Windows Phones

What's your opinion about windows phones? I actually have a lumia 650, phone is not too bad, but the os is fucking awful, lack of apps is the biggest issue, also 10 mobile have plenty of bugs and apps are generally bad, even skype works like shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh6ct0l
mspoweruser.com/facebook-kills-beta-app-windows-phone/
flickr.com/photos/133225805@N08/24997753482/in/dateposted-public/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

girl I know has one

Terrible UI
No apps
jesus christ what is happening to the keyboard
slow as fuck

throw it in a dumpster and file an insurance claim

I had a lumia 925 on wp8, loved the phone itself, hated the os, extremely buggy software, lack of apps etc

Well optimized at least. Runs well on about anything

>What's your opinion about windows phones?
WP post 7 is basically a case study in "Too little - Too late" when it comes down to it. Not only did they release way too late, they lacked loads of features they should have had from the get-go. This was finally mostly fixed in WP8, but by then both Android and iOS had carved the market between the two of them. WP10 was also released after way too many delays and to make matters worse with pretty much zero fanfare so most people didn't even know it had released. The fact that they promised all round updates to WP8 users, but then ended up knocking loads of devices off the support list with little warning twice really sealed the deal for me personally.

My Lumia 920 was supposed to get an update, but just before it finally launched the 920 along with a whole bunch of other devices with roughly the same specs were knocked off the support list with no warning. To make matters worse, this second knocking of devices off the support list wasn't even done publicly, I had to download an app to find out if my 920 would be getting an update to WP10.

In other words: Windows on mobile devices - Not even once.

Thinking about getting one because my old phone is dying but there is no way I'm spending more than €100 on a new one.

Not true anymore, 10 is buggy and also slow sometimes. performance has nothing to do with 8.1

Awesome! I love my Lumia 930.
>Windows phone 8
Yeah, it's pretty good. Pity 6snap was killed off.
>Windows phone 10
All of my hate. Seriously, it has this bug where it closes any app you navigate away from. This is a massive fucking problem for me because my online banking system uses what's called a SIM app for verification. That means I press log in in the bank app, the bank then remotely activate the SIM app for verification, that goes through but then the bank app has closed. This is absolutely useless, a massive step backwards.
>jesus christ what is happening to the keyboard
Suggestive text that actually comes with reasonable suggestions and lacking the extraordinarily aggressive autocorrect found on both Samsung and Apple default keyboards. Way better than the alternatives.
>slow as fuck
I will level many criticisms towards it but slow is not one of them.

Nokia had the best hardware ever put on a smartphones
UI is pretty nice
No apps.

Just make a nokia lumia android phone and i'll buy a couple

They need to improve but have tons of potential

Have several wp devices. I'd say WP 8.1 > WP 10 > WP 7. Lack of apps is indeed annoying. And WP 10 was a step back in many aspects. It's still fluid and to get the same flow in an Android handset you'd need a flagship device. And I find the GUI to be the best one available on phones right now. A matter of taste I guess.

I've also had a lumia 920 before my 650, used it for just like two months. Need to say, tried the latest 10 preview on it,the build i think was the one just before the official release on the other devices, and it still sucked, battery drain was crazy and all ran very slow.

>open browser
>tap on textbox
>wait 4 seconds
>keyboard appears

Why do people willingly use a platform that has been abandoned by their own developers?

I have never seen that happened and I shilled wp hard enough to convince my entire family to switch. Which device and which OS?

It happens on W10, lot of times. Now I'm waiting for the anniversary update to see if something's better.

>Ask for specifics
>Get answer oh yeah it happens lots of times!

I was just asserting what the guy before said. Specs are Lumia 650, windows 10, latest update, not insider.

>there is an actual WP shill in Sup Forums

I would maybe understand if the platform has a future but all evidence points otherwise.

Yeah that happens on my 930 and 550. The same with the lock screen being slow. I believe it's a task priority or scheduling issue. Some other annoying thing runs in the background stealing all power. Probably telemetry stuff.

