Need the trusty help of Sup Forums

Need the trusty help of Sup Forums

Am planning on buying a tablet, been looking at the Galaxy Tab A SM-T580 (2016 model of Tab A) and the Galaxy Tab S2.

I will be doing following:

Reading PDF's, epub, mobi, etc.

Watching series/movies/youtube what have you.

Browsing the beautiful and ugly sides of the so called internet.

Please help me Sup Forums for the love of Gentoo and all it's glory!

If you have any other tablet choice you may submit them but they have the be Android because free.

Bump, please help?

Help you with what?

To figure out which tablet is better suited or if there is any other tablet more suitable

Sup Forums is not your _________

Ask /sqt/ or /wsr/

Honestly OP, a friend of mine bought a Tab S2 just a few days ago and it's pretty much -the- tablet for me. It's real fucking fast (I honestly haven't seen an android device be -this- fucking fast, let alone samsung products), has a pretty decent resolution, very little weight and it's very thin. If I used tablets on a regular basis I would buy that without even thinking.

I have an 8 inch tab S2 and my dad has a 10 inch Tab A.
The S2 is obviously the more deluxe model and is utter overkill for what I wanted it for (reading).
However, I've also used it for watching videos in bed like the piece of trash I am as well as a kind of secondary computer at work (just to keep my personal and work stuff seperate I suppose.
The S2 is pretty powerful and will perform admirably in any task you'd want out of a tablet, and the super AMOLED screen is really nice.

I've used my dad's Tab A he got recently and although it's nice the resolution isn't that great and it doesn't hold much of an advantage.
If you want to spend hundreds of dollars, get the S2 for sure.
If you just want a reading device get a cheap e-reader, the resolution on the Tab A won't be doing you any favors.

Alright, thanks for the input guys!

is the Tab A the 2016 model or the one before? The 2016 model has 1920x1200 pixel monitor.

>is the Tab A the 2016 model or the one before? The 2016 model has 1920x1200 pixel monitor
my mistake, I remembered looking it up after he bought his and I must have only looked at the 7 inch model with has a 800p display.
In the Tab S2 line, both sizes have the same resolution.

This makes it a little harder, just quickly looking over the specs the S2 is lighter and I assume thinner, it also has more RAM, and we know how android is.
I'd say look further into some comparisons yourself and weigh up what features you want, is a fingerprint sensor important to you, thickness, weight, screen quality and brightness, price.

But forgetting all that, a 10.1 inch display with 1920x1200 pixels should be good enough for reading, so you can at least cross that point off, although it never hurts to go higher density.

NVidia Shield K1.

Want over 8 inch also it's not sold yet in my country :/

Ah, alright! Yeah Android eats RAM like cookie monster eats cookies...

Price doesn't matter so much I rather go for quality and long term, but gimmick features like fingerprint sensors isn't something I care much about, mostly about what I wrote in the first post what I'm gonna use it for, perhaps some SSHing also, am not much for smaller tablets in the 8 inch department, the 9.7 to 10.1 inch is more my type of tablet.

Thanks for your input!

>Android eats RAM like cookie monster eats cookies...
that's a very clever analogy, I'm going to steal it and tell people I thought of it.

>touchwizz

Shit has improved over the years. The Tab S2 feels clean in comparison with shit like the Note 8.0

Do you have any better suggestion you are welcome to tell me. (Not iPad)

>"improved"
>unremovable bloatware
>lag
>ugly
>shitty memory management
>"improved"

2013 nexus 7

or nexus 9

>unremovable bloatware
false
>lag
blatantly false. Please go outside for once this year and try the S2.
>ugly
Subjective
>shitty memory management
again, go try it

Really judging by your suggestions as well you seem to be stuck in a cave.

>"false"
>app manager -> 'samshit crap botnet service'
>no "uninstall" button, just a "turn off" button
>which is greyed out too
durrrr

Nexus 9 is discontinued in my country (Sweden)

Samsung devices always start fast but the bloat overtakes them quickly and they start to perform like shit. My dad has a Tab S 10.5 and it was really fast when he got it, but turned shit after the Android 5 update. Also it still hasn't gotten Android 6 yet. This is a device that cost almost as much as a new iPad.

My dad has a note 10.1 2014 right now. He's been using it for a while and speed wise I would say lollipop fixed it pretty much. Bought it last year for cheap and that thing is performing the same.

The only Samshit close to being worth your money is Tab S2, but it's still not as good as Nexus 7 2013 or Nexus 9.

Touchjizz and bloat will be irrelevant if you will only use it for lightweight media consumption and Cantonese Wonton Noodle Soup Board browsing, and you can remove almost every junk.

It will supposedly have stable CM13 support soon, its beta is already available albeit with issues.

"Touchwizz is slow" isn't completely without merit, but it's not noticable on a high end (such as it is) Samshit tablet as much as Samshit phones.

Nexus 9 is discontinued, maybe Sony Z4 is a better choice even though it's getting old?

still a better tablet despite being "discontinued"

Better how? Support your opinion with facts.

Texlast X98, any version of it. You're welcome.

Well if it's not being sold how am I supposed to get one?

