/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
ZUK Z2 Rio Edition announced making it the cheapest SD820 phone on the market
gsmarena.com/zuk_z2_rio_2016_edition_with_3gb_ram_and_32gb_storage_available_to_preorder-news-19634.php

5.5" Xiaomi Redmi Pro is out: dual camera, 4050 mAh battery, OLED and brushed metal
gsmarena.com/redmi_pro_goes_official_with_helio_x25_soc_dual_camera_setup-news-19631.php

This new Sony Xperia flagship smartphone could be announced on September 1 at IFA 2016
phonearena.com/news/This-new-Sony-Xperia-flagship-smartphone-could-be-announced-on-September-1-at-IFA-2016_id83571

OxygenOS 3.2.2 update is now rolling out for the OnePlus 3
gsmarena.com/oxygenos_322_update_is_now_rolling_out_for_the_oneplus_3-news-19623.php

Motorola confirms that it will not commit to monthly security patches
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/motorola-confirms-that-it-will-not-commit-to-monthly-security-patches/

Samsung introduces Turbo Speed Technology for smartphone RAM performance optimization
youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_333mq9Ro

Amazon's $60 BLU R1 HD gets rooted, bootloader unlocked, TWRPed, and debloated
androidpolice.com/2016/07/27/amazons-blu-r1-hd-gets-rooted-bootloader-unlocked-twrp-support-debloat/

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1196051-REG/motorola_00889nartl_moto_x_pure_edition.html
amazon.de/Smartphone-Android-Bildschirm-Fingerabdruck-entsperren/dp/B01I50FXQM/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1225378-REG/samsung_sm_g930_32gb_gld_galaxy_s7_g930_32gb.html
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EGBP5eacj98J:https://community.zteusa.com/thread/11205 &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
comparecellular.ca/compare-plans-in-ontario/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194572-REG/lg_lgh790_a3usbk_nexus_5x_32gb_smartphone.html
digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-president-calls-monthly-android-security-updates-unrealistic/
windmobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices?ByType=smartphone&Byos=android
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm US with T-Mobile looking for a phone in the 200-350$ price range with good storage and great RAM. I wanted to get an LG G4 but still don't know if I should get it and if I did where to get it. Any help?

>Amazon's $60 BLU R1 HD gets rooted, bootloader unlocked, TWRPed, and debloated

Damn, those guys work fast. If I were american; I'd totally buy that phone.

Will getting a Redmi 3s over a 3 Pro be a good decision because of the android 6.0 support? I did a bit of research and found people saying that Xiaomi isn't going to update the 3 series, I don't want to buy a phone thats not going to be updated anymore.

Is it possible to change (lower) your screen resolution with a rooted phone?

2k resolution kills the gaming, even with a Snapdragon 820.

>everbody hyping up the ZTE Axon 7

Ok, but the camera sucks, and cannot even shoot RAW pictures like the OP3.

If you are an audiophil who focus on soundquality, the choice is clear, otherwise I am sure the majority would rather see a better camera.

Can the Axon7 even record 1080p@60fps?

Might want to look into the Nomone resolution changer. I believe you can alter resolution even on an app by app basis meaning those heavy games aren't so heavy anymore.

Out of curiosity, how many of you have bought a phone to play Pokemon Go?

>buying a device to play meme game of the month
scary thought

Yes, the SoC on the 3s is faster as well.
see

>Stuck with Lumia 925 the past few years
>Was ok until apps stopped updating
>No W10 upgrade, so fuck Microsoft
>Everyone assumes i'm buying a new phone for Pokemon Go

Fuck that game.

Comparison between OP3 and Nubia Z11.

People love to shittalk about the OP3, but at the end of the day, it is unbeaten in speed thanks to the constant optimization.

>Playing pokejew

Not Ingress master race

>go into store just looking at phones
>so what are you looking for in a phone, probably something to play pokemon go smoothly right? heh heh

is redmi note 3 pro still the goto budget performance phone? or is the redmi 3s better now?
the snapdragon 430 worries me, i dont game but i like to multi task and i want to make sure the phone i get can handle a few things at once, like maps, music, texting app, and snapchat. I go between those apps a lot and on my moto g i can have at max 2 of those open
will the 3s be ok for that? i really like the idea of a 5in phone again, i miss my nexus 5 like nobodies business
does anyone know if there is a way to unlock and root the redmi 3s yet?

