Why do we still use SIM cards? Can't you just select a network in the phone os providing it is unlocked?

Why do we still use SIM cards? Can't you just select a network in the phone os providing it is unlocked?

They actually used to do it that way, not sure why they stopped.

Probably not making money off SIM cards, fuckers are expensive now.

I believe Apple was working on bringing that to iOS.

The world would then need to agree on another standard for authenticating users to carriers.

Because I can swap my SIM to a new phone.

The SIM helps authenticate with the tower. Without it, they would have to create a new authentication method.

Because in emergency situations they can be very nutricious.

authenticate the phone instead of the simcard? you know, you register the phone to the carrier instead of the simcard

congratulations u just reinvented cdma

This is why tho. Nice dubs

>They actually used to do it that way
Who is "they" and how did "they" do it? There have been SIM cards for as long as I have lived and longer still. They used to be far, far bigger than what OP has in his picture but they were still Subscriber Identity Modules.
>Probably not making money off SIM cards, fuckers are expensive now.
That's a problem with your carrier, not SIM cards. My carrier throws SIM cards at customers for free and will continue throwing them until begged to stop. They seem to want to get rid of them.

I'm on Sprint and the lack of SIM cards annoys me (nevermind they have the shittiest network). I have to go on their site or call to activate a different phone.

if you're keeping the same tariff all the time why does it even bother you, just insert the SIM one time and leave it there forever

LOLno

AT&T will literally throw them at you for free.

>Normie calls to get phone moved over to new network
Alright sir, I'll just need your IMEI number!
>My wha?
Well, alright, how about your subscriber number then?
>Wer da hell I get dat?
Maybe if you could put in this code for me...
>I aint got no time for dat shit

This will be a brilliant system.

They (I'm Canadian so Bell, Rogers etc) used to not have SIM cards years ago, each phone was locked (like today) to it's specific carrier.

My first phone, LG Rumor didn't require a SIM.

And some carriers don't charge for SIM cards, some do.

I have an even better idea.
Alright?
Stay with me.

We use a tiny chip that can easily be moved from one phone to another and authenticate without hassle.

Fucking brilliant.

>instantly assumes everything is American.

Fucking Americans.

I'm sorry if you country a shit.

>Why do we still use SIM cards
Politics.

By having the authentication in a SIM card (for GSM phones) rather than in the phone (as in CDMA) it became much easier (in Europe) to change service provider.

I'm sorry your English is shit, as well.

What third world country do you live in? When I botched cutting my SIM card to a smaller sixe I just walked down to my carriers store, asked for a new SIM card and walked out with it a minute later.

Don't be mad babygirl.
I'll show you my freedoms.

We've got plenty up here in Canada, I'll just get my feelings checked for free ;)

;^)

Because then you would have to register your device with the network operator and they would have to know things about you, like your name, address, billing, etc

With a SIM card you can remain largely anonymous.

>They (I'm Canadian so Bell, Rogers etc) used to not have SIM cards years ago
Because CDMA which is an awful system. The use of 4G means they now use SIM cards.
>And some carriers don't charge for SIM cards, some do.
Exactly why I said that this was a problem to do with your carrier and not inherent to SIM cards.
>to it's specific carrier.
>to it is specific carrier.
Is English your second language?
>it became much easier (in Europe) to change service provider.
This is a massive argument for SIM cards and I have not seen a single argument against them so far in this thread aside from some carriers choosing to charge for them.

>Can't you just select a network in the phone os

CDMA was once used before you were born apparently.

I'm not arguing that with you, I was just stating a fact.

>Is English your second language?

Oui, ça l'est :)

>CDMA was once used before you were born apparently
CDMA was never used in Europe. We had credit card sized SIMs long ago. CDMA still will not let you just choose a carrier from your OS the way OP described because OP does not seem to understand what he is asking.

I think they already do it in the iPad. not sure how it works though

I know, right?! I have to pay T-Mobile $30/month for mine. $30/month! For a tiny piece of metal and plastic! Fuck them, seriously.

>rather than in the phone (as in CDMA)
>Because CDMA which is an awful system.
>CDMA was never used in Europe.

God damn fuck you. CDMA is doing better than ever, and has almost completely taken over every single European country because it's vastly superior.

No, shut the fuck up for a second.

If you have a GSM phone and you're using data services within a hundred kilometers of a human settlement, then guess what: you're using CDMA. 3G and 4G/LTE are CDMA.

If you really hate CDMA, then set your phone to 2G only and enjoy your shitty TDM with GPRS.

Also, yes, fuck you if you measure "bandwidth" in Mbps instead of MHz. Thanks for asking.

>Technicalities and insults
Alright, alright, we'll be specific since your autism demands it. The CDMA system that was implemented in the US in ~96 was awful and terrible for consumers. The GSM system that's used as a base in Europe, while technically inferior, is far better for the consumer and better overall as the technical limitations are eliminated with 3g and beyond.

Now go be autistic somewhere else. Maybe you'll find someone who's impressed that you read the wikipedia article.

I don't remember TDMA phones having SIM cards.

Because service providers operate on different formats to make shit annoying, hence why some are GSM and others are CDMA. Some budget companies are fully optional for both while most bigger companies are one or the other save for a limited selection of devices and only provide the option for their specific devices.

O2 in the UK replace them without charge. I think it's the standard.

>we'll be specific since your autism demands it.
Thank you.

> The CDMA system that was implemented in the US in ~96 was awful and terrible for consumers.
Agreed

>The GSM system that's used as a base in Europe, while technically inferior, is far better for the consumer and better overall as the technical limitations are eliminated with 3g and beyond.
Agreed

>Now go be autistic somewhere else
>somewhere other than Sup Forums
Yeah no.

here's your (You)

That's actually how CDMA works, Or at least it used to.

That's terrible.

>being mad that Americans on an anonymous American website assume you're American
Where does this entitlement come from?

>register the phone
Thats the problem, in many countries sim can be had for very cheap and the only registration required is to insert the sim and power on the phone.
(re)Registering the phone can be a much longer and complicated process

SIM cards make things easier. Means you can use any phone that takes the card, instead of having the phone tied to a number.