I need an advice guys

I need an advice guys

In the next couple of weeks i will join a small startup company of ~10-15 people and ~5 working from home/different city.

We are debating what version control system to implement and what agile/scrum software to use (we need documentation software too)

One programmer wants to use TFS because he will work in Visual studio (whole project is in c#). One wants to use svn+trello. One wants to use Jira+Sourcetree. One wants git+trello.

What do you suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@dave_lunny/sane-github-labels-c5d2e6004b63#.ex521b1re,
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any help guys?

I was always working alone and never had to deal with version control system and i'd like to know which side to support, because everyone wants to push their own shit

cmon you talk about git all the time

shameful bump

SVN is just as shittier version of git, so use git.

Agile is a meme, so waste as little time as you can doing it.

>Agile is a meme, so waste as little time as you can doing it.

I know, but the big boss wants us to have it.

It's especially meme for such a small team, but idgaf, few hours/month talking about sprints and scrum and shit like that is worthy if it makes our boss happy

>SVN is just as shittier version of git, so use git.

Why is that? As i know, SVN is server/client software while git is p2p, what do they have in common so SVN is a shittier version of it?

Use Git for version control
Use Github or Bitbucket, or set up your own server with Gitlab/Gogs.
The issue tracker in all of these systems is alright, but you might want a wiki with more possibilities.
Redmine is alright, MediaWiki too Confluence is nice if you have the money.
Make sure you spend enough time documenting and writing guides. It's worth it in the end.

You can do the Trello-like stuff with the issue tracker too.
Read medium.com/@dave_lunny/sane-github-labels-c5d2e6004b63#.ex521b1re, it's worth it.
Read up on the Kanban methodology.
For communication in the team, scrum is fine, but it's basically very short-term waterfall.
You don't need software for that.

Source: started a small software development and network operations team

Saying git is p2p, while not wrong, is a bit misleading. A central repository, e.g. GitHub, is most often used. I prefer working with git, local commits and local branches makes everything easier.

OP here. If the whole team that i was in is in the same office i wouldn't care if it's svn or git/github/bitbucket but i'm concerned with those 5 people that will work from home, how the fuck will security work with them, we obviously can't share the whole project with those people

wait, svn doesn't have local commits/branches or am i wrong?

We got ourselves a server within the company that we're in (we are basically a new team of people within one huge company that has given us free hands to do our project), so we won't use any cloud solutions. How do we secure our project on that server from people working at home while at the same time allowing them to contribute easily?

svn does not have local commits
git has local commits
git wins

If you have to ask these questions, you are not ready to make anything valuable.

Seems like you're right

Does our guaranteed, safe company's server change anything, wouldn't svn be more logical to use in this situation even though it's lacking local commits? We only have to make sure the server has proper backup but it's a fucking huge company, i seriously doubt they don't backup their shit

>How do we secure our project on that server from people working at home while at the same time allowing them to contribute easily?
Get someone who knows what he/she/it is doing. Setup svn/git/whatever with ssh public key authentication.

Anything but git in $CURRENT_YEAR is retarded.
Trello is pretty good for scrum if you don't care about having to install other software to get things like burndown charts etc.
Fire the guy who wants to use SVN right fucking now.

>Get someone who knows what he/she/it is doing

We surely will, but i want to learn this for myself because we have pretty conflicting discussions how to set this whole thing up

>Fire the guy who wants to use SVN right fucking now.

why's that? i've heard this multiple times but i still don't get why

>company's server change anything
Not really. You'll need a central point to which people can push their work and from which they can fetch other peoples work. Doesn't matter if it's git, svn or some other vcs.

SVN is ancient shit, everyone will have to stop working if the SVN server goes down and if you lose your internet connection you can't work anymore either. Considering that parts of your team will work from home this is extremely important.

So you recommend git, right?

Does it have some gui for a couple of normies that will work in the office, not everyone will be pure programmer

>if the SVN server goes down

Do you mean the machine on which server is on goes down or the software itself? Because the server is sure as fuck, i would trust my life to it. I don't know about the software, how stable it is

Fire anyone who doesn't say git

but why?

also, i won't be able to fire anyone, i'm just a member of team

The server.
>Because the server is sure as fuck, i would trust my life to it.
What about the svnserve daemon?
Are you for real? Are you really asking all these questions? Are you still in high school?

>So you recommend git, right?
Over svn, yes. Not enough experience with other cvs.

Read the advice you've been given.

Also, yes, there are GUI's for git. But, don't use them.

Check out SourceTree or Git Kraken.

Learn the command line. Dear god, learn the command line. It will do you so much good.

>Also, yes, there are GUI's for git. But, don't use them.
I don't agree with this. A GUI is fine as long as you understand what you are doing. Of course some things are just simpler to do from the shell.

I highly recommend git, being agnostic to platform is good. As for agile, it's popular to hate, but the alternative isn't very appealing either. Do agile, just don't overdo it. Whatever you do, agile must force people to talk about what they are doing and it must force general awareness of what is going on in the company.

>Are you for real? Are you really asking all these questions?

I ask them because i never actually used version control of any kind, i don't own the company or something like that, someone else will decide what to use, i just like to learn about all potential solutions

i know command line, i wouldn't mind if we did everything in cli. but i know some people in the team don't know it and i'd really hate to see them struggling to learn git cli instead of doing their jobs.

What troubles me is that few people want fucking team foundation server, few of them want svn, and few of them want git, who to listen to and how to make sure others won't have to learn shit for days/weeks

This is the sort of issue that absolutely must be taken seriously. Whatever you choose make sure you actually spend time learning it. Have mandatory courses etc. Getting it wrong is a burden that will not go away until you right it.

I work at a large website at uses ASP MVC.

Never used svn but git plays nicely with a lot of other tools in that more people use it = more support.

For example Teamcity/Insert build tool here

You got merge requests which is nice. And for just 15 people you can get either super cheap or free enterprise level git solutions

Sourcetree is slow asf. Git Extensions and cli is the way to go.

I'm not advocating some shitty 3rd rate knockoff of git, I'm just saying It's not an issue that will solve itself. Not all git clients are shit either, I find magit to be very palatable but I'm not expecting people to use (spac)emacs just because I think it's great.