Windows 10 has now been out for a year, and despite Microsoft's attempt to force a Windows 10 update on your PC...

Windows 10 has now been out for a year, and despite Microsoft's attempt to force a Windows 10 update on your PC, and giving their latest OS away for free, HALF of Windows user's are still reluctant to leave a seven year old operating system, and 80% are still avoiding the upgrade.

Will Windows 10 gain momentum, or stall at 20%?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>WINDOWS USER'S
dropped

Is anything modern still supported on XP, at all? Might upgrade to it from 10.

XP is dead. Can't even get a modern web browser to run on it. I would love to go back to XP, my favorite OS of them all.

Windows 10 has no chance of dominating when a lot of office and business computer systems are built around win 7 and everyone is scared to upgrade their business. The pharmacy I work at simply can't upgrade because our patient records and other software are all dependant on win 7. Upgrading will break all sorts of shit.
You also have many private owners scared of using telememery. These two demographics alone will keep a large portion of users on win 7 until enough businesses replace their systems to use win 10 and enough individuals buy new PCs.

>windows 8 has more market share than linux

windows 7 is best windows

Microsoft will go "oh shit we fucked up" and Windows 11 will be 7 mk.II, completely abandoning the poor design choices they made with Windows 8-10
I hope.

Microsoft has always had difficulties getting people to upgrade, so the current numbers for 10 are actually pretty good. It's already far from an "oh shit we fucked up" situation.

The design will stay because UWP. The best we can hope for is some consistency in future updates.

Just stop spying on people and return control to the user. I'd move to 10 if they did that. It's really not that hard.

I'm kinda surprised Windows 10 doesn't have more users given Microsoft's aggressive methods to get people to upgrade.

Install Gentoo (or another Linux distro) and rice it to look like Windows XP.

>W11

There is no Windows 11. They're moving everyone over to Windows 10 for free so they can slap a subscription model on it and get OSbux every year.

That's a good thing, if everyone was on Linux, I wouldn't use it

Does that include businesses though?

If I recently built a memelake computer an I run win7 on it or is it locked to win10?

Bro why the fuck would you even give Intel/Microsoft the idea. I can see this shit happening now. God damn.

>user's

You do realize you're the definition of hipsterfaggot.

I remember reading that skylake was gonna be win10 only, I could be wrong

You do realize you're the definition of bait.

That's actually not that bad, desu senpai. A lot of those users might be enterprise, in which case they're going to stay on an older version to maintain compatibility. Not to mention, a lot of Windows 7 users might have long since stopped turning on their computers in favor of smart phones and tablets, or use their computers so little that it's not worth the effort. I'm sure only a small percentage of that %50 was not upgrading out of caution or a resentment of 10. And this is all coming from a person who really fucking hates Wangblows.

I hope those MSDNAA/Dreamspark license keys will become useful in a few years when Win7 support runs out

it it will be ubuntu mir. just sayan

>7 years
Damn. It should be cheap now I guess, is it time to buy my first ever os? It must be convenient.

Actually they probably look pretty fucking terrible to stockholders seeing as they did everything they could bordering on the illegal, to get people to upgrade and still barely moved any product.

>buy
>os

Just find an ISO and use ksm

I guarantee that out of the 20% of Windows 10 users, 15% are the result of a forced upgrade and new PC sales.

If it wasn't for the extreme and aggressive push by Microsoft to force people to move over, they probably would have only 5% on Windows 10 right now and it would have be known as M$ greatest OS failure.

The pitch to stockholders is that MS is gonna save money by only having to support one rolling-release version. Revenue is gonna come from data collection, ads, and skimming off a cut from app store sales a la Google and Apple. Possibly charging a subscription eventually, like they're doing with W10 enterprise. Bean-counters like all this shit because it makes the revenue more consistent, stable, and predictable, instead of coming in big lumps on a three-year upgrade cycle - investors cheered Adobe doing this shit with PS. And it generally allows you to charge more money over time.

MS (and investors) are probably planning on just waiting out the long tail of refuseniks. Win7 will eventually leave support, so big business will either have to upgrade (anyone with compliance regulations can't be running unsupported OSs) or they'll have to shell out punitive costs for custom support. (I think MS's plan for XP custom support was that the cost doubles every year) The normie consumer market by and large is too stupid to install their own operating system, so device replacement will eventually drain Win7 numbers, since new gear will only be sold with 10.

