AMD has come up with another solution. Instead of adding more expensive graphics memory...

>AMD has come up with another solution. Instead of adding more expensive graphics memory, why not let users add their own in the form of M.2 solid state storage?
>The Radeon Pro SSG features two PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots for adding up to 1TB of NAND flash

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-radeon-pro-ssg-graphics-card-specs-price-release-date/

Nvidia on suicide watch.
Next generations of Radeons will have unlimited vram, with the right software you might be able to install the all the textures and shaders to the card PERMANENTLY giving you a yuuuge FPS boost.

>with professional driver support
this actually might be a thing then

Making the video cards modular might actually be the complete game changer for AMD.

Not necessarily a good thing. SSDs are for storing data, not working with data. They're still very slow compared to any form of RAM. In order to add VRAM to your GPU there would have to be some weird form of M.2 based RAM. And at that point you're just buying a Video Card without any VRAM.

might be interesting. we'll have to see what happens

New M.2 flash has the speed of 32GB/s. Faster than your average vram.

Should've listened to /biz/, $AMD gonna moon now.

>Next generations of Radeons will have unlimited vram,
No. They won't.

Are you seriously too fucking retarded to understand the delineation between the consumer cards and the professional ones?

>with the right software you might be able to install the all the textures and shaders to the card PERMANENTLY giving you a yuuuge FPS boost.
Fucking hell, no game is going to use this. This is a big deal for those specific industries that would benefit from this card. That industry does not include PC gaming.

Not every GPU advancement has to do with gaming you dumb fucking cock sucker.

>faster than your average vRAM
Nope. It's faster than having to go through the the PCI-e interface, to the CPU and then to the system RAM and back from a latency standpoint. But it's still not as fast as regular vRAM like GDDR5x, much less HBM2.

>using SSDs as RAM

>Not every GPU advancement has to do with gaming you dumb fucking cock sucker.
It literally is. Other industries don't bring in the money the games do. All the PC technologies in the last decade were created only for the sake of gaming, then implemented into other shit.

>But it's still not as fast as regular vRAM like GDDR5x, much less HBM2.
Not if you have a HBM2 buffer.

>affordability fetish

This is why Nvidia and Intel products always will be the better choice.

>Workstation GPU with SSD
>lol nvidia is just better man it can play dem VIDEOGAMES man who cares about AutoCAD or dat shit

>have midrange 2gb card
>barely hit 100% according to msi afterburner, not full settings of course as the card is pretty shit otherwise
I mean with 4/6/8/12/whatfuckingever gb on any card I can't phantom it will be an issue to even justify getting more VRam, when it's not close to the only thing that determines the performance of a GPU.
You remind me of kids that bloat their their computer based on how much RAM and disk space it has, or how they bloat GPUs based on how much VRAM.

>Professional card
>muh games lmao

The 1TB SSD storage is not VRAM, it's caching space that doesn't put load on the PCI bus, CPU, system memory, or storage devices.

That's exactly what VRAM does.

>$10,000 card

I have a 980ti with 6gb vram, I use a 1080p display
: - )

>We do not have Information about your IP

Poor nVidiot detected.

>games don't do this now
>it is never ever going to happen
>vidya companies aren't capable of changing the way they do things

Remember when people said we would never need more than 4gb of ram? Or 1gb of vram? Or that games won't support HD resolutions and that lcd monitors were a fad/waste of money? Probably not because you're most likely not old enough to remember, but people have been saying what you said about every single advancement since the television was invented. And guess what? They were all wrong.

that's bandwidth not the actual drive speed moron. lollllll

Reminds me of pic related (Matrox g200).

Why are those professional cards worth like nine grand when their performance is similar to a gaming gpu?

muh memory

Imagine a gpu that used l1 speed cache exclusively .

I mean, it's essentially a very large L2 cache for GPUs without falling to system ram which is a magnitude slower. They can make it huge unlike CPUs and with slower NAND instead of more GDDR5 because latency is less of an issue compared to bandwidth.

Because they aren't for gaming and the value of what they do comes from elsewhere like support, different drivers and different hardware at time like more FP64 units.