>I would maybe understand if the platform has a future but all evidence points otherwise.
The main reason I run WP is the UI and the phone was like 50 obama coins. And the perceived performance is most of the time comparable with a high end Android phone. I'll be switching to the upcoming nexus if it has a microsd slot. Too fed up with no apps.

I'm and yes I did shill windows phone back when the 930 was new. Now I have a galaxy s6 for work in addition to the 930 and I'm wondering if I should toss out the Lumia in favour of an X performance or an s7. I can't seem to decide but windows 10 and the app closing bug killed it for me.

>Too fed up with no apps.

How bad is the actual app situation in WP?

Very bad. I don't think they even have fully functional apps for basic stuff like Twitter or Facebook.

No snapchat, no facebook, no youtube and certainly no new games. The platform is breathing its last dying breath.

>no facebook, no youtube

Lel, seriously?

Microsoft have given a truly half-hearted attempt at making apps for those two. It's dreadful.

Apps for the mainstream stuff exists except snapchat but I'm not 14 years old. I have facebook, instagram, slack, facebook messenger etc. But there is no bank app in my country for windows phone. That's extremely annoying. There is no app for my triathlon watch for synching data. I do not have means to update various sport sensor's firmware because an app for that is only available on android and iphone. No firefox with µblock.

And that is kind of a deal breaker for me.

It's dead.

I own three WPs

Lumia 620: Absolute low-end even back then, still pretty good phone and runs WP8.1 pretty well even though it only has 512MB RAM

Lumia 920: Pretty old former flagship. Runs 8.1 pretty ok. Runs WP10 like absolute SHIT.

BLU Win HD LTE: SP410, 1GB of RAM. This is already one of the better WPs you can get in term of specs. It runs WP10... okay, usable I would say.

Overall WP, especially 10 is a pile of SHIT. It is buggy, nothing is working well, even the M$ apps are much better on android than on WP. I like the UI concept, but everything else is just shit.

They should just kill off wp10 and sell their Lumias with Android and Arrow launcher installed.

Official facebook app exists and is actually updated. The same with facebook messenger. There was an Microsoft youtube app that was better than any other platform's app so Google shut it down.

>Official facebook app exists
So it does! That's new and very clearly marked "beta"
>There was an Microsoft youtube app that was better than any other platform's app so Google shut it down.
Oh stop that. I was a windows phone shill and I had that app. It wasn't better than any other platform and it certainly wasn't better than the one for android but it bypassed ads and let you save videos, both of which breach the TOS from Google. Metrotube was the better youtube player but that's broken at this point.

Refreshing UI, livetiles are still pleasant to look at and make your homescreen live. The main issue with them (not being able to see all notifs) has been mitigated by the Action Center.
Overall, it's still somewhat buggy (nothing critical) and Edge is a mess regarding optimization and that's a shame, because most websites render OK.

To summarize, WP10 has potential because it has UWP, which devs can use to publish their apps to all Microsoft devices (Win10, WP10, Xbone).
But MS don't seem to care about their customer base and act like they have 20+% market share ($/€600+ phones against $/€350 droids, lying about upgrade availability, discontinuing shit here and there, dropping support, etc...).

>So it does! That's new and very clearly marked "beta"
I don't know where you get your information from but I've had a facebook app since WP7. And nowhere in it does it say it's beta.

>Oh stop that. I was a windows phone shill and I had that app. It wasn't better than any other platform and it certainly wasn't better than the one for android but it bypassed ads and let you save videos, both of which breach the TOS from Google. Metrotube was the better youtube player but that's broken at this point.
Please it was way better than iphone and android versions at that time.

I'm going to switch to android because of a few deal breaking app issues but there is no need to spread disinformation. I'm sure everyone here hates WP anyway.

>And nowhere in it does it say it's beta.
Pic related.
>Please it was way better than iphone and android versions at that time.
Because it broke the terms of service in two very important ways. The actual UI was mediocre and the responsiveness was so-so but hey, it let you save videos and never showed adverts, which might have something to do with why google had it taken down.