Buy 2500k
Best cpu ever made

GOD DAMN IT MACROSHIT
I needed you. I needed you to get people away from IE.
Why didn't you succeed?

I upgraded to 10 way before they were forcing it like now.
It's shitty marketing and idiots who spread shit that make people afraid of Win10.

>Install Gentoo (or another Linux distro) and rice it to look like Windows XP.
Are you retarded? It's not about the looks dipshit. That's the only thing you Linux fags think counts.

What do you miss about XP? The constant BSODs? Poo in loos spamming the messegnger service?

No, I like that it does not have Systemd.

Slackware and Gentoo and a few other major distros don't use systemdicks by default. If you later reply asking about MUH GAYMES, I'm certain any game that works for XP will work in wine or just use a VM.

>Poo in loos spamming the messegnger service
i miss the msn messenger days

>no source...

Sorry, I don't waste time playing gaymes like you fags.

wrong messenger faggot

I remember forgetting to firewall Windows XP after installing once and it took me literally a few minutes to get malware on it. It exploited some vulnerable service and installed itself.

You must be dumb as fuck, I had to turn off my firewall because some network software I had to use for work was interfering with it. Never had a problem.

Microsoft will eventually just stop supporting Windows 7. Then everyone who uses it will be unable to defend against any exploits found after the last patch and they'll either be forced to use an insecure OS or switch to a more recent OS.

Yes, I'm sure I am supposed to patch all the security vulnerabilities in a clean Windows XP install before I boot onto the desktop and I have full control over when a subnet sweep by some random malware hits my IP.

The only mistake I made is forgetting to externally firewall my Windows XP PC. You're completely security illiterate if you're saying that with a straight face.

Maybe in 2016 you can use unpatched Windows XP even without a firewall, because it's a dead OS and most of the botnets are probably dead, but it happened to me in 2005 when people other than tech illiterate Luddites still used the OS and it was the #1 malware platform.

Windows 7
>it just werks

Windows 10
>telementary
>automatic updates
>automatic restarts
>something happened

Can you guess which one i\d chose if I'm doing important work?

MacOSX probably.

Microsoft will eventually just stop supporting Windows 10. Then everyone who uses it will be unable to defend against any exploits found after the last patch and they'll either be forced to use an insecure OS or switch to a more recent OS.

assuming they will want to stay on windows

Holy shit, you mean you don't have an firewall on your router? What is this, 2002?

>subnet sweep by some random malware hits my IP
>not having your own subnet

hes probably using a shared connection

Best response.
I hope your first time on le chan was terrible and you never come back

>tfw runninig XP

I am a filthy slut just waiting to be molested, ahn~

>hurr everybody in Sup Forums is not a gaymer tard
>if you don't gayme your place is not in Sup Forums

The IP assigned to the XP box was DMZd, ergo the "firewall" was not turned on. And no it was 2005.

Water fox works on XP 64 bit. I switched because my games, while still using direct sound for audio phased out support for XP. Also some drm wrappers won't work in XP.

Firefox works on it, faggot. I'm running Nightly Firefox right now.

I use Win10 and it's aight.

There are graphical glitches now though. Artifacts when playing video of any kind on my GTX 560ti even after DDU removal of drivers and re-installation. Also when I put MPC-HC or any other video player that isn't in a browser in full screen mode then the whole desktop display on the HDTV via mini HDMI goes pixelated. This only happens on the HDTV via HDMI though. A display setting change via driver settings fixes that though, also unplugging and replugging cable.

Windows is the business OS, and most businesses:

1. Still have to buy a license for their company to use and install every new iteration of Windows.
2. See upgrading as an unnecessary business cost for now, since Win7 will continue to receive security updates for the life of the hardware they have already invested.
3. Windows 10 has only been out for a year, and no business replaces computer hardware yearly.

As you can see, by the graph, lots of businesses still use XP, especially for registers or for businesses that just use computers for emails and simple communication.

hello fellow Sup Forums friends. just came by to post up-to-date statistics for you.

