You cannot fault this

You cannot fault this.

If you think you can, show your work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HCsXjttry1U
youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The top of the radiator is the worst place to have the outlets because that is where the warmer water is.

radiator does not cool air emit

My water cooling system is better and also doubles as a personal hydration system.

there is negative pressure in that case
have fun cleaning dust every day

>tubes at top
Nearly every modern OEM recommends the tubes be placed at the bottom. Turns out that pump noise that plagued early AIOs was because of air bubbles. Keeping the tubes at the bottom prevents air from entering the pump area.

Surprisingly it does. Even hours during heavy load radiators usually stay only a few C above ambient temp which is negligible.

>place tubes at bottom

this makes literally no sense to people who mount radiators horizontally. So why is this even considered at all?

>Surprisingly it does. Even hours during heavy load radiators usually stay only a few C above ambient temp which is negligible.
This is true. It's largely because the CPU block is such a small area and the flow rate is so high that the quantity of water in the block at any given time doesn't get to heat up very much before it moves out of the block and then it is trying to lose that heat all the way back to, and inside the radiator.

If you mount the radiator horizontally the tube connections are effectively in the middle and so average, any air pockets will be at the top of the rad and the warmer water will be up there too.

Horizontal mounting, especially above the motherboard, is probably easier on the pump too.

A GPU

Lets say I was to mount the AIO unit on the top, would I be exhuasting or intake?

serious question.

I would exhaust.
The ambient temperature inside your case shouldn't be more than a couple degrees that of outside your case so it won't make a huge difference whether you intake or exhaust in terms of cooling performance. You could argue for bringing cool air in to cross the morbo or to draw warm air out, it would depend on your other fan config.

Horizontal is the same as mounting at the bottom because the air can't re-enter the tubes either way. All that matters is the air collects at the "top" which can't physically re-enter the loop. Unless of course it's mounted horizontally at the bottom, but that's an unusually rare scenario.

So ideally 2 front fans intake, top and back exhuast?

Pretty much the standard ideal config.

How did air touch nothing near the rear and top and become hot, yet air that touched radiator fins that make contact with pipes moving heated water off the CPU not become hot?

this is how i use it (h100i and fractal r4) but it gets dusty as fuck

Do you use the filters?

Personally I run 2 intake, 1 exhaust and leave the top as a neutral vent.

By top do you mean the top-back?
Otherwise I assume you dont use AIO cooling and dont have it mouted to the top of the case.

yes

Can you explain negative pressure better? Now you got me wondering about my fan setup. I know I know. Old setup but still fun.

>triple slot cooler on a 560ti
Holy shit please tell me that thing is fanless or extremely low RPM and silent.

Also negative pressure means that it's going to such in air from anywhere it can to achieve normal air pressure. Dust can collect at points where it normally wouldn't, like joints / openings that aren't where fans are.

It's pretty quiet. Thanks for the concern. Ah. OK. I get it. Kind of.

I have no fans on the top and I notice a slight vacuum on my hand when I place my hand there. I'm assuming this is bad in terms of dust getting in?

The idea is to have more intake fans than exhaust. This would create a positive pressure in the case which would force air out of every other opening.
Having a negative pressure would suck air in every other opening. If you have air filters then they likely don't cover every opening in the case so you will get dust in.

In practice it's pretty much impossible to achieve because the fans just don't move enough air to create a pressure change.

Two 140's in the front attached to a 280mm radator. Top 120mm (basically top-middle) fan spot is unpopulated, but there's a magnetic filter over it. Rear 120mm has a fan.

It's really as simple as that. In my experience, the single 120 exhaust is capable of exhausting the air outputted by the two 140's behind the radiator. So I personally feel the "neutral" top vent keeps the airflow more equal. I think if I had a second top exhaust the pressure would be too negative.

Good explanation. Man. Thanks.

Im getting the corsair air 240d and wanting to fit with a micro mobo etc

this image is better than mine, congrats you win the ultimate prize,

my thanks.

Focusing heat in 1 spot is better to cool it

Can't be fucked as I'm on phone, but air from the very bottom fan gets stuck Uber the GPU, if present.

Don't believe me? Get an empty case, cut out a GPU sized bit of cardboard where the graphics card is supposed to be, then blow some crushed up Styrofoam through the fans. Top fan will draw the Styrofoam out, bottom fan will just push it under the graphics card and it'll whirlwind around.

Granted I did this experiment with 250cfm Deltas shop it had enough power to push and suck the Styrofoam around but my point stands.

no prob just make sure you have a slight positive pressure to keep things tidy

intake fan cfm - cooler and exhaust cfm should be a positive number.

corsair manual says to orient the fans pulling air into the case (pull orientation)

Which is strange seeing how all their promotional pics show the fans pushing air into the for the cooler(push orientation)

My airflow (I have Noctua fans and push pull rad)

That's a sexy case.

Dosen't really have an impact for me wheter I use push/pull. Stock Corsair fans tends to create turbulence/recycling air, so it might be worth using them as push configuration (recycling through a radiator is kind of hard). Btw: those fans needs to be flipped. I realised later that they acted as exhausts and not intake in the direction the manual shows you.