>Pic related.
Here is my pic related.
>The actual UI was mediocre and the responsiveness was so-so but hey, it let you save videos and never showed adverts, which might have something to do with why google had it taken down.
If Google don't like people using their undocumented API then they shouldn't expose it in the first place.

The keyboard is fantastic though. Also probably faster than iOS and Android, just runs on cheap hardware

>Official facebook app exists
>Microsoft Corporation
As expected of a Swede. You live up the reputation of being dull as dishwater.
>If Google don't like people using their undocumented API then they shouldn't expose it in the first place.
It wasn't undocumented, where the ungodly fuck did you get that from? They were given access to an API provided they abide by TOS. They didn't abide by the TOS so they lost the access to the API. Is that hard for your stupid Swedish head to understand?

The only good thing is that the third party apps for twitter and youtube and other services are mostly better than the official ones on any other platform.

It has a good core of apps, but it's missing many of the most popular apps, particularly dating, mobile banking, and other utility apps.

Ideally UWP will take off and it'll be tempting for developers to just port their apps to mobile quickly, but the userbase really isn't there to justify it

Lumia 1520 owner here. Was awesome for as long as it was alive.
Great camera.
Really fast.
Nice sound.
Slick design.
Really really good keyboard.
Don't use every app under the sun, so didn't have issue with the lack of apps. But what I noticed that apps lag behind android a lot.

>facebook is slow and bloated

lol

>As expected of a Swede. You live up the reputation of being dull as dishwater.
Hello there Sup Forums. Several companies contracted Nokia and later MS to create and maintain their official apps. Also called outsourcing. I guess Windows isn't made by Microsoft either since several parts of it has been outsourced to external companies.

>It wasn't undocumented, where the ungodly fuck did you get that from?
>They were given access to an API provided they abide by TOS. They didn't abide by the TOS so they lost the access to the API. Is that hard for your stupid Swedish head to understand?
Are you fucking retarded? Google wants third party developers to use their official HTML5 API. MS didn't because they thought it was unfair since neither the Android or iPhone app did. After the first shitstorm MS added ads and everything else required by Google's TOS in an updated version. Google didn't accept this because MS didn't use the HTML5 API that anyone may use. MS continued to use the "undocumented" API so Google revoked their API key.

>Hello there Sup Forums. Several companies contracted Nokia and later MS to create and maintain their official apps. Also called outsourcing. I guess Windows isn't made by Microsoft either since several parts of it has been outsourced to external companies.
So a facebook app made by Microsoft is now an official facebook app? You can accuse me of being from pol al you like but the fact of the matter is that Swedish people have a reputation of being bloody stupid and you're not helping the matter by being bloody stupid.

I do understand why MS refuse to use their shitty unusable HTML5 API

Does it matter? It's not like MS going post dick pic with your FB account

>Does it matter? It's not like MS going post dick pic with your FB account
Yes. The complaint was that there is a sore lack of official, first party apps and that Microsoft and third party apps are lacklustre at best. Trying to muddy the waters with accusations of Sup Forums and the strawman that Microsoft don't care about your dick pics is irrelevant.

You have autism don't you?

Oh hey look, another attempt to draw the argument away from a point that you can't address. That was unexpected.

No, it was a serious question user

>So a facebook app made by Microsoft is now an official facebook app?
As official it's going to be because if and when facebook ports their existing windows 10 app to UWP MS will remove their own implementation.
>You can accuse me of being from pol al you like but the fact of the matter is that Swedish people have a reputation of being bloody stupid and you're not helping the matter by being bloody stupid.
That's because the only contact you have with the outside world (outside mommy's basement) is through Sup Forums and apparently Sup Forums in particular.

>Yes. The complaint was that there is a sore lack of official, first party apps and that Microsoft and third party apps are lacklustre at best. Trying to muddy the waters with accusations of Sup Forums and the strawman that Microsoft don't care about your dick pics is irrelevant.
If you don't want strawman then grow up instead of saying "as expected by a Swede".