42% of people who installed steam != 42% market share.

sorry but your so called "market share" doesnt exist

Doesnt change the fact that that picture literally doesnt mean jack.

>An OS that is lauded for its' gaming benefits is used a lot by gamers!

Color me fucking surprised.

sure it doesnt pajeet :)

first time i hear this. i havent spoken to one person who told me that they upgraded "because of the gaming benefits"

9.78% BABY!

I can only hope for a stall at 20%.
The botnet bullshit is just too much to deal with.

Me too.. It's fucked up that user interface in win7 is actually worse than in xp.

DirectX 12 and all that stuff. Really? You haven't?

DirectX 12 ? Which games support DirectX 12 ?

I've no fucking idea, I'm on XP personally - I don't game. But I've heard that from my friends, and they have upgraded to 10, waiting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

I really never understand these threads.
Businesses never update their computers and trust me when I say they account for most Windows machines.
Windows 7 is what all their private systems work around, what all their programs work around, I mean ffs my Dad just got a new position where they gave him a brand new Lenovo X1 Carbon with a custom boot of Win7.
Windows 10 will become their standard in 2-3 years since they have only been on Win7 for 4 of those 7 years since Win7s release.
I remember the industry standard was still XP until Microsoft told those cheap corporations no more updates.
Look at Windows in a business sense OP because that is who buys the majority of windows OSs.

you would think that if someone decides to upgrade to windows 10 because of directx 12, that they would do a little research before actually taking that step, right?

So you would expect google searches that go along the lines of "windows 10 directx 12" or just "directx 12"

just compare how much people are looking up just "windows 10" and how much people are looking up windows 10 in combination with/without Directx 12
>pic related

>mfw cant post face because im posting an image for another user
>mfw missing face would be a funny laughing reaction

15.Fucking.Games.

>can't even get a modern web browser to run on it

What the hell am I using, then?

Not doing the free upgrade because it uses a hardware hash to check if you own it, and deactivates your old key. If I'm upgrading hardware, I'll prob buy win10.

He said modern

It's a better illustration of market share among common home users than OP's pic because of the reasons listed here

Does it matter? It's a lose-lose situation for consumers. They won't get the latest and greatest improvements and features for their main OS, and after the free upgrade period is over, they will actually have to pay Microsoft to get a Windows 10 license, so Microsoft actually makes money when the time comes that these people decide to upgrade, and believe you me that time will come, sooner or later.

The only reason not to upgrade is if your hardware is incompatible, anything else and you're just a fucking idiot

How is Nightly not modern?

That's wrong.

Calm down. According to the AMD shills DX12 games will pop out of the ground like shrooms :^)

>They won't get the latest and greatest improvements and features for their main OS
When the new features make my experience worse I don't want them. Because I have real work to do on my computer.

Did you forget to complete your sentence?

>WRONG!!!!
>.....
>DURRRRRR

Yep

not to mention retards will stick with Win 7 for another twenty years, letting themselves get PWNED with zero days

>real work
Like what? I work as a developer for fuck sake, and I use my work laptop at home as well

No wonder, 10's driver framework is way faster than 7, great for games.

There are a lot of MMO's getting DX12 updates.

> tfw still dual booting XP and W7

feels good.

This chart basically looks identical to a year+ after windows 7, only xp was 50%.

Its companies who within a few years dropped tens of thousands on windows 7 pcs and compatible software.

Neckbeards and companies are all you're seeing here.

They would need first to severely cut down on the support period for Win 7. Didn't Win XP's period end relatively recently?

your youtube gaming channel is not real work user

The difference is that Microsoft didn't try to fuck you up the ass with Windows 7. It was legitimately good. It was good enough that I had used the beta until it started shutting down randomly (which Microsoft did intentionally a while after RTM to get you to stop using the beta).

And I would love to molest you, kinslayer

>almost as many XP users as those using Win 8.x

I will never use as OS that I can't disable updates on. I will use Windows 7 for as long as possible and then *shiver* move to Linux if I have to

you didnt

what do i care. i only play css and league of legends. that would be 300-1200 fps for me

How long have you been using xp?

>windows 8+
>service packs removed
>must enable windows update
fuck that

Gentoo comes with openrc by default.