I feel the top mounted psu makes things dumb.
You're fighting physics to push to warm air down

if that case/pic was flipped it would be perfect.

I love shilling the 600Q case. Seriously, buy it.

Yeah, thats true, wouldnt be able 2x 140 / 3x 120 mm fans then though.

Unless your GPU is a jet engine blower style, it will dump more hot air into your case than the radiator or exhaust will be able to compensate for.

Also push pull is pointless.
Source: Pic related

My build. 3930k and a GTX 690 (Will be upgraded soon)

Cable management always looks like shit on pictures

>push pull is pointless
You have a push pull setup?

>what is multi-mode heat transfer?
too fucking complicated for Sup Forums too understand that's for sure

Don't look at the pictures.
Fans will have arrows on the side showing which way the fan spins and which direction they blow air.

youtube.com/watch?v=HCsXjttry1U

Even corsair does it themselves..

oh well, its only a fan flip so its not a huge deal to do.

No, but you're not really getting any extra airflow because one fan creates negative pressure on the intake side so the other fan basically gives you diminishing returns.

>Btw: those fans needs to be flipped. I realised later that they acted as exhausts and not intake in the direction the manual shows you.

so which way does it go ? im getting more and more confused. What the manual says to do and what everyone seems to do is the opposite.
The manual says to pull air , which means flipping the fans and having the less attractive side facing out.
If you orient the fans according to the box picture than you are in the push config

i've got just the video for you..

youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8

Very simply, make sure the Arrow on the fans themselves (should be at the side) points the direction you want the air to flow. Dont care about the extra Arrow pointing to The Arrow.

>australians
Doesn't surprise me.

>>australians

The extra arrow shows you which direction the fan spins.

my confusion was about the 'correct' way of mounting the fans.
Manual says pull air , everyone - everywhere does the push config

I wish it worked that way, I could use my PC as an A/C instead of a heater

>the flow rate is so high that the quantity of water in the block at any given time doesn't get to heat up very much before it moves out of the block and then it is trying to lose that heat all the way back to, and inside the radiator.

You must be both bad at math and lack an understanding of basic closed cooling systems

In a closed system you have a set volume of coolant, right?
When that fluid reaches thermal equilibrium, its heat absorption and dissipation are equal, no matter how fast or slow it flows through a loop, when in doubt higher flow rates(above 2.5gpm) are shown to have minimal benefit, while having lower flow rates(under 1gpm) are shown to negatively effect the loop's cooling effectiveness

And there is some interesting math that shows no matter how fast the pump is the water stays in the rad the same amount of time over the course of a minute even if it has cycled through a few times in the process

Open cooling systems don't work the same way, which is what you're trying to use to explain heat exchange time with cooling needing to be in a block to absorb the heat, but you don't know how a block works, they use jet plates to accelerate the flow of the coolant over the fins, making higher velocity flow that is more turbulent to make more coolant contact the fins in a shorter time, thus negating the need for coolant to soak up the heat in the block, the same thing works for transferring the heat from the coolant to the rad

And that's why you see a drop off in cooling efficiency when you go under 1gpm, you don't accelerated the water enough through the jet plate to cause turbulence to transfer the head from the block to the coolant, and why you don't see much benefit from having a flow rate above 2.5gpm, the coolant is getting accelerated through the jet plate already all you could do is make it turbulent through the entire fin structure, but since the die is pretty much under the jet plate you see minimal benefit for most small died cpus

The thing is, pretty much every AIO radiator has a "lip" at the top and bottom and it can't mount flush with a perfectly flat surface.

That's why when you mount it at the front of a case it's mounted as "push",or the rear / top of the case as "pull" since the fan acts as a spacer.

Push or pull isn't a huge deciding factor, while it's true push is better than pull, it's only a 2-4c difference. Of course, push-push trumps both.

>push-push
*push-pull

>heats up CPU because the fans produce heat too
lel

What the fuck? Actually, the position of the radiator ports doesn't actually matter. Coolant temperature across the loop is almost the same everywhere (since water has great thermal capacity) so it doesn't matter whether your rad ports are at the top or the bottom.

In the same vein, loop order doesn't matter either, you only need to put the reservoir before and at a higher level than the pump.

There's a pump in there, you fuckboy.

Oh wait, OEM sealed loops. Carry on. Have fun getting similar performance to a cheaper aircooler.

>thinking that makes any difference
You have a water pump in your car too buit it still draws water from the bottom of the radiator and returns to the top.

>Not using positive case pressure to prevent dust accumulation through non-perfect seals in case and filter free zones.
bitch please

bait but I'm procrastinating from work.

Because OP is a retard with no concept of thermodynamics or heat transfer.

you can have positive pressure with image 2 or op pic if you control fan speeds.

Enjoy your salmonella

I have positive pressure with the top fans as exhausts.
200mm on front and side help a bit though

>not designing your cooling using CFD
it's like you don't even try

it's not a fucking car engine, why does it have to suck air into the case through the rad instead of doing the exact opposite?

BREEZY HOT WINDS DIRECTLY HEATED FROM CPU

Because the case contains hot air, not cool air, and hot air flowing over radiator fins carries less heat away from the liquid, leading to warmer CPU temps.