That's not me. Other people just picked up that you don't appear to be fully functioning in a social environment.

Pity and amusement. Mostly the latter.

If knowing the distinction between first party and third party is autistic then yes, I am an autist much like not knowing it means you are an idiot.

The facebook app is made by facebook . The old one was made by microsoft. Its a new official app

There is also Instagram now and facebook messenger and if u like there is also official steam

Had a Lumia 920. OS is absolute garbage but the hardware was okay I guess. It hasn't broken yet but I had to get another phone because I couldn't stand every single app (including the app needed to log into my bank, the app used for getting tickets for the subway, etc.) not being available for my phone.

>The facebook app is made by facebook
>Microsoft Corporation
That is clearly not Facebook and the one actually made by Facebook that I posted here is clearly marked as a beta, as I said it was.
>As official it's going to be because if and when facebook ports their existing windows 10 app to UWP MS will remove their own implementation
>The Microsoft made app is official because there wasn't a first party one at the time
This is so fantastically stupid it hurts to read. It has no basis in reality.
>If you don't want strawman then grow up instead of saying "as expected by a Swede".
So because I threw in the common stereotype of the Swedish people as viewed by the rest of Scandinavia after having made a real point you can now use logical fallacies? Again, no basis in reality.
>is through Sup Forums and apparently Sup Forums in particular.
I've never been to Sup Forums but from what I've seen of their spam on Sup Forums they don't seem to be aware of the fact that the rest of Scandinavia considers Sweden to be as thick as two short planks.

>Byggd for Windows 10

I don't speak Skyrim but I'm just going to assume that means "bugged for Windows 10".

Lumia 920 was the worst high-end WP Nokia has ever brought to the market, it was packed with issues such as short battery life, faulty front facing camera, faulty OIS and heavier than a brick

It's still lighter than the fucking phablet thing I had to get to replace it

I had a Lumia 730 and i really liked it.
The UI didn't bother me and the hardware was fine, the screen was even better than my iphone 4's.
I think it's the lack of apps what killed it because no normie will buy a phone without snapchat (the official one), pokemon go or whatever is hip at the moment.

>>the facebook app is made by facebook
the previous facebook app was made by microsoft. What is your point

>That is clearly not Facebook and the one actually made by Facebook that I posted here is clearly marked as a beta, as I said it was.
Your app is not available. It has been pulled from the store. It was a joint venture between facebook and microsoft to test features. Since it was a joint venture does that mean the app is neither an official facebook or MS apps? Is a beta app even an official app?

My GF has one, pretty tough, it has fallen out of her motorcycle 2 times when she was texting and riding. It has no damage just small scratches, it did shatter all over the road tho.

>This is so fantastically stupid it hurts to read. It has no basis in reality.
Can't be much up there in the head so what can hurt? The optical nerve hitting emptiness?
>So because I threw in the common stereotype of the Swedish people as viewed by the rest of Scandinavia
You don't get out much do you?
>you can now use logical fallacies? Again, no basis in reality.
You brought the discussion down to a mouthbreathing retarded 10 year old's level. If you didn't want that to happened you could have stayed civilised. But no you had to tell everyone on Sup Forums you are a fucking retard.
>I've never been to Sup Forums but from what I've seen of their spam on Sup Forums they don't seem to be aware of the fact that the rest of Scandinavia considers Sweden to be as thick as two short planks.
lol ok. I don't think I need to reply to this thread anymore.

>It has no damage
>just small scratches
>it did shatter all over the road tho

>Your app is not available. It has been pulled from the store
Well I guess I shouldn't be able to download it or find it in the store by searching for "Facebook" and I certainly shouldn't be able to share the URL microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh6ct0l

>Can't be much up there in the head so what can hurt? The optical nerve hitting emptiness?
Not going to actually address that point, huh?
>You brought the discussion down to a mouthbreathing retarded 10 year old's level
This discussion was already a that level as soon as you started your idiocy you mucous eating oaf.
>lol ok. I don't think I need to reply to this thread anymore.
If you did you still wouldn't actually address any actual points so it wouldn't matter anyway.