Oh come on I was just about to finally pull the trigger on the 3s and then I read that they all come with that ugly ass pattern in the back, why did they have to do that to such a good phone?

I think the pattern looks quite nice. At least in that photo. Much better than the disgusting slippery design they went with the mi 5

Just posted in old thread but I will post again here.
My LG G4 just boot looped and now I want a new phone.
>Country
USA USA USA
>Carrier
I would like to buy it unlocked, but I will be using it with Verizon.
>Features
Good battery life
Good/Great Camera
SD Card slot or some form of expandable storage that doesn't require an external device.
And also """future proof""", in other words I don't want to get a new phone for another 2/3 years.
>Budget
None, just has to be worth the price.
>Size
As long as it isn't manlet sized, I don't care (< 4 inches)

I wanted the grey one, the one in the back in the pic, and its the worst looking one with the pattern imo, only the gold one has a smooth version but I don't want to look like my rich spoiled friend that bought a shiny golden s7 to look at fb all day.

If you're willing to shell out, you can snag a HTC 10 for $100 off until the end of the month.

Pretty good battery from 5.2" screen, camera almost as good as the S7, SD slot, snap 820 and 4gb ram, and you can get the Verizon version cracked to root it as well.

I can really see only 1 downside to OP3, shooting nighttime pictures.

It really sucks at this category.

No thanks I only play real Pokemon games on my Nintendo 2DS

>Nintendo 2DS

>not having a N3DS XL with a9lh master race

sure you even play bike simulatro 2013

Hey senpai, any thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Max?

>Guy hits me with his bike while i'm talking to an acquaintance
>Of course he's playing Pokemon Go
>His iPhone goes flying and the screen cracks
>Demands I pay for the damage
>Tell him to eat a dick because he got my khakis all scuffed up

Where can I get it for $100 off?

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this but I figured I might get help here and it'd be less likely to get deleted. I was wondering if the 2009 160gb iPod classic is actually worth getting. It's $500 new on Amazon which is a little pricey but I'd rather not get one used. Is there an iPod or music player outside of Apple better than this one? I currently have an original 5th gen iPod

Should i get a RN3P or wait for the new Redmi Pro?

HTC's website I believe. Even after, it's still $600 USD. But it's got everything I'd want in a phone besides OLED.

Anons, I need purchasing advice.
>mid-range budget (something around 200-300$)
>battery that lasts full day on heavy usage
>clean(-ish) Android, so Huawei, Xiaomi, LG and Samsung phones out
>snappy and smooth UI performance
>gaming performance doesn't matter
>camera doesn't matter
>well-build, preferably metal body/frame, but I don't require it at this price point
>carrier and bands don't matter, because I live in EU
>guaranteed software updates and support for at least a year

Does a phone like this exist? I was looking at Motorola G 4, looks like it meets my requirements

Just get a case sheeesh.

Nigga it's not even a phone, you can buy a MP3 player for like $50 these days and most have a micro SD slot

>$500
>iPod classic
Jesus fuck are you retarded? are all apple fanboys this delusional? holy shit.

no, the classic is amazing, but not $500 amazing

What? For half a price you can have a smartphone that does literally everything this iPod, and 99% more. Are you retarded?

Hmm I just feel like there might be something I could get at a better price. Any opinions on LG? I personally love their phones for their cameras, but this G4 Bootloop is just too much of a butt fuck for me to want to get another one. Is the LG V10/LG G5 worth it? Anything else that even compares while also maintaining a good battery life?

>Mediatek Soc

Into the trash it goes.

So I have to chose between looking like a faggot or a middle aged woman?

