Why aren't Pyrolytic graphite sheets used on larger devices?

Why aren't Pyrolytic graphite sheets used on larger devices?

Could probably make a CPU heatsink very small and maybe passive if used along with the graphite film.

Other urls found in this thread:

industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/thermal-solutions/graphite-sheet-pgs/pgs/pgs-graphite-sheetssm?reset=1
amazon.com/dp/B00DKYN55A/
industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/AYA0000/AYA0000PE3.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cost

They're most efficient at heat dissipation in their thinnest configuration. They're astounding for spreading out a small amount of heat, but can't deal with higher power draw.

>Could probably make a CPU heatsink very small and maybe passive if used along with the graphite film.
I dont think thats how thermaldynamics work

bro bro, why not use plasma field displacement to cool our cpus and melt the planet at the same time?

i mean with that idea you can move heat or energy as it is really is, way faster than any metal.

>Pyrolytic graphite
Aerospace material.
Same reason your CPU cooler fan doesn't have diamond bearings.

Carbon is a total bitch to melt.

Its not specifically an aerospace material. Matter of factly it was designed for spreading out the heat of small ICs behind screens to prevent hot spot discoloration.
IE: It was intended for cellphones and tablets

Pyrolithic graphite is like casting carbon, carbon melts at at 3500 C which is above fucking tungsten. it is the temperature at which EVERYTHING melts.

It's just a material that is such a bitch to get no one uses it anywhere except spacecraft and aircraft because it's not worth it.

Do you realize that you're talking out of your ass, and its extremely obvious?
PGS is not expensive. You can buy it on Amazon.

industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/thermal-solutions/graphite-sheet-pgs/pgs/pgs-graphite-sheetssm?reset=1

amazon.com/dp/B00DKYN55A/

Unfortunately this

I'm talking outta fucking turbojet engine factory sitting my ass in an engineering department. Actual technology btw, the real one.
>PGS is not expensive.
Compared to what?
Go on compare the price of titanium to pyrolytic graphyte.
Why isn't everything titanium if titanium is so cheap?
I want a fgucking solid titanium house
>You can buy it on Amazon.
Yes, there also is titanium iphone case as cheap as 1500 USD.
FUCKING CHEAP

The fact that you can afford a tiny shred of PGS doesn't mean that PGS devices will be competitive on market.
Who the fuck will need a CPU cooler that is 15% better and 300% more expensive?

Sperging out when you get busted for talking out of your ass is the most pathetic move possible. A sane and reasonable adult would just stop posting.

PGS is not expensive. You're literally making things up, and you were proven wrong with sources.

> 60X90X0.1mm
>Price: $35.74

U suppose Platimum is cheaper than this.

>PGS is not expensive.
>60*90*0.1mm costs 35$
>a kilogram of Graphyte from Amazon would cost 26 million dollars

Totally not expensive.
You are literally the retardest.

>moving goal posts after making an ass of your autistic self

Its 115mm x 90mm. The thinner sheets have higher thermal conductivity, that isn't a downside. Trying to compare this to any other material by weight is just retarded straw grasping.
This is more than enough to spread the heat over the screens of a couple smartphones, and this is sold with consumer mark up, one sheet at a time, on Amazon.

Austic lying speg
its 115x90, and its less than $17. This isn't a bulk sale. Its a single sheets being sold with consumer mark up for hobbyists.
You got caught talking out of your ass, now you caught yourself in a giant lie trying to give yourself phony credibility.
It isn't expensive.

>Carbon is a total bitch to melt.
Pyrolytic graphite is not made with molten carbon.

Carbon can only melt at over 100 bar and over 4000 °C, so nobody melts carbon.

You're retarded, there's literally no advantage in using it over aluminum.
In fact it'd be worse at conducting heat.

This is a commercial garbage board, just let it be this way.

>its 115x90, and its less than $17.
Ok.
it's about 10M$ for 1kg.
I calculated the price based on price of one that lists the size in it's fucking name.
>This isn't a bulk sale.
Ofcource it isn't, I know, the cost is still INSANE.
Cut the price by a factor of 2000 straight outta my generoius ass.
Give it a generous 2000 times discount.
Still more expensive than gold for fuck's sake.

Application of such material would make anything incompetitive on consumer market.
Intel stopped soldering the lid onto the chip to cut the self cost of 300$ CPUs.
Apple sells shitty aluminum because they are too greedy to machine steel for their 2000$ Mac Pro

And you would expect them to apply something that is more expensive than gold in consumer market products?

>Pyrolytic graphite is not made with molten carbon.
Recrystallization occurs near the melting point if you're making it out of cheaper shitty "pencil grade" graphite.
There are several ways achieving that, all are expensive.
I used easy language given local auditory.
>so nobody melts carbon.
For artificial diamonds they actually are

>b-b-b-b-but muh weight!
The product isn't used by weight, retard. You're grasping at straws like a tried and true autsitic NEET who got proven wrong.
I linked a single PGS sheet. The page you're looking at isn't pure PGS, its a separate SKU, a different product laminated with an adhesive and separating layer that gives it different properties.
It is a product sold by size.

You would know this if you knew anything about the material, but you don't. As I said it is incredibly obvious that you were talking out of your ass. You don't know how the material is made, you don't know what it is, you don't know anything about the various types of the material, and you demonstrably don't know how its used.