The battery separated and detachable plastic flew all over the place... sorry for wording it incorrectly.

>the previous facebook app was made by microsoft. What is your point
That was exactly my point. It was not an official app as user was claiming it was, it was a third party app made by a third party, Microsoft in this case.

Hey, your GF rides, no need to apologize.

>mspoweruser.com/facebook-kills-beta-app-windows-phone/
>Facebook and Microsoft are killing off their Facebook Beta app for Windows Phone.
They pulled the app in certain regions. It's still available in some regions.

Also looks better than the bride.

No bragging if you can't post the proof!

>They pulled the app in certain regions. It's still available in some regions.
Ah, I see. Thank you user. So truly the only facebook app available on windows phone is the third party one.

I'm not sure if it can be called third party. They use the facebook logo, have facebook TOS and privacy agreements. It's probably just like the beta app developed jointly but MS provides the funds for the phone app. It appears facebook might release a non-beta uwp facebook app soon to windows 10. Meaning it will be available both to the desktop OS, xbox and windows phone.

Eeeeh, I have a bunch of photos on my flickr
flickr.com/photos/133225805@N08/24997753482/in/dateposted-public/

But most are rather a lame attempt at being artistic rather then capturing the beauty.

>Terrible UI

The UI is the one thing windows phone did right.

Bretty nice, mang. Grats.

Is that her scoot parked on the street?

>They use the facebook logo,
As do many other third party apps
>have facebook TOS and privacy agreements
Well they legally have to.
>It's probably just like the beta app developed jointly
Very hard to say without any outward indication and it also predates the cooperation with Facebook by quite some time. I think it far safer to assume it a third party app than anything else for lack of any other indicator.

Nah, she has something that looks more like a motorbike, but still has the shitty engine of a scooter tho(arround 130cc)

>Very hard to say without any outward indication and it also predates the cooperation with Facebook by quite some time. I think it far safer to assume it a third party app than anything else for lack of any other indicator.
Difficult to say considering Nokia once adopting windows phone as their phone OS got permission to make several must have "official" apps. The must have app publishers didn't want to waste resources on an untested OS themselves so Nokia developed them for them and put their own name on the app.

>Difficult to say considering Nokia once adopting windows phone as their phone OS got permission to make several must have "official" apps
Those official Nokia apps were very clearly made by Nokia and had Nokia's name in the store, making it very very simple. They were officially Nokia apps because they had the name Nokia on them, unlike the Facebook app where it very clearly says "Microsoft"

I upgraded from iPhone 4 to Lumia 950.
It has a great camera and I really like the desktop interface (especially the customization capabilities).
However, even though the screen is larger than my previous phone I make way more typos.
It seems to me that Apple puts a lot more effort into smooth user experience compared to Microsoft.
Also it'll just freeze on the lock screen occasionally which is pretty annoying.
My next phone will be an iPhone.

fucking horrible
not to mention the default apps require that you use your microsoft account and some don't work unless you can connect to the internet.
I can't even make a simple text file to keep a grocery list or whatever without using fucking OneNote.
Don't buy a windows phone.

>not to mention the default apps require that you use your microsoft account and some don't work unless you can connect to the internet.
There is an offline "account" version that let's you use the phone as a phone and browsing device. At least on windows phone 7 and 8. However just like android the phone wont let you install new shit without an account or trickery.

I have one. A Nokia Lumia 640
>Good battery
>Smooth Os
>Good screen and camera
>Cheap

I recently upgraded to W10 and is bredy gud so far

Android never again

never thought that huawei could be better than nokia. getting huawei mate 7 after year with lumia 1520 was like a fucking reborn, a miracle changing my life.. man lumia was so baad

my 950 is a great piece of hardware and all of Sup Forums can eat my dick

Windows Phone has a gorgeous and fluid UI, but it's pretty much shit-tier. Nothing works, but everything looks like it does.

Only go WP if you get a TOP-TIER phone, anything low and mid sucks hard.