Is this really the best midrange tablet to get or is it just because Sup Forums is filled with Nvidia shills?

Is this really the best midrange tablet to get or is it just because Sup Forums is filled with Nvidia shills?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tablet/accessories/remake-shield-tablet-internal-stylus-t3297101
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>or is it just because Sup Forums is filled with Nvidia shills?
yes

Tablets are a meme and only nvidia shills would say that that thing is good

I need something to display photos and pdfs to people. I guess you have something better to suggest?

Yes, it's the best tablet for the money, and no, Sup Forums is full of amd shills. The Xiaomi Mi Pad Pro has the same chipset and screen if you want something more colourful.

How's Nvidia with updates? Will this get N?

shit, same with anything that isnt a nexus

>shit nvidia tablets
>Sup Forums is full of amd shills
all tablets are shit and memes and if amd made one it would be just as shit, now back to Sup Forums summerfag

I feel like I'm fucked then. I need a microSD slot. Is there a tablet that at least has really good community support?

Just buy a cheap chink tablet that has a microsd slot

It has the only SoC with official GNU/Linux support instead of lagdroid

The stylus is superb too

Pic related is the shilld running my 4k TV as a second monitor ask me anything

I feel like that would have the complete opposite of good community support. I'm not sure you save enough either.

The stylus is only the older version isn't it? What's the difference? I actually kinda want the stylus, not sure what's a good price to look for used though.

For gaming? Yes.
For everything else? Fuck no, gpu is the only thing it has going for it.

I thought you could put cyanogen mod on it? Its not the latest and greatest but there are lots of tablets in the 300 range that are not much of a step up.

>gaming smartphones

>cyanogen mod

That's exactly what I don't want to rely on. I got an Nook HD+ like 3 years ago and the thing is practically unusable. It's just completely buggy and support is pretty much dead now. This is what I want to replace and I want a tablet that will have support that lasts.

I like my two (managed to keep the dodgy battery one after the recall, blisspop seem to be the only ROM that works on it).
Nvida says the will be quick on the updates but original NSTs had to wait a few months after the K1 to get the MM update so read into that what you will.

I literally just sold my shield today
Nice build quality
But the fucking Web browsing on it is painful regardless of which browser I used sites were slow to load and clunky to scroll through compared to my Samsung tab 's 2

It's brutally slow WiFi and as a tablet it's good for nothing except gaming. Looks lovely but nor for me I'll get a nexus 9 next

Then just get one of the 70 dollar amazon ones and plan on tossing it in a year or so.

had 6 updates since I got mine, from 5.1 to 6.0, then additional features etc. Pretty quick with them too.

I was going to buy a K1 due to more or less stock ROM, frequent updates, decent specs, good price point and BT LE. However it's out of stock everywhere. I'm guessing nvidia are going to release a new shield tablet soon.

>16:10 aspect ratio
Try again

If you're thinking about getting one OP just do it, you'll like it.

Heard about but never had a problem with Wi-Fi but I stuck a 4G sim in it and it's cool.

Weird thing, the controller has rumble, Android doesn't seem to support rumble so didn't know it had it (doesn't say anywhere on the box). Plugged it into a PC and it started rumbling when playing Rocket League, freaked me out.

This alone interests me.

>I'm guessing nvidia are going to release a new shield tablet soon.

Sad thing is it's probably going to be $399 again which is out of my budget.

the rumble is for gamestream and gforce now, their game streaming service, managed to get both of them working while tethered to my phone on a train, it's really rather good.

Does the touch screen work well (or at all) with ubuntu?

I have a Shield K1 and it is great.
The screen is sharp, bright and somehow tasteful
The speakers are really good
Switching apps is fast and lag-free
Web browsing is fluid and enjoyable
The stylus is great - as good as a Note's
Support is good (seem to get latest OS soon after it's released)

It's really shameful just how it outperforms more expensive and higher-specced Samsung tablets with ease. It's inarguably the best tablet available for the price and arguably THE best android tablet.

Stylus works with the Shield K1 and all the software is present on the tablet, it's just sold separately as an optional extra.