Xiammi Red Mi Note 3 Pro. There's no other choice.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon 650).
The de-facto recommendation for budget smartphones. Do not skimp and get the regular Mediatek powered Redmi Note 3, which doesn't even have microSD support (a necessity when buying phone with 16GB or 32GB of storage)

Pros:

MIUI
Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 is extremely powerful and power efficient. More powerful than the flagship Snapdragon 805, 808 and 810 in many cases.
As of now it's the only Snapdragon 650 phone out there, which makes it a no-brainer.
Excellent battery size (4000mah), and excellent battery life. Should last you much longer than a Samsung Galaxy S6, S7 etc...
Because it's a qualcomm SOC, you can/will get ROMs. This is in contrast to mania Mediatek (Helio X10 etc...) SoCs.
Basically improved upon the Redmi Note 2 in every way. If you're not completely broke, spend the extra $70 for the Redmi Note 3 pro, it's completely worth it.
Good build quality
In a few months, this will probably cost $150, which is the MSRP in China.

Cons:

Battery is not removable like the redmi note 2. You could change it but you would need to disassemble the phone. Then again the battery life is miles ahead of the redmi note 2.
You will need to get the 32GB variant if you want 3GB of RAM
Just released and in very high demand. This means retailers may inflate the prices and it may be hard to find. Check the prices below to get an idea of what you should be paying, don't overpay. Ask in the thread if you can't find a retailer selling at those prices.
LTE support in the US is practically nonexistent. (T-Mobile US has been proven to work using LTE Bands 2 & 4; other carriers are TBD)

Variants:

16GB w/ 2GB RAM Current cheapest price: $185
32GB w/ 3GB RAM Current cheapest price: $220

>Pros:
>MIUI
can this meme end

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1196051-REG/motorola_00889nartl_moto_x_pure_edition.html

Offer ends today.

>$250
>2015 Moto X Pure
>SD808
>metal frame
>rubberized back
>clean Android with custom Moto features
>Marshmallow
>2G (CDMA/IS-95 ) MHz:800, 1900
>2.5G (EDGE, GSM/GPRS ) MHz:850, 900, 1800, 1900
>3G (CDMA2000, EV-DO ) MHz:1900
>3.5G (HSPA+, UMTS/WCDMA ) MHz:800, 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100
>4G (LTE, LTE Advanced ) Bands:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41
>3000mAh battery capacity
>included 32GB SD card (fairly slow)

The only thing it's not ticking for you is a guaranteed Android Nougat update, as this is an unknown quantity at this point in time.

You are already a giant faggot by choosing a tech product by the way it looks you fucking gay cockgobbler

Besides that, it's a legitimate bang for buck phone.

Is this worth it? Want to upgrade from the original LG G Flex

Some like the V10, since it's the G4 2.0. The G5 is not really worth it. It's already being discounted since it's failing.

However, I'm not sure about any issues with the V10, and they're supposedly announcing a V10 2.0 version soon.

You can get a 32GB Nexus 6p from Amazon for that much.

I'd just get the pro.

Yeah. Samsung devices do this by default actually.

I'm thinking about it. I use an iPhone 6s currently but want to play on two phones at once. I can't decide if I want something JUST for the poke (R1) or something that could potentially replace my iPhone if needed (5x or 6p).

I'd get the pro

Don't get a G5 or V10. There's a bunch of other shit out there for the same price.

Mediatek, nah

I'd get the current one, price is great as is.

Note 3 Pro.

Over that? Yep

I bought it but I'm upgrading from a Nexus 4. Your G Flex is less of a obvious upgrade, with the SD800 and 3550mAh battery capacity.

My guess is you'd have to wait for the SD820/Exynos 8890 generation to reach this price before getting a really solid upgrade in value.

Are these posters still using Windows Phone?

Guys, I am considering encrypting my phone..but before I do it, I have a couple of questions.

>Will the proprietary Google applications have access to my data?
>Exactly how strong is the encryption?
>Will I be able to continue receiving updates?
>Will the performance loss be noticeable? (the phone has roughly the specs of the Galaxy S2)

I actually remember some of those threads. It's scary.

It's just that I can't seem to find it anywhere else for a better price, and I wasn't sure if it's actually worth $500 since I've never owned one. Thanks for clarifying I guess. From what I've read it seems to be the best iPod.

