is nullifying every person I've ever met.

good luck programming or doing anything productive on a tablet or smartphone

>that feel when CRT
It hurts.

>CRT
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Let's do 10 dollars

>Tablets and phones

>implying flyback whine is audible in PC CRT monitors with horizontal scanning frequencies far above the range of human hearing

>implying other coil whine isn't still a common thing in all kinds of electronics including computers and LCD monitors etc.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll admit I had a bit of a giggle.

>posting Goebbels' comic
Hell has a special place your your kind

well that's not why IBM did it, they had a partnership with Apple, to push the usage of ipads in client meetings rather than laptops.

My mobo has a parallel port header

Somewhat related:
templeos.org/Wb/Doc/Demands.html
> Until super-simple serial ports are available, PS/2 emulated keyboard and mouse must work. The BIOS must enable these.

Everytime you use a console/PC videogame UI from 2010 onwards you're likely using Flash.
See: scaleform, adobe air

Because IBM doesn't give a fuck about its employees

WHAAAAAAAAAA

desktops might be dying out for the standard user.
but laptops will still be around for a long time.
Poeple have realized that tablets are shit, and just stick with whatever laptop they have because it's good enough to browse the web and watch cat videos.

Dot matrix printers are all over the fucking place in small businesses

>there really is no point in owning what is really nothing more than an under powered desktop computer.
You can't take a desktop with you anywhere in the house or to work or wherever else to do normalfag shit like spreadsheets, documents, emails longer than a twitter post, whatever. Desktops are what will die on the traditional consumer space, not laptops.

Firewire, surprised that nobody mentioned it.

PCI ;_;

>not having parallel and serial ports in your computer

Don't most motherboards still have a serial header on them even if they don't have the port on the back?

that tech is still gestating. As he says, it's never been alive so it can't die.

Yes, but I got a card so that I could have multiple ports. I use it for programing my radios with CHIRP.

Gone, but never forgotten.

BEECWUZ

It's dead because of the price. AR in general will likely be a success.

we still use one at work for our fax server.

built like a motherfucking tank.

Is that a WF3 780Ti? And why 2 GPUs, same GPU?

>laptops really are dying out

Nice meme, nvidiot.

Scott Adams here. Please delete this post. I am a big fan of the Cintiq® Companion™ and do not want my work associated with anti-tablet opinions. Thank you.

Man, I miss electrical current stabilizers.

Basically they were these big converter boxes that saved your electrical equipment from being fucked by surges in the shitty East Bloc era electrical grid. Strangely it only happened to TV sets, as I don't remember needing one of these for my fridge or oven.

Man, communism was fucking weird.

jokes on you we still use them in my country

At work, we have plotters and cutting machines that use that port.
We find more on older machine, but we still get some brand new machines that use parallel.

You are retarded

Laptops are alive and well

>I can perceive the difference between interrupt driven and 125-1000Hz polling
Fucking vidya woo

Kek.. And why is such a fag ass hole about everything like jeez

God I wish these things would fucking die out. I work with CF-30's; they are awful. The touch screens are worthless, even more so since "upgrading" to Windows 7 broke the calibration software. The keyboards, fucking christ, the keyboards...

Only thing worse are GETACs. Like tying in jello.

I desperately need one of those things since power outages happen depressingly often here.

non-x86 desktops

what if you just get a good power strip?
maybe a good psu?

viaembeddedstore.com/systems/arm-systems.html