bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
[YouTube] Crockford on JavaScript - Volume 1: The Early Years lecture series.

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>How to get started
[YouTube] WATCH THIS IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A WEB DEVELOPER! - Web Development Career advice - "WATCH THIS IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A WEB DEVELOPER! - Web Development Career advice"
[YouTube] Javascript is Easy - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com
openshift.com/
scaleway.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/
stackoverflow.com/questions/549/the-definitive-guide-to-form-based-website-authentication
github.com/ircmaxell/password_compat
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

/wdg/ what is your opinion of hamburger menus in desktop sites?

How can I display a table column which basicallh just acts like a row counter (not id) using ng-repeat? I can use $index+1 e.g., but the problem is that there are multiple pages because the table is too long, so when I change a page with angular, $index starts counting from 1 again. Can't use id's because those change, just need a simple row counter that keeps the current position when I switch to another page.

Don't do that if you have enough space and are doing it just for the looks.

->

>table
>basicallh
>ng-repeat

W-we're all gonna make it...

A while back I created a wifi hotspot mapper, but I kinda realized it eats data like crazy. The data-payload starts getting in the megabyte range after only about an hour of use. (polling a complete list of wifi hotspots, with detailed info about each hotspot, every 10 seconds, and associating it with your geographical position and time-index)

So today I decided to take the wifi hotspot mapper, and reduce it to a mere geographical position logger. Which logs your position over time. And nothing else.

But now it is pretty light-weight, and can be used to map out my drives. And I like driving around quite a lot, so this is pretty cool for me. I never have to worry about getting lost, or forgetting which way I came, because now I have my own webapp to keep track of it for me, and its light weight enough that I don't have to worry about how much data I'm storing

I can't wait to conduct more drives with my position logger

oh, and I wrote a little something to keep reminding me what my laptop battery level is at. If it doesn't print to console, then i'll forget to check, and my laptop will die on me.

So now I have it printing to console so I'll keep seeing it

Any advice on this use case?

I'm building a fantasy football clone webapp. It will be barebone af, only using openresty+postgres for now + plain html/js/css for frontend, no frameworks.

I have my tables set up e.g, users, players, teams. I have this use case:
players can see any team going to a url like
../team/{team-id} but can only edit a team if it is their own.

1. I guess I need something conditional in my js based on some kind of session information to only add relevant html someone is browsing their own team e.g. can't POST a new lineup from the UI

2. Restrict not to access the API by creating requests with e.g. curl

Is this the right track? Can I achieve this by picking a nginx session module?

or you can just use openresty or whatever (i'm not familiar with this technology).

- The basic idea is just to require a user to authenticate themselves
- associate user data with a session/cookie/token
- somewhere associated with the user needs to be an array of names of all the teams they are a part of.

Then you show the data/markup for each team.

-------------

DO NOT think of it as "having all the teams, hiding the ones that are not relevant to this user"

DO think of it as "having a user, showing all teams relevant to the user"

appreciated, thanks

>fantasy football clone webapp
why is this such a common idea lately

I'm starting a web design and development course in September, anything that I should expect?

WOw, PHP is disgusting

outdated information

It will be more like a general manager game, but generally it is fun, easy, football is popular and exploding, if it becomes successful you might get some dosh in return.
Not that I'm seeing it everywhere.

Really? The uni i'm going to is pretty good and they have really good technologies, the teachers seem to be very good and well informed.

STOP. Go fucking learn how to use PDO instead of mysqli. It'll only take you two hours.

Secondly, define your connection data somewhere else then include it. That way when you make the switch from development to a production server and you need to change the password/user you only have to do it once.

Third, you don't need to section off your code into multiple tag.

Pajeets and SJW

Academia for Convocationals are always behind unless your school has proper R&D or an Open Source program

I am aware of this, I am into 3 years of diversity dindu hell. The uni im going to is very liberal and trying to push multiculturalism. Its just that this uni seems to be the best for web development and networking. Then im straight out of the country to find a job somewhere more white.

Because that is beginners code.

is there any cheap + reliable paas for Symfony applications? I like platform.sh but their PHP version is older than my last entry in the "I had sex"-log and they are too expensive.

You can probably self teach yourself more than you'll learn in that course in a shorter period of time.

And hand himself a degree at the end too, right?

Because degrees are so useful, right?

A degree might not teach you much, but it will look better than not having one when you are attempting to get out of your parent's basement.

Indeed, they are. Not having one won't close any doors, but having one will surely give you an advantage.

>another page

What is this, not 2016?

what should i do with these?

Those are terrible + .xyz.

