Has anyone on Sup Forums actually used macOS for an extended period of time and disliked it?

Has anyone on Sup Forums actually used macOS for an extended period of time and disliked it?

bumping this for you OP

Nobody is that gay

A month, didn't like it.

what was wrong with it?
i've never tried it before desu

A year.
Hate it.

No wait, two years.

I don't dislike it, but the "no software" meme really is true, at least if you're interested in embedded shit. I wind up using a VM about 20% of the time.

No one on Sup Forums who hates macOS has used it. Arguments are never provided.

Well the problem is that I like GNOME 3 too much. Apple's UI is like that, but worsened. That's the problem

What's worse?

Several times I've tried to run mac os in a vm, hackintosh like. Just so I could try it for myself, apparently I'm retarded because I couldn't install mac os.

Yeah I think its the best currently available laptop operating system, at least for my workflow. Don't think I'd use it on a pc though.

Your correct here. The only way to use anything microcontroller-related is by using the Arduino plugin for Xcode, or by setting up all your shit manually (eg: Clion, setup custom compilers, set up device interfaces if at all possible). Mac does indeed have no useful software for this type of work.

But if you are into application and web programming, Mac has a whole bunch of great - and even exclusive - software for you.

I use my Mac not out of fanboyism, but because I rely on my command line and my toolset which includes several Mac-only programs. If I were to one day focus on microcontrollers I would probably switch back to windows, because of the available tooling.

Can confirm that you are not retarded. Getting MacOS to work in a VM requires all sorts of weird workarounds, and even then it sucks ass. It's like trying to mod a unicycle into a car.

Yes, since 2006. Modern versions, especially since Yosemite, aren't just as good. It's not that i dislike it, it's that I'm finding harder and harder justify paying the Apple tax to get OS X. My next computer will be some business Dell/ThinkPad (I use a Dell at work, it's pretty good) with Windows 7 of course.

> Pic related. Pressing super to change programs is so much cleaner.
> Forced dock. (I know you can kind of turn it off, but it's like hiding the taskbar in Windows)
> No equivalent of "Super + [search term]"
> Ugly grey colours that can't really be changed. Something very possible in GNOME

Just bought a 2015 MacBook Pro 13, here's my take on OS X after almost a month.

Good:

>Incredibly power efficient, yet FAST. No unnecessary services running, etc.
>Shiny, much better high res screen support, text rendering.
>Touchpad is amazing, is complete shit in Windows for some reason.

Bad:

>Worse media player, forced to use VOX instead of Foobar. MPV instead of PotPlayer.
>Finder is retarded, doesn't show where you are, restricts file system.
>Microsoft RDP for OS X sucks.
>Dock fucking sucks, uBar doesn't work as well as Windows 7+ taskbar.

TL:DR

Run OS X on a lighter weight laptop, run Windows on a desktop/desktop replacement. Will update when I remember what else I hate/love.

I once bought an iMac G3 to fuck around with, but it was already obsolete at the time.
Then when I assembled my current PC it was by coincidence very compatible with OS X.
All the Macfags hype it to no end, but it's pretty awful as a desktop OS, works best on laptops.

caught you lying

hey guys, did you know that OSX is totally UN-CUSTOMISABLE?

YOU CAN'T CHANGE ANYTHING

I didn't know that. It's not lying

More bad:

>Can't use two finder extensions concurrently without bullshit happening.
>Have Dropbox, and odrive installed.
>Dropbox green checkmark disappears, have to go to system settings, extensions, uncheck and recheck.
>If you leave one unchecked it reenables itself at random.

fuck

>AppleScript + Bash

Can do pretty much anything you please, especially if you turn off SIP.

macOS too complex and difficult for linux users confirmed

so your only complaints about macOS are that third party developers from rival companies make shitty products for it?

I'm right with you, buddy…

More bad:

>Can't FUCKING SNAP WINDOWS without paying for 3rd party software that only supports a couple of commonly used applications.
>no official Netflix app, have to use browser.
>Can't minimize windows with dock, have to install uBar of equivalent.

More good:

Checking definitions is really handy, and quick.

Macfags halp

> Mac babbies crying

Yeah i used it for two months at an internship.

