How do we save desktops?

How do we save desktops?

There's nothing to save, they're just not the universal go-to solution for home computing anymore. Big deal.

Ctrl+S

Mini PC/nuc its the future consumer desktop

is this the new desktop thread

You don't.

Desktops are useless for the majority of the population, and I feel like most computer companies will stop making them in the long run besides a few being marketed as"gaming" machines.

Desktops will become more of a niche of sorts.

There is no saving now.
I've transformed all of the old desktops I've secured from garage sales, office closures, and garbage dumps into museum pieces - perfectly preserved and dusted so that my wife's children can see how far we've come in terms of technology. Got a Pentium 4, Core 2s, and almost every generation of the LGA 115X Dell, HP, and Lenovo prebuilts gutted, dusted, and dust-sealed for posterity.

My last battlerig is now a server for accessing VMs on the various tablets I have around the house and a PS4 for my gaming needs. There is no point in having a desktop anymore.

Can it be saved?

Most people use tablets or laptops for their casual computing needs.

Right now the desktop market is focused on gaming and CPU/GPU-intensive work.

>Desktops will become more of a niche of sorts.

Haven't they been a niche for a while now?

What about selling the individual desktop parts like what Newegg does? Do you think they will stop selling and manufacturing those too?

Neat. Can you post pics of your collection?

I need to ask Jamal, my wife's boyfriend, first

It was a joke, retard. Who the fuck plays games on consoles anyway?

I can't really see anything replacing them anytime soon.

There's nothing cozier than a comfy desk and chair with a huge monitor.

Big monitors are just too big to carry around like laptops and tablets.

Though I guess you could just hook your computer up to the big monitor when you get home, but that could be a hassle too.

As portable technology gets more powerful so you can take desktop-tier shit anywhere, I imagine desktops will get more powerful too, that you won't be able to fit in a portable computer.

I don't think they're quite there yet. A lot of schools and business use then just because they're easier to maintain and they generally hold up better than laptops.

I seriously doubt we'll see desktop parts discontinue, since really demanding computing will still benefit from desktops.

They're a professional/enthusiast tool now.
I don't have a problem with this.

make 'em sma-
yeah.

The thing is, the mobile devices are getting more powerful as well. It's gonna be even harder for desktops to compete.

Desktops haven't competed since the first tablets

Most people just want to surf the internet. Fuck a phone can do that. Now that the surface pro 4 has full windows on it, the average prebuilt is useless. Only gaming pcs and workstations will use em. Maybe businesses.

>my wife's children

my question is if the desktop market is dying. Why are their some many solutions and options to building a desktop.

I can't fucking stand using anything but a mouse and keyboard with 2+ monitors. I don't know how normies do it.

Work in an office environment and don't be a Sup Forums NEET and you'll see why they're never going away soon.

Make them smaller, cuter, more high tech looking.

an online store is pretty trivial when you've already got the supply chain

Stop buying prebuilt and make your own. Faggots

kill thunderbolt 3 and eGPUs? idk OP.

Bill them as companion devices to fill the functionality gaps in modern mobile devices (storage, always-on tasks, media serving, cloud sync, etc). I have a homebuilt mini-server that does this, and it's so fucking useful that I almost never need to go near an x86-based piece of hardware anymore. The only thing I'd change is beefing it the fuck up so it could run a virtual LAN of several VMs.

I'm waiting for desktops to become distributed computing centers for the wireless devices in your house. I'm kind of curious as to why no company has stepped in to fill this role yet.

Use your PC as a processing slave so your tablets and smartphones are just a battery powering a screen when within range.

Exactly. Have you ever tried the Microsoft Remote Desktop client for the iPad? It's kind of incredible. If I had a better computer on the other end of it, I'd imagine I could do a whole hell of a lot of Windows things from my iPad without missing a beat.

Nobody bothers any longer to do anything new in that direction, as investments wouldn't pay, so we are stuck with suboptimal stuff like ATX which is 20 years old already. Really wish there was an alternative which saves more space and has a smarter thermal design (or really any design at all but "We need more fans!!"). I was hoping that with the death of optical drives the form factor of desktops is now free to reiterate, but apparently nobody gives a shit any longer.

>what is NUC
>what is gigabyte brix
>what is the compute stick
>what are nettops in general

>image.jpg

Nucs and and everything in monitor solutions and compute sticks and such is enough for school and bussiness things

>Desktops haven't competed since the first tablets
Yeah that must be while everyone in the industry uses them.
Guess what, there's a market beyond your consumer kiddy playshit at home and it uses lots of desktops.
Many companies refuse to use virtual desktop infrastructure for lots of reasons.

>wish there was an alternative which saves more space and has a smarter thermal design
Have you slept for the last five years idiot?

None of those are in any reasonable way extendable, so you really can't compare NUCs to ATX.

If you're wanting newer iterations on desktop form factors, you ain't gettin' more extendability. From a market perspective, nobody gives half a fuck about extendability. The PC market is dying *precisely because* people don't even care about being able to swap out RAM or HDDs, let alone pimping their rides with all kinds of nerd gewgaws. If you want reiterations on desktop form factors, you're getting smaller, more power-efficient, less customizable designs, i.e. the NUC.

I think desktops are a luxury at this point.
Since I moved out, I've used nothing but a laptop. I just have it hooked up to a nice monitor with a mouse and keyboard, and I even hooked up an external GPU, so it's essentially a desktop that I can unplug everything from and take with me if I need to.
If I had money to blow, I'd probably build a nice PC, but I'm completely content with this setup for now.

Offices don't buy desktops anymore. Laptops are much more practical to bring in meeting, to a coworker's desk, at home, etc.

Plug in dock station at your own desk and enjoy 3 screens and a proper mouse+keyboard combo.

Source: I do work in an office environnement.