Let them expire

Obviously make websites about weeb shit

xyz is good enough for google

i bought them but i dont know how to do web stuff, im struggling with making a homepage for firefox

Why did you buy them then?

they were on sale
at the time i thought "ill learn and make a cool site"
and i just started the introduction page at w3schools an hour ago

>Buy some shitty domains
>low key advertise them on Tibetan yak breeding enthusiast sites
> ?????
> Not profit because .xyz namespace is still wide open and dirt cheap so nobody wants them

w3 is outdated shit, start with one of the resources in the OP

avoid w3schools as much as possible, all the shit there was copypasted from stackoverflow answers

if you need documentation use developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

PHP hate aside, is Drupal still the best free CMS for developing sites?

The custom post types of Wordpress look incredibly limited and I'm unfamiliar with other systems.

Without writing code, can another CMS provide:
>Custom image cropping selection for users
>Youtube parsing
>Automatic geocoding and mapping layer
>Apache Solr integration for granular search
>Complete control over custom data types and fields

im looking through them currently, and w3 is in the learning material user. shouldn't OP take it out?

Fuck django-formtools, I can see why it's no longer part of the core library

Fuck, you're right. The idiot even copied only the YT titles. This is what happens when you let a faggot create the thread.

I made a new OP like a month ago with updated links, but some fuckass keeps using the old version

No, Drupal is a bloated piece of shit. Wordpress isn't limited at all.

If you HAD to choose one, React or Angular2? Angular1 is not an option due to the inevitability that support drops for it completely sooner than 2

For a non-real time app that deals with user submissions and relies on geospatial data, should I use PHP (easy and fast) or Node.js (What DB? Mongo? Redis?)

I've developed custom Wordpress theme so I know a little about it. I don't care if it's "bloated" (which usually just means flexible), I care about how long it takes me to develop the website.

If Wordpress isn't limited, how would you (for example) add a custom field which is an image (restricted to JPG/PNG less than 400KB), which lets the user dynamically crop it on screen, and then you create a thumbnail scaling on the x axis. All without writing any code.

If it can't do that, it's limited in comparison to Drupal.

React, but neither is an awful option.

Is it worth switching to Angular or React from jQuery?

Without writing code? Use the ACF plugin.

pretty sure they go hand in hand, I know that angular at least requires jQuery (an older version though, 2)

post it
I'll make the next thread with it if I'm here

Why does everyone jump to meme databases like Mongo?

Just use a proper ACID database like Postgres. I think people underestimate how much data and speed you can get out of a standard Relational Database. Without the limitations.

As for language, whichever you're familiar with. If you don't know anything, I'd pick Scala.

Doesn't offer cropping

>Why does everyone jump to meme databases like Mongo?
Same reason people jump to meme frameworks.

totally dfifferent things, with completly different objectives
>I know that angular at least requires jQuery (an older version though, 2)
wrong on all levels, uyou are probably thinking about the bootstrap js/extensions which requires jquery (there are native angular syntax only "ports" though, angular-ui-bootstrap so that you dont mneed to include jquery on a angular project just because of bootstrap)

So you little want to do 0% amount of coding? It's called Web Development for a reason.

I was just curious what other powerful CMS systems there are.

I don't mind coding, but I don't wish to spend 20 days developing a site in a CMS when another could do it in 10.

All three of those things are completely different. Angular is an MVC framework, React is just the V, and jQuery is a common general purpose library.

It's on my other PC, but I'll reply to this post with it later when I get a chance later if I don't forget.

Mongo is popular because they market the MEME stack bullshit to noobs and then they enter the workforce thinking it's a real database.

Drupal is good if you want more than a blogging platform where users can register and post content themselves.

Like said, it's slow compared to WP, this is where cache comes into play and can make it as fast as WP and offer a lot more in terms of customization.

Use Drupal 8 if you're going to use it.

Wordpress has a cache too though.

Sure, but once you're serving cached pages it doesn't matter which backend you're using and should use the one that suits your site the best.

What's /wdg/s preferred method?

Say we were to build a login system. How would /wdg/ go about it? I know there's no right or wrong here. I've done this before but I'm interested in other peoples views.

Server side languages like PHP, etc offer session functionality. I understand when creating a PHP session you are telling PHP to store a cookie in the users browser, it would use the value of that cookie to relate to some data stored on the server, these being the session variables you created.

On the other hand, you might prefer to skip PHP sessions and create your own method of keeping track of login session. Say you generated an access token, a random string of characters, etc. Then storing this in a data base, and then setting it as a cookie in the users browser, however you wanna do it, hashed, etc, so long as the server can read that cookie and relate it to a an access token value in the database that relates to a user.

What are the advantages and disadvantages in your opinions of using either methods.

I've written custom systems with PHP, and just used the phpass library for hashing passwords in the db (bcrypt implementation) and PHP Sessions.