Pros
>Solid build quality
>just werks

Cons:
Doing anything other than using the IDE or terminal was like pulling teeth. A lot of features were really obtuse. Like cutting stuff, searching for stuff, and deleting stuff. It's like it thought I would fuck everything up if it didn't hold my hand the entire time. I was a bit insulted to be honest.

No.

Also, macOS isn't out yet, it's still OS X until version 10.12

>SIP
well, i see what you mean, but just write to a different directory. I'm looking at you, homebrew.

can you move the dock to the bottom?

>Searching for stuff
>Obtuse

Command + Space > Spotlight

Pros
Really fucking FAST, yet battery efficient. like holy shit this is what a computer is supposed to be like

Cons
It is too fast. I get scared.

>No easy way to navigate like in Windows.
>Can't see what path you are in, etc..

Yeah I know the command. I meant the searching inside Finder. It would search the entire computer for no reason.

Let me be more clear. I get scared that if I stop using it suddenly, that I'll hurt myself from the change in inertia.

>Really fucking FAST, yet battery efficient. like holy shit this is what a computer is supposed to be like

This is exactly how things feel for me. Nothing is slow. Thank you based Flash storage.

I get fucked up by the change in inertia all the time switching from my rMBP to a Windows running, 8GB ram i7 HP desktop at school.

even a change from a macbook to a surface pro has a noticable speed droop.

Anything you do in windows, like opening the control panel, just seems like the OS was inattentive, and you had to get it's attention because it's a pot smoking teenager working at some video store, and you gotta be like "HEY" and it's like "Whuu? Oh right. Huhhuh, sorry, man. Uh... What did you want again?"

Did the Hackintosh thing for a couple months. Twice. No matter how much I tried, I didn't like it. I always went back to Debian.

I will say though, that interface wise, OSX has surpassed Windows, especially Windows 10. But Linux beats them both on flexibility, customization, power, etc.

OSX has the productivity software, and it does have a nice, clean interface. Linux is king for technical people, tinkerers, etc. All Windows has left is games.

SSDs have the same effect on other OSes too you know.
Windows has great battery life too, only Linux sucks.

It was the media PC's OS in a sharehouse I used to live in. I found it very frustrating to use.

Re: shitty trackpad in Windows:

There's a better driver for it: 'Trackpad ++'. Downsides are: have to install additional 'Powerplan7' software to get it to run. It also disables itself every 7 days unless you donate ~$30 to get 'signed' version.

If the constant redownloading/installing doesn't bother you, the Trackpad ++ driver is much, MUCH better than Apples implementation via BootCamp.

>Windows has great battery life
okay, bub

Spectacle. You're welcome.

>i've never long pressed the green button

More bad:

Screenshots saved on desktop by default, no snipping tool.

Windows only has EVERYTHING. Fuck games.

Good to know, thanks.

>Press caps lock twice instead of using shift because I'm a hueg faggoto
>Linux and OS X caps lock is too delayed, Type shit in the wrong Case aLL the timE

What do?

Will try, thanks.

THIS. Look up video reviews of the MacBook Pro Retina, Windows battery life is practically halved.

>Puts it in a sudo-fullscreen mode.
>Has a 2 second delay

FUCKING WHY, just let me use stuff in a maximized format like Vindows

>Screenshots saved on desktop by default, no snipping tool.
man, you're just a total noob

cmd + shift + 4

press that

after that try
cmd + shift + 4 then press the spacebar to get only a window

OK, what's your point?
My 2012 12.5" Elitebook gets comparable battery life to the 2012 13" MBP.

>Finder is retarded, doesn't show where you are
Finder > View > Show Path Bar, or Command-Alt-P in a Finder window

>It would search the entire computer for no reason.
Finder > Command-, (comma) or Finder > Preferences > Advanced

Welcome. The driver + Spectacle make things much less shit. Might want to look into Bartender too, it clears up the menu bar somewhat.

Can you not fucking read?

You have no GUI for this, you can only save on the desktop, I already know about the functionality.

go suck Tim Cook's aids cock.

Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to use the mouse, also doesn't fully maximize, leaves a few pixels of space when using uBar. Switching back to Cinch.

implying that is relevant.

no address bar = shit

You said theres no snipping tool for screenshots which is just completely wrong

Fair enough. BetterSnapTool works the way you want (more inline with Windows style snapping)

It's paid now though, so torrent it or something.

