So, it seems the new Nintendo NX is going to be powered by a Nvidia Tegra chipset

So, it seems the new Nintendo NX is going to be powered by a Nvidia Tegra chipset.

Finally a console with a REAL GPU and CPU. Unlike AMD Laguars.

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu
anandtech.com/show/9902/nvidia-discloses-2016-tegra
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who's nintendow?

>Tegra
kek

>chipset made for cellphones
>not being obsolete in 6 months
Gee, I wonder why console makers put so much effort into developing specialized hardware that's ahead of the industry.

you mean the SOCs that were years behind the time when the ps4 and xbox came out?

The NX is using a cutting edge chipset from Nvidia... just think, the 3ds was using a 233mhz ARM CPU, the level of performance Nintendo could optimise this for is insane.

I won't be surprised if games look better than their PS4 counterparts.

>made in 2015, already obsolete as fuck
>25.6 GB/s vRAM (actually system RAM)
>512 GFLOPS of FP32 performance, significantly less for FP32
>constant overheating problems
RIP in peace nintendough

>I won't be surprised if games look better than their PS4 counterparts.
I'm not a consolefag but did you just seriously compare a ~2,000 GFLOPS iGPU with fast GDDR5 vRAM to a 500 GFLOPS iGPU that uses slow as fuck system RAM and has 500 GFLOPS of gpu power before it starts overheating in seconds and throttles down to ~300 GFLOPS or less?

Nintendo should just make an android phone or accessory control pad for smartphones. It's a really bad idea to continue this concept of handhelds that have no other function except maybe a basic browser. Investors are already disappointed with how little money Nintendo is earning with Pokémon go. I fear it's not going to end well for them.

inb4 throttling n' overheating pos

>nvidia
prepare for OOA (obsolete on arrival)

One coud say the same thing about the Wii U

>>>Also sounds like shit, worst of both worlds, crap graphics when hooked up to a TV and awful battery life/weight. Blunder of the century.

The CPUs were the low end cores meant for netbooks and shit yeah, but they weren't out of date. AMDs low end mobile shit was one of the few areas they could directly compete with Intel.

What were the alternatives? Two separate chips for CPU and GPU would raise costs. Nvidia uses ARM so developer costs would be higher for Sony and Microsoft.

Honestly the only thing I'm surprised is that Nintendo didn't use Tegra on a handheld sooner. RIP backwards compatibility if it's in the NX though.

this might be the first time i won't get a nintendo system, due to that it inherits most likely nvidia internals

i won't never ever support ngreedy in any single way

Actually everything Nintendo releases.

It's not using that

It's using the next-gen Tegra which is gonna be announced in August

16nm, Pascal GPU

Worst girl

It's still going to be barely more powerful than the Wii U was.

>Nvidia Tegra
Bullshit

That would mean incompatibility with basically all former games.

I just want Nintendo to be successful again.

They don't plan on backwards compatibility.

>PiiU 352 GFlops
>Tegra Pascal over 1 TFLOPs

YEAH NO

>implying
Tegra pascal will be just as shit as all the other tegras have been.

If it's Tegra Parker I'm hyped.

>>Tegra Pascal over 1 TFLOPs
On what planet is a portable device going to pull those kind of numbers? Oh yeah, out of your ass.

Wii U has ~350 GFlops and 12.80 GB/s Memory Bandwidth, with only 550 MHz frequency, and also only has DDR3. And this is in comparison with that other user's (or yours) post.
Source for specs: techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu
Seeing there will be a new generation of Nvidia Tegra, it will be completely smashing it to the ground.

Tegra is the fastest and most powerful, most full features SoC in the world

STAY MAD, AYYMDPOORFAG

Nothing AYYMD makes can even fit in mobile

Even Intel has retreated from mobile by cancelling Broxton

x86 is finished, ARM is the only relevant thing in mobile

Its 1TFLOP half precision, which is meaningless since literally no one measures theoretical compute throughput this way.
Its only 512FLOPS single precision.

You fell for Nvidia's Jew marketing.

see above

That's a fucking death sentence. kektendo does not have as many fans as it used to, it needs to have as many games as possible for their customers if they want to stay relevant.

This. It's not really nvidiots fault to be honest. There's only so much you can cram in a 10-15W TDP mobile SoC.

Tegra X1 is already 512GFlops/1TFlop FP16

Tegra-Next will easily be double the performance, just shows AYYMDPOORFAGS are clueless, retarded people that loves kissing AYYMD ass all the time

You're retarded, Tegra X1 is 512GFlops/1TFlop FP16

It's already faster than PiiU's AYYMD GPU

It's gonna get smashed by Pascal GPU in the 16nm Tegra

FP16 is not enough for games?
ok
Have fun being delusional my acquaintance.

>hurr durr handheld devices that happen to play video games are not technology XD

then explain smartphone threads to me

Smartphones do a lot more than play games though. On Wii U you can browse hentai I guess.

20nm planar process sucks for mobiles, Nintendo will use 16nm FINFET Tegra for better battery life, you too dumb to grasp or understand that, not my problem

I think I am too dumb to understand how what you said has any relevance, yes.