Interestingly although there is no hole in the tablet chassis to slot the stylus, there is in fact a space inside, adventurous anons could probably mod the chassis so the stylus could be slotted in.

>The speakers are really good

this

the shield tablet has the most powerful tablet speakers in its class along with the best mobile gpu

forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tablet/accessories/remake-shield-tablet-internal-stylus-t3297101

some guy tried this already.

older version is slightly better in specs but has a build defect which causes cracks in the plastic side seams. the k1 only has 16gb of internal storage whilst the original has 32gb and LTE support. The k1 also doesn't have a stylus but who the hell uses those anyway and no power cable since micro usb is already standard for everything.

only thing better in the older version is the stylus functionality and the LTE radio, 16gb is fine when you have android 6 and the micro sd, got a 200gb one in mine and it's fine.

>to display photos and pdfs
Just get any $100 or less tablet you find at Walmart.

I would like to see tegra x1 convertible tablets...sigh I guess my slatebook x2 will have to last forever

>best midrange tablet
it gets consistently good reviews, so I'd say likely.
Personally I think it's too heavy for a tablet and Android is a moving target with short product lifecycles.

I recommend getting an iPad Mini 4. That way when you realize tablets are shit, you can sell it for pretty close to what you paid.

>1080p tablet
>2016
Into the trash.

Fuck off OP this is an AMD board and everything Nvidia related will be frowned upon. In all honesty buying this tablet in UK is impossible and it has nothing to do with Nvidia releasing new shield in late 2016. Couldn't get it last year, can't get it now.

I have one and I was pleasently surprised by the speakers as well. I don't use it too often for streaming games but just as a tablet to grab for Netflix, youtube, browsing, etc it's great. Surprised it's only $200.

i just bought a second hand surface 3 with 128gb of storage, 4gb of ram, the surface keyboard and pen for $350.

Look at the MiPad 2 OP. Will save a fair chunk of cash vs. the Shield, and has a much nicer display (exactly the same as the current iPad mini retina apparently).

...I'd have bought the MiPad myself, except no SD is really a deal-breaker since the only think I want a tablet for is movies while traveling.

it seems like a cool idea to stream from my pc to a tablet but i would never do that because it's stupid and that's the only reason i'd get it. I prefer the LG tablet T-mobile gave me for cheaps

Of course, DirectStylus™ too

>It has the only SoC with official GNU/Linux support instead of lagdroid

please elaborate user.

Shield is hella cheap already... Do you really need to save money that badly? Nvidia's support for the shield is well worth having, and is one of the tablet's selling points.

Its from nvidia so yeah its probably the best on the market.

>tablets

Is this 2012?

I have that keyboard too, it's super shitty

I don't know about the tablet but the Nvidia Shield TV is the bomb.

Meh

>Razer

Kys.

I bought one. It's my only tablet. I quite like it.

nvidia is good with updates. They're usually second after nexus phones. Also the OS is basically stock - which is why updates come out quickly.

>i don't get update on release week so they're shit

They're even faster than moto, who are faster than sony, samsung, htc, etc.

Qualcomm only releases Android drivers making running Linux without libhybris impossible

Nvidia releases, and officially supports, limux4tegra
????

You're retarded

I have the original Shield tablet. So far I love it. I read manga, watch movies, and play Borderlands on it. It has great speakers. Features fasts updates. Has ports of some PC games working. The k1 version is the same minus the stylus. Also both tablets have an active community of Ron developers at XDA. For $200, the tablet is a steal. I also recommend that you get a controller (preferable the Stratus XL for android and PC).

>Brasileiro
>Razer
>Meme headphone

Ao menos não sou um poorfag igual você que vota na dilma :^)

I like mine, but the case is starting to get loose (can feel/hear it creaking in places if you press on it) and it has an annoying tendency to occasionally corrupt my sd card.
Plus you can't put a protective case on it without sacrificing the more intensive apps because it'll overheat.
But it's a pretty good tablet otherwise, serves me well for comics, browsing, movies, etc. For the $200 I spent I'm pretty satisfied. There's probably something better out there at this point though.