Somewhat. I got a G5 power mac back (the cheese grate one) in the day (OS X 10.3). It felt somewhat constraining compared to my Linux box, but it ran WoW so it had that going for it. Then it managed to fuck up its own filesystem so hard it refused to start. Twice. At both times it happened when I was copying video files from a hdd to a disk image. And then it got obsolete, with Apple no longer supporting the PPC hardware.
Currently I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Possibly run it as a home server/NAS type of thing? It's currently a stand for USB charging (not a lot of furniture, sue me), its monitor is connected as a second display to my laptop, its keyboard gets visibly dirty very fast so its shoved in the drawer somewhere and its mouse is shit. Okay, the mouse itself is decent, but the scroll thingy (a small ball) is certifiably a piece of shit.

There isn't even a decent note taking software you have to boot windows for that.

It's not a tool, it's a function. Fuck off.

Holy shit, since installing, and 'uninstalling' spectacle my system has been completely unusable.

Finder is kill, dock is showing again, uBar is kill. How do I cleanly uninstall this?

>Thank you based Flash storage.
You can use that on any other os too you idiot.

>It's not a tool, it's a function. Fuck off.

So?

Grab.app

>You have no GUI for this,
what the fuck are you even talking about? do you even know what a GUI is?

Uh, i've never had issues like that.

Maybe: 'killall Finder' then reboot?

literally Grab.app

kill your pathetic self

??? You mean grab and delete the archive??? Obviously it left stuff behind after 1 restart, still unusable. Everything crashing.

Pic related macfig

jakjflda;jfdal;s jfucking mac os x can suck my lagging dick

All of these are provided by OS X.

They were referring to grab.app as the screenshot tool. Not removal of spectacle. Have you killed any remaining Spectacle processes via Activity Monitor?

I have never used OS X but you sound like very uninformed person.

die in a car fire, prick

I love osx but I hate to use my mac in the public cause people look at me

> infinitely small window control buttons
> beachball
> memory leaks in 3rd party apps like android studio
> powerd uses 100% cpu after wake from sleep
> can't forward a bluetooth dongle to virtualbox without disabling kernel drivers
> can't install sshpass from homebrew
> rmb not enabled by default
> caret shortcut doesn't work on some layouts
> usb ports wear out and cause the machine to hang when a device is inserted
> the cables are dog shit

cmd+shift+4 is snipping tool equivalent on osx

>> memory leaks in 3rd party apps like android studio
oh yeah, sure is apple's fault third party developers can't code

>powerd
maybe for 2 seconds. then it's gone.
on windows shit's going to run forever beacause their syscalls are a mess

>bluetooth
false.

>using homebrew ever

>rmb
finding the preferences too hard for your tiny brain?

>usb ports """"wear out"""
false.

>cables
you're gay

>> usb ports wear out and cause the machine to hang when a device is inserted

Lol?

yeah, my cables were pretty shitty for securing a 6' concrete pipe to a flatbed truck.

they were pretty alright for supplying power to a laptop though, as well as surviving the rigors of travel and daily use.

I used it for about 2 years

It's alright, it's not the greatest thing, it's just alright.

Nothing really to write off about, but it's AnyoneCanUseIt: The OS(tm)

just got it on my rig last week (i5-2500k 2xradeon hd 6850) and beside sleep not working (it's not working either on windows, mobo is prolly fucked). I enjoy it, it's weird at first because some shortcuts are different but you can set up keyboard shortcuts for anything. It "good" look out of the box, has a nice terminal, homebrew is ok. 9/10

>finding the preferences too hard for your tiny brain?
>right click not being enabled by default like every OS is somehow "hurr small brain if u don't like it"

MBPs have terrible backlighting

You're a proper cunt ain't ya?

What did he mean by this

Get a sticker

Yes. Over a year for work. Having window switching split between cmd+tab and cmd+` sucks. xcode being all tied closely to libraries sucks. File manager sucks. Brew sucks. Filesystem sucks. Things breaking every system update sucks. Applescript has been fucking broken for years with no official mention aside from some devs in a mailing list.

My company issued me a MacBook Pro about a year ago. I don't dislike it, but I do most of my work on a Windows 7 VM.

I like how OSX handles virtual desktops better than any other implementation I've tried. Other than that I'm pretty neutral about it.

> can't create a new directory inside a directory when using finder in tree view
> can't expand directories when filtered/sorted in finder