I'm not choosing it by the way it looks you retard, but the looks matter to me (and everyone else who isn't a neckbeard living in a basement.
>I'd just get the pro.
It feels bad buying an already non updateable phone, what about stuff like the fingerprint scanner support being native on 6.0 and not working with other software? I plan on having this thing for 2+ years

Mi Max is SD650 dumbass.

Can it work with T-Mobile's bands?

>Mediatek, nah

The space might be high, but you'd be better off buying a 2-3 year old phone under 5 inches and throwing in a 64/128GB SD card and using it as a mp3 player. You'd save about $350 that way.

You can get fucked hard by customs in the EU.
see

Anons it`s time
>(250 - 310$)
>Big fucking battery
>Great camera
>Stock or near stock android
>Gaming doesn`t matter
>Body doesn`t matter
>Screen size below 6.2 ~ 6.3 inch
>Location: Poland (EU)

Right now i`ll pick Moto X Play but i`m open to suggestions

What is your definition of "suck"? Low light looks average to sub average, but normal conditions look pretty good.
>OP3
Lack of SD card slot is always fucking inexcusable imo
>Cam X do Y
Look up the specs on GSMarena

amazon.de/Smartphone-Android-Bildschirm-Fingerabdruck-entsperren/dp/B01I50FXQM/

Anyone? Please?

Whats the most important things to look at if you're buying a used phone?
also is touchwiz still shit? kinda interested in a galaxy s7

>use a GS7 Edge with dragonfly black external DAC
>See Axon 7
Well, guess I'm selling my shit.

Used phones are a thorny problem.

The ESN that uniquely identifies the phone has to be "clean", which means it can't have been reported stolen, in order to be activated on a cellular network. There are many sites that provide an ESN checker tool which will report the current status of the ESN. However, in the case of phones which have been subsidized by a carrier, the ESN's faulty status is often not updated until months later, well after you've bought it secondhand.

Because the carriers are so delinquent (arguably intentionally so, to limit the growth of the used market and hopefully to redirect it to new phone sales), the process is a gamble.

>kinda interested in a galaxy s7

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1225378-REG/samsung_sm_g930_32gb_gld_galaxy_s7_g930_32gb.html

That's about the best price going on a new SM-930F, which is the international (Exynos 8890) version of the S7. Its GPU performance lags the SD820 variant but reportedly the 8890 is more battery efficient overall than the SD820.

1.) Don't.

t. dude who got a used Note 3 that randomly died in a month.

Alright I did it. After looking around on wierd chink websites I finally decided and ordered my Redmi Note 3 Pro (Prime) at TOP ONE trough AliExpress. There are some cheaper places but here they promise that, if you order trough DHL you are guaranteed not to pay import taxes. Almost all reviews of the shop are great so I thought "fuck it".

Any reason to cancel my order? Bad experiences with Top One? They will apparently install googleplay and another ROM. If they install malware I'll just need to put a new one on. Its about time I learn that.

Redmeme note 3 pro if you want huge battery, camera is alright, but it doesn't have stock android.

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EGBP5eacj98J:https://community.zteusa.com/thread/11205 &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

If these chinks actually commit to unlocking it, it'll be an amazing phone.

Just checked the Google Fi store page, is this really for canucks? I'm amazed to say the least.
I'm sure that 199$ for the Nexus 5x is the american cost, but holy hot damn is that good.

Only downside is I'll need it to be activated according to the store page.

On that note, anyone know a good cell-service provider comparison chart for Canucks, specifically people in Ontario?

Follow-up:
Checked the terms, they want me to have a Google Fi account and activate service for it, or else they'll charge 150$ extra to match the normal price, and Google Fi is for the USA only.

comparecellular.ca/compare-plans-in-ontario/

Found that googling "canadian cellular service comparison".

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194572-REG/lg_lgh790_a3usbk_nexus_5x_32gb_smartphone.html

$269 for the 32GB North American variant of the Nexus 5X.

Arguably a worse deal than the Moto X Pure at $250 from the same site.