Professional video cards = Reliability + Accuracy + ROI
Consumer video cards = Nice feature set + Fastest to render X no matter the implicit cost in the background

The ssd thing is great for professionals. but for vidya it's not really any good

>not good for vidya
>can literally decompress textures and store 3D objects into fast memory for future referencing

imagine games where the fps gradually increases as more info gets buffered.

call suicide watch.

>1tb of video memory
this is great news, maybe we'll one day be able to hit 45 fps in ARMA3

Limited production prototype with extremely specialized software set

Will it max out modded new Vegas with enb?

Why do Intel & NVidia never come up with shit and AMD constantly does?

AMD take risks, and often they go wrong for them, but they improve, however fuckwads like Sup Forums always bash them.

Intel and NVidia always take small steps in their work, and are PRAISED for small steps (such as 5% improvement margin from Devil's Canyon to Skylake), they take risks often as well, but they're good at keeping it on the down low.

>nvidia has some slower ram for a portion of it
>3.5GB meme is born
>amd proposes something MUCH slower
>AMD is the best thing evar

Damn AMD shills.

Oh no, muh gaymes!

>unlimited vram
fucking idiot
compare the speed on actual on-board memory to this plugin shit

could be On-Card M.2

Intel has 20gb/s SSDs.

How do you know AMD doesn't have the SSDs to go with the technology?

As it has already been said, a 1tb SSD with a big enough HBM2 buffer will perform better than any VRAM.

>Why do Intel & NVidia never come up with shit and AMD constantly does?
AMD got the idea to play for the future with the Fusion initiative, since then they been ahead of the curve with new underdeveloped tech, while Nvidia and Intel keep maturing their proved stuff
It's finally paying off since Nvidia/Intel grew lazy due to the underdevelopment of AMD's stuff

a lot of people perceive high cost = value

>$9999
oh man even nvidia fags will love this

>1TB VRAM

You realise these cost 10k right?

>can load any game completely on VRAM
>no load times
please tell me someone will make this a thing

Imagine the draw distances.

I don't think it works like that..

Oh, so there are m.2 slots on it like I was thinking of yesterday.

it's a $1000 card in beta with devkits costing $10,000 that's being marketed to professionals who laugh at such small sums of money

In terms of gaming, this would probably have minimal benefits, particularly if they don't optimize the drivers for it, but the main thing will be bypassing the CPU for access to the storage when doing compute tasks.

The other reason it won't particularly help gaming is that, assuming you can't just install the game into the Video SSD directly, the game engine wouldn't know that it was allowed to move basically everything onto the graphics card in one go unless it was updated to work specifically with this configuration, so it would under utilize the Video SSD.

>only $1000
Holy fuck I expected it to cost waaaaay fucking more.
This thing is going to become god for render farms.

No one knows the final price yet. Don't take $1000 seriously.

Although I don't expect it to be nearly the same scale as the professional cards I could reasonably see the consumer models having a smaller drive on it as a cache when HBM cards become available.

If that happens we may see vram in cards plateau or even go down for a while.

>Why do Intel & NVidia never come up with shit and AMD constantly does?

Maybe because Intel and Nvidia both have the mental capacity to realise that replacing VRAM with NAND on ma computer card is an unbelievably fucking stupid idea.

nvidia and intel are totally rendering video for real-time editing at 8k 90 fps right?

>Other industries don't bring in the money the games do.

>Next time try googling before spouting bullshit. Gaming crowd is only the most susceptible to marketing, and by far not who generates the most income.
Supply contracts for instance, rake in more money than you would ever imagine.

>Rendering video for real time editing
Yeah, the 0.0000000000001% of computer users with any actual utility for things such as this.
AMD is truly saved.

>moving the goalposts
>muh gaems

This is pretty cool for deep art rendering.

it's not vram you retards, it's like a swap space for the gpu to avoid going through the pci-e slot then to the cpu then to the ram or ssd/hdd
it's a great way to avoid streaming data to the gpu on the fly

>New M.2 flash has the speed of 32GB/s. Faster than your average vram.

Lol wat?
Current GPUs have memory bandwidth several times faster.

Why is memory size measured in GiB and bandwidth measured in GB?

ITT: Faggots who think this card is meant for LE GAYMEN

It's a workstation card you god damn retards. The only people on suicide watch are Quaddro owners.