>If you have any other tablet choice you may submit them but they have the be Android because free

Get a CF-20 and install Gentoo if that's what you want.

stock android
still gets updates
no bloatware
secondhand

Can't find secondhand in my country either... So... Any other tablet?

X98 Air II

maybe move to a less shitty country

Doesn't solve much, most countries are shitty.

I recommend you go for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. I use it for reading, browsing, watching tv series, and playing ported PC games. You can find starting at $200 on Ebay and Amazon.

It's a tablet, literally doesn't matter
Lenovo Tab 2 for $70, does everything

OP, a caution, the Tab A is a very poor quality, underpowered and overpriced device and you could get better performance from many cheaper alternatives. Such as an Asus Zenpad.

You state and Nvidia Shield K1 is too small, but for reading, 8" is a good size - approximately the same size as a paperback book.

I should mention that the original Tab S is as good as the Tab S2 and can be bought cheaper.

I take away 8" because I read a lot of PDF documents and around 9.7-10.1" there's not much need for zoom as far as I know but then again I might be wrong, it's difficult to find second hand in Sweden... :/

From what I've read Lenovo is poor at pushing out updates, prefer one for the long run and CM doesn't have support for Lenovo tablets.

Literal cuck country

You will NEVER get updates with a Lenovo tablet.

Maybe one if you are lucky.

That's why I'm not gonna buy a Lenovo

Yep, highest tax in the world yet we have not much to show for it, but that would be going off topic

Its basically why I won't buy any Android tablet.

I had to return the Pixel C because the wifi is fucking unusable.

Back on my KitKat Lenovo S2110A for now. Shitsucks.

Well, I need one for work, I work a lot of night and there's not much to do except browsing and reading things but right now I only got my phone (Z3) and feel like I need something bigger so I don' have to zoom so much in the PDF documents and have the phone 5" from the face.

Maybe better to go for the Z4? The Sony's usually keep updating in the long haul...

New nexus come out soon a 6p would be a better buy.

Z4 Tablet is literally the best thing around, the battery life is far ahead especially since it's so thin and light

I use an LG G Pad 8.3 with CyanogenMod.

Though they usually don't have memory card which is kind of a deal breaker

Surface Pro 4 i5 128GB 4GB Ram.

find a nexus 7 (2013)

it's still the best mid size tablet until hopefully another nexus is released

The refreshed model of Tab S2 has an updated CPU and Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box.

Dunno how much difference the CPU makes, though.

Update what? It's a fucking tablet, all your gonna do on it is consume media

Tab S2 is great.
I own one.
Battery lasts long, has a great screen and enough Power for everything.
And it finally got updated to Android 6.0.1

Dont get the nexus 9. I have it, the chinks at HTC put a very shit rubber on the back that starts to peel off after a while.

Yeah, no...

Cant find any nexus as I've mentioned several times, new or second hand

Leaning towards the Samsung S2 and Sony Z4

The Z4 is too expensive for reading pdf and watching netflix. Its great though. You are better off with an Amazon Fire HD tablet or a Jide Remix.

>"great"
>touchwizz

Just get a ipad mini 2. Will fit your size needs and battery will last far longer than tab s2. Its quite cheap now as its 2 gen old. All new apps run smoothly and will get update for at-least 2 more years. Also, ios 9.3.3 just got jailbroken. So, you can get most android features through cydia.
Honestly, I think tablets didn't need any more power since ipad air. Even the iPad pro is not noticeably faster.

Hi Apple.

The bloat is unremovable though. The device is still not rootable, not to mention bootloader-unlockable, as far as I know.

The issue I have with iPads is the non-existent extra memory card reader though...

I don't live in USA, live in Sweden where we don't have amazon if don't order from England

You can use external memory card readers with ios 9 and up. And if you use iFile or Filza you can directly manipulate the file system.

on ebay you can find lots of cheap Amazon Fire HD 5th Gen and Nexus 9 on the cheap.

Will check it out, thanks.

Ebay is everywhere except Sweden as well... :/ We got something called Tradera which is similar but doesn't have any

You can check Swappa, an online flea market for devices. They have ipads and android tablets there.

Wait until Asus ZenPad 3S 10. 1st Agust release in Taiwan

9.7-inch display
2048 x 1536 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio)
MediaTek MT8176 processor with two ARM Cortex-A72 cores, four ARM Cortex-A53 cores
PowerVR GX6250 graphics
Android 6.0 operating system
22Wh – 5,900 mAh battery
finger print sensor (located on front of tablet)
Quick Charge 3.0 support
USB-C connector
802.11ac wifi
Bluetooth 4.2
DTS Audio with support for 24-bit/192 kHz output through the headset jack
32GB storage
4GB RAM
microSD card slot (up to 128GB)
8MP rear camera and 5MP front camera
compatible with Asus Z Stylus
.28-inches thick – 7.15mm thick
15 ounces weight – 430 grams
size – 240.5 x 163.7 x 7.15 mm
all metal

What is the best screen size for reading? 9.7", 8"?
10.1 are too heavy, bulky and you can't use them with one hand without cramping...