>create your own method
Only if you know what you're doing. Read this stackoverflow.com/questions/549/the-definitive-guide-to-form-based-website-authentication

my preferred method? use a framework with login and auth api because there's no point in doing that yourself in this day and age

>phpass library for hashing passwords in the db (bcrypt implementation)
What's the point of this when password_hash() exists?

why the fuck is stroking 20 circles in a canvas slower than filling hundreds?

God I hate Cloudflare. It's timing out again, when using the IP loads the page just fine. Wish there was some better free solution.

password_hash only existed since PHP 5.5, I was making sites before that.

Use postgres. You can store objects as Json blobs and write sql queries against said blobs. No need for meemgodb or cache storing shit in redis

Use react. Ng wasn't meant for large scale data.

I can't be bothered to find it but there was a guy who glued react together with ng so that you could render massive amounts of data real quick, while still keeping ng in the loop. Could always try that

This
I would rather a degree to show off to employers.
I'm still not 100% on the course or whether I should do networking and just get a job building and maintain a network.
I can change if I realise in the first term that I dont enjoy the course.

using a nodejs server I would use passport + restify for the backend

front end, would use angular 2, or react + fetch and a css library like bootstrap or basscss

Thing is that this is a project from a place I intern in and I can't control it. I know it's deprecated and the amount of bloat is amazing. Literally everything that could be made with angular was made with it, even css bootstrap has some angular framework on top of it.

You could try to find work WHILE working on the degree. I'm actually planning to finish up my degree this next year after taking a 2 year break. I've been freelancing off and on the past year and a half, so I'm just going to continue doing that while taking courses.

I'd install Devise and be done with it in 30 seconds.

A button that says "menu" wins in all usability tests. Hamburger and kebab menus are garbage on any size device.

>kebab menus
What are kebab menus?

Hey guys I'm learning web development

Is Phoenix/elixir worth learning or should I learn the standard web stack?

I'm really liking Phoenix because it's functional and I hear erlang is a beast

If you're just doing it for fun, go for it. Not a huge amount of erlang jobs around though, especially outside the bay area.

It's actually existed some time before that
> github.com/ircmaxell/password_compat

If you're just learning I'd go with Rails. There are a lot of Rails jobs, there's a lot more documentation, third party packages exist for almost everything, and Rails is a huge inspiration on Phoenix. Several of the Phoenix developers are also Rails core developers.

I know both and I'd still use Rails in most cases because the community is so much bigger and it's still much faster than anything at getting a website up and running and features implemented.

If you're already experienced at web development, are just doing it for fun and don't mind reimplementing a lot Phoenix is a good choice.

Developing on WP is very basic- there is usually way to add needed functionality but anything advanced will quickly become very complicated and hackish. Also very bad codebase.
Drupal is very powerful and good code but you are expected to adapt Drupals way of thinking what usually means plugin for everything, a lot of configuring in admin and learning million different APIs.

In Drupal you are expted to install plugin and configure needed functionality out of it. Good if you are beginner or nonprogrammer.

oh I hate kebab menus

hamburger and bento are okay, though I agree with the user that said just having the text is best option.

Will an app using the node.js built in http module hold up under low-mid usage on its own? Or should I definitely always put it behind nginx or something?

What do you consider low-mid usage? In general, people stress way too much about server side performance when it will never, ever be an issue for 99.9% of all websites. I have a $5/month server on Digital Ocean running an RoR app that regularly needs to handle about 1,500 requests per second with no caching and I've never had a problem with it.

I'd always serve the static assets with nginx or put them on a CDN though.

>Double Hamburger

Stay classy, America.

I guess what I wanted to know was how much usage can a minimally built node server take before I seriously need to start dealing with caching and whatnot, but based on your numbers it sounds like I should be fine.

>Is Phoenix/elixir worth learning

no lol

I might as well wipe my ass with mine. It would be just as useful.

Phoenix is great.

>Work on website
>Push up a major update
>Just have to test out the payments system in production and polish some stuff before I can try to do a real release
>Family vacation sneaks up on me
>Leave for it for two weeks, have a good time
>Time to leave
>Already made plans to test site out with some buddies when I get back
>Suddenly, flight issues
>I am not stuck in New Jersey until Saturday
>Can't test out the shit I want to in person
>Website launch is delayed
>I will most likely be just starting college up again when launching, so I'll have to deal with all that stress and getting acclimated to my new classes

Jesus, webdev is suffering even when you aren't programming in horrible languages like JS.

whaddap

I'm looking for a hosting service that can handle about 5000 simultaneous visits.

I'm in Chile if that makes any difference.

Can anyone reccomend?

Cheers

AWS

You sound like a little bitch. Stop whining and get it done.