This is fucking Sup Forums now, good lord.

Imagine if your game, instead of running at 60fps, ran at 30fps until you'd been playing for an hour

i bet its history+IEC related nonsense crap

Imagine if you aren't playing games on a workstation rendering card
I know for a Sup Forumstard this is unimaginable but please try

Can't they just make good CPU and GPUs instead of this shit?

>NVIDIA
>Advertises it as 4GB card
>AMD
>Advertises it as a whatever GB card + SSD
At least they are honest.

>received a call from a customer
>hey man my computer has a problem
>let me help you, for information what are your computer specs?
>my beast has a 3GB video card 4Gb of ram
>Ehm, any other detail?
>Dude I don't know, I'm not a nerd

Wouldn't it make more sense to use ram sticks instead of something that ends up looking like swap?

It is a good GPU, just not for children's video games.

Fucking this, seriously so sick of the Sup Forumsidiot invasion around here since the latest round of GPUs launched. Also, post Amada.

>New M.2 flash has the speed of 32GB/s. Faster than your average vram.

m.2 has 4x PCIe 3.0 lanes, which is 32 gigabit/s (i.e., 4 GB/s not 32 GB/s).
don't know if this is bait or general retardation, but it needed to be corrected.

Perfect chips

How is this any faster than RAM -> GPU?

I have 128GB RAM, this SSD shit means nothing to me

You mean RAM -> PCIe bus -> GPU

that would be awesome for machine learning.
I can only imagine full training data sets stored as cache.

As opposed to SSD -> PCIe bus -> GPU

You can't have 500+GB RAM.
Besides, RAM is a lot more expensive than SSDs.

And this isn't designed for "speed" as in gaming, it's designed to have fairly fast access lots of data required for rendering.

>You can't have 500+GB RAM.
Many motherboards support 1 TiB of RAM.
32x 32 GiB

Finally I can install all Skyrim mods ever made and just be done with it

>fairly fast access lots of data required for rendering

Sounds like what SSDs already do.

Your GPU isn't connected with 2x PCIe-3.0 slots.

>TiB

1 TiB = 2^40 Byte

>post Amada
good idea

Yeah, no shit, the irony is using a unit that sounds like a retarded kid trying to sing.

Keep in mind:

This is aimed at professionals. Where VRAM speed isn't AS big a deal. Really, not having to use mechanical SWAP for VRAM is the big deal when you have scenes that can be >32gb in size. And this aims to alleviate that. You can have SSD RAID SWAP ON the card itself. So, still not as fast as, you know, 256gbs of VRAM, but lightyears faster than trying to travel over the interface and more to get some stuff off the SSD/HDD it shares with your OS/Programs/Storage.

We might see slotted VRAM from AMD at some point because of this in the "Enthusiast Gaming" area if it takes off. With AMD branded VRAM modules selling for some ungodly price. But with the idea that "Hey, buy this card with a 4GB module in the box, buy another 4GBs when you want it. Or swap up to 16, 32, or more~! Only $176 per 4GB module, $700 for 16GB Modules!" but that would really put AMD behind the game in terms of the dev time and manufacturer setup they'd have to do for that, versus keeping up with nVidia's advances.

i don't understand, if NAND is fast enough to be used as graphics memory, why do we still have ram?

>graphics are the only thing that matters
Console plebs everyone

>NAND is fast enough to be used as graphics memory

Its not.

The whole industry will be transitioning to HBM over the next few years and it requires too much integration to allow that

>graphics memory is so NVIDIA-ish, let's use flash storage instead
>AMD for the wiiiiiin AMD for teh epic win

samsungs latest m.2s only hit 3GB/s
this is still fantastic for working with 4K footage, these cards could be a god send for CGI work

I have a 980m with 8GB vram ;)

>>inb4 you use it (I only play CS GO)

Given that m.2 and even u.2 are only 4 GB/s and that PCIe 3.0 x16 is 16 GB/s, there's literally no performance advantage to be had in slapping commodity SSDs on a GPU.

A bespoke on-GPU SSD solution with >10 GB/s of bandwidth would consume at least 100W with this generation's manufacturing tech, so performance isn't really a big justification for this.