Want to install Debian, no ethernet port, God help me with Broadcom

Want to install Debian, no ethernet port, God help me with Broadcom.
>Sup Forums: oh just get the packages and feed them to the netinstaller
Doesn't work.
>Sup Forums: oh just get the non-free image
Doesn't have the drivers.
>Sup Forums: oh just install the non-free image and then dpkg in the packages
Half of the dependencies are missing, like gcc. I had to follow the trail of breadcrumbs and shuttle over fifteen more packages.
>Sup Forums: that worked right?
NO APPARENTLY I NEED TO FUCKING UPDATE THE KERNEL TOO

So fuck Debian. I've paid my dues. What's a halfway respectable distro that doesn't require this much of a ballache to get online?

What broadcom is it? You tried b43-fwcutter I'm assuming?

use a USB ethernet adapter if you're that stupid

The package recommended by the Debian site is "not supported by b43-fwcutter."

Fuck you, it's not "stupid." It's asinine. It is not okay to be asked to update the kernel by shuttling things around on a USB drive when I've already picked the non-free image.

broadcom-sta-dkms in non-free repo
dkms in free repo
enjoy

That's exactly what I did. Started with the dkms package. I was missing three dependencies: make, patch and gcc. Do you know how many more dependencies there are down the gcc rabbit hole? About a dozen. So I installed them all manually, then dpkg, then broadcom-sta-dkms.

End result? "Oh sorry you've not got the right kernel version."

No. That's not okay.

*all manually, then dkms, then broadcom
Sorry, too much dpkg tonight.

Also I forgot to answer your first question. BCM4312

broadcom lmao its the poorest of the poor chips why even bother just remove the shitty broadcom card and put in a $7 atheros if you want to use debian so badly

you should be able to get the firmware, do the fwcutter thing into /lib/firmware, and be running on b43 without compiling or anything

>be running on b43
Why am I only finding ways to even acquire b43 (not in /lib/firmware) on some Ubuntu help site linking to openwrt.org?!

No. This stops here. This is ridiculous.

Is there a half-decent distro I can get which doesn't require this many hoops to be jumped, or should I just install Ubuntu and add Sup Forums to my hosts file?

>No. That's not okay.
You are correct. No one should defend what you've had to put up with.

I used to be like you. Then I found Fedora.

come over to the BunsenLabs (debian with some shit thrown over it) side

I just installed BL.

I'm back to not being able to install dkms because of missing dependencies.

Are you retarded?
You installed a stability oriented distro with a old kernel on a very new laptop.
No fucking shit it'll be missing drivers. Go install fedora and fuck off.

Manjaro has wireless working out of the box :^)

You can't "no shit" missing proprietary drivers when using an image specifically made to include non-free proprietary drivers.

But fine, they weren't there. No problem. I got them myself, shuttled them over. Realized how many dependencies I needed to fulfill, shuttled those packages over too. When I'm getting stuff manually for the exact release version that I'm running, yes, they HAVE to work. After what I've done it is not okay to still fall through.

but you've learned a valuable lesson, broadcom is trash

was this one of the reasons why ubuntu was conceived?

I knew that going in. First line:
>Want to install Debian, no ethernet port, God help me with Broadcom.

But I've reached the point where this stopped being solely Broadcom's shit.

Anyway fuck it, a couple people have said Fedora so that's where this train is heading.

Proprietary or not they're still old you cunt.
old drivers dont work with new hardware, it's not fucking rocket science.

>Fedora
I'll be expecting another thread with you bitching about mp3 files not working then.

ooooor... ubuntu net install

Oh so because they're old, that's why they're specifically said to work with the chipset?

>Broadcom STA is a binary-only device driver to support the following IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43142-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, BCM43228-, BCM4331-, BCM4360-, and BCM4352-based hardware.

On the download page, for the appropriate release, right off of debian.org

That's not "old." That's "this is what you use for the version you've selected."

If the only thing you know how to do is be wrong, go volunteer some time to the Debian crew. Evidently they love taking on people of your mental caliber.

Arch linux to me is very similar to debian minimal install. If you want that kind of experience it's a good choice, otherwise Fedora. Both work on most hardware.

I've used both extensively and can recommend them without regret.

I was hoping for halfway respectable.

I'll bitch if it claims to be possible two or three and yet isn't.

Linux is not for you. I reccomend windows 10

It's not that hard to get working. He's just buttmad because he loves debian so much.

Hey Pajeet, master of English spelling, are you mentally retarded because you came from mixed jizz in your whore mother's pussy? Go tell someone else to install Windows so you can call them about a wirus. You're a waste of the spices you blow out your ass on the side of the road.

I'm white. Your room temperature IQ is too low to install an OS. Buy a new ultrabook with windows 10 installed.

>Want to install Debian
lmfao, just use ubuntu

>BunsenLabs
How good is BunsenLabs Linux?

I'm on Debian Jessie (stable) + XFCE and it's so comfy and stable, it just works

BunsenLabs is based on Jessie so that's good, the developers are sane

Also the screenshots on their site look great, I like the minimal sophisticated look, the developers have taste (unlike the mint and ubuntu devs)

But how easy is to install.
Debian Jessie + XFCE is install and forget, works great and you can be productive immediately and with 2-3 packages extra it looks good too

Is BunsenLabs Linux a similar experience or you have to rice it to make it look as good as the screenshots?
And can you be productive in it or is it just looks?