Educate yourself instead of shitposting, lying autistic NEET.
industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/AYA0000/AYA0000PE3.pdf

In mass production industry everything is measured in tonnes.
If you were going to dish out a CPU lineup you need to set up a production line, and dish out hundreds of thousands of units to pay for that line.

Considering production cost of materials and work to make a CPU is like 30-50 bucks application of PGS will inflate it by no less than 10%.
Which will require more than 10% market price increase to cover.

>grasping at even more straws

Its a material used primarily for its thermal properties. The weight of it doesn't matter. A 1x1 meter sheet could weigh 1kilogram or 1microgram, its still going to be used in the same way. It disperses heat over its surface area. A smartphone manufacturer isn't going to apply it based on weight, they're going to apply it based on the size of the device's screen to have uniform heat dispersion across it and prevent hot spots.

The material is not expensive. You're a lying retard who doesn't know when to quit.
It was obvious from the get go that you were talking out of your ass. You've done nothing to change that.

A heat sink is trying to spread heat as quick as possible to a surface area that is as large as possible. A sheet of graphite doesn't have a very large surface area, especially compared to existing heat spreader. What geometry are you suggesting to use (that is actually possible with graphite sheets)?

>The material is not expensive.
>THE GOLD ISN'T EXPENSIVE IF YOU USE A LITTLE BIT OF IT

It's not a magic grease.
You can't just place a 0.000001 sheet there and see magic.

It conducts heat across it's surface relatively BETTER than copper assuming SAME THICKNESS YOU MONGOLOID

Heat conduction from one side of the sheet to the other depends on surface area, but heat distribution across the sheet depends on fuucking thickness.
if you make it 0.00001 mm it will conduct a little bit better than 0.00001 copper which is jackshit and literally fucking nothing compared to thicker copper or silver .

The usage case is exactly as I described, and is shown here: The material isn't used as a stand alone heatsink like the OP suggested. It replaces existing thin copper and polymer films that aid heat sinks in devices, and protect screens from hot spot discoloration. The thinner the sheet, the higher its thermal conductivity which is why its sold in such thin form factors.
Smartphones, tablets, TVs, anything where you have an IC sitting behind a more sensitive electronic component in a thin package.

>the lying NEET retard is still digging himself a deeper hole
>b-b-b-b-b-but muh weigh
>its the only straw I have left to grasp at!

Matter of factly you do put a thin sheet in place and "see magic." That is why it exists. You should learn how thermal conductivity is actually modeled instead of shitposting with caps like the mentally broken sperg child you are.
It disperses heat better than copper, aluminum, silver, or any other metal. It does so while being thinner. This lets a 1micron thin sheet sit behind a screen in a smartphone and do a better job at spreading out heat from the SoC than a copper foil sheet which is many times thicker.

Yet again, you're still just talking out of your ass. Mentally defective lying NEET autist.

>This lets a 1micron thin sheet sit behind a screen in a smartphone and do a better job at spreading out heat from the SoC than a copper foil sheet which is many times thicker.
>Excellent thermal conductivity:700 to 1950 W/(m·K)
>copper 350 W/(m*k)
>silver 400 W/(m*k)
1950/350=5.5
So that 17$ 0.1mm sheet we were talking about conducts heat about as good as a 0.6mm copper sheet.
Great fucking investment It saves you fucking 0.5mm of thickness.

>lying NEET
Just how mad are you about me having a job?

>I-i-i-i-i-i w-work in aerospace guys
>this material is sooo expensive its only used in aerospace
>*gets proven wrong about everything*

Lying NEET autists don't fool anyone, kid.

>>*gets proven wrong about everything*
See i can do this math and you can't.
This is why you don't have a job.
>>this material is sooo expensive its only used in aerospace
It literally fucking is.
It is massively applied in turbojet engines to reduce friction, in solid fuel rocket boosters and has a very limited application in medicine.
That one particular case of application mentioned above is an exception.
Application in consumer electronics is a theory and i explained why it will remain theory.

>lying retard thinks he can save face
>after being proven wrong about every single fallacious point he tried to raise
>resorts to moving goal posts yet again
>I-i swear I have a job
>I totally didn't make up a lie as a defense mechanism to give myself more phony credibility on an anonymous imageboard

The more you post the more pathetic it is. Just like all the attention whore faggots on Sup Forums who pretend to be girls for attention.

>proven wrong

I hve proven your point about thickness and weight wrong right here You haven't proven anything yet, except yourself fucking mad.
I can see why you mad though.
Given your attitude you can't be hired even for a burger flipper, you'd sperg out at your manager or customer and get fired next day.

Apply for support as mentally disabled then.

You didn't disprove anything, lying NEET speg.
You desperately tried to marginalize PGS's advantage since you've run out of every single last straw to grasp.
The material isn't expensive. Its heavily used in electronics, not confined to aerospace in anyway. You're laughably wrong about how its made, and how its used.

By all means keep shitposting though. You're definitely going to convince other anonymous posters that you're a big guy. Not like its the number one move of a hopeless retard to appeal to false authority in an argument, autistic lying NEET.

>marginalize PGS's advantage
I merely calculated that it conducts heat tvice as good as copper through the sheet and 5 times better across the sheet while being more expensive.

Right now panasonic sheets aren't applied anywhere.

ITT: Some NEET read something on wikipedia and suffers an autistic seizure while defending it.

Really spectacular, OP.

It's brittle and subject to wear.

Make a heat sink with it or fuck off you cuck.

I use it on my dragon dildo and so all you above and below my post can fuck off and stick it up your asses and then lick the shit off of it.

fuck you.