Redmeme 3S/Pro vs Xiaomi Mi4c? Which one should I buy if I want a 5'' phone?

guess i'll stay away from used phones then
also nothing screams your a huge faggot other than gold phones

No, it's a good shop. when you get it post the version from about->settings to see if it's the correct MiUi version.

Checking some specs on the two, I guess it's safe to say the Moto X Pure is a better choice then huh?

I'm not exactly attached to any specific design, I'm just looking to get away from my Moto E 1st gen.

Thinking of buying a Xiaomi Redmi 3S to play Pokemon Go with the augmented reality thing. (please don't judge me)
Is it any good?
Should I go for it?
I'm totally new to this whole chink shit thing.

The black and silver variants were also $540 but have moved up to $580 in the last week, sadly.

SD808 on the Mi4c is better but no SD slot and a smaller battery.

silver is 550 on amazon but all sites seem to sell the black one for 580+ i think its because more people want the other colors over gold so they raised prices like the good goys they are
also do you think im better off getting an htc 10?

One difference between Amazon and B&H is that B&H offers their own 1-year warranty on unlocked variants (that are typically orphaned by the OEM when it comes to warranty). Amazon does not warranty theirs.

HTC 10? I don't care for HTC. Their internal design and construction are below average in my experience, so I tend to be biased against them. I would rate any variant of Galaxy S7 as, say, $80-$100 higher in value than an HTC 10. Of course, that's my subjective opinion but you did ask.

My Alcatel One Touch Idol Mini 2 is dying, so I need a new phone...which won't die within 2 or 3 years. Previous one was a HTC took 5 years to kill it, so it was a pretty awesome phone.

>Country
Eastern European country....
>Features
Just a little bit better than my previous phone is okay for me, but I mostly use it to take pictures, so maybe a better camera....
I don't wanna buy a new in 2 years.
>Budget
300$
>Size
No more than 5" I just simply hate those 6" "phones"

Atm I really like Sony Xperia XA....sadly the all mighty Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro is 320-340$ in my country which is too much for me.

just get a $60 blu r1

Don't get HTC. They're lazy fucks. digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-president-calls-monthly-android-security-updates-unrealistic/

>adly the all mighty Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro is 320-340$ in my country which is too much for me.
Order from Aliexpress.

300$ is exactly the Zuk Z2 which is the most powerful specs you could get away with for that amount of money (SD820+4GB ram). 5" as well.

The RN3P is great but the camera is on the weak side.

Should I get a used Note 4 or a new Moto G4?

Is it worth getting a Note for drawfagging? I like drawing butts.

Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple iPhone 6S Plus.

why are phones so complicated i only wanted one to impress normies

>one to impress normies
6P, the upcoming note or nexus, or the latest iphones
those are your choices, anything else will just make normies scoff in disgust

I'm looking to switch to Project Fi. Good or bad idea?
Lack of choice of phones is kind of shitty. I guess I'd be getting a Nexus 6P. Are they worth $400?

I have a 1st gen Moto X on USC right now. Kind of bummed about having to buy a new phone because this one still works fine.

Hey, so I'm not sure if you're a Canuck or not, but that site wont sell me the Moto X Pure, I didn't test with the Nexus 5X, but it seems like it's just some stupid shipping restriction.

>TFW everytime I find a good phone at a good price, I can't have it.

the upcoming note is really out of my price range but a man can try
also how much would you think the new nexus would be?

I don't know, you tell us.

pic related: boost plans

Can't help you there, Canuckbro. I'm from the lower 48.

>that conversion rate

Are there any good ROMs for Xperia Z5?

Is it possible to root my HTC Desire 612 without sunshine?

So, maybe you can help with this though:
I've checked a bit, and it seems Wind Mobile is the best carrier for what I need.
So going with them, which of the phones that they offer would you say is the best option here?

windmobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices?ByType=smartphone&Byos=android

Seeing as they'd pretty much all be free*.

*with a plan of course, but I'm on a provider that I don't care about and I'm not on contract with anyways.

How are doogee phones? Any good ones under $200?

The moto x. Black or bamboo and white?