>Tegra-Next will easily be double the performance
It will be 25% improvement at most. And will require passive cooling since it's meant to be in a tablet-like device.

It's not, already leaked it's an X1, Maxwell based, eight core config.

Wii U was totally Nintendo's fault performancewise. They wanted an archaic VLIW5 design based off RV770 tech, let alone RV870 or RV970.

>FP16 is not enough for games?
"It is intended for storage (of many floating-point values where higher precision need not be stored), not for performing arithmetic computations."

Yes it is fucking useless and Jewvidya is lying out their teeth as usual.

>32 bit
>full of binary blobs
>dat amount of games
lol what a p.o.s

Are you stupid or what?

Developer units are not final consumer units

I am pretty positive those 'arithmetic computations' are supposed to be complicated formulas and equations which require double precision, which is what Wikipedia is referring to. A FP16 computational mistake in a game is physically unnoticeable.

You don't develop on a device with a different CPU architecture (bL 4xA57+4xA53 vs 4x Denver 2), with a different core count (4+4 vs 4), with a different GPU architecture, and a different memory technology (DDR4 vs GDDR5)

Are you fucking stupid or what?

Tegra 16nm has 4 A57 cores, or do you not fucking READ?

anandtech.com/show/9902/nvidia-discloses-2016-tegra

>2016 "Parker"
>2x NVIDIA Denver + 4x ARM Cortex A57

U MAD, FAGGOT?

The AMD GPU based on 2008 tech that is 1/5th the power as the 2008 high end AMD chip?

Not surprised desu.

There's two configurations bruv, 4 Denver cores or 2 Denver and 4 A57; keep up with the leaks.

None of it is going to matter, because the NX won't be on store shelves for another few years if they wait for Parker. Maybe they can pull a PS 4.5 but I doubt it.

Thats what I've been saying. NX is X1

so if nvidia's doing the NX who was AMD's client for their third custom design?

My guess is Apple

I agree, next gen Mac GPUs,

wtf i hate nintendo now

They have strayed from the light.

kek

Yes, they will go from 240p to 1440p, from dual core 266mhz (ARM) to eight core at upper 1.8Ghz (x86).

How does it feel to be so dumb?

I'll go with AMD.

amdfags on suicide watch

Shit like no BC for the NX is why I decided to hack my 3DS and enjoy all games from consoles before it, fuck em, they clearly don't care about their previous consoles going forward

they never have, the only reason the Wii could play Gamecube games was that they used the same architecture, same with Wii and Wii U.
The only reason the original DS could play GBA games was because Nintendo was afraid that nobody would buy it because there were so few games for it. The only reason the 3DS can play DS games is that it uses the same architecture as the original DS.

If the specs are real I'd say the NX will easily be powerful enough to run everything up to the GC, maybe even Wii if it had a means of supporting ridiculous waggle controllers.

Emulated? Easily.
Will Nintendo do it? Likely not. They haven't even released any GBA games for the 3DS virtual console, and no SNES games for the original 3DS virtual console, even though it can emulate both easily, and can even run GBA games natively.

they are making pachinco machines

will it be even more expensive on launch though? because thats why i didnt bother with wii u in the first place. anything over 300 dollars and i wont even consider it

they're gonna sell the handheld part of it for less than 200 and the docking station for another 150
calling it now

The o3ds has nowhere near enough power to emulate GBA games.

The way the 3ds works is there are "2" processors, arm9 and arm11. When in 3ds mode, the home menu and all that are handled by the arm9 processor, and games are run on arm11. In DS mode, the games have to be run on arm9.this is fine for cartridges, because the 3ds just behaves like an original ds. However, for "virtual console" titles, Nintendo adds in extras like savestates and pausing. You can't do any of that while the game is running off of arm9, because the "3ds" part of the system is disabled.

So basically I just went full autism, and the 3ds can't run GBA games on arm 11 and it can't act as a proper 3ds while running games on arm9, so Nintendo decided shit wasn't good enough and limited GBA games to ambassador edition consoles.

>2x Denver

Cute, Nvidia thinks it can into CPUs.

I know how the 3DS works. The 3DS has enough power on it to emulate GBA games, maybe not at all of them, and some of the ones that work may not work at full speed, but it works.

Also there are no "Ambassador Edition" consoles, the only difference between Ambassador consoles and non-Ambassador are the tickets that are installed to the system.

Yeah I know that part. It's just that
>I went full autism
Yeah, no. It totally could run it with some translation layer like how WINE works with Linux, but full emulation won't happen.

Plus the system's nearly dead anyway. I give it like a year max.

>but full emulation won't happen.
it already has happened. there have been GBA emulators for 3DS out for years.

Can't go worse then amd.

Lol, 6 year old shitty Jaguar cores piss on the fanciest ARMshit today.

I think he meant perfect emulators.

This is great though. Instead of wasting money on two Nintendo consoles, we can ride it out this gen with just this hybrid NX.

>All the people believing leaks
The only time they touched Tegra was with a test board they made to see if Tegra would work. Obviously that got nowhere.