Why is Cyanogenmod is free?

Why is Cyanogenmod is free?
Why is gnu/linux free ?

>tfw you'll never know how to make curry on your own
>you'll always be dependent on that indian place for the $5 curry/$1naan meal

why is

Giving software away is a good way to get people interested in your software so that you can get your name out there.

Not everybody ends up getting employed so they continue to write free software.

For example, Steve Kondik from Cyanogenmod got hired by Samsung. The rest of his team are still working on Cyanogenmod in the hopes of getting a real job.

There are some questions that you should never ask, user.

But if you want to pay for them there is Cyanogen OS and RedHat Linux.

Bacause is made for poor people. Both cases.

ONIONS NUGGA LOTS AND LOTS OF ONIONS
but still 5$ / 1 $ nan no top no tax is LEGIT

My local Indian place is like 16 dollar curry 4 dollars naan

Living in the Midwest man

Free as in freedom, not gratis necessarily.

RedHat isn't gratis.

Is that a piece of shit on that rice? Fucking towelhead savages...

And get some sort of disease? No thank you! I will just stick to eating normal, civilized foods, thank you.

How can a single country be so pervadingly revolting? Even their "food" consistently smells, tastes and looks like dogshit

>$5 curry/$1naan meal
damn that is cheap as fuck

any place I go to is like $10 for the curry alone

where do you live?

POO IN THE LOO, CURRYNIGGER

they believe in the power of donations and good will of people (they're basically tards)

it's only free if your time is worthless

PacificNW

Food cart is our "cuisine" here.

POO IN YOUR STEW NOT POO IN THE LOO

Remove POO

Because thats what computing was all about in the beginning, sharing code and not having to deal with bureaucracy. GPL is still offensiv in that regard but a little bit better than the rest. Computing nower days is only about shekels.

>Why is gnu/linux free ?

linus torvalds credits the success of the linux kernel to the gpl (and gnu c compiler) as it allows anyone to view the source, contribute modifications and re-distribute those modifications so long as the requirements in the gpl are upheld (namely that if you provide a binary you must also provide the source) and most importantly people maintain ownership over that code (i.e., they can choose to relicence it however they like however once they release a gpl copy anyone can use that copy to the extent the gpl allows)

the gnu coreutils and c compiler work on a similar principle, you'll get far FAR more people inclined to use those tools if not only they can make their own modifications but release those modifications to receive free testing and further contributions to those modifications

it's often said that the gpl is free as in freedom not as in beer but very seldom do people take full advantage of the latter half of that phrase and when they do they generally charge for support as opposed to charging to download as people will be less inclined to

>Is that a piece of shit on that rice?

it's saffron with a cardamom pod in the background you uneducated swine

